Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

UAW Pickets Themselves

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i think penalizing corp for moving jobs overseas is an idea but thatll never happen.

unless/until we have people in power that would not be swayed by currency.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimimc
unless/until we have people in power that would not be swayed by currency.
what id like to see is these CEOs seeing how peoples lives are affected when they make these decisions they think are right.theyre so insulated from reality and focused just on profit.

very heartless and ruthless.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
what id like to see is these CEOs seeing how peoples lives are affected when they make these decisions they think are right.theyre so insulated from reality and focused just on profit.

very heartless and ruthless.
perhaps (in some way) they should be forced to do something like that undercover boss
Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
First, if you only spend $30k on college, it's likely your degree is from a community college and not worth very much in the job market.
According to who? You?

I'm spending that much every year on my college education.
So what? Thats your problem, that doesn't give you the right to start slamming everybody else because they didn't make the same choice you did. I spent two years at a community college and busted my *** in school too. I have a college degree and frankly I'm insulted.

for someone out of high school to come out of nowhere, with only a basic education (and sometimes less than that), and to have a higher pay because they're basically extorting the company, while I have to prove my worth everyday, solve problems that you don't even see or can't even fathom, and do more than just not screw up, that's ******* insulting.
You know your generalizations are ridiculous at best and grossly ignorant at worst. You assume that all union people are basically stupid high school people whos mediocre education and training is worth minimum wage at best. I got news for you having a college degree does not make you a genius nor does it automatically make you worthy of X amount of pay. I have worked with plenty of college graduates who didn't have the good sense god gave a rabbit. Fresh out of college a degree basically gets your foot in the door and thats about it. Decent pay comes from experience and training, and fresh out of college you ain't got it so you ain't gonna get it. Been there done that. I'm a college degreed union electrician and I am damn pround of it. If I don't do my job correctly people die, and guess what I work right next to other union electricians that don't have degrees and they do the same damn thing. We prove our worth everyday, if we don't we don't have a job union or not.

You remind me of the idiots I use to work with when I got out of college. Green behind the ears college yuppies that think the world owes them something because they have a degree. Guess what them folks are out of a job right now and I am still working. And if your gonna slam people who don't have degrees, what about policeman, firefighters our men and women enlisted in the military. These folks put there lives on the line everyday and perform tasks you can't even imagine.

Unions have done more to drive manufacturing out of the country thus hurting the economy.
You know there is a lot of good info in this thread as to the real reason there is no manufacturing in this country. If you still believe this crap I can't help you. And I refuse to continue arguing with somebody who has made it up in there head that unions are the problem with the world. The stupidity in this thread when it comes to unions is absolutely breathtaking. Is there corruption in unions, of course there is just like in everything else. You don't slam everyone in a union because of the actions of the few.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Your logic is, well.....priceless.

I was a certified welder for years. I would always tell people a monkey can weld. When i see posts from welders acting like they are special it cracks me up, because it takes absolutely no brains to make two pieces of metal stick together really well. Getting them perfect takes a little skill. Your post reminds me of this. Unfortunately, people want to see scale. For someone who busts their *** in school, then have someone else come from nowhere and make more money is a slap in the face, as anyone can understand. I can't speak on the quality or work ethic of union workers because I don't know any. And btw, the workers didn't DRIVE the economy, the buyers did.
Who are you to say that people that work in factories dont bust their ***? I would suggest to anyone that feels unappreciated because they arent making enough compared to a union factory worker that if its not enough now then its never gonna be enough.

I think that the only reason a person is upset by a factory or skilled trades worker earning the same or more than an college educated worker is that they dont feel as superior as they would like in their quest to be a millionaire. I believe a lot of this attitude comes from our obsession of showing everyone just how much expensive sh$t we can buy. And the size of average homes going up and the level of luxury going into todays cars I see as evidence of this. Its about being able to provide for yourself and your family no matter what your education
Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't workers at Mcdonalds bust their ***? They have the same qualifications as a factory worker; should they unionize and demand higher wages?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Lethal Z
spent two years at a community college and busted my *** in school too. I have a college degree and frankly I'm insulted.

I'm a college degreed union electrician and I am damn pround of it.
Believe it or not, there is no insult intended here... but there is a difference between an Associate's degree and a Bachelor's degree. And people view it as such.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM
12 Second Club

I surprised people are even still posting here. There is no reasoning with union supporters. To them, all corporations are evil and try to hire bodies at subhuman wages. They wouldn't try to pay competitively to get the best workers....

Unions are the only thing standing between poverty and them in their eyes....
Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nhraracer
I surprised people are even still posting here. There is no reasoning with union supporters. To them, all corporations are evil and try to hire bodies at subhuman wages. They wouldn't try to pay competitively to get the best workers....

well, i seem to remember a bunch of anti union BS to get things started.

but most corp dont care about their workers so thats where unions come in.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Don't workers at Mcdonalds bust their ***? They have the same qualifications as a factory worker; should they unionize and demand higher wages?
So would you say that a factory is a good place for a 15yr old to work? Or is there a good reason that we keep young people from working in these places. I mean if its the exact same as McDonalds the surly youre right
Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Keep it up, people with your mentality will soon enough return the Jimmy Hoffa like mentality back in control of unions. And we can go back to riots and fighting rather than rational bargaining. The laws and cooperation of these businesses was what brought an end to these types of incidents in the past and now the theme seems to be "kill them off" when it come to bargaining. If you keep pushing then all thats left is the extremists.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannabess00
So would you say that a factory is a good place for a 15yr old to work? Or is there a good reason that we keep young people from working in these places. I mean if its the exact same as McDonalds the surly youre right
thats fine sidestep the real question, i expected nothing less. Whats funny is this is once again another reason unions are obsolete, as OSHA took care of your quip.

because these people "bust their ***" with no educational or experience requirements, they deserve to make a middle class wage, yet these other non-unionized jobs with the same requirements pay 1/3 of the wage? Should those workers unionize and demand a "living wage" (as you call it) for doing entry level jobs?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double post...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

thats fine sidestep the real question, i expected nothing less. Whats funny is this is once again another reason unions are obsolete, as OSHA took care of your quip.

because these people "bust their ***" with no educational or experience requirements, they deserve to make a middle class wage, yet these other non-unionized jobs with the same requirements pay 1/3 of the wage? Should those workers unionize and demand a "living wage" (as you call it) for doing entry level jobs?
Actually Unions are still very much NEEDED. Do you think large corps. such as Ford give a **** about any of their employees. NO. They couldn't care if you had a 102* temp, cancer, failing knees, or going blind. The only thing they're worried about is how many cars come off that line everyday. That's where a "Good" union comes into play. To make sure that these large corps. still have the "Humanity" aspect.

And I'm sorry but Ford doesn't sell a car for $5.00... Whoever it was that compared Ford to Mcdonalds is a dumb bastard. I'm sorry, but I go to Mcdonalds on my break and those kids in there move like they're in SLOW MOTION... There's no way any of them would cut it.... **** they just brought in 50 temps 2 months ago, guess what. There's only 5 still here... Do the world a favor and give yourself a "Frontal Lobotomy".

LethalZ, I love you man...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Hey, I'm a "Conservative" working a Union job. People like to make it out like it's us(the ones who actually build the company) who are ruining it... Sorry, but I'm just like you. I want fair pay so I can support my family.

If it wasn't for the major corruption in Unions, Politics, and Business our country would be in a much better place.

Glenn Beck's right!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
Actually Unions are still very much NEEDED. Do you think large corps. such as Ford give a **** about any of their employees. NO. They couldn't care if you had a 102* temp, cancer, failing knees, or going blind. The only thing they're worried about is how many cars come off that line everyday. That's where a "Good" union comes into play. To make sure that these large corps. still have the "Humanity" aspect.

And I'm sorry but Ford doesn't sell a car for $5.00... Whoever it was that compared Ford to Mcdonalds is a dumb bastard. I'm sorry, but I go to Mcdonalds on my break and those kids in there move like they're in SLOW MOTION... There's no way any of them would cut it.... **** they just brought in 50 temps 2 months ago, guess what. There's only 5 still here... Do the world a favor and give yourself a "Frontal Lobotomy".

LethalZ, I love you man...
If that was the case no one would work there and they would have no workers! The workers they could get may be lower quality but thats for them to deal with. I don't know why that is so hard to understand. OSHA regulates working conditions. In a real free market they could go with your dramatized working conditions and you could leave for the next place that will pay you 30 an hour for manual labor. Then again in a free market there probably wouldn't be too many of those.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Believe it or not, there is no insult intended here... but there is a difference between an Associate's degree and a Bachelor's degree. And people view it as such.

None taken, perhaps I should have been a bit more specific. I spent two years at community college and completed my bachelors at a 4 year universtiy. Trust me I know the difference between the two degrees.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Launching!

If that was the case no one would work there and they would have no workers! The workers they could get may be lower quality but thats for them to deal with. I don't know why that is so hard to understand. OSHA regulates working conditions. In a real free market they could go with your dramatized working conditions and you could leave for the next place that will pay you 30 an hour for manual labor. Then again in a free market there probably wouldn't be too many of those.
Are you retarded? That is the case and that's why we have the UAW... WOW

Just so you know it's like that, a few years back my wife texted me telling me she had miscarried our baby. When I told my boss I was leaving to go take her to the doctor my boss was like... "We'll fire you if you leave" I left anyway. When I told my Local pres about what she had said to me, he flipped out. Needless to say I wasn't fired when I left work to go deal with the loss of a 4.5month pregnancy... Unions can be a good thing cause with out I'm sure they woulda fired me.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question is, how much is enough? 10 years ago I worked in a John Deere plant down here (no union) making 16 bucks an hour putting together frontend loaders. I don't seem to recall having a problem making ends meet. I built my own home (which I still live in now) and had two kids. Did we have everything we'd like to have? No. But I'd have to question the rationale of someone who thinks they NEED their manual labor job to pay them 25-30 an hour for them to have a decent lifestyle. I've done factory labor, in the Louisiana heat no less. I know how backbreaking it can be. But I basically learned that job on site in less than a week. It's not like John Deere couldn't go out and find 10 more ppl to do that work the next week if I'd quit.

Now, that aside...that company treated me like family. Never any hassles with taking time off. Great benefits. Good job security (even when work slowed way down). Maybe they're an exception, but I think it's a bit broad to blame a corporation's greed to assert your complaints about not being able to make 30 bucks an hour to do a job that takes less than a week to pick up.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I think I make enough money, and I'm not compaining about anything but corruption upstairs. It's like the GM deal.... Take our(Tax payers) money then claim Bankruptcy. Meanwhile they're spending cash on Hot Rod Powertour like they didn't just claim bankruptcy.

Considering an NFL player gets paid millions to destroy his body, I only get made 10'sof thousands to destroy mine in a much harder, more boring way...

It was Henry Ford's idea that every employee be able to afford the product they make...

Quick Reply: UAW Pickets Themselves