Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM stepping up!! Z06X and Camaro SSX coming!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
So what suspension upgrades did the Camaro actually get? Paint, a cage, a stripped interior, and lest I forget, a fire suppression system don't really mean **** if the suspension isn't up to par.

With Ford and now Dodge both having production drag cars, I thought GM would have gone that route with the Camaro. An LS9-powered, stripped Camaro with an upgraded rear would be pretty competitive at the drag strip.

I'd settle for a stripped down LS3, keep the price in the low $30s and you'd sell them like hot cakes.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by chaman
They use to, but it got lost along the way. Imagine just what it could have been nowadays if it would have followed a similar course as the Corvette...

One of my favorite cars of all time!
Yeah, but the Thunderbird was always intended to be more on the "soft" side than the Corvette. And they've bastardized it enough already, where I don't think it will be coming back.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
Meh, I've never seen a Civic Type - X, but I have seen a Ferrari FXX.

R and S maybe, depends on the application.(C6.R ???) X really isn't close to ricer territory yet IMO.
Hmm. It seems traditionally they've simply added an extra word in the name or added the option code, e.g. Cobra, Super Sport, Grand Sport, Stingray, etc.

Alphanumerics FTW1!! ?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x = 10, it is 2010 . OMGGGGGGGGGGGG
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

All these new cars are nice guys but Im just going to stick with my 98-02 f-bodys I love them more plus if I feel like blowing 30k or even 40k I will put it in a f-body and you can bring your new car and I will be seeing u behind me the entire damn time lol
Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see said ^ 40k f-body versus that Z06X around a track.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Brandon331
All these new cars are nice guys but Im just going to stick with my 98-02 f-bodys I love them more plus if I feel like blowing 30k or even 40k I will put it in a f-body and you can bring your new car and I will be seeing u behind me the entire damn time lol
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Teching In

These aren't for sale...just concept cars. I am not ford or chevy I appreciate great cars either way. Ford is smoking Chevy here though, they already have a version of the SSX and it is for sale for 79k no way they could sell the SSX for that.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/1...2010-pri-show/
Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by the22driver
These aren't for sale...just concept cars. I am not ford or chevy I appreciate great cars either way. Ford is smoking Chevy here though, they already have a version of the SSX and it is for sale for 79k no way they could sell the SSX for that.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/1...2010-pri-show/
And you think Ford can sell THAT for $79k? No way my friend. They already tried a venture like that (remember the Cobra R?) and it failed miserably.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
***Repost Police***

I wouldn't say it failed miserably considering they had a pre-planned production run (300 cars, IIRC), and they sold all of them.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

it should be the SS 3.141592
Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
And you think Ford can sell THAT for $79k? No way my friend. They already tried a venture like that (remember the Cobra R?) and it failed miserably.
Quoted for lol, Cobra R = fail?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Double posting phone. But really you build a limited production car, require a license just to purchase the latter versions and still sell every copy... Fail?

P.S. create 2 more iterations 2 and 5 years apart, with production increasing with each generation?

Last edited by 88blackgt; 12-04-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

How does every new Camaro and it's version get compared to an ultra-limited 01 Cobra R?

I don't think 300 units hardly counts as "production".

Not trying to downplay it here Ford guys
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
***Repost Police***

Only person to bring up the Cobra R that I recall was Blakbird, yesterday.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

I'd like to see GM produce both these cars, mostly the Camaro, since the Corvette is already covering about every possible want from customers. Sadly, I expect it will be a very expensive upgrade for either. The good news is, GM will sell a butt load of the parts that make up the cars exterior, specifically the carbon fiber parts. They'll reduce weight for sure and many owners will snap up these race style parts, helping GM profit.

You call selling every car built before the end of the model year a failure? I don't think there's a way to properly describe how incorrect that is. Suffice to say, no it wasn't a failure at all. It was the epitome of success.

Btw, when you got onto Chaman about being a fanboy, you mentioned that when the Z comes out it will outperform the GT500(albeit only for a year)... Yet you complained to him about comparing cars without performance stats available, saying we haven't seen the stats of the Z yet. That didn't make any sense. For all we know, the GT500 (and almost certainly the GT350) will perform better than the Z when it does arrive. We just don't know because we've not seen the Z out here yet. We do "know" (one track) the Mustang bested the Corvette GS, and that's pretty darned good. His point was valid in that we have seen the Mustangs already.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
How does every new Camaro and it's version get compared to an ultra-limited 01 Cobra R?

I don't think 300 units hardly counts as "production".

Not trying to downplay it here Ford guys
1st of all, there was no 2001 Cobra R. I suppose that makes it super-ultra-limited! There was a 1993, 1995 and 2000 Cobra R. Next, I don't see any real comparison being done.

Finally, there are at least 2 current Mustangs available that (so far) seem to perform better than that old Cobra R, both bearing the nameplate "SHELBY GT." These are also made by the SVT department, apparently, like the Cobra R's were... and all Cobra's I would think.

Those cars are a good reason for GM and American automobile fans in general to want a solid high end performer wearing "Camaro" badges. I'm kinda tired of having to compare the upper end Mustangs to Corvettes myself. More than tired of it when the base Corvette loses heads up comparisons to any Mustang, specifically any that sells for less and still seats 4.

BRING ON THE Z/28! Let's see it already, on the road or at least in the show room. For the record, I'm still a Corvette fan and would prefer a ZO6 over any version Mustang or Camaro available at current pricing for DD use. It's simply one of the most titillating cars ever built. Corvette SCREAMS "excitement" while most others are only pointing toward it.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by It'llrun
You call selling every car built before the end of the model year a failure? I don't think there's a way to properly describe how incorrect that is. Suffice to say, no it wasn't a failure at all. It was the epitome of success.
Sure...when you neglect to mention the discounts and promotions required to sell JUST 300 cars. They were able to sell about half the production based on specs alone, BEFORE the car even hit the road. Once people learned what the car really was, sales slowed. The car was riddled with issues and was terribly outperformed at it's price point. Again, a great idea ruined by overpricing. I was in college and working for the Lehigh Valley's largest Ford dealer at the time, so I know all about this car and how you could actually pick it up for only a couple grand more than a fully loaded GT. I would have taken the GT over it myself.

It's funny because if I was talking about a 2000 Camaro R, the same members would be calling it a massive failure.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'd like to see GM produce both these cars, mostly the Camaro, since the Corvette is already covering about every possible want from customers. Sadly, I expect it will be a very expensive upgrade for either. The good news is, GM will sell a butt load of the parts that make up the cars exterior, specifically the carbon fiber parts. They'll reduce weight for sure and many owners will snap up these race style parts, helping GM profit.

Btw, when you got onto Chaman about being a fanboy, you mentioned that when the Z comes out it will outperform the GT500(albeit only for a year)... Yet you complained to him about comparing cars without performance stats available, saying we haven't seen the stats of the Z yet. That didn't make any sense. For all we know, the GT500 (and almost certainly the GT350) will perform better than the Z when it does arrive. We just don't know because we've not seen the Z out here yet. We do "know" (one track) the Mustang bested the Corvette GS, and that's pretty darned good. His point was valid in that we have seen the Mustangs already.

1st of all, there was no 2001 Cobra R. I suppose that makes it super-ultra-limited! There was a 1993, 1995 and 2000 Cobra R. Next, I don't see any real comparison being done.

Finally, there are at least 2 current Mustangs available that (so far) seem to perform better than that old Cobra R, both bearing the nameplate "SHELBY GT." These are also made by the SVT department, apparently, like the Cobra R's were... and all Cobra's I would think.

Those cars are a good reason for GM and American automobile fans in general to want a solid high end performer wearing "Camaro" badges. I'm kinda tired of having to compare the upper end Mustangs to Corvettes myself. More than tired of it when the base Corvette loses heads up comparisons to any Mustang, specifically any that sells for less and still seats 4.

BRING ON THE Z/28! Let's see it already, on the road or at least in the show room. For the record, I'm still a Corvette fan and would prefer a ZO6 over any version Mustang or Camaro available at current pricing for DD use. It's simply one of the most titillating cars ever built. Corvette SCREAMS "excitement" while most others are only pointing toward it.
My bad about the year - 2000 it is.

Agree with pretty much everything here^
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Sure...when you neglect to mention the discounts and promotions required to sell JUST 300 cars. They were able to sell about half the production based on specs alone, BEFORE the car even hit the road. Once people learned what the car really was, sales slowed. The car was riddled with issues and was terribly outperformed at it's price point. Again, a great idea ruined by overpricing. I was in college and working for the Lehigh Valley's largest Ford dealer at the time, so I know all about this car and how you could actually pick it up for only a couple grand more than a fully loaded GT. I would have taken the GT over it myself.

It's funny because if I was talking about a 2000 Camaro R, the same members would be calling it a massive failure.
You know I agree that for what you got IMO it was overpriced, but it was sold as a race car so what did you expect? Like this Z06X and SSX, there price will be ridiculous as well. And if it makes you feel better, I think they too will be a waste of money. With that said I remember this Cobra R, availability was horrible. If you didnt have an order placed on it early you didn't get one. So as overpriced as you or I may think it was the bottom line is they sold all 300. In fact I believe had they made another 300 they would have sold all those too.

Last edited by Lethal Z; 12-05-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Sure...when you neglect to mention the discounts and promotions required to sell JUST 300 cars. They were able to sell about half the production based on specs alone, BEFORE the car even hit the road.
I only know 1 guy who purchased a 2000 Cobra R. He paid over 53K for his and ordered it pre-production as I remember. He only "got in on the sale" because he'd already bought a new 95 R, according to him. Incidentally, he also had a 1993 R(truly rare) and I believe he still has that one. but Idonno because I moved. I also remember reading many articles at the time telling the world they could only get one of the 300 if they'd already ordered it and such claims as, like the 1995 R, they were sold before the color was even verified to the public(though we all expected that not so great red).

Once people learned what the car really was, sales slowed. The car was riddled with issues and was terribly outperformed at it's price point.
Really? By what? The only car that terribly out-performed it from an American made standpoint was the Viper which stickered about 15-20 grand more, INCLUDING the ZO6 of the time. The Z did cost a hair less on the sticker. Sales didn't slow... 300 built doesn't allow for any such thing because they either sell of they don't. They sold. Ford would've surely sold another 5,000, had they produced them. At that point, pricing may have become an issue, but at 300... no chance and it was not an issue, clearly. They're still valued around 30-50K(condition depending). That's 2000 Viper GTS range... If nobody wanted one, the price would drop. Even the '01 ZO6 is valued under 25K on the HIGH end.

Again, a great idea ruined by overpricing. I was in college and working for the Lehigh Valley's largest Ford dealer at the time, so I know all about this car and how you could actually pick it up for only a couple grand more than a fully loaded GT. I would have taken the GT over it myself.
NOBODY could get one for 2-3K more than a loaded Mustang GT at that time. You're nearly insane for saying they could. The car stickered for around $50,000 and the GT in max form was under 30. There's NO chance Ford to a $20,000 hit on a new 2000 Cobra R. It simply DID NOT happen.

Yes, it was over-priced, but not for any reason other than what it lacked in creature comforts and otherwise standard GT features, like a rear seat.

I do wonder how you know all about it, considering your dealer probably only got 1, delivered at night, hardly seen by anyone, not to mention you surely weren't positioned to buy one. I worked at a dealership back then myself, and we weren't allowed to touch ours without permission from the GM.

No, they wouldn't. The Camaro was a solid performer. Had GM offered one to compete as much better than the Z/28 or SS as the Cobra R did over the GT for just 55K and limited production to only 300 models, they'd have sold all of them in hours if not minutes and that would've been a raving success.

Enough on all this. I was away for the past few weeks.

Quick Reply: GM stepping up!! Z06X and Camaro SSX coming!!