Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

camaro vs mustang sales for oct.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default camaro vs mustang sales for oct.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...igures-488873/

i expect these cars to sell comparably for at least awhile.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping my eye on this as well. Its not a huge suprise though, the lot down the street from me can't keep any 2011 GTs on the lot.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I dont expect it to stay comparably at all. The gap between them will continue to be bigger in favor of the Mustang. The current Camaro platform needs a revamp ASAP to stay competitive.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

lol the camaro is going to lose its *** soon. i think a GM exec said "100,000 units a year" to keep building them?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
I dont expect it to stay comparably at all. The gap between them will continue to be bigger in favor of the Mustang. The current Camaro platform needs a revamp ASAP to stay competitive.
The Camaro platform is newer then the Mustang platform just an FYI.

As the rest have said this trend will continue for a while the 2010 style for the Mustang along with new motors for 2011 are helping the Mustang its appeal will slowly die down just as it did for the new Camaro. Do not forget that the Mustang has more models offered (Base, Base conv, GT, GT Conv, Shelby, Shelby Conv) where as Camaro you get Base and the SS and that's it until the Conv and Z28 hit the market. In the end its great to see both cars selling well more so when you consider the economy and the whole "going green" thing for cars.

Something GM needs to do with the Camaro is offer more factory options for the cars such as different wheels, decals and all that stuff Ford offers many different package options for the Mustang (something they have always done) where GM does not have as much and they should though slowly they are offering more.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i think they will swap back and forth. we're in a depression. one sells better, then the other sells better. neither will see huge sales for a while. the 2014 is an all new mustang.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Once Chevy starts offering the different types of Camaros then it should be pretty interesting. I know once the Z28 comes out those yellow lines are going to be skyrocketing
Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Once Chevy starts offering the different types of Camaros then it should be pretty interesting. I know once the Z28 comes out those yellow lines are going to be skyrocketing
Ehh I doubt it. Those yellow lines are so high because of V6 sales, not a whole lot of people are going to be spending the $50k+ for a Z28. Ford's shot up because they came out with a new kick *** V6 and a kick *** V8 in the GT. I think they will stay pretty close to even, Chrysler needs to get their *** in gear and make something that doesn't weigh more than 2 tons.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

I've only owned GM stuff (except for my cherokee) and plan on doing so but gotta hand it to the homos at Ford, that new black 5.0 I see everyday on the way to work is really something else.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
The Camaro platform is newer then the Mustang platform just an FYI.

As the rest have said this trend will continue for a while the 2010 style for the Mustang along with new motors for 2011 are helping the Mustang its appeal will slowly die down just as it did for the new Camaro. Do not forget that the Mustang has more models offered (Base, Base conv, GT, GT Conv, Shelby, Shelby Conv) where as Camaro you get Base and the SS and that's it until the Conv and Z28 hit the market. In the end its great to see both cars selling well more so when you consider the economy and the whole "going green" thing for cars.

Something GM needs to do with the Camaro is offer more factory options for the cars such as different wheels, decals and all that stuff Ford offers many different package options for the Mustang (something they have always done) where GM does not have as much and they should though slowly they are offering more.
More options? For what? Decals?? Are you serious? This issue is deeper than a few decals for Christ sakes!...

What GM NEEDS to do is improve the platform completely. For once they need to put it in a diet. Car is too damn heavy. Lighter materials perhaps but something about its weight is needed. Price...its still pricier than the Mustang. If they finally decide to do something about these two factors they could really become a competitor against the Mustang.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, the age of the platform means nothing if your car is 250lbs more than your closest competitor.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With each having new models, engines, packages, etc. coming out all the time, past, present and future, I see them swapping leads many times. As long as the sales stay up for both, who cares who is winning. V8 > green BS.

Originally Posted by gocartone
Chrysler needs to get their *** in gear and make something that doesn't weigh more than 2 tons.
They really don't have a car in the same category as the Camaro and Mustang. Chrysler is aiming at different a different audience. The Challenger is a niche market, a true muscle car (not pony car). Big, heavy, and lots of power. The other SRT8s are pertty much the same, but for people who want it in the form of a functional 4 door.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WSsick

They really don't have a car in the same category as the Camaro and Mustang. Chrysler is aiming at different a different audience. The Challenger is a niche market, a true muscle car (not pony car). Big, heavy, and lots of power. The other SRT8s are pertty much the same, but for people who want it in the form of a functional 4 door.
Chrysler came out with an ad comparing the different trims of Challengers to the Camaro and Mustang. I would say they are gunning for the same market but putting out a car that doesn't keep up.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WSsick
Tell that to Chrysler. They themselves have classified it as their re-entry into the pony car market. It started life as a pony car (in 1970) and it will die again a pony car. They just messed up by making it rolly-polly, over half a foot longer than both of it's competitors, and very over weight.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
More options? For what? Decals?? Are you serious? This issue is deeper than a few decals for Christ sakes!...

What GM NEEDS to do is improve the platform completely. For once they need to put it in a diet. Car is too damn heavy. Lighter materials perhaps but something about its weight is needed. Price...its still pricier than the Mustang. If they finally decide to do something about these two factors they could really become a competitor against the Mustang.
Seriously, how is the Camaro not a competitor now against the Mustang? They run the same dam times stock and its a drivers race between the two in that stock form. Sure it weights 200lbs more (when u compare a base bare bones model SS and GT who knows once u add options to either) but it also has a HP advantage over the 5.0 so yeah makes them even. Also I can grantee you well over half the people buying these cars can care less about the weight not everybody drag races you know. I mean yeah id like to see the Camaro shed some pounds which it will when the refresh style comes out in a couple years. As for the V6 cars who cares about HP that much those cars are for those looking for the looks and good MPG which the Mustang only gets 1mpg better on highway big deal. So saying that GM needs to make the Camaro competitive for the Mustang is false seeming it already is and it also made Ford step up its game to compete back to the Camaro.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yup, that and most people buying don't worry THAT much about performance. What's hurting the Challenger so much is that not only are they worse performing, but they cost more and get much worse gas mileage. The V6 only gets 25 on the highway compared to 29 and 31 for the Camaro and Mustang, and had only been making 250hp. The SRT8 starts at $10k more than the GT and SS yet is worse performing in every way (fuel economy, acceleration, and handling).
Old 11-13-2010, 06:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Seriously, how is the Camaro not a competitor now against the Mustang? They run the same dam times stock and its a drivers race between the two in that stock form. Sure it weights 200lbs more (when u compare a base bare bones model SS and GT who knows once u add options to either) but it also has a HP advantage over the 5.0 so yeah makes them even. Also I can grantee you well over half the people buying these cars can care less about the weight not everybody drag races you know. I mean yeah id like to see the Camaro shed some pounds which it will when the refresh style comes out in a couple years. As for the V6 cars who cares about HP that much those cars are for those looking for the looks and good MPG which the Mustang only gets 1mpg better on highway big deal. So saying that GM needs to make the Camaro competitive for the Mustang is false seeming it already is and it also made Ford step up its game to compete back to the Camaro.
The people that care about the Camaro weighing ~250lbs more than the Mustang are also the people that don't only care about drag racing .
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The people that care about the Camaro weighing ~250lbs more than the Mustang are also the people that don't only care about drag racing .
This weight issue has LESS THAN NOTHING to do with sales. Throughout all the conversations in this section, one thing has never changed...enthusiasts continue to expect manufacturers to cater to them. This will never happen, until you can turn 100% of the car buying public into enthusiasts of course. The fact that the camaro weighs more than the mustang has NOTHING TO DO with how it is selling. NOTHING. Maybe 5% of Camaro and Mustang buyers are cognisant of how much their car weighs in comparison to its competitor. We know it, but we make up less than 1% of the car buying public. For the most part, the majority of the stuff we argue about in these sales threads never even crosses the mind of 90% of Camaro/Mustang buyers. What matters to them over all else is style - a kickass looking exterior and a plush and upscale looking interior. Next in line is stats...how much HP/TQ, and how many MPG. Weight is not even considered for the vast majority of buyers.

So in short, GM could magically remove 200lbs from the Camaro tomorrow, and would not increase their sales in any noticeable way.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The mustang has always been a good selling car do to a lot of die hard Mustang owners. The 4th gen fbodys had hard tops, ttops, and converts and still sold less and were a much better that anything for put out from 93 to 02. I thing the Camaro is a nice car but I rather have a used C6 if I was getting a GM or a 4th gen SS ttop car. If I actually was looking for a new car i would have to say I like the new Mustang better not just for the 5.0 but the interior design as well as the ext appearance.I was doing mobile painting at a Ford lot and I have worked 2 differnt Chevy lots, and a dodge. Mustangs both new and used have always sold while the challenger SRT8 sold good the 1st year when they brought the rest of the line up out the following model year they sold but not as fast alot sat around for a few months saw the same thing with camaro ,recorder cars and the 1st send sold fast now you can go up the street and get one in any color u want, see them just sitting day after day for months now. Chevy needed to make a convert already and I think they would have helped sales numbers a bit.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
This weight issue has LESS THAN NOTHING to do with sales. Throughout all the conversations in this section, one thing has never changed...enthusiasts continue to expect manufacturers to cater to them. This will never happen, until you can turn 100% of the car buying public into enthusiasts of course. The fact that the camaro weighs more than the mustang has NOTHING TO DO with how it is selling. NOTHING. Maybe 5% of Camaro and Mustang buyers are cognisant of how much their car weighs in comparison to its competitor. We know it, but we make up less than 1% of the car buying public. For the most part, the majority of the stuff we argue about in these sales threads never even crosses the mind of 90% of Camaro/Mustang buyers. What matters to them over all else is style - a kickass looking exterior and a plush and upscale looking interior. Next in line is stats...how much HP/TQ, and how many MPG. Weight is not even considered for the vast majority of buyers.

So in short, GM could magically remove 200lbs from the Camaro tomorrow, and would not increase their sales in any noticeable way.
I don't think I ever said that if the Camaro was lighter it would sell better... my response was to the guy that thought that only people that cared about the weight difference were the people that drag raced.
Originally Posted by RyanJM
The mustang has always been a good selling car do to a lot of die hard Mustang owners. The 4th gen fbodys had hard tops, ttops, and converts and still sold less and were a much better that anything for put out from 93 to 02. I thing the Camaro is a nice car but I rather have a used C6 if I was getting a GM or a 4th gen SS ttop car. If I actually was looking for a new car i would have to say I like the new Mustang better not just for the 5.0 but the interior design as well as the ext appearance.I was doing mobile painting at a Ford lot and I have worked 2 differnt Chevy lots, and a dodge. Mustangs both new and used have always sold while the challenger SRT8 sold good the 1st year when they brought the rest of the line up out the following model year they sold but not as fast alot sat around for a few months saw the same thing with camaro ,recorder cars and the 1st send sold fast now you can go up the street and get one in any color u want, see them just sitting day after day for months now. Chevy needed to make a convert already and I think they would have helped sales numbers a bit.
Faster is not always better.

Quick Reply: camaro vs mustang sales for oct.