Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
With exception of the hood bulge, wide wheels, and loud paint (and the occasional hood-mounted tach), what makes a Chevelle SS look ANY different than a regular old boring Chevelle?
Personally, I'm not very interested in 4-door cars in the first place and would always prefer the coupe, and frankly I like the styling of even a base 2-door Chevelle. That's not really the point though, what's more important is this next issue.....

And considering the Commodore is a four door car, I see nothing wrong with comparing it to an old four door Chevelle.
What is wrong with this comparision is the fact that your 4-door Malibu above was not intended to be, nor marketed as a performance car. This Chevy Commodore will be V8 only, taking aim at the performance market only, and possibily carrying the name Chevelle SS. So any comparasion to the previous use of that name should not be based on a non-performance variant.

Now I think it should be named the Impala and the current Impala dropped
Now we have found common ground. There is nothing horrible about the Commodore in general; although it's certainly not my taste, I could see it as a good replacement for the current Impala. And a performance V8 variant, "Impala SS" would be ideal and fitting for this car (it's styling is certainly no worse than the last generation of LS4 Impala SSs).
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about calling the US Commodore an Impala. Isn't the Impala suppose to be the "Lincoln Towncar" of the Chevrolet line? I haven't got the chance to look the G8 over really good in real life but from what I've seen just driving around town it looks more like a mid-sized car.

Personally, calling this car a Chevelle doesn't really sit right with me. Although Dodge calling the new Charger a Charger doesn't really sit right with me either.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropping a FWD impala is the dumbest idea yet. They sell on average well over 100k of those a year, probably more like 200k. Look at RWD car sales (e.g., Charger), maybe 40k a year, tops. The majority of Americans could give two ***** about a RWD V8 car or RWD V6 car. People want bland boring transportation (i.e., Camry, Impala, etc.) that gets good mileage. You come to the snow belts and RWD cars are non existent unless they are optioned with AWD and then fuel mileage goes down even more. Replacing a FWD excellent selling car with a RWD (poor fuel mileage) car is ludicrous.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Dropping a FWD impala is the dumbest idea yet. They sell on average well over 100k of those a year, probably more like 200k. Look at RWD car sales (e.g., Charger), maybe 40k a year, tops. The majority of Americans could give two ***** about a RWD V8 car or RWD V6 car. People want bland boring transportation (i.e., Camry, Impala, etc.) that gets good mileage. You come to the snow belts and RWD cars are non existent unless they are optioned with AWD and then fuel mileage goes down even more. Replacing a FWD excellent selling car with a RWD (poor fuel mileage) car is ludicrous.
Good points.

How about Caprice SS (afterall it is a RWD 4 door)?
Or, not to go the Captain Obvious route but, Commodore SS?
I still like Biscayne SS as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good points.

How about Caprice SS (afterall it is a RWD 4 door)?
Or, not to go the Captain Obvious route but, Commodore SS?
I still like Biscayne SS as well.
Malibu/Chevelle

Chevy II

210 sedan
Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed, and with the current Impala's age a replacement can't come soon enough....
Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would love for them to just sell Holdens in America as Holdens.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
I would love for them to just sell Holdens in America as Holdens.
ESPECIALLY if HSV came with them!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
ESPECIALLY if HSV came with them!
...Id LOVE seeing a Commodore HSV in the garage.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Agreed, and with the current Impala's age a replacement can't come soon enough....
It's getting a very comprehensive refresh/redesign but remaining FWD and will likely remain fleet fodder.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dropping a FWD impala is the dumbest idea yet. They sell on average well over 100k of those a year, probably more like 200k.
But how many of those sales numbers go to fleets/commercial vehicles, cop cars etc etc?
I would like to know how many actual car buyers buy them.
Look at RWD car sales (e.g., Charger), maybe 40k a year, tops.
Some what of an apples to oranges comparison. There are FAR too many variables to look at between the Impala and Charger to dwindle it down to simply "FWD sales" vs "RWD sales". The simple fact that they are two different brands could account for many many sales.

The majority of Americans could give two ***** about a RWD V8 car or RWD V6 car. People want bland boring transportation (i.e., Camry, Impala, etc.) that gets good mileage.
Mostly agreed. But whats wrong with the malibu then to take its place? They don't need two (or more) boring cars...
This will also improve GM's image (which is something they really need to work on) by getting another higher quality car in their line up that is also fun to drive.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Restricted User

I can definitely see them doing both. Simply because the FWD w-body sells so damn well, I think it would work in this case. MY own opinion would be to bestow the legendary Impala name on the RWD performance oriented car, and resurrect a more tame nameplate, ala "Lumina" for the replacement for the FWD sales leader. I have a bad feeling though that the Impala name will remain where it is and the RWD car will be getting a much less cool name.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Lumina would be no bueno in this country, I think.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
...Id LOVE seeing a Commodore HSV in the garage.
almost happened =/
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

After seeing Fords Falcon with the new 5.0 down in Australia, I think this car looks alot better all depends on what powerplant we get.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kyuss

That was from last winter, going on winter number 2 and in fact just got the first real snow accumulation last night. I had a 2000 Grand Prix GT (yeah yeah, no supercharger) and this car is leagues ahead of the GP in the snow. Granted I'm running a dedicated set of rims with Blizzaks on the G8, but still, it's a 400hp (approx, I'm lightly modded) RWD car.
I sometimes drive my WS6 in the snow with its nitto 555's. I know it can be done I was pointing out that many owners on here park these cars for trucks or beaters or daily drivers. I prefer to drive my Volvo in that kind of weather.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
As if thats some kind of accomplishment
While not a terrific achievement it is nice to know that a FWD family car can give a similar year "muscle car" a good run.

The SSR was purpose built to be a niche, low production car. The GTO and G8 were imported here and basically trial cars to see if they would sell, while the main production was in Australia, and when their model years ends (the GTO for example) it also ends here.
The U.S. allotment of GTO's was capped. Not sure about the G8. While the production may have ended that had no effect on sales here so I don't understand why that matters when I pointed out that GTO's were on lots for 6-12 months after the production run. They didn't sell that well.

Terrible example, just because someone doesn't park their sports car or muscle car (both more than likely have sport driving tires on them as well) outside in the snow doesn't mean they won't park/use a RWD sports sedan in the same weather. I don't think GM needs more sports cars, just more RWD cars (that means coupes or sedans).
Keep the small cars like the Cobalt FWD, and maybe the Malibu, but then give us nice RWD/AWD sports sedans like BMW and Audi. Not some front heavy, cheap, ugly and underwhelming FWD sedan like the Grand Prix or Impala
So you want more Caddys? They are the brand to go after Audi and BMW. (Well Buick might be able to go after some Audi buyers.) I see what your saying but there is a market for full size cars in both FWD and RWD. Chrysler is going after the RWD market. While sales of the J-body cars are solid I doubt G.M. is salivating to be in that market. Especially if you take the rental fleet sales out of the equation since G.M. stated that they were trying to reduce fleet sales.

Exactly, they finally have one midsize/larger sedan with a Chevy badge that doesn't drive like a boat. They needed this years ago.
Agreed.

Yes but it stopped coming here because its model year production ended, not because it was a slow seller here.
They were slow sellers here. Thats why they had them on lots for 6-12 months after production ended.

Anything other than a completely new name wouldn't have worked. Its a totally different new car like nothing else Pontiac has made. It needs a new name so there is no preconceived notion about the car. With the name "GTO" people expected a wild, crude muscular ride but got a 2 door sports luxury sedan.
Which is why I believe the GTO by name was a blunder. LeMans or Tempest would have worked well. Or a new non alpha numeric name.

And mainstream buyers already have certain biases for/against car names before the car is out. Names like Sunfire/Sunbird have been tarnished to the point of (hopefully) no return because of how shitty of a car they were, so even if the name was put on an outstanding car it would still get negative attention.
If there is a totally new car it needs a totally new name unless they want some preconceived notion.
That is a difficult blanket statement to make. The Malibu (since its birth as a FWD car) has shown that sales can increase without the need for a new name. The FWD generations prior to the current one were horrible transportation appliances. The new one is in many respects leaps and bounds better and sold very well at least at first. I don't know if sales stayed up but I know it showed that G.M. could build a better car than it had been and still keep it competitive. Do you think that Toyota will change the names of its models in the wake of all the recalls? Sienna, Tundra, Camry? I don't. Yet the stigma of problems is still there. People will flock to what consumer reports tells them to buy. Many view a car as a transportation appliance not a statement of ones self or a fun getaway device. And thats sad. We, as a nation used to go to cruises in our cars, now we get ticketed for it. Maybe it comes with maturity. I used to drive my cars as hard as possible (course they were 4 cylinder imports, I may have just been leaving a stop sign and had to floor it to move it ) With kids and a wife I no longer enjoy time just cruising. Unless I'm by my self and I would rather share the experience of the thrust of a V-8 and the sounds it makes. Wow, I got off track. Sorry.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darksol
People will flock to what consumer reports tells them to buy. Many view a car as a transportation appliance not a statement of ones self or a fun getaway device. And thats sad. We, as a nation used to go to cruises in our cars, now we get ticketed for it.
So true its sad, my wife HATES driving and she hates me modding/working on my car as she does not understand my love of the machine and what it represents to me. I know many other people that see cars as nothing more than a means to get from point A to point B.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

GMI has some rumor-mongering today to add fuel to the fire.

The Zeta drama continues at GM

March 28, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

Zeta rumors have been the hot topic of General Motors’ enthusiasts and mainstream media since the first inklings of the return of the Camaro. Initially the platform was going to see production in North America, hosting an entire lineup of rear-wheel drive greatness. Then gas prices spiked the first time and GM’s cash position dwindled, thus killing the glorious plans. Fast-forward to today and drama still surrounds Zeta, but future plans are starting to become clearer.

Since the demise of the Holden derived Pontiac G8 sedan, there has been much internal debate about bringing the Holden Commodore back to the North American market. GM’s high executive turn rate since emerging from its 2009 bankruptcy has not helped that matter, with each of the three post-bankruptcy CEO’s having a different position on the importation of Holden products.

Back in September GMI first reported that Chevrolet was aspiring to have a Commodore-based sedan on the North American market. Internally the sedan has been referred to as “SS Sedan.” Initial reports had the car launching for the 2012 model-year, but that has since been pushed back to 2014 model year, likely to capitalize on the redesigned Commodore that will launch around the same time.

According to documents obtained by GMI, the ‘SS Sedan’ is now operating as an approved program. The program is running under the code Z2SC and is expected to launch in North America in early 2013 as a 2014 model year vehicle. GMI was able to independently confirm the time frame with Holden sources as well.

Perhaps the more interesting news is that GM is also considering the Holden Ute and Holden Commodore SportWagon for the North American market. Unlike the ‘SS Sedan,’ the Ute and SportWagon based models are not currently approved for production. If approved, the documents suggest the Ute would launch at the same time as the sedan, with the SportWagon launching later in the 2013 calendar year. The documents list the Ute based vehicle as ‘El Camino.’ The El Camino’s program code is Z2RC, while the SportWagon code is Z2WC.

GMI expects that the approval of the El Camino and SportWagon will hinge on fuel prices in North America and potential profitability of the two models, as both would likely be very low volume products.

In other Zeta news, GMI has also been able to confirm that the Caprice patrol vehicle is expected to have a second generation on the North American market starting in 2014 model year as well.

It’s important to note that the Zeta program at GM has been a near constant source of drama internally. As our reporting has reflected, there has been a tremendous amount of back and forth about Zeta. GMI is, however, starting to see some consistency with regards to the future of the ‘SS Sedan.’

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...merica-101692/
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just came

Quick Reply: Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet