Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010 | 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Chevelle!!!!

new update

http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.c...lle/index.html

Last edited by 02ws666; 12-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2010 | 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I agree with the Impala and Malibu being nearly the same car these days.

+1 for making this the new Impala and keep the Malibu what it is.
The Malibu was originally a trim level of a Chevelle. It makes no sense to call this Chevelle if the Malibu is a smaller front wheel drive car.
Old 12-14-2010 | 12:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

That front end design really needs to be redone; the more I see it, the more I dislike it. It's the wrong look for a car called "Chevelle", IMO.
Old 12-14-2010 | 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That front end design really needs to be redone; the more I see it, the more I dislike it. It's the wrong look for a car called "Chevelle", IMO.
totaly agree. it needs to be more aggressive!!
Old 12-14-2010 | 03:10 PM
***Repost Police***

1) The Chevelle was never an aggressively-styled car. It was very simple.
2) This seems retardedly-easy to figure out, and I'll be very disappointed if GM does make this simple connection;

Originally Posted by The people in the update
My take: the current Malibu and the Impala are almost the same car. Make this the new Impala with three engine choices – 3.6L V-6, 5.3 or 6.0L V-8 and 6.2L V-8 – with the latter being the high performance (SS) model. Seems simple enough, and will definitely make the 94-96 Impala crowd happy that they have a RWD V-8 again. Plus with the G8-based Caprice already on the way for Police duty, there would definitely be a nice sense of symmetry (with the 90s models).
Old 12-14-2010 | 03:16 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 02ws666
totaly agree. it needs to be more aggressive!!
This is the thinking that caused the GTO to fail... people seem to really view the past through rose-colored glasses. The GTO was never an aggressively-styled car either. Even The Judge was a simple Tempest with a couple scoops and loud paint. And the only reason that the Chevelle SS looks so "tough and aggressive" now is because we know that it was. Is this REALLY an aggressively styled car?

And this is a Chevelle sedan. Is the Commodore really not worthy of taking over the name from THIS?

If anything, the concept Chevy "Commodore" is too aggressive. The Chevelle SS (and yes I love them, so don't take this the wrong way) was a boring car with a big motor and some nice paint.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 12-14-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2010 | 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man this thread is full or argument. i just want the ******* car to be made. i dont give a **** what its called. ill buy it if they name it a ******* shitsack mobile. lol
Old 12-14-2010 | 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

man this thread is full or argument. i just want the ******* car to be made. i dont give a **** what its called. ill buy it if they name it a ******* shitsack mobile. lol
First mod on your to-do list: !badging!
Old 12-14-2010 | 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
people seem to really view the past through rose-colored glasses.
Some people view the present that way as well.

And the only reason that the Chevelle SS looks so "tough and aggressive" now is because we know that it was. Is this REALLY an aggressively styled car?

And this is a Chevelle sedan. Is the Commodore really not worthy of taking over the name from THIS?
Your picture is a poor representation of the spirit of Chevelle SS, a spirit that I can only assume GM is hoping to recreate and sell by resurrecting the Chevelle SS name. The Chevy Commodore is going to be marketed as a performance car with a performance engine only (against the likes of cars such as Charger R/T). Your picture of a '70 4-door hardtop Malibu with a 307 V8 was not considered nor marketed as a performance contender by any means, then or now.

The "performance" variant of your pictured '70 4-door Malibu would have been cars like these:

And yes, IMO these are aggressive looking cars. These cars are considered to be classic GM muscle styling by the majority, regardless of your opinion.

The Chevelle SS (and yes I love them, so don't take this the wrong way) was a boring car with a big motor and some nice paint.
As usual, our opinions vary so greatly that I'm totally unable to see your side of this. I find nothing boring about the two Chevelle SSs I have pictured above, as a matter of fact I feel that very little designed before or since has been comparably attractive.
Old 12-14-2010 | 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

I'd place money that whether it's called Chevelle or ******* Shitsack Mobile won't make a damn bit of difference on how it performs
Old 12-14-2010 | 04:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Some people view the present that way as well.

Your picture is a poor representation of the spirit of Chevelle SS, a spirit that I can only assume GM is hoping to recreate and sell by resurrecting the Chevelle SS name. The Chevy Commodore is going to be marketed as a performance car with a performance engine only (against the likes of cars such as Charger R/T). Your picture of a '70 4-door hardtop Malibu with a 307 V8 was not considered nor marketed as a performance contender by any means, then or now.

The "performance" variant of your pictured '70 4-door Malibu would have been cars like these:

And yes, IMO these are aggressive looking cars. These cars are considered to be classic GM muscle styling by the majority, regardless of your opinion.

As usual, our opinions vary so greatly that I'm totally unable to see your side of this. I find nothing boring about the two Chevelle SSs I have pictured above, as a matter of fact I feel that very little designed before or since has been comparably attractive.
With exception of the hood bulge, wide wheels, and loud paint (and the occasional hood-mounted tach), what makes a Chevelle SS look ANY different than a regular old boring Chevelle? And considering the Commodore is a four door car, I see nothing wrong with comparing it to an old four door Chevelle. Now I think it should be named the Impala and the current Impala dropped, but I don't see the Chevelle name as being "inappropriate."
Old 12-14-2010 | 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stfu and quit arguing!! if you dont like the old chevelles go buy a ******* mustang then!

Dear GM,

Make this car so that I may buy one because you decided to hire ******* inbreed ***** that didn't know **** about designing cars nor marketing and doomed the performance brand of your company, thus ******* my out of buying a G8 new from you. This will maybe come close to being respectable again in my eyes. Thank you.
Old 12-14-2010 | 05:15 PM
***Repost Police***

stfu and quit arguing!! if you dont like the old chevelles go buy a ******* mustang then!
The Chevelle SS (and yes I love them, so don't take this the wrong way) was a boring car with a big motor and some nice paint.
Like I said...
Old 12-14-2010 | 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I pray that they are not planning on saddling this car with the Chevelle name.

People don't associate the name with boring sedans, no matter what wore the name in the 1960s. That's not what it stands for today and this car wasn't intended to live up to that.

Making it an Impala SS to the current FWD (and extremely lame) Impala would be a much better idea IMO.
Old 12-14-2010 | 09:08 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

As much as it won't be an impala, I agree it should be. A name holds a lot of sentiment with people. I like at the car pictured, thinking the name Impala and I think "that's freakin good looking car."
I do the same thinking Chevelle and I go "meh...needs more awesome." And that's coming from a guy who doesn't really care for old chevys as much as pontiacs and mopars.
Old 12-14-2010 | 09:10 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

^ to add I don't give a **** about them "disgracing" the chevelle name...it just doesn't fit is all.
Old 12-14-2010 | 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the only thing they're doing with this car is going after the v8 Charger R/T & SRT-8, then this car is going to fail sales-wise. Cars like that don't survive on the sales of their top-of-the-line trim level. The v6 models are everywhere. I can't leave my house without seeing 50 v6 Chargers. This car needs a base v6 option if it's going to be competitive in the marketplace.

I'm sure it'll be more than competent on the track, whether it's straight, oval, or a street/road course. But you can't expect to be able to produce a car with only a top-of-the-line engine/trim and expect it to sell in enough numbers to be profitable outside of a niche market. This car is not going to be a niche car. So I reiterate, it NEEDS a v6 base model.

Also, for Irunelevens and RPM WS6, the angle of the shot plays a large role in the perceived aggression in styling. The first pictures in both your posts were of essentially the same car. The only real differences were the color of the paint and the angle of the shot. The lower angle shot in RPM WS6's post looks significantly more aggressive than in Irunelevens's post. Even if you put them both in black & white, the lower angle shot is more aggressive. It accentuates the body lines and makes things look bulgier and more muscular. The same thing goes for the second pic in RPM WS6's post. Also, not having a woman driving helps.

Last edited by XxGarbSxX; 12-14-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2010 | 09:41 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

^I don't see why it wouldn't considering this is just a G8 which also had a V6 base option.
Old 12-14-2010 | 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by justin455
^I don't see why it wouldn't considering this is just a G8 which also had a V6 base option.
I remember reading somewhere (I forget exactly where) that it would only come with a v8 option. If that is not the case, then ignore my previous post regarding engine options.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by TriShield
Cost is a problem. With the Australian dollar now on par with the greenback, shipping cars from Australia is now an expensive proposition. In addition, some minor re-certification work will also likely need to be performed to get the car back to U.S. spec. Because of this, and CAFE requirements, the Chevy sedan will only be available as a V-8, and in relatively limited numbers. Holden has also developed a U.S. market version of its mechanically identical Caprice long wheelbase sedan for police applications, but GM continues to insist that it will be for law enforcement duty only.
No, I was right. V8 only. This car is doomed. It's sad because it's such a great car. Unless they have a v6 model within a year of its initial release, I fear for this car's profitability, and thus, its life.

Last edited by XxGarbSxX; 12-14-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2010 | 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

They're not likely going to bother selling a V6 this time. V6 G8s cost nearly as much as the V8s and sales were weak, the bulk of the sales were V8 GTs.

If I were in GM I would throw out the idea to simply sell it as the top Impala, the SS, as a separate Impala model while continuing to offer the current FWD Impala we know as lesser models under it.

It's also worth noting most of the Charger's retail sales are HEMIs as well. Fleet and government buyers are the ones getting the V6s.

Quick Reply: Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet