Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
One of the big problems with the Nova nameplate is that there is a large portion of the population that speaks Spanish. In many Latin-based languages, "no va" translates to "doesn't go". Would you buy a car that had the name "Stationary" or "Still"? Therein lies the problem.

Like I said earlier, it's a new car, give it a new name. Don't try to sell it as something that it isn't.
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the big problems with the Nova nameplate is that there is a large portion of the population that speaks Spanish. In many Latin-based languages, "no va" translates to "doesn't go". Would you buy a car that had the name "Stationary" or "Still"? Therein lies the problem.

Like I said earlier, it's a new car, give it a new name. Don't try to sell it as something that it isn't.
Not trying to start this kind of debate BUT:

I've had about enough of not getting things or "making adjustments" to accomodate those that can't understand English. I have a lot of friends that are primarily Spanish speaking US citizens, but they have ALL learned at least enough English to be able function day to day. Likewise, I know enough Spanish to get by and would not expect to be "catored to" in a Spanish speaking country.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Honestly, this isn't really true. It's just a myth that this was ever an issue.

It's no different than the word "carpet". Nobody ever thinks that term means a Car Pet.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I just hope they make it
Old 11-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

you said seel it under a new name. but lets look at this in history.

ford had the 500, and not many were sold. when name was switched to Taurus it sold like crazy,

GM got rid of grand prix and G8 sold slow, it sold be not crazy like grand prix,

GM got rid of grand am and got g6, which also sold slow to begin with. now it sells crazy becuase it has been out for like 5 years.

tolday companies cant wait 5 years for it to sell crazy, they need to sell right now.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:08 PM
***Repost Police***

x2
Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^Missed the link at the top of the page, huh?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 PM
***Repost Police***

I was more agreeing with the, "it's a new car, give it a new name. Don't try to sell it as something that it isn't."
Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
ford had the 500, and not many were sold. when name was switched to Taurus it sold like crazy
Five Hundred was an older nameplate than Taurus.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I was more agreeing with the, "it's a new car, give it a new name. Don't try to sell it as something that it isn't."
Sometimes old names do great (Charger), sometimes not (GTO). The longer an OEM waits to bring back an "old" name, the greater the risk of public rejection.

If they get the styling and performance *just right* on this new V8 RWD sedan, I think the Chevelle badge would be an asset, even as a 4-door. But if they go with a name like that, it needs an aggressive American look, like the Charger, not the euro-esque look of the GTO.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 AM
***Repost Police***

Because American buyers are kinda dumb
Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

If they bring the Commodore to the U.S. as the Chevelle I hope the bring the Holden Ute as the El Camino.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Because American buyers are kinda dumb
You're right, all these Americans still buying Toyotas ARE pretty dumb.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

Is it possible that the dumb American Buyers don't buy cars based solely on the name?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Is it possible that the dumb American Buyers don't buy cars based solely on the name?
no they buy them off of two things. emm pee gee. and what the completely unbiased auto mags tell them the good cars are
Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wimimc
no they buy them off of two things. emm pee gee. and what the completely unbiased auto mags tell them the good cars are
Soo it could be called the Chevy Lemon, get 45mpg, and get "best" awards from Car & Driver and Motor Trend and still be a top seller.

Just sayin' naming this car has no more to do with it's sales or success than naming your pet
Old 11-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes.

Soo it could be called the Chevy Lemon, get 45mpg, and get "best" awards from Car & Driver and Motor Trend and still be a top seller.

Just sayin' naming this car has no more to do with it's sales or success than naming your pet
Actually product name for anything, not just cars, has a massive influence on sales. You could put corn flakes in your own box with a design modeled after a brown paper bag and call them Turd Flakes, then put the same picture of the cereal on the front and even put them on the shelf right next to regular corn flakes and see which sells more.

Now when you take those results and add to the fact that people have emotional attachments with automobiles, especially sporty ones, you can see how important the right name is. Using the wrong name can be very polarizing to many buyers.

Now, IF they do call this car Chevelle then they really need to hit it out of the park with styling. That picture on page one will definitely not cut it...it'll be 04-06 all over again. Maybe GM could even contract some Mopar designers.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by justin455
Now, IF they do call this car Chevelle then they really need to hit it out of the park with styling. That picture on page one will definitely not cut it...it'll be 04-06 all over again. Maybe GM could even contract some Mopar designers.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by justin455
yes.

Actually product name for anything, not just cars, has a massive influence on sales. You could put corn flakes in your own box with a design modeled after a brown paper bag and call them Turd Flakes, then put the same picture of the cereal on the front and even put them on the shelf right next to regular corn flakes and see which sells more.

Now when you take those results and add to the fact that people have emotional attachments with automobiles, especially sporty ones, you can see how important the right name is. Using the wrong name can be very polarizing to many buyers.

Agreed, I hope GM learned something with what happened to the GTO. No way you bring a car back with that name unless its design is right on par with an old school GTO. You should be able to pull the name plate off and there should still be no question what it is.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Default Sick of GM Gimmick cars...

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of GM coming out with these gimmick cars like the GTO, G8, Solstice, and even the entire Saturn division. I'd rather they spend their time and money focusing on and improving the core product. A nice sport version of the Malibu, Equinox, and Cruze would do more for the bottom line. Save the money and look at coming out with a sedan based on the current Camaro platform or the upcoming Epsilon II platform.

I like performance cars just like everyone else on this platform but an imported RWD sedan from Australia has already been done (twice) and failed. I think if GM had just come out with a better Grand Prix rather than the G8, Pontiac may have survived.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I like performance cars just like everyone else on this platform but an imported RWD sedan from Australia has already been done (twice) and failed. I think if GM had just come out with a better Grand Prix rather than the G8, Pontiac may have survived.
Pontiac was already a dying brand by the time G8 hit the scene. The G8 was a great car given to an otherwise not great brand.

Quick Reply: Holden Confirms Commodore Will Return To the US Under Chevrolet