Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

C/D First Drive - 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AGH

Don't buy it then.

Some people want all that stuff on their new car and are willing to pay for it. Each to his own.
I wasn't being a smartass, they were discussing the price difference in the groups of cars. I would say a 40k+ camaro or mustang is expensive to me bc I don't want all that extra ****. So whether the car is expensive or cheap is in the eye of the beholder. Its about one's perspective and what they deem important. I'm just simply saying that not all would agree with the fact that bc it has x options makes the price justified. And I won't buy, thank you.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
I agree it's fast enough to get you into trouble, but it's only a little faster than a 2011 Mustang GT that goes for $15k less or Camaro that goes for $10k less. Chrysler really needs to get their *** in gear and make this pig lighter for what they're asking.
+1
Originally Posted by TriShield
Also keep in mind SRT8s are loaded with everything inside and out from leather, to Brembos, to the nicest wheel/tire combo, to the lowest gear set, nav and HIDs.

When you add the same equipment - HIDs, Brembos, navigation and leather on a Mustang GT with a manual it becomes a $39,245 car.

That does not include low gears like an SRT has, that's another $355 for 3.55s or 3.73s. Add 19" wheels/performance tires similar to the SRT, that's another grand. Ford even charges $500 for over the car stripes.

With the same equipment as the SRT8 you now have a Mustang GT that costs nearly the same amount of money. You can step up to a GT500 for $48,645 that costs more than the SRT8.

When you really compare the cars and what you get for your money the SRT8 is priced in the same range as Ford.

For the guy who is shopping based on the most options, perhaps. But the guy shopping for performance first, then its not even close. The mustang wins this hands down. If Dodge wants to get serious and move some of these than in the short term they should offer a stripped down version to get the price down. In the long term they need to dump some serious weight. For what there asking for this car and it not have an all aluminum block is just ridiculous.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lethal Z
For the guy who is shopping based on the most options, perhaps. But the guy shopping for performance first, then its not even close. The mustang wins this hands down. If Dodge wants to get serious and move some of these than in the short term they should offer a stripped down version to get the price down. In the long term they need to dump some serious weight. For what there asking for this car and it not have an all aluminum block is just ridiculous.
Yup! Right now there are 17 brand new 2011 5.0 Mustang GTs on autotrader for $25-27k, while the cheapest 2010 6.1L Challengers are $40k. I doubt you will be able to find a 392 for under $45k it's first year out, so almost a $20k price difference for the "stripper" Mustang that still comes with power windows and locks, keyless, cd player, and traction control. I know if I was in the market I would have no problem giving up all the extras and saving $15k over the ones that are fully loaded, a choice I can't make with an SRT8.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^Exactly, I mean you really aren't "roughing it" with a cd player, keyless entry, and power windows
Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I know if I was in the market I would have no problem giving up all the extras and saving $15k over the ones that are fully loaded, a choice I can't make with an SRT8.
You can't do that with a GT500 either.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Yes you can, base GT500 doesn't come with a touch screen Navi/Dvd player or the track pack.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
There are some people who don't want all that ****.
Yes, headlights, leather shift , and a stick shift. Who the hell needs those.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't even think you know what you are talking about.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I don't even think you know what you are talking about.
x2 ...They still come with headlights and the stick is cheaper than the auto...
Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes you can, base GT500 doesn't come with a touch screen Navi/Dvd player or the track pack.
Same with the SRT8, both have standard HIDs, Brembos, etc and one or two extras.

To have an equivalent Mustang GT the MSRP comes up within spitting distance.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well I just went and did the "build my own" on both sites and came up with over a $5000 difference when both had the exact same options. The Mustang came in at like $39.5k while the Challenger was $45k. That's not exactly spitting distance.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I just went and did the "build my own" on both sites and came up with over a $5000 difference when both had the exact same options. The Mustang came in at like $39.5k while the Challenger was $45k. That's not exactly spitting distance.
See post #29.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

See post #29.
I did, with all that stuff added it came out to around $39.5k (with 3.73, brembos, hid, navi, etc) while the Challenger with the 6spd and Navi came out to $45k. Not like how you said $39.5k + $1000 for rims $395 for gears like you were saying.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I did, with all that stuff added it came out to around $39.5k (with 3.73, brembos, hid, navi, etc) while the Challenger with the 6spd and Navi came out to $45k. Not like how you said $39.5k + $1000 for rims $395 for gears like you were saying.
Here I'll help you.

That does not include low gears like an SRT has, that's another $355 for 3.55s or 3.73s. Add 19" wheels/performance tires similar to the SRT, that's another grand. Ford even charges $500 for over the car stripes.

With the same equipment as the SRT8 you now have a Mustang GT that costs nearly the same amount of money. You can step up to a GT500 for $48,645 that costs more than the SRT8.

When you really compare the cars and what you get for your money the SRT8 is priced in the same range as Ford
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Here I'll help you.

When you really compare the cars and what you get for your money the SRT8 is priced in the same range as Ford
Again like I said, for $39.5k it was WITH the gears and the nicer wheels that come with the brembo package included in the $39.5k, not on top of it like you were saying. And it was $45k for the SRT8 with the 6spd and the Navi. Still a $5k difference which is a pretty decent gap.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Again like I said, for $39.5k it was WITH the gears and the nicer wheels that come with the brembo package included in the $39.5k, not on top of it like you were saying. And it was $45k for the SRT8 with the 6spd and the Navi. Still a $5k difference which is a pretty decent gap.
I built the car with the same equipment as the SRT8 offers for it's price and listed it in that post (and even listed the price of the additional boxes you'd have to tick to equal what an SRT8 comes standard with).

You can play with fordvehicles.com all you want but to get an equivalent Mustang GT with all the performance and interior kit you will be paying much closer to SRT8 money that "15k less", etc. My point that the Mustang GT with the same equipment and features is nearly as expensive as the SRT8 in the review stands. My point that dealers mostly stock Mustangs that nearly kiss $40k MSRP also stands, just as dealers mostly stock Camaros that are close to that as well

It might be a bigger difference to you but to me I would pay a little more for an SRT8 over what is still a common Mustang GT. Hell, for that much money I would take a BOSS over a common Mustang GT (and perhaps an SRT8) as well.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 AM
***Repost Police***

I'd rather pay for a GT500 over an SRT-8 than an SRT-8 over a GT.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

From what I've seen though, the GT500 spanks the SRT8 in basically every aspect, even without the performance package. Indeed, it's not even very close. Those two come with similar builds, except the Shelby is clearly a cut WAY above what Dodge is offering. Handling is a joke in contrast, acceleration goes to the Mustang as well and either will retain value, but only one is built with higher quality and we all know that's the Ford since Dodge quality simply isn't good in general, and hasn't been for the past 30 plus years.

Personally, I think the Challenger is every bit as easy to look at as either Mustang or Camaro, but that can't justify the outrageous pricing.

The 2011 SRT8, like the 2010 does not offer NAV as standard equipment according to dodge.com. Plus, the Dodge version of NAV isn't (apparently) voice activated either, whereas Fords is in the Mustang. Dodge does offer "Uconnect" voice command for some vehicles, but the website says it's N/A on Challenger.

If you want to reach SRT8 "nicely optioned" (to include NAV and more), you're looking at a $47,000 price tag for a 2010 model, and more than 48K for a 2011... By comparison, you can spend between the two for a Mustang GT premium, with basically every option included(in one or another form, picking versions of whatever) AND it will be a convertible to boot! For about 49K one could have a GT500 though... If performance is your thing and the 3 "pony cars" are your choices, I don't see a serious contest going on just yet, except between the SS and GT.

Most of the above was found by going to the respective websites and building the one you like. Pull up a 2011 SRT8 and include NAV and it's required additions, along with an auto transmission(in some vain attempt to save fuel, but NOT enough to discard the gas guzzler tax) and you're OVER $48,000.00. That will get you an automatic transmission... although only a 5spd.

ODD NOTE: Gas guzzler tax on SRT8... $1,000.00. Gas guzzler tax on SRT8 WITH fuel saving technology... $1,300.00... Someone try explaining that one...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by It'llrun
From what I've seen though, the GT500 spanks the SRT8 in basically every aspect, even without the performance package. Indeed, it's not even very close. Those two come with similar builds, except the Shelby is clearly a cut WAY above what Dodge is offering. Handling is a joke in contrast, acceleration goes to the Mustang as well and either will retain value, but only one is built with higher quality and we all know that's the Ford since Dodge quality simply isn't good in general, and hasn't been for the past 30 plus years.
Performance wise I would agree with you. However, you would also have to factor in the increased size of the car as adding to its value. A 25 year old single male may not like it, but it does offer more room and more trunk space and thus more practicality. It's almost a car in it's own class. I view it as more of a gentleman's muscle car. Something you could justify to the wife. It doesn't have the boy racer stigma that the camaro or mustang has. It also doesn't scream hair plugs and mid life crisis like the vette does.
As far as quality, it seems to be pretty decent. That tranny is a fully rollerized stout piece from Mercedes. It is far stronger than anything in an F body.
Having said that, I do feel like the car is 2-3 thousand higher than it should be. It needs to be 5 grand less than the GT500. If not, they should at least have that superb 8 speed auto with the aluminum block in front of it.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Teching In

I would rather have the hemi then that 5.0 mustang. Sorry but the challenger is alot nicer to drive then the mustang and it looks alot better. And 5k dollar price difference is not that bad for alot nicer car. And for the new camaro the performance is a joke!!! im waiting for the new Z28 to come out=) And fords quality sucks i dont know what your thinking.

Quick Reply: C/D First Drive - 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 HEMI