Motor Trend - V6, RWD Daily Driver/Nav-Equipped Coupe Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor Trend - V6, RWD Daily Driver/Nav-Equipped Coupe Comparo

Six Appeal: Finding the People's Pony Car

By Carlos Lago / Photography by Daniel Byrne

Stylized, affordable, and with a dollop of sport, the ponycar formula has changed little in its 46-year history. The quartet of modern versions we assembled here are draped in rakish, come-hither sheetmetal; equipped with smaller, fuel-efficient V-6 engines; affordable to the masses; and yet still offer satisfying power.

If you're experiencing deja vu, there's good reason. We last assembled this crew in July, when the Mustang put a 3.7-liter smackdown on its domestic brethren, but lost to the Korean newcomer. (The resulting outrage ignited Internet forums for months.) Then, we were looking for the sportiest, most fun among them -- the best hustle car.

But that wonderfully balanced Hyundai? Those manual transmissions? Fanboy fantasy. When it comes to the real world, people buy high-content, automatic/V-6 pairings. In this gang, that combo accounts for almost 50 percent of each marque's volume (the Genesis is the exception, mostly selling with the far less-expensive turbo 2.0-liter mill).

We attempted to gather players most representative of this ponycar class. Two caveats: A Camaro couldn't be delivered in time, so we rented one from Hertz. The only Genesis trim available was the Track variant ringer that won the previous comparison.

Our quest was to find the holy grail of the people's ponycar, the one that best combines sport, functionality, and value in a daily driver. We learned there are three very good cars here that are as close to a tie as you can get.

FOURTH: CHEVROLET CAMARO

While its last-place finish may reek of a vast anti-GM conspiracy to our ever-vigilant, tinfoil hat-wearing letter writers, this Camaro -- the one with 11,000 miles of hard rental car duties on its odometer -- fared rather well.

No scars of abuse spoiled the Camaro's chassis, which delivered a surprisingly supple ride. Through city streets and rough patches of pavement, the Camaro's suspension soaked up bumps and road imperfections with aplomb. It was the second-best-riding car of this group.

When the road opened up, the powertrain impressed us as well. The Camaro matched its archnemesis Mustang in acceleration, not to mention braking and handling metrics. Consider the extra 287 pounds the Camaro carries around, and its reclassified 312 ponies may be more than just marketing one-upmanship. Yet its size and heft come at no discernible benefit to us. The Camaro shades more asphalt than the Mustang does, but its interior feels comparatively cramped. Its small trunk opening only makes the tiny cargo volume even that much more apparent.

Thus, the Camaro's failing is its function-be-damned styling. The concept-car sheetmetal exudes cool, but leaves the driver with a small slit of sunlight between two massive A-pillars. Maneuvering through narrow, curb-lined parking lots left us wincing in anticipation of the inevitable damaged wheel.

Interior functionality was likewise "sacrificed to the altar of style," noted assistant Web producer Scott Evans. A cumbersome steering wheel offers nonsensical button placement and functions (the dial that adjusts audio tracks also changes the audio source), and the pale blue illumination could double for a "Space Invaders" high score screen. The biggest omission is the optional navigation system, a feature that every other car in this group has. Our rental had a Hertz unit called Neverlost sprouting from the dash, reminding us that a buyer's only recourse rests with the aftermarket.

The Camaro compromises the most important components of a daily driver for the sake of looking cool. Commuters spend much of their drive playing with infotainment systems and winding through grocery store parking lots. If the Camaro can't do either of these tasks well, there's no reason it should take anything above last place.

THIRD: DODGE CHALLENGER

There would've been little shock if the last Challenger's speedometer measured knots. The most nautical of the group in terms of handling, that car fell behind the pack in every measurable metric, save for curbside appeal. The 2011 model carries a new 3.6-liter V-6 with class-competitive power and a new front suspension. The result is the most improved car here -- less barge, more sport ship.

The suspension changes pay the biggest dividends. Despite its chrome-clad 20-inch wheels, the Challenger rides the smoothest of the group, isolating the cabin from the realities of the harshest roads. A new electric power steering unit and a smaller, leather-wrapped wheel provide a strong sense of control. It's a perfect mix for long hauls across state lines.

Furthering the improvements is the $1335 Super Sport pack, which installs a 3.06 axle ratio and upgraded rubber, brakes, and suspension. Our Challenger cut 0.4 second from its figure-eight time and scored second-best in braking -- last time it was 25 feet longer than the third-worst finisher.

With a sophisticated howl, the V-6's power won't disappoint during onramp drag races. It might, however, confuse onlookers. The Challenger demands a growl -- a cacophony akin to grunts around a bonfire. The new note is pleasant, but at odds with the anticipatory musclecar soundtrack.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

The engine's freshness emphasizes the age of the five-speed automatic, which still is one gear too short. And, at more than 3934 pounds, weight remains in excess of acceptable. The Challenger is slower than every car here, but gets kudos for being 1.1 seconds faster to 60 mph than the outgoing car -- an impressive performance, considering the added heft in those 20-inch wheels.

The Challenger remains a huge car, eclipsing the rest of the field with inches to spare in every direction. But with the most interior space and biggest trunk, it's the easiest to load with cargo or friends, and the latter will be comfortable for the long haul in the back seat. The size also allows for a glorious exterior and presence, relentless in its evocation of the original. Every time you check the sideview mirrors, you glimpse the bulging rear fenders, intimidating traffic. Conversely, mall parking lots can make you feel like you're parking a yacht in a dingy-size space.

For all the character the exterior delivers, the interior falls short. Sure, there's navigation software from Garmin, but the infotainment's presentation is low-tech compared to offerings from Hyundai and Ford. Big changes have happened inside the new Journey and Charger, and they can't come to the Challenger soon enough.

If this were a Pixar film, the Challenger's endearing character would play your heartstrings when it valiantly fought the competition. As a driver in reality, its size, transmission, and just adequate interior amenities narrowly hold it back from second place.

SECOND: HYUNDAI GENESIS

Well, this is awkward. The car here that most proudly exhibits the musclecar ethos is a Hyundai. Check the stats: The Genesis is the smallest and lightest, and it packs the biggest stick. With the best pound/horsepower ratio, basic physics puts the Genesis ahead of the pack in testing. But it's the engine's sonorous howl and the chassis' nimbleness and control that push this coupe to a higher level of driving enthusiasm. Are you a purist? Stop reading now and go to a Hyundai dealer.

An automatic transmission doesn't mar the experience one bit. The ZF-sourced box is heads above the domestic trannies, telepathic in its ability to find the ideal gear for any situation. The Genesis won't hesitate to drop three gears for a delightful onramp blast or a two-lane highway pass for fear of fuel economy. Despite this aggressiveness, the Genesis managed to score the top spot during our observed fuel-economy testing.

The package even conjures fun in low-speed traffic with eager throttle and deft steering response. The car's comparatively diminutive size offers the best visibility in the group, and it's the most nimble. Obviously, the Track designation gives the Hyundai a sporting advantage over the rest of the group, but remember, we've already ranked it above the Mustang's V-6 Performance Pack. This Genesis understandably rides the firmest of the group, but the experience isn't jarring or rough. Instead, the chassis transmits the subtleties of the road.

The Genesis has a strong range. With a heavy emphasis on sport, it easily will appeal to daily drivers and boy racer buyers, so long as they're single: The Genesis' backseat volume and cargo capacity suffer from its small stature. And while its interior is functional, styling on all fronts leaves our judging panel polarized. Some enjoy its curves; others remain confused about the rear window's droop into the bodyline. While the Genesis' curbside appeal is debatable, there is another car here whose styling confuses no one.

WINNER: FORD MUSTANG

The Mustang is not the fastest car here. Nor is it the most eye-catching. Or the best handler. These traits we've already bestowed upon the preceding cars -- as well as their inherent downsides. The Mustang instead takes these qualities, lessens their ill effects just so, and blends them into an ideal mix.

With 305 horsepower, the most torque, and a curb weight just 41 pounds heavier than the smaller Genesis, the Mustang delivers ample acceleration, either tying or scoring strong second-place finishes in each performance metric. Plus, its fuel economy earns top honors from the EPA, and second-best on our drive.

The Mustang delivers style in spades, inducing a sense of cool even when parked next to the other more dramatic nostalgia-mobiles. Its shape has undergone 47 years of refinement, allowing it to evoke the spirit of the original car without compromising functionality. And while its character isn't as immediately gratifying as the Challenger's blast of Toxic Orange, the Mustang won't grow tiresome day in and day out.

Being the softest sprung of the bunch, the Mustang can become unnerving in excess of 7/10ths ("Wallowing at speed is unnerving," per editor at large Ron Kiino). But for the majority of city drivers, the smoother ride is worth some backroad unpleasantry. Ford offers better suspenders in the V-6 Performance Package ($1995), but limits the option to manual-equipped cars. Enthusiasts will buy the car fitted as such anyway, as the six-speed automatic here quickly races to top gear in the hunt for every last bit of fuel economy.

Most buyers won't notice such omissions. Instead, they'll enjoy the wonderfully styled and feature-rich interior. The always fantastic Sync comes standard, setting the bar for audio systems in this segment. A backup camera is available without choosing the $2340 navigation package's screen, adding a display in the rearview mirror. Ford also boasts a plethora of customization options, allowing buyers to tailor their future car from the factory. Don't like the standard fascia? Change it. Want a hood scoop, or some stripes? Have them.

No, it's not the quickest, most fun, or loaded with the most character. But the Mustang happily marries each of these attributes into a liveable, realistic daily driver with little compromise. By a thin margin, we elect the Mustang the people's best ponycar representative.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. Ummm. I'm not sure anything I just read there made any sense. Sounds like the Genesis still wins from reading their results. I didn't hear much in the way of negatives that would have nudged it into 2nd place.

And this comparo still doesn't make sense. Last time they judged on performance, but didn't award the win to the car that actually performed the best. This time, they're crowning the car that offers the best package, but don't really offer any feedback that proves the Korean is a lesser package than the Mustang.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well clearly the article is bogus. Can any car really lose to a damn V6 challenger? Much less the camaro...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have always disagreed with motor trend and probably always will......
Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the magazine, but their conclusions about cars sometimes seem to be a bit off....honestly, after reading the review, I figured that the Hyundai came out on top
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I love the magazine, but their conclusions about cars sometimes seem to be a bit off....honestly, after reading the review, I figured that the Hyundai came out on top
Well having worked for a major rental company the last 6 years almost everything motor trend says is complete bs. I read and the article and drive the car and think to myself WTF? Where are they getting that?

Agreed that the article doesn't make much sense though.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

woo hoo one wheel peels in the 6bangers

I like Hyundai
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 AM
***Repost Police***

Mustang V6 comes stock with a limited slip differential.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Mustang V6 comes stock with a limited slip differential.
Well judging by the other pics, I assume the Challenger and the Camaro do NOT.

My point was, if they one wheel peel, why the hell take a picture of it?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:58 AM
***Repost Police***

General public sees tire smoke and they think, "yay! I'm gonna go do that now!"
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The way they talk about the Mustang, to me seems like that should have been the 4th place car so why is it 1st? Sorry that article makes little to no sense to me...typical writing from MotorTrend of course.

My order would have been:
1st Mustang
2nd Camaro
3rd Genesis
4th Challenger
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
***Repost Police***

Just out of curiosity, why did you put the Camaro ahead of the Genesis?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say the review is off, but the order I would put them in is the same. That v6 camaro and challenger isn't sporty at all so I'd rather have the challenger over the camaro just on looks and comfort. I'd have the Genesis, but I'd still take the mustang over all of them.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could accept their results if they'd provided a much better explanation of the pros and cons that led to them.

Perhaps they should provide us the score card they used to determine the placement. Hmph, you know what? Who cares? If I'm in the market for one of these cars I'll let my own first hand experience make up my mind....not some confused auto-journalists.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Teching In

I read the first article with all four and the mustang came in second and alot of people complained and thought it should of beat the genesis, so here is the test again and what a suprise the mustang won this time around (not sayin it shouldn't of, i think it should of won the first test more than this one).

All these magazines have hidden agenda's most of the time when they run comparisons like this the results usually ends up like this and majority of the people who read it tend to disagree.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I woulda flip flopped the mustang and the genesis.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i also have never been one to agree with Motor Trend. Honestly, to me, the Genesis is the only car here with ANY APPEAL whatsoever. Mainly because if i were to buy any of the other three, i wouldn't get the 6 cylinder. That said, i would still buy a genesis coupe 3.8 track, and i would not buy any 8 or 6 cylinder variant of any of the other three. The Gensis has such aggressive styling, all the creature comforts i want, and has a great aftermarket support for such a young car, and on top of all that, it gets the best MPG from what i have researched. I have driven all of these cars, and basically the American three feel like exactly what they are, a Ford, a GM, and a Dodge. The Hyundai rivals my Audi in many ways, better fit and finish, better feeling chassis, incredible throttle response, one of the best navs you can buy (its the same as fords) and its the easiest car to drive it turns sharper, handles better, its just more polished over all and zippy. I dont know, i just love it. I think im going to order one honestly.

AND BTW i have had four WS6's, and i currently own one, and i have had two Z06's so no im not a Hyundai fan boy troll. I bought a 2006 Kia spectra SX and have had it for about three years and have put 140,000 miles on it and it still has not had a single problem, still consistently gets 38mpg,uses no oil, ac is cold, shifts are crisp and tight, engine sounds great (2.0 DOHC), windows roll up and down super fast and if you own an fbody you know why i like that lol, and there isnt a creak rattle or squeak anywhere in the interior, more than i can say for any other car ive ever owned, even my audi TT. After owning this car i will always check to see what Hyundai/Kia has for offer before deciding to buy a car. I mean ill shop around, but ill always consider them alongside my other choices. I am currently waiting to drive the turbo Optima and the Turbo Soprtage plus i hear we'll be getting the new Ceed, a 300hp hatch from Kia its a very cool car and would make a great Daily driver (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=642)!!!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fundamental problem with comparing these 4 cars still remains with one fact: they are comparing 3 base model cars with a premium model car. I understand they are doing a "V6" powered comparison, but that doesn't change the fact that the V6 versions of the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are offered as "trade-downs" for spending bigger money on the V8 variants. On the other hand, the V6 Genesis is the model that most (that are interested) aspire to own, rather than opting for the lesser I4 base model. Therefore, you can expect less compromise in its design and features when compared to the sixxer ponies.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:11 PM
***Repost Police***

The 4cyl Genesis ain't much different than the V6.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - V6, RWD Daily Driver/Nav-Equipped Coupe Comparo