12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the L67 4th gen thread (bitchfest), enjoy

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...1-just-me.html
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Why don't they put some R&D into weight loss, they can give it all the power in the world but it's still a tank.
Be careful what you wish for. Due to CAFE that's going to happen. Last I read the Big Three are all studying using lots of aluminum and magnesium to pull it off, both of which are very expensive. Audi already does this and they are somewhat light for their size, but we all know how much they cost.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rpm, no it will not fit without major modification, most say it won't work. Would not be worth it by any means.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Rpm, no it will not fit without major modification, most say it won't work. Would not be worth it by any means.
That's what I figured. I looked at that link above, but I'm not interested enough to read 8 pages of it.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
Be careful what you wish for. Due to CAFE that's going to happen. Last I read the Big Three are all studying using lots of aluminum and magnesium to pull it off, both of which are very expensive. Audi already does this and they are somewhat light for their size, but we all know how much they cost.
I just think it's an oversight on GM's part that they allowed the Camaro to weigh a full 300 lbs more than the Mustang. It's not necessary for it to weigh that much. It's not like it has T-tops so the chassis has to be extra stiff, it's just overweight.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Latch
I just think it's an oversight on GM's part that they allowed the Camaro to weigh a full 300 lbs more than the Mustang. It's not necessary for it to weigh that much. It's not like it has T-tops so the chassis has to be extra stiff, it's just overweight.
It isn't, they built it out of the best RWD platform they had globally which just so happened to be developed for a fullsize car - the Holden Commodore. A damn good car at that. No different than Chrysler adapting what they had for the Challenger.

Nearly every car on the market the Camaro's size weighs what it does, there is no getting around that using steel and keeping the price down. Every vehicle weighs almost 20% more today than the equivalent models did ten years ago.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if there gonna start having 4 cylinder HP wars now, like they have V8 and now V6 wars!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WSsick
Might be there because the tires aren't rated any higher.
For a moment, this occurred to me... Then I was thinking, "No, this is a "performance package" and the tires are the same as those used on the GT... Which is limited to 149mph.

I think they did it just because they wanted to, or the government offered some silly kickback, or the insurance industry did, or the tire manufacturer(though totally unlikely)... Anyway, they made a decision that sucks for wouldbe or actual owners... Whatever their reason, *I* don't like it!

Btw, I think it's likely because they didn't want it running with the GT up top... Just me. Not that an uncorked GT wouldn't EASILY outrun the same from the V6 car, but considering they bottle up the GT as well...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I wonder if there gonna start having 4 cylinder HP wars now, like they have V8 and now V6 wars!
Well Idonno about the rest of you, but I sure hope not! It's got it's "cool" factor, but it's just not worth the effort as a consumer, to go looking for high performance from a 4cyl... Maybe a Miata style thing, where parking lots are a blast, but not real racing regardless.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
It isn't, they built it out of the best RWD platform they had globally which just so happened to be developed for a fullsize car - the Holden Commodore. A damn good car at that. No different than Chrysler adapting what they had for the Challenger.

Nearly every car on the market the Camaro's size weighs what it does, there is no getting around that using steel and keeping the price down. Every vehicle weighs almost 20% more today than the equivalent models did ten years ago.
Don't get me wrong - I agree with you on all points, but Ford has managed to keep the Mustang a reasonable weight, and given that GM had 7 years to design the 2010 Camaro they should have put more thought into the weight of the thing. They could have used lighter mufflers, plastic body panels, lighter wheels, etc.

If you ask me, they shouldn't have used the Holden platform. I know why they did it, it saves money since they don't have to design a new platform, and it works great for the G8, but it's too heavy for a Camaro - and ultimately IRS is unnecessary when the Mustang (its main competitor) is still using a live axle, and it handles just fine.

But in the end my opinion is irrelevant because the new Camaro is a huge hit for GM, and that's all that matters. It's outselling the competition, so they must be doing something right.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For one, I didn't want this to be a bitching thread or post. I didn't know about the rabble going on in the LT1 board. I am a V6 guy through and through, but I respect anything that puts out good performance especially when there's somebody that bloodied their knuckles on that project.

The point I was trying to make is that the potential was there, but it was never capitalized upon. Now with the new standards and with the focus shifting to competition with Euro and other Eastern companies using higher performance V6s, the Domestic companies are having to step up their game.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't know if anyone has ever done the conversion, but will the L67 blower even fit under the cowl of a 4th gen F-body? I'm asking, honestly I don't know....

The L67 was a very potent contender, and easily modded for sure. But I don't think it would have swayed many "performance" buyers away from the LS1, nor would it have swayed many L36 buyers to spend more money just for added horsepower. Not saying it wouldn't have sold, but sales would have been very soft.
Sadly, there isn't as large a V6 enthusiast community or aftermarket here as there is in Australia. When you have three levels of engines available, go figure. But then they don't have quite as many "brands" under the same company competing for eachother like we have here in the states with all the badge engineering and whoring out of platforms.

They had the NA, Supercharged and V8 engines all in the same platform for the Commodore.

There's a huge V6 following over there, plenty of fast 6's, even the Formula Holden series used one of the earlier generation L36's for their main powerplant. Nothing like a V6 re-engineered to rev the **** out of itself to almost 8K rpms and make over 300hp NA.

Originally Posted by lemons12
It has been done, so far it has been published three times on the forums. It requires extensive modification to the snout of the M90 and then additional wire splicing/tuning to get it to play nicely.

Here's an article of a prototype of both a supercharged LT1 (before the LS1 was a viable option) and a supercharged V6.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't hear of too many V6 only guys, especially on a platform with V8s as the tried and true better platform.

Where did you get that article? I'd like to see it in bigger font.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

It was online, can't really find any larger article, but I will dig for sure.

But yeah, I'm a bit of an oddball. I just find my preference, even if it isn't easier or cost effective. But it is rewarding after working your way through all the hardships. Most of the guys in the community give up and go on to the V8's. We actually have a group that call themselves the V8 ********. It's entertaining really. I've always wanted to take this engine to the limits, who knows what I'll be looking into a couple years from now.

I'd honestly like to take a newer generation V6 and put it into my Firebird. Nothing like a newer powerplant in a lighter chassis.

It's like those guys that love old Jaguars. They're almost always broken down or causing issues, but when they have that chance to enjoy it, they're the happiest people on the face of the planet.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 AM
***Repost Police***

Peak numbers draw attention and help sell cars. They do not, however, guaranty V6 acceleration that matches a V8 of similar peak rating throughout the full rpm range of a street engine.
Yeah, it's hard to match the rpm range of a good V8. But a bolt-on/geared V6 Mustang would catch a lot of people off-guard
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

All this talk of V6 is making me miss my Typhoon!! Talk about some potent V6's from the general back in the day!!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
13 Second Truck Club

I think its a good move for Gm to make a stronger v6 because as unbelievable as it is the vast majority of sales are v6s. I know this may sound crazy but I hear a lot of people who look into camaros and mustangs say that "the v6 is all I need".
Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by WarShrike
It has been done, so far it has been published three times on the forums. It requires extensive modification to the snout of the M90 and then additional wire splicing/tuning to get it to play nicely.
Seems to me that the better option would be a turbo; equal or better power to be made and no need to fabricate fitment of a roots blower under the cowl.

The turbo Buick crowd has long proven the extensive power that can be made with a 3.8L V6 + turbo (or two). I'd rather go that route, if I was going to convert a V6 4th gen to an FI setup, as opposed to an L67 conversion.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

More power is never a bad thing but I dont know if it will be able to compete with the new mustang.

Those cars have been surprising me lately because both the v6 and v8 have been posting some very fast lap times. The v6 mustang in the new car and driver I believe it was posted lap times MUCH faster than the new STI and almost as fast as some much more expensive cars, albeit the fact that the v6 mustang was bouncing off its electronically limited 114 mph top speed nearly the entire straight at VIR, meening it could have whooped the STI even worse if you just removed the top speed limiter.

BTW I do think this could be competition for a stock ls1 but most likely not just because this engine is strapped into a chassis thats several hundred lbs heavier which will effect a lower torque engine more. Otherwise this engine may put down very similar dyno numbers.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Seems to me that the better option would be a turbo; equal or better power to be made and no need to fabricate fitment of a roots blower under the cowl.

The turbo Buick crowd has long proven the extensive power that can be made with a 3.8L V6 + turbo (or two). I'd rather go that route, if I was going to convert a V6 4th gen to an FI setup, as opposed to an L67 conversion.
Considering the amount of work it requires to do an M90 setup on a V6 F-body, yes a turbo setup is by and large the better way to go.

I honestly would rather go turbo as well, many more options to choose from. But considering how few production cars in the mid 90's had turbos, the supercharger was the usual OEM approach to getting a little more power out of a car. A roots blower is also considerably easier to maintain over the long haul for an OEM application.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure also with that swap you have to swap the heads. I'm not 100% sure but I know you have to do it on the grand prixs, just not sure on the fbody.
I looked into it a bit and remember reading that.

Quick Reply: Six Cyls in Ls1 power territory