Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - 2012 R35 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the 2012 "Black edition" on nissanusa and it shows a base price of $95,100 and a $1,000.00 destination fee. It doesn't mention the gas guzzler tax, but one surely comes with that car. The premium version starts at $89,950... Once fees are added, this car will top the 100k mark with only a few options added. Oddly, it's really not a whole bunch smaller than the current Camaro. Smaller indeed, but not as much as I expected. It is clearly larger than the 370Z, of course.

The only other thing I hadn't paid any attention to before, but noticed tonight... No fog lamps for the GT-R or the 370Z, according to their website and from the looks, the photos as well. I would've said they have them if anyone asked...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I got the 2012 "Black edition" on nissanusa and it shows a base price of $95,100 and a $1,000.00 destination fee. It doesn't mention the gas guzzler tax, but one surely comes with that car. The premium version starts at $89,950... Once fees are added, this car will top the 100k mark with only a few options added. Oddly, it's really not a whole bunch smaller than the current Camaro. Smaller indeed, but not as much as I expected. It is clearly larger than the 370Z, of course.

The only other thing I hadn't paid any attention to before, but noticed tonight... No fog lamps for the GT-R or the 370Z, according to their website and from the looks, the photos as well. I would've said they have them if anyone asked...

What you are saying here just sounds like you are picking at small things. The Black edition is a luxury pacakge for the 2012 GT-R with different wheels and added features. The prices are marked up because the car just came out, just like the prices were marked up for the ZR1. I saw a ZR1 go for $140,000 when it came out in 09. As for the gas guzzler tax, the ZR1 gets gas guzzler tax too as well as many other cars with the same power output as the GT-R.

The car isn't even out yet, just enjoy the show until it comes out.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheHitman
What you are saying here just sounds like you are picking at small things. The Black edition is a luxury pacakge for the 2012 GT-R with different wheels and added features. The prices are marked up because the car just came out, just like the prices were marked up for the ZR1. I saw a ZR1 go for $140,000 when it came out in 09. As for the gas guzzler tax, the ZR1 gets gas guzzler tax too as well as many other cars with the same power output as the GT-R.

The car isn't even out yet, just enjoy the show until it comes out.
Did it cross your mind at all, that I added the base price of the premium version as well? I didn't "pick at" anything. I simply listed the facts as I saw them on Nissan's website.

I didn't say a thing about marked up prices... I listed what the manufacturer lists. Doesn't matter to me if they're marked up at dealers or not, but the odds are slim any real markup will happen. It's a low production vehicle in a not so good market for expensive cars, let alone those with somewhat low fuel economy ratings. Even in a car like the GT-R, which gets good mileage for the power, the market isn't going to have much room for inflated pricing.

As for the ZR1, different league. I saw a new one sitting on the showroom in a Dallas area dealership with a 121k sticker... It sold rather quickly and that was December of '09. There was no markup on the vehicle, but it was "loaded" and beautiful.

While it also comes with the GG tax, it's not actually part of this challenge... The ZO6 was used because it fit into the price range.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

I didn't say a thing about marked up prices... I listed what the manufacturer lists. Doesn't matter to me if they're marked up at dealers or not, but the odds are slim any real markup will happen. It's a low production vehicle in a not so good market for expensive cars, let alone those with somewhat low fuel economy ratings. Even in a car like the GT-R, which gets good mileage for the power, the market isn't going to have much room for inflated pricing.
I agree. While the 2012 will be somewhat more desirable to the all out enthusiast than the 2011/2010 models still sitting in dealer showrooms right now, the lower prices on those leftovers still remaining once the 2012 comes out will make any dealer 'gouging' unlikely.
When the GT-R first arrived here a few years back I thought it was going to be a runaway hit but then I saw the same car sitting at my local dealership for almost 8 months in a row.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 AM
***Repost Police***

The people that really wanted them, bought them. Now it's just another $90k+ car. Plenty of those sit on dealership lots a year after they're introduced. Unless of course you're Ferrari; then there's a 2 year waiting list (even though they might not be as fast as promised).
Old 02-19-2011, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup, there's a ZR1 that's been sitting at my local dealer for the last two months. It tease me every time I go to the parts store.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 AM
***Repost Police***

Exactly.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Ain't that something. There was a ZR1 at the dealership I get my oil changes at for 6 months. I was drooling over it and the saleguy kept on asking every time whether I wanted to trade my Z06 for it lol.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow... The American version gets a 21mpg hwy rating(and a gas guzzler tax, no doubt), but it also says it's 485hp, like the 2010 model. I guess they're still selling the 2011, and it's the same as 2010... Anyway, it sure gets "alot" better mileage away from America!
Metric gallon vs imperial gallon. Still from 21 mpg to 32 is much too high of an increase, lol!

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - 2012 R35 Nissan GT-R Black Edition