Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Confirmed (Formely Z28 Rumor)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Zl1 and PP GT500s run the same tire. Grated, the ZL1's MIGHT be 305 in lieu of 285s, but that is not going to make a big difference. The PTM system might, but modd'd ZL1s will still need to run on a better tire to get good times.
I think the auto option is great for the guys that want it, but a manual is much more enjoyable to me, especially since I could care less about 1/4 times

Tire compound is much more important than section width.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
they dont need an auto to run well at the track, only sticky tires...
The quicker ET's will surely come from transmissions not currently factory installed by Ford, that's all.

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
Tire compound is much more important than section width.
Not necessarily. When the tire is too narrow, even great tires won't likely hold the power any better than a wide enough tire with a poor compound. Besides, if you put a 3in tire on there, there'd be no controlling most autos of today, regardless the compound. That would mean the width is more important than the compound, no?

In the case of these cars, though... It's almost pointless because the only rubber that's really going to work well is the high end stuff used in racing, and that never lasts long. Tires are just another big expense of a powerful car.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I think the auto option is great for the guys that want it, but a manual is much more enjoyable to me, especially since I could care less about 1/4 times
Agree, I prefer Automatic as my choice of transmission so this opens the door for me to buy one in 20 years when I can afford it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The quicker ET's will surely come from transmissions not currently factory installed by Ford, that's all.

Not necessarily. When the tire is too narrow, even great tires won't likely hold the power any better than a wide enough tire with a poor compound. Besides, if you put a 3in tire on there, there'd be no controlling most autos of today, regardless the compound. That would mean the width is more important than the compound, no?

In the case of these cars, though... It's almost pointless because the only rubber that's really going to work well is the high end stuff used in racing, and that never lasts long. Tires are just another big expense of a powerful car.
If you look at the physics equation, you will see what I am talking about.
Like I said though, modded cars will need R-comps anyways, so bitching about the tires on the car is worthless.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
that is the case for any car, not just ford. the current gt500s run 11s all day with just a tire swap, so suspension and tranny are getting the job done. the question is will the ZL1's IRS get the job done. as you can see the current 5.0(not to mention the gt500) with its solid live axle will out 60ft any stock SS. i would rather have the best solid axle setup in the world made by ford, than a mediocre IRS setup made by GM...
Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theres upgrades for IRS but that **** isnt cheap.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Sidewall height and tire compound can be just as or more important than tire width (after a certain point).
Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Like I say towards all these spec talks about cars that aren't out yet... Ill believe it when I see it! The ZL1 is going to be a bad *** car from all the news I've been hearing about it. The 2013 GT500? who knows.... Nothing is really official for it compared to the ZL1. I'm just happy GM is making a better competition car against the S/C stangs & offering more options. As long as Camaros are outselling Mustangs I'm happy I already knew that the ZL1 was going to have more then 550 hp I mean come on... lol now they need to focus on weight & getting that thing to launch like a bat out of hell. Something the GT500 has lacked in.. I'm still waiting for that Z28 news to be announced yet to take on the Boss 302

There is almost nothing "official" out about the ZL1 yet.
that is the case for any car, not just ford. the current gt500s run 11s all day with just a tire swap, so suspension and tranny are getting the job done. the question is will the ZL1's IRS get the job done. as you can see the current 5.0(not to mention the gt500) with its solid live axle will out 60ft any stock SS. i would rather have the best solid axle setup in the world made by ford, than a mediocre IRS setup made by GM...
Agreed.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
I'm still waiting for that Z28 news to be announced yet to take on the Boss 302
Me too!

they dont need an auto to run well at the track, only sticky tires...
...along with a great driver as well of course. Not to state the obvious but all the power and sticky tires in the world mean nothing if the driver doesn't know how to launch or shift.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If youre going to get something like this, better get it soon. Who knows how long we will be allowed to drive them around on city streets...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
If youre going to get something like this, better get it soon. Who knows how long we will be allowed to drive them around on city streets...
it seems ive been hearing this for a long time and they keep pumping them out.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
No worries... The government will just keep jacking up the tax of buying cars like this and people will keep buying them.

Quick Reply: 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Confirmed (Formely Z28 Rumor)