Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Autoblog - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
I think production was going to be around 8000, unless they changed it, so not very rare.
When they build 80k standard GTs every year 8k over two years isn't terribly common. That and the execution ensures this car is going to hold it's value really well.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

^80k Mustangs total you mean, right? That would make ~1 in every 10 Mustangs a Boss 302, not all that rare.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gocartone
^80k Mustangs total you mean, right? That would make ~1 in every 10 Mustangs a Boss 302, not all that rare.
It'll likely end up about as rare as the 03/04 Mach 1's after two years of production. Not something you'll see on a regular basis, or at least not as often as a standard GT.

My main complaint with the limited production is that it makes it harder to secure one without dealer mark-ups. If you can land one for MSRP, you're making out pretty good.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Well, I wanted one before, but after seeing that startup vid with the Track key, I will own one of these cars someday.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
^Ya I dont know. I have never driven a 5th Gen but something about it just doesnt do it for me. Maybe Im bias after owning a 4th gen Camaro and now having a WS6 but I just love that style so much more. My whole life I have always hated on mustangs but the new 5.0s really impress me not in just performance but styling and affordability.
4th gens look mean. 5th gen looks portly.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Nah, it's not America's best answer but it is a damn good answer...and in the areas of value, nostalgia and basic coolness it might even FAR exceed the M3.

Ford GT.
Ya know, when they make those comparisons to the M3 they're not necessarily talking about fine leathers and door gaps. They're really referring to lap times and winning races, ya know, things that are FAR MORE important to a true performance car enthusiast than how good the speakers in the headrests sound or how effective the iDrive system is at finding a good steakhouse.
The Mustang isn't exactly a poorly built car and for that matter, BMWs haven't been without their own notable issues in the areas of quality or reliability either.

You're right, the Boss 302 is the better value and probably the overall better track car as well.
Maybe I'm the minority here, but what's wrong with a performance car being able to rip off a great lap time while hauling your kids around and finding a good steakhouse all at the same time? I understand that Ford wants to build a niche car for the few thousand of you guys that want to be a SCCA racer someday, but the likely truth of the matter is most of these cars will be bought by collectors and hardly ever driven, let alone beaten on a track.

Great job comparing the M3, which starts at 55,900 to the Ford GT that had a sticker of about 152,000....I should hope that something nearly 3 times the price would at least be the same quality. The 41K that the Boss 302 is projected to start at, is not all that far off the M3. I think you get a few more things with the M3, such as a rear seat without a jungle gym, useable trunk space, any creature comforts you would likely want, great warranty and maintenance plan....on top of all of the power and performance stuff. Not to mention the fact that the M3 doesn't look like a Hot Wheels car with the stupid stripes and color coded everything screaming "look at me, I'm important!"

I'm just saying, its a stupid comparison because these 2 cars are in completely different categories. Its no different when Top Gear compared the 5th gen to a 63 AMG Benz sedean, they have nothing in common.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TriShield

Do you know if they also removed those restricter plates in the exhaust in the vid?

I think that whole quad exhaust thing was kinda cool. Didn't think any auto manufacturer had the ***** to do something like that. Wonder where it dumps though...looks like under the car as opposed to out the sides.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
Great job comparing the M3, which starts at 55,900 to the Ford GT that had a sticker of about 152,000....I should hope that something nearly 3 times the price would at least be the same quality.
You're right, it was a pretty silly comparison, I suppose I was wrong for making it.
But then again, "great job" on making some silly blanket statements of your own as well.
Nothing Ford builds will ever be in the same build quality and craftsmanship of BMW's flagship enthusiast car.
Yes, my only valid response was for a car costing 3 times as much...let's not forget that it also performs substantially better as well (again, as it should).
Well, at least one of us can admit that we were wrong LOL.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Ya know, I'd feel a lot better if I knew people were actually looking at ONLY the true merits of the cars when making comparisons and not also allowing what their friends at the country club were going to think or how the money grubbing hoe bag at the bar was going to respond when he pulls up to the curb to cloud their judgement.
Sometimes I get the impression that opinion often gets substituted for fact solely due to the label attached to a vehicle, "well of course it's a BMW, it simply has to be better" etc.

In a race, the car that wins is the winner, period.
When the Corvettes beat the Ferraris and Jaguars at LeMans (or when the Mustangs beat the M3s when they race here in the U.S.) the organizers didn't then take the wins away because the others may have had nicer suede on their seats and shift ***** LOL.
The trophy, the trophy girls, the prize money etc ALWAYS goes to the winner.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

/\/\/\ +1 I definitely agree.

There's just alot of Bimmer fans/enthusiasts that don't like the idea of the mighty M3's performance coming in second fiddle to American pig iron. Ford targeted the new Mustangs' performance at the M3 because the M3 is considered the benchmark for modern 2+2 RWD coupe performance. Anyone who wants to get all worked up over price differences and/or amenities just doesn't understand the point of the comparison.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I'm the minority here, but what's wrong with a performance car being able to rip off a great lap time while hauling your kids around and finding a good steakhouse all at the same time? I understand that Ford wants to build a niche car for the few thousand of you guys that want to be a SCCA racer someday, but the likely truth of the matter is most of these cars will be bought by collectors and hardly ever driven, let alone beaten on a track.
The same thing that holds true for the new Boss not getting tracked the majority of the time also holds true for the M3. I can promise you that better than 95% of M3 buyers don't ever TOUCH the performance capabilities of that car. It's nothing more than a status symbol, not unlike all the baby boomers that will only break out their Boss 302 on sunny weekends to drive the speed limit.
The 41K that the Boss 302 is projected to start at, is not all that far off the M3.
So do you side with the Mustang guys when they suggest that the current GT500 pricing is not "all that far off" the new Camaro SS'?
I think you get a few more things with the M3, such as a rear seat without a jungle gym, useable trunk space, any creature comforts you would likely want, great warranty and maintenance plan....on top of all of the power and performance stuff.
I'm sure Ford doesn't delete the trunk in the new Boss (and the S197 Mustangs have lots of trunk space). And you make it sound as if anyone who buys a new Mustang will be on their own after they drive off the lot with it. Ford offers warranties and service plans too, ya know.
Not to mention the fact that the M3 doesn't look like a Hot Wheels car with the stupid stripes and color coded everything screaming "look at me, I'm important!"
That's because the Bimmer's driver takes care of all that bravado himself.

I'm just saying, its a stupid comparison because these 2 cars are in completely different categories.
They are both 2+2 RWD V8 powered coupes. They just happen to be targeted at two different markets. That doesn't make the comparison stupid. Stupid is comparing a FWD hatchback to an AWD SUV.
Its no different when Top Gear compared the 5th gen to a 63 AMG Benz sedean.
Well then you can consider this the Americans' payback for that Euro-snob travesty.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Great job comparing the M3, which starts at 55,900 to the Ford GT that had a sticker of about 152,000....I should hope that something nearly 3 times the price would at least be the same quality. The 41K that the Boss 302 is projected to start at, is not all that far off the M3. I think you get a few more things with the M3, such as a rear seat without a jungle gym, useable trunk space, any creature comforts you would likely want, great warranty and maintenance plan....on top of all of the power and performance stuff. Not to mention the fact that the M3 doesn't look like a Hot Wheels car with the stupid stripes and color coded everything screaming "look at me, I'm important!"

I'm just saying, its a stupid comparison because these 2 cars are in completely different categories. Its no different when Top Gear compared the 5th gen to a 63 AMG Benz sedean, they have nothing in common.
Dude, I'm with ya. This car is a poor attempt at a SCCA Trans Am recreation.

My blanket statements will keep me warm...

What is the released time that the BOSS 302 has lapped the Nurburgring?

If the BOSS 302 is the Track car they say it is then it should be compared to the track/enthusiast car version of the M3 (Generally something called the CSL; last made for the E46 Series)? So the GT to M3; BOSS to M3 CSL.

How many Mustangs are competitively raced in ALMS?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moparboy72
Oh great, another one who thinks this new Boss is a sticker and body kit special.

My blanket statements will keep me warm...
Kinda like ignorance delivers bliss?

What is the released time that the BOSS 302 has lapped the Nurburgring?
I don't think it has made a pass there yet. Does that mean the car doesn't exist yet?

If the BOSS 302 is the Track car they say it is then it should be compared to the track/enthusiast car version of the M3 (Generally something called the CSL; last made for the E46 Series)? So the GT to M3; BOSS to M3 CSL.
So you want to compare the BRAND new Boss to a car BMW hasn't built for years? Umm, ok. The M3 currently IS the track/enthusiast model for the 3 series.....and the ordinary Mustang GT (incidently the MIDDLE child model of the Mustang line) hangs with it and even beats it in a number of categories. So....I'm not so sure that standing behind that statement makes your opinion look any smarter.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Oh great, another one who thinks this new Boss is a sticker and body kit special.

Kinda like ignorance delivers bliss?

I don't think it has made a pass there yet. Does that mean the car doesn't exist yet?

So you want to compare the BRAND new Boss to a car BMW hasn't built for years? Umm, ok. The M3 currently IS the track/enthusiast model for the 3 series.....and the ordinary Mustang GT (incidently the MIDDLE child model of the Mustang line) hangs with it and even beats it in a number of categories. So....I'm not so sure that standing behind that statement makes your opinion look any smarter.
incorrect sir....you can currently purchase the M3 S3-R with 527 hp and a rash of suspension and drivetrain mods just like the "untouchable" Boss.

moving on to the guy who was praising Ford for being the first automaker to "having the *****" to put and bypass in the exhaust system.....wake up...GM, Mercedes Benz, and Aston Martin have been doing that for years.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it just me....I'd rather have a GT500....I think the boss is kinda lame, lol.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Too much money for what is still a Mustang.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparboy72

I don't know about that. The BOSS is the real deal. Although, Roush can't be real happy about it because it is a compitent replacement for what Roush had been doing for Mustang.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why is roush upset? There are still a million of those rolling around being built and sold!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Why is roush upset? There are still a million of those rolling around being built and sold!!
Roush doesn't give a ****, he's too busy crashing airplanes and watching his team not win NASCAR races.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

EXACTLY..... The boss isn't taking away from his mustang sales, lol.

Quick Reply: Autoblog - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302