Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Faulty Transmissions Plague 2011 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurray87

But I sometimes forget that we never make our own stuff anymore.
Yep. Too bad some of these rich as **** CEOs will not invest in a proper transmission facility. Oh, I don't know........Muncie, Indiana?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I'm sure Ford will fix this....the car is stellar in pretty much every other way. Not a huge deal IMO. Sucks for the owners that are dealing with it....but hey, they still have a badass ride.
I agree, its a great overall package. Ironically, I got a buddy who has been racing his new Challenger a lot with some Nittos. He had to take it in for trans warranty service bc it was acting up. Its stuck there because they can't get the parts for the trans. Now that sucks.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7998
Lets tell it like it is and use the correct title. Faulty Chinese-built transmissions plague new Ford Mustang
http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty-chinese+built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-mustang
Yet again Chinese made garbage.
Yeah, you are so right!
Their steering wheels probably fall off also! oopsy
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...g-problem.html
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just baffles me that they didn't use the Tremec T6060 or T56 in the new Mustang. That trans has proven to be very durable, which is probably the most important aspect in a car like a V8 Mustang. You know there are going to be some pretty meathead drivers who will be doing 4000rpm clutch dumps, powershifting, and just generally trying their best to break ****.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The balloons of many ford guys have just been popped
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
The balloons of many ford guys have just been popped
Surely you don't really believe that... There are probably at least near 50,000 out there and only a small number with any real issue beyond a poor driver holding the steering mechanism...
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...smissions.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

tell that to these guys.......dont you ever visit the ford forums? it has been discussed to death by guys who actually OWN A 2011 FORD GT
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...smissions.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

tell that to these guys.......dont you ever visit the ford forums? it has been discussed to death by guys who actually OWN A 2011 FORD GT
Have them make a list of the ACTUAL PEOPLE with problems, not just a thread discussing them. We're ALL aware some have had a problem(or more). The fact remains, thousands are out there. Fewer than 100 seem to have an actual problem.

I'm not saying Ford wouldn't have been better off using the Tremec. No question, production cost is why they didn't, but whatever... They didn't. Those buyers had the option of getting an automatic and they wanted the manual. It's not like nobody knew it was a Getrag before buying. The only ones who didn't simply never looked into the unit. It wasn't rated to handle the stock torque. I'd be willing to bet that nearly 100% of those with a problem also have a modified car. Oh well.

No, by the way... I don't ever check those forums. Too many children. I've been a member there for years... Can't even remember my user name. Can't remember on the Corral either, and just recently got my stangnet ID, but I'm not going to be active... Too many kids. This place is going the same route... I suppose I'm just gettong older and feeling like it.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Have them make a list of the ACTUAL PEOPLE with problems, not just a thread discussing them. We're ALL aware some have had a problem(or more). The fact remains, thousands are out there. Fewer than 100 seem to have an actual problem.

I'm not saying Ford wouldn't have been better off using the Tremec. No question, production cost is why they didn't, but whatever... They didn't. Those buyers had the option of getting an automatic and they wanted the manual. It's not like nobody knew it was a Getrag before buying. The only ones who didn't simply never looked into the unit. It wasn't rated to handle the stock torque. I'd be willing to bet that nearly 100% of those with a problem also have a modified car. Oh well.

No, by the way... I don't ever check those forums. Too many children. I've been a member there for years... Can't even remember my user name. Can't remember on the Corral either, and just recently got my stangnet ID, but I'm not going to be active... Too many kids. This place is going the same route... I suppose I'm just gettong older and feeling like it.
Yes that was a forum with ACTUAL PEOPLE , this forum will never be like svtperformance, we still have the same good mods we have always had. The shitty ford mustang forums just reflects the ignorance and insecurity of alot of mustang owners. Im not trying to be a fan boy brand loyalist, but LS1tech and most Mustang forums are like night and day.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Yes that was a forum with ACTUAL PEOPLE , this forum will never be like svtperformance, we still have the same good mods we have always had. The shitty ford mustang forums just reflects the ignorance and insecurity of alot of mustang owners. Im not trying to be a fan boy brand loyalist, but LS1tech and most Mustang forums are like night and day.
Yeah, great... Whatever.

Got a list of the people WITH the problem as opposed to the ones just talking about it? Most owners on those forums DON'T own a new 5L car, by the way. Most seem to have V6 cars. In total, about 100k have been sold and I seriously doubt all the owners are on that website. Even if they were, there's about 3000 posts now, and surely more than half are from people who don't have a problem or are repeat posters, or both. We're talking about an issue or two for about 3% of these cars... so far.

There are some saying they changed the clutch(on their own in some cases, for racing) and showing no problems... Maybe it's in the clutch. Others are saying with the fluid replaced(with something different) at a dealership, their problems go away. Others are saying it's only a cold weather issue. Others are saying it's only in the transmission itself... They're all over the board on the causes and the fixes.

The bottom line is simple. Ford will get this hashed out and make needed changes. The Tremec would be a more stout transmission impo, but even those have had troubles in the past.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, great... Whatever.

Got a list of the people WITH the problem as opposed to the ones just talking about it? Most owners on those forums DON'T own a new 5L car, by the way. Most seem to have V6 cars. In total, about 100k have been sold and I seriously doubt all the owners are on that website. Even if they were, there's about 3000 posts now, and surely more than half are from people who don't have a problem or are repeat posters, or both. We're talking about an issue or two for about 3% of these cars... so far.

There are some saying they changed the clutch(on their own in some cases, for racing) and showing no problems... Maybe it's in the clutch. Others are saying with the fluid replaced(with something different) at a dealership, their problems go away. Others are saying it's only a cold weather issue. Others are saying it's only in the transmission itself... They're all over the board on the causes and the fixes.

The bottom line is simple. Ford will get this hashed out and make needed changes. The Tremec would be a more stout transmission impo, but even those have had troubles in the past.
Thats pretty intresting that the power of v6 stang is giving the tranny problems, it makes sense to see more v6 owners since the V6 outsells the v8
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
The Supra's ran Getrags ad they are strong as hell. My Sierra had constant problems with the drive shaft and it took the dealer 3 warranty claims to make it right
I knew the Supra trans are strong as hell, and getreg, so this got me thinking. Back when the MkIV came out, was Getreg a Chinese company? Or did they outsource and start making crap like Honeywell did with Garret?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, great... Whatever.

Got a list of the people WITH the problem as opposed to the ones just talking about it? Most owners on those forums DON'T own a new 5L car, by the way. .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmY2...ature=youtu.be

here is one

Last edited by GMmexican; 04-19-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem isn't just their junk transmissions, it's that they don't stand behind their customers when they break.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXRF...&feature=feedu
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im curious to see how bad this is and how ford handles it before i make my final judgement.

regardless, theres no reason for defending or sack jacking ford for this problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't care if they would fix the stupid things. But denying warranty coverage on a car bought brand new that now has 5k miles on it is ridiculous.

It's not like it was a race car with dozens of passes on it. This is his daily driver.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

comparing apples to oranges here..but i work at Honda. We do tons of 3rd gear synchros on ep3 si's under warranty without question. We don't question how the car was treated but acknowledge the design flaw in a "performance" car. Ford had better stand by these things, specially at 5k miles that's just nonsense
Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

here is one
One... Yeah... Sounds like a MASSIVE problem now that you've gone to the trouble of putting it that way.

Btw, someone should tell that guy who doesn't know what a safety issue is. His transmission problem isn't a safety issue unless he's driving like a dummy. He said it best... He... "don't know know is..." He's understandably unhappy about his transmission... Oh well. That doesn't make a safety issue... His driving style might, however. I've had several transmissions break, requiring me to skip specific gears in order to get them home... Never felt it was a safety issue, though it WAS a racing issue.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
The problem isn't just their junk transmissions, it's that they don't stand behind their customers when they break.
That's not a "Ford" thing, it's a dealer thing, in this case.

Once they determine (at HQ) there's a real problem, and specifically, a real fix, Ford will issue a TSB or recall.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

One... Yeah... Sounds like a MASSIVE problem .
5K miles bone stock and its on its second tranny??? and clutch assembly? thats pretty ******* sad

Quick Reply: Faulty Transmissions Plague 2011 Ford Mustang