Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Faulty Transmissions Plague 2011 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
Last set of tools I bought that were "Made in the USA" fell apart worse than the jap crap. i dont think america has it anymore for producing high quality anything. sorry!
Dude, honestly? I doubt it. My Snap-On tools are three times more durable than crapsman (no longer made in USA), and 20 times as durable as tools anywhere else (benchmade, husky, etc crap) the main problem is that a few US companies are SELLING OUT DUE TO GREED (cough, blue point, cough, craftsman, cough)

"Jap" tools? other than electronics, i havent seen much in the way of japanese tools..

Didnt Pontiac have a getrag tranny in a couple vehicles??

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 04-19-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmexican
5K miles bone stock and its on its second tranny??? and clutch assembly? thats pretty ******* sad
Now you're making it look more like a lemon or a bad driver problem than a string of bad components.

The reality is, more are working fine than badly... by tens of thousands. We should probably just wait and see what comes of this before making a huge deal of it.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
The Supra's ran Getrags ad they are strong as hell. My Sierra had constant problems with the drive shaft and it took the dealer 3 warranty claims to make it right
yep =) my supra get rag is the SMOOTHEST tranny and FLAWLESS when it comes to shifting. basically flawless until 1000+ HP when you start seeing problems with breaking the tranny case but thats only the top racers out there that are really killin them at 1100+ WHP + crazy launches on the track.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Dude, honestly? I doubt it. My Snap-On tools are three times more durable than crapsman (no longer made in USA), and 20 times as durable as tools anywhere else (benchmade, husky, etc crap)

"Jap" tools? other than electronics, i havent seen much in the way of japanese tools..
I agree.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Dude, honestly? I doubt it. My Snap-On tools are three times more durable than crapsman (no longer made in USA), and 20 times as durable as tools anywhere else (benchmade, husky, etc crap) the main problem is that a few US companies are SELLING OUT DUE TO GREED (cough, blue point, cough, craftsman, cough)

I won't bother trying to argue which are the best, as each line has its own merits. That said, 80% of Craftsman Hand Tools are still Made in U.S.A. according to nearly any estimate I can find online. Pretty much any made by Danaher are made in America, while things like tape measures are imported. Not all Snap-On tools are made in America anymore either.

Here's an example of Craftsman Hand Tools, Made in America... http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1

I can't think of any Japanese hand tools, or any other "normal use" tools made in Japan either. As for Snap-On hand tools... I think they're about as good as such tools get, which is part of the high price. Blue Point is a Snap-On brand. I think I remember when it wasn't, and was made in America... Long time ago.

We live in a "global market" these days. It only makes PERFECT sense for major hand tool manufacturers to make tools in China... That's were the CARS are being made these days!! I mean, look how many "American" and other brands are now tool'd up and in full production in China. With well over 4 times America's population, they'll be a great market now that millions are driving cars.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I won't bother trying to argue which are the best, as each line has its own merits. That said, 80% of Craftsman Hand Tools are still Made in U.S.A. according to nearly any estimate I can find online. Pretty much any made by Danaher are made in America, while things like tape measures are imported. Not all Snap-On tools are made in America anymore either.

Here's an example of Craftsman Hand Tools, Made in America... http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1

I can't think of any Japanese hand tools, or any other "normal use" tools made in Japan either. As for Snap-On hand tools... I think they're about as good as such tools get, which is part of the high price. Blue Point is a Snap-On brand. I think I remember when it wasn't, and was made in America... Long time ago.

We live in a "global market" these days. It only makes PERFECT sense for major hand tool manufacturers to make tools in China... That's were the CARS are being made these days!! I mean, look how many "American" and other brands are now tool'd up and in full production in China. With well over 4 times America's population, they'll be a great market now that millions are driving cars.
You are absolutely correct, and it makes sense from a business perspective to outsource labor when you can still maintain quality control. I must say that I'm glad that they distinguished the blue point (chicom) and snap-on brands (although i've seen some small things like test-lights slipped in under the radar). Craftsman has been replacing their lines with more and more chinese made crapola (all i really buy is chisels/one time use stuff from craftsman, or a torx socket when my snap on one shatters). The only thing that makes me wary about Chinese tools (who cares where they're made, as long as they're the same, right?) is the inferior metal. I've blown apart craftsman chinese socket after chinese socket, and it sucks. Chinese metallurgy blows.. It's like the pot metal version of steel. I think I went through five of the 8mm deep 6pt sockets before I was able to finish a job on an Acura.. flat out waste of time. They were obviously poor quality steel, but hardened to the point where they wouldn't deform, just break in half
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Once they determine (at HQ) there's a real problem, and specifically, a real fix, Ford will issue a TSB or recall.
Actually Ford Customer Service has been no more helpful than the dealer. They also put a flag on the car so it can't be taken to another dealer for a second opinion.

Basically they are denying coverage based on assuming a CAI and a little rubber in the fenders means the car has been unmercifully abused.

Nevermind all the ads for the GT I've seen show it on track, doing burnouts, etc.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tell your buddy he has to fight tooth and nail. Print out 20 or so complaints (and their resolutions courtesy of Fomoco) and point out the exact issue. Dealership service writers LOVE to have a battle of wills with you, to save money. If you can find a TSB on the issue, even better. 1. ask nicely. 2. demand service 3. "suggest" legal action.. while in the meantime calling higher-ups from Ford.

I had toyota fight me tooth and nail after the second manual trans rebuild.. and guess what.. they rebuilt it 3 more times after that. A service writer's favorite phrase is, "We've never seen this happen before," followed by "This kind of problem only happens from abuse".. don't give in.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, perseverance is what is required in these cases. These stealerships like to think that they can BS you long enough that you'll walk away from frustration. DON'T. Get legal consul and let the dealer AND Ford CS know that they aren't going to get away with voiding the car's entire warranty over something that they can't even proved happen. In order to do what they are doing now....they have to PROVE that those two modifications caused whatever's wrong with the gearbox. They can't just say "oh, it's from owner abuse......your bad" and just sign off. It don't work that way anymore. They don't want that going to court, cuz they WILL lose.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Small town dealership near our hometown has already been getting wind of what's going on through the grapevine.

Someone there told a friend of mine to tell my brother to bring them the car. Now whether or not he is talking out of his *** or they may be thinking or repairing it and eating the cost to avoid to bad press/lost sales (VERY small town) I don't know. But it's the first sign of hope so far.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

All the nuthuggers were just sitting...waiting...skimming headlines of articles online just praying for some flaw in the new Mustang so you could say "See!!!! It has problems, too!!!". We're talking about a very small percentage of owners having this, and of course THOSE PEOPLE WITH THE PROBLEM will be THOSE PEOPLE DISCUSSING IT. Must suck to have to sit around and just wait for a flaw because your insecurity eats at you when you think of the 5.0 being a monster.
Let me go make a poster saying F-body's have to have every nut and bolt re-tightened every 5,000 miles with the reign of being the biggest rattle-traps on the road...sticky clutches, failing headlight assemblies, the list goes on. A newly released car is bound to have problems and I am sure Ford (in the future, tstruck I'm sorry to hear about your brother's car, that is SHITTY!) will take care of the problem.
Don't worry guys, the Mustang isn't going to fall out of production
Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

I am not a nuthugger waiting for a problem. If you would like I can link to when this issue first came up on the chevelle board...I went in defending the car and talking up how nice they are.

Then this week had to go back and apologize.

And Ford isn't taking care of ****. If they had, I wouldn't be out spreading the word on what's going on. I loved that car and I was really proud for my brother.

The term nuthugger is a 2 way street. I already had an account on SVTP I made to help him look for info on the car back when he got it so I posted in an existing thread about the issue there. I have basically been called a sneak and a liar.

If he had bought a new Camaro like he wanted and the same thing was going down I would be behaving the same way about GM, but as it is, Ford would rather tell him to **** off. I am almost wondering if it's because if they cover incidents like this the numbers for failure stack up higher...if they sweep him under the mat, the problem looks smaller and they can file a stack of **** transmissions in the "abnormal abuse related" pile so the "our Chinese junk" pile looks less menacing.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snake95
Let me go make a poster saying F-body's have to have every nut and bolt re-tightened every 5,000 miles with the reign of being the biggest rattle-traps on the road...sticky clutches, failing headlight assemblies,
Honestly none of that has ever happend to me.
and it sure beats having to replace a transmission multiple times.

Most of our complains are on how people are being treated at the Ford dealers.

Go back with the trolls and kids in the street kill section.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Just hire an attorney already. The problem will be taken care of, but not by a couple of folks no dealer in America needs to care about. Seriously... You guys have ZERO pull and that won't likely ever change. If ya want it taken care of, get a professional involved. You're clearly getting nowhere in your endeavor thus far. You'll need someone with tact and power in the legal field. Not covering this problem (as they seem to be) under the expressed warranty from FoMoCo is... ILLEGAL and they know it. Make them prove their case, or get off their case.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just hire an attorney already. The problem will be taken care of, but not by a couple of folks no dealer in America needs to care about. Seriously... You guys have ZERO pull and that won't likely ever change. If ya want it taken care of, get a professional involved. You're clearly getting nowhere in your endeavor thus far. You'll need someone with tact and power in the legal field. Not covering this problem (as they seem to be) under the expressed warranty from FoMoCo is... ILLEGAL and they know it. Make them prove their case, or get off their case.
dang it sucks that it has gotten to that point, legal fees suck
Old 04-22-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
dang it sucks that it has gotten to that point, legal fees suck
Yep... That was my initial point. Problem I see now is, feelings are hurt and tempers have flared... Might as well just step aside and allow the hagglers to do thier thing, hopefully avoiding criminal concerns on both sides as opposed to only one(the dealership). Plus, with a quick(or long, drawn out) win, the fees can be applied to the losing side in many states. Badmouthing won't help at this point.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
All the nuthuggers were just sitting...waiting...skimming headlines of articles online just praying for some flaw in the new Mustang so you could say "See!!!! It has problems, too!!!". We're talking about a very small percentage of owners having this, and of course THOSE PEOPLE WITH THE PROBLEM will be THOSE PEOPLE DISCUSSING IT. Must suck to have to sit around and just wait for a flaw because your insecurity eats at you when you think of the 5.0 being a monster.
You live quite the delusional life...
Let me go make a poster saying F-body's have to have every nut and bolt re-tightened every 5,000 miles with the reign of being the biggest rattle-traps on the road
Someone driving a pre '05 Mustang has absolutely no room to talk about low quality, and rattles. While neither the 4th gen nor the SN95 Mustangs were made of the highest quality materials, atleast the Fbodys performed well...

...sticky clutches, failing headlight assemblies, the list goes on.
Restrictive clutch hydraulics, an easy and relatively cheap fix (biggest problem really is owners not changing their fluid enough), and replacing a headlight gear for like $30 (or better yet making sure the headlight arm bumpers are in good shape). Thats totally comparable to a $2000+ transmission in a brand new car. Try again troll.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Most craftsman tools are still made in the USA. It is mainly the power tools that are not.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gm_back_on_top TSB on another issue with the clutch system on the Ford Mustang

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 04-22-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
Most craftsman tools are still made in the USA. It is mainly the power tools that are not.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gm_back_on_top TSB on another issue with the clutch system on the Ford Mustang
wrong link i think. is this it?

http://www.stangtv.com/news/tsb-issu...ifting-issues/
Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I am sorry actually this is the TSB. http://roadtesttv.wordpress.com/2010...-road-test-tv/

Quick Reply: Faulty Transmissions Plague 2011 Ford Mustang