Old 04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://youtu.be/f2_b4V6C4aM

of note
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

read some of the comments if you want a little lulz.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

That is pretty bad no doubt but luckily it seems to be a only isolated incidents.
I do like the car overall and would still buy one if in the market for a small family car.
I like the new Focus too.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Big deal. My steering wheel falls off all the time.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Problems like this always start off as an isolated incident. Its only after someone gets killed or it quickly rises above the confines of an isolated incident does the panic set in. This is the last thing I wanna see in a car maker especially an american car maker. I hope they get there *** in gear and get this resolved quickly.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At least they are looking into it and addressing it before countless people are injured or killed. I would laughably say if this was Toyota recall it would be handled differently.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the feeling someone lost their job over this one... some UAW worker sitting on his/her *** texting, with an impact laying on the ground, while another slaps the airbag on.. "Leroy, are those tight?" "Yeah, i think so.. " haha.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
I get the feeling someone lost their job over this one... some UAW worker sitting on his/her *** texting, with an impact laying on the ground, while another slaps the airbag on.. "Leroy, are those tight?" "Yeah, i think so.. " haha.

i doubt its an assembly line workers fault.

unless you know otherwise.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really though, what would even cause that? I mean, are they not bolting some of these wheels on properly??? There's no way that that happens from materials failure. Steering wheels don't just "pop" off while driving.....unless you want them to.......or they were never bolted on to begin with. Sounds like a QC issue to me....same as with the Getrags in the 5.0 GT's. Someone's being lax on their tolerance checks.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Really though, what would even cause that? I mean, are they not bolting some of these wheels on properly??? There's no way that that happens from materials failure. Steering wheels don't just "pop" off while driving.....unless you want them to.......or they were never bolted on to begin with. Sounds like a QC issue to me....same as with the Getrags in the 5.0 GT's. Someone's being lax on their tolerance checks.

according to that article a machine tightens the bolts. and thats where GM made a change.

most failures are design or manufacturing related over human error.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...ruze-cars.html

General Motors Corp. is recalling all of the 154,122 Chevrolet Cruzes made at its Lordstown plant over concerns that assembly line errors could lead to safety issues, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.
The automaker on Wednesday expanded a small recall over steering problems and launched a new one for a transmission problem that could cause Cruzes to slip out of gear while driving or parked. Both problems, the automaker said, are related to workers not correctly installing certain parts on the car, the paper reported.
A GM vice president said the company thinks “very few vehicles in the population” have either issue, but they're asking Cruze owners to call their dealers for an inspection. The timing for GM could be better – the Cruze was its most popular car last month and is rising near the top of the pack among compact cars, getting hot on the heels of the Marysville-made Honda Civic.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

theres been one complaint and no incidents from this steering problem. it could be worker or engineering related.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...dels-Recalled/
Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least they're preemptively fixing the vehicles before someone gets hurt/killed. They could have put the issue off or tried to bury it (like some manufacturers have done) but they're stepping out and checking ALL vehicles to make sure there's not a problem.

Maybe it looks like they have a quality problem, but I'd feel much better about buying a vehicle if there's known issues that have been fixed than a vehicle with rumors about issues that the automaker has ignored.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
At least they're preemptively fixing the vehicles before someone gets hurt/killed. They could have put the issue off or tried to bury it (like some manufacturers have done) but they're stepping out and checking ALL vehicles to make sure there's not a problem.

Maybe it looks like they have a quality problem, but I'd feel much better about buying a vehicle if there's known issues that have been fixed than a vehicle with rumors about issues that the automaker has ignored.
yes they are working quickly to get things resolved.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
according to that article a machine tightens the bolts. and thats where GM made a change.

most failures are design or manufacturing related over human error.
The article states that a machine normally puts the wheel on. However the incorrect wheel was put on and had to be replaced down line. The change to the machine was that only the "correct" wheel can be put on the car now, eliminating the chance for human error if a wheel needs changed down line. I bet the 2,100 recalled are cars that have had their steering wheels either taken off and or replaced by a person in the factory, or they were 2,100 cars that were supposedly inspected by a certain worker.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

regardless its possible human/manufacturing error and not what some are getting at.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Launching!

We've gotten about 20 so far at the dealership and none of us have noticed a bolt missing. So far so good!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by luigiandme
We've gotten about 20 so far at the dealership and none of us have noticed a bolt missing. So far so good!
That's great to hear. Hopefully this won't damage the reputation of the car. I see a bunch of them on the roads in the SE Michigan area and they are pretty decent looking cars for what they are. It would be nice if they came out with an SS version like the Cobalt SS.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
That's great to hear. Hopefully this won't damage the reputation of the car. I see a bunch of them on the roads in the SE Michigan area and they are pretty decent looking cars for what they are. It would be nice if they came out with an SS version like the Cobalt SS.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: chevy cruze recall