Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

c7 vette x2 turbo v8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skorpion317
From Wikipedia:

The ZR1 is definitely "very fast", and it definitely has "sporting handling to match". It's definitely "sleek and eye-catching". It may not be priced "in a rarefied atmosphere of it's own" in relation to far more expensive super cars, but compared to other Corvettes it's very expensive. Seems like the ZR1 covers all the "supercar" bases to me.
lol @ wikipedia as a source
Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
lol @ wikipedia as a source
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know Wikipedia wasn't good enough for you. How about Dictionary.com instead:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supercar

supercar (ˈsuːpəˌkɑː) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
a very expensive fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
The ZR1 is expensive, fast and powerful. The engine isn't mid-mounted, but it IS behind the front axle.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skorpion317
The engine isn't mid-mounted, but it IS behind the front axle.
True, it is almost a true front-mid engine design with a nearly 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Skorpion, when I stated that the motor in the C6R would be used, I am referring to the technologies that you mentioned, VVT etc. In all honesty we might see a 5.5L V8.

But as I said before in the foreseeable future of GM it is very likely that we have hit the peak of displacement for the LSx and wil likely see smaller V8s with FI. Making a smaller V8 with FI would actually allow the LS motors to make more power, reserve fuel economy and make them emissions friendly. Think C6 ZR1 vs C6 Z06, GM opted with a supercharged 6.2L instead of going with an N/A motor that would make that type of power.
Man i agree with you 100%. When the info started to come out about gm investing big dollers on the next generation small block V8, it was said the future Engines for there trucks and Hi performanc RW drive cars would be smaller Direct gas injection AL aluminum with different cylinder head, that they would be all New. As for mr. Skorpion ,a 5.5 can be possible. the LS7 was brought out for racing and now it is in production in the the Corvette so the same can happen in the devolpment of 5.5 5.3 or even a 5.7 for the C7 is possible. nod:

Last edited by theoldchevyman; 06-13-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
And what does this have to do with the 3L turbo engine?
Also, FYI, GM is spending more money making composite leaf springs rather than coil springs. Many [ignorant] people don't realize that things are done on the Corvette for a certain reason beyond price...
Wow... apparently you aren't paying attention either. I am talking about things that can be done to the C7 to make the Corvette a better overall car. I am well aware that the composite monoleaf rear suspension works very well. But I do think that (maybe on a higher-end model) a dedicated coilover setup would be a very viable addition, even if it were as an option.
Sometimes its best to ignore him, hes in his own little world.
What hes talking about is he thinks the Corvette should have the build quality and interior like an Audi R8 or Ferrari etc. Hes totally ignoring the fact that it would push it further out of everyones price range.
Hes one of the guys with those excuses you hear :"Corvette is faster all around" "Oh yeah, but car X has better interior".
You are absolutely out of your mind if you think there aren't people who would pay $150k for a Corvette with a fantastic interior. If performance was all anybody cared about, nobody would buy a new car. You're one of those guys that thinks the guy in the new 911 next to you gives two ***** if your Camaro/Firebird/Mustang/Corvette is faster than him.
Originally Posted by jimmy169
I think the problem with the corvette is it's just too bland. I love the car and it's capabilities, but I couldn't stand to picture myself in one. That style and shape seems to be perfected, but it's just so old. A supercharged ZR1 is badass but I have had a trans am and dsms and turbo cars before, there is something about turbo cars for me that is more exhilarating. Something about the way the power comes on is not so linear but feels good because of that. I think corvette needs a dramatic change. It's perfected what it is, which is awesome, but it gives this feeling of stagnation. The same thing gets old. If it offers different packages, not just a turbo package, which is what this new rumor suggests, I think it's the best of both worlds. Those that like the performance aspect, or just want a big v8 have that option, but those that want something they may find more exhilarating than a big blown v8, even if it was ultimately a little slower, will have that option too, something new and different to inject new life into the vette name. Just my humble opinion. Nothing against the tried and true, but I personally would love a turbo v8 and would gladly save for one over the tiptronic gtr. But if I had to choose between a gtr and z06 or zr1, I would choose the gtr. I love the sound and feel of turbo, and that may qualify me as a ricer to some for liking the sound but I'm sure a lot of people here love the sound of their v8's which would just be a hypocritical double standard.

Whats interesting to note is that you seem to have a collection of nice cars (from your sig. pic) which sort of makes you their target costumer. Personally, I share your opinion but I couldn't afford their next corvette, it would only be something I would start saving for if I was interested. I always wondered if those that seem like they could afford it are open to something different like this article suggests. I can only hope more people like you let GM know your interest in something like this.
Thanks, but the Corvette is my mom's. The S2000 was my (at the time) new car, and the Mustang was my old car. Just figured I would take a pic of them all together before I sold the Mustang.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theoldchevyman
Man i agree with you 100%. When the info started to come out about gm investing big dollers on the next generation small block V8, it was said the future Engines for there trucks and Hi performanc RW drive cars would be smaller Direct gas injection AL aluminum with different cylinder head, that they would be all New. As for mr. Skorpion ,a 5.5 can be possible. the LS7 was brought out for racing and now it is in production in the the Corvette so the same can happen in the devolpment of 5.5 5.3 or even a 5.7 for the C7 is possible. nod:
I think you're confusing the C5R engine and the LS7. They are not one and the same. The LS7 is a production street engine that was developed using some of the technology and lessons learned from the C5R racing program. Like I said before, the 5.5L in the C6R was created to conform to GT2 class rules - the maximum engine size allowed in GT2 is 5.5L. In GT1, where the Corvettes used to race, 7.0L was the maximum engine size, so that's why GM made the C5R engine 7.0L.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Wow... apparently you aren't paying attention either. I am talking about things that can be done to the C7 to make the Corvette a better overall car.
Alright, do tell then please.
I am well aware that the composite monoleaf rear suspension works very well. But I do think that (maybe on a higher-end model) a dedicated coilover setup would be a very viable addition, even if it were as an option.
the leafs are front and rear BTW...
Other than marketing, what would the coilover truly do for it?

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think there aren't people who would pay $150k for a Corvette with a fantastic interior.
The people who care that much about interior are the people who wouldn't buy a Corvette anyway because its "american" or "low tech" etc etc. They would find something new to bitch about. Or better yet, why don't they just buy the car, and then have caravaggio make them an interior?
If performance was all anybody cared about, nobody would buy a new car.
Some people like having a warranty, or a car that no one else has screwed up before them.

You're one of those guys that thinks the guy in the new 911 next to you gives two ***** if your Camaro/Firebird/Mustang/Corvette is faster than him.
No Im one of those guys that laugh at the 911 next to me because the owner has such a difficult time driving with his nose stuck so far up in the air. Believe it or not some people like a crude, violent car thats not refined... I dont want a 911, while I like and respect such cars they don't appeal to me any near as much as a torquey RWD V8 car.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

The people who care that much about interior are the people who wouldn't buy a Corvette anyway because its "american" or "low tech" etc etc. They would find something new to bitch about. Or better yet, why don't they just buy the car, and then have caravaggio make them an interior?
Agreed...Caravaggio and even Apsis have some amazing interior upgrades for Corvettes.

No Im one of those guys that laugh at the 911 next to me because the owner has such a difficult time driving with his nose stuck so far up in the air. Believe it or not some people like a crude, violent car thats not refined... I dont want a 911, while I like and respect such cars they don't appeal to me any near as much as a torquey RWD V8 car.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:57 PM
***Repost Police***

Other than marketing, what would the coilover truly do for it?

Some people like having a warranty, or a car that no one else has screwed up before them.

1) Ask the guys that do coilover upgrades to their C5/C6 Corvettes... I've seen several on this forum.

2) What you seem to not understand about you preferring the Corvette, is that I am JUST FINE with that. To be honest, I'd probably take a Z06 or ZR1 over something like a GT-R because I like shifting my own gears. But to say that the Corvette is at all levels/trims better than or equal to every single competitor is absolutely ridiculous. Which means that there are some things that a Corvette doesn't have or doesn't do for them. Which is also JUST FINE. But yet you seem to take offense every time I bring up the fact that the Corvette isn't the perfect car for everybody that wants a sports car, and you imply that there is no tangible reason that anyone would buy any other sports car besides the Corvette.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 06-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
1) Ask the guys that do coilover upgrades to their C5/C6 Corvettes... I've seen several on this forum.
So the guys that want to change spring rate/shock rate, or want adjust ability? Ok so I ask again, what advantage would this do for a production Corvette seeing they will already have a set high, spring rate, and shock rate? (assuming that we are not talking about using adjustable coilovers on the production car, because that isn't talking about actual coilover vs leaf, but rather adjustable vs non...)
FAR too many overlook the glaring fact that they are usually dramatically upping the spring rate, and using significantly better shocks than the stock ones when going with a coil over kit for a vette. The difference felt is the spring rate and shock change, not the coil vs leaf change...

2) What you seem to not understand about you preferring the Corvette, is that I am JUST FINE with that.
If you were just fine with that you wouldn't have to constantly be like "well, thats ok but this could be improved", or "this is not good enough".

But to say that the Corvette is at all levels/trims better than or equal to every single competitor is absolutely ridiculous.
Im pretty sure no one is saying, let alone even implying that the Corvette is best at everything, no car is best at everything. The corvette atleast imo has far more advantages than disadvantages compared to its competitors though.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

no car is best at everything.
............. ^ this ^
Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 PM
***Repost Police***

If you were just fine with that you wouldn't have to constantly be like "well, thats ok but this could be improved", or "this is not good enough".

Im pretty sure no one is saying, let alone even implying that the Corvette is best at everything, no car is best at everything. The corvette atleast imo has far more advantages than disadvantages compared to its competitors though.
Why do you take offense when I point out the Corvette's shortcomings? It is a great car... "FOR THE MONEY." But when people talk about cars like the GT-R, the Gallardo, the F430, etc., people (you included) are always so quick to pop in and talk about how the Corvette is faster than this/that/whatever. Awesome. But there are still reasons that people buy other cars. As so many other people besides me have said, there is more to a car (even a super car) than performance. Look back on some of your previous posts, and see if you don't catch just a bit of the "Corvette is the best at everything" vibe.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

I was just wondering, but does anyone think a stock turbo vette will have a lot more potential than the z06 and zr1? Turbo cars have their issues from all I have been through, but I think vette's and camaro's and trans am ls1's were some of the most reliable cars on the market. I wonder if it's because they have been all motor mostly. If a turbo vette was built and as reliable as the rest of em, what do you think of the modding potential for example just getting a better tune. Turbo's have always responded extremely well to modding imo, I mean really minimal mods extracting a lot more power out of the stock turbo's. It's just the reliability I'd be concerned about, but my Trans Am was the most reliable car I have ever owned for a performance car, granted it was non-turbo.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimmy169
I was just wondering, but does anyone think a stock turbo vette will have a lot more potential than the z06 and zr1? Turbo cars have their issues from all I have been through, but I think vette's and camaro's and trans am ls1's were some of the most reliable cars on the market. I wonder if it's because they have been all motor mostly. If a turbo vette was built and as reliable as the rest of em, what do you think of the modding potential for example just getting a better tune. Turbo's have always responded extremely well to modding imo, I mean really minimal mods extracting a lot more power out of the stock turbo's. It's just the reliability I'd be concerned about, but my Trans Am was the most reliable car I have ever owned for a performance car, granted it was non-turbo.
Agreed. Turbo cars typically respond very well to minor upgrades and yes, my Z28 LS1 and C6 have both been impeccably, almost insanely, reliable/dependable for many years now.

Quick Reply: c7 vette x2 turbo v8?