Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro zl1 will now have an automatic transmission also :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good point.
Though I have (so far LOL) in fact run high 10s on a stock 6L80, with a converter and trans cooler of course.
If you plan on going fast with a GM vehicle that's equipped with an auto trans, this should always be your first mod. Whether we're talking a $2k w-body or a $50k vette.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPM seems to rag on the 6l80e trans a lot when there seems to be other shops that have them hanging together in some pretty wicked cars. I own a 6 speed vette, and a g8 with the 6l80e. Properly tuned damn near anyone is gonna find it impossible to shift like a 6l80e. Plain and simple RPM doesnt seem to know how to get them to live therefore its gotta be junk. Pretty arrogant attitude to have guys.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rennocneb
RPM seems to rag on the 6l80e trans a lot when there seems to be other shops that have them hanging together in some pretty wicked cars. I own a 6 speed vette, and a g8 with the 6l80e. Properly tuned damn near anyone is gonna find it impossible to shift like a 6l80e. Plain and simple RPM doesnt seem to know how to get them to live therefore its gotta be junk. Pretty arrogant attitude to have guys.
We "rag" on them hard because we get a lot more behind the scenes info than the average person. Dive into GM drivetrain head first like we have and take a good hard look at the 6L80e and you might change your opinion.

You are right. We can't make them last behind the horse power our customers want to make. Show me an 800+rwhp 6L80/90e that hasn't had any problems. In cars like your C6 and G8 as moderate power levels they do last. We have built more 6L80e transmissions under the radar than possibly anyone. In fact I am fairly certain that we have one of THE fastest 6L80e transmissions in the world. It is in a 4200lb+ 2010 Camaro that was tuned by L PE and came in 2nd at the LSX shootout in St. Louis last October only behind LPEs other 2010 Camaro race cars with one of our TR6060 transmissions in it.

We aren't here to be arrogant. We are honest. We don't tell our customers BS stories that our transmissions will do more than they are capable of. We want your cars to perform well *AND* last. Anyone can dump a trans in a car and throw it down the track a few times for a magazine shoot. We want our customers transmissions to last more than a few runs down the drag strip.

The most common problems that are showing up are the 06/07 LS2 Corvette. Theses are the oldest 6L80e transmissions on the road and are most apt to be modded. GM is on its 3rd revision of the 6L80e transmission. We have been involved in these transmissions since 2007. We whole hartedly embraced them and worked with MANY aftermarket companies providing parts to them for R&D. I think we have earned the right to rag on them a little.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Show me an 800+rwhp 6L80/90e that hasn't had any problems.
In all fairness, I think any OD auto is going to need regular freshening (at least) at that power level. Even a well built TH400 isn't going to last 100k miles at 800rwhp.

Honestly, if you have customers that expect you to build a 6L80 to hold that kind of power, and to have stock-like longevity (say, 100k+ miles), then I think these customers have unrealistic expectations. This is not your fault, but rather theirs.

How are the A6s doing in the CTS-V? I haven't really been following them. If it works there, then I'm sure GM can get it to hold together for a ~550hp Camaro as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

well ive spoke to you guys at RPM about building a trans for my G8 and you didnt seem the least bit interested, which sucks since your about 2 hours away from me. Im not saying that a 6l80e is the right trans in a 3000lb f body making 950whp on spray. Hell a 4l80e is gonna be living on borrowed time on slicks etc. i do know the century transmission in texas has a c6 running 9's on a 6l80e and its got well over 150 passes on the trans and its street driven as well. I have personally spoken to the owner of this vette about helping me with the trans tune for my G8 which is having a 434ci ERL stroker put in it in about 2 week. I by no means want to say that RPM doesnt know their stuff, it just seems that you all have totally ignored the 6l80e market. Face it the 4l80e is gone and the 6l80e is what we have for the future. The only way they get stronger is through continued devolpment.

I truly wish you all were interested in 6l80e work id probably be a customer, but when i called, i was basically told you guys didnt want to waste your time on a 6l80e and wanted to do a 4l80e sway into my car. well awesome but that swap was a bit more than steep. not to mention on the street i think a properly tuned 6 speed will probably behave nicer, ive owned both the 4l80e is a beast and a weapon at the track in the right combo but on the street the 6 speeds are nice.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
94FBIRD Hope on corvetteforum.com sometime and take a look at the pages of 6L80e transmission problems over there.
Umm...okay. I often prowl that forum, but most of the guys having problems have added significant HP and then the trans breaks. What did they expect? GM designs the trans for stock HP and nothing more for 100K miles.

You're original post was that the 6L90E would not live behind the ZL1 at the same HP the CTS-V produces in a presumably slightly heavier car.

I'm just wondering if stock CTS-Vs are blowing their 6L90Es regularly?

You're last post is about high HP cars far exceeding the capabilities of the stock trans. It really is irrelevant to this post.

Last edited by 94FBIRD; 06-23-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Add the last line.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT1UHrdF34k
Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

Quick Reply: Camaro zl1 will now have an automatic transmission also :)