Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Adam Carolla, Dan Neil, Speed Creating Original American Auto Review Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adam Carolla, Dan Neil, Speed Creating Original American Auto Review Show

Speed Channel is revving up an auto-centric pilot set to star comedian and car buff Adam Carolla with auto critic Dan Neil

By: Michael Schneider
Published: Mon, December 13, 2010, 9:08 AM

Carolla will star along with Pulitzer Prize-winning Wall Street Journal auto writer Dan Neil, ex-NBA star John Salley and Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire website.

Carolla has been eager to do an auto-based TV show for some time. He previously hosted NBC’s attempt to adapt the U.K. hit “Top Gear,” but that version never made it to air. He’s not involved in the “Top Gear” that just recently launched on the History channel.

The untitled show has been described as a cross between “Top Gear” and Fox Sports Net’s “The Best Damn Sports Show” franchise, which featured Salley was a regular. According to the pitch, the show will feature news and conversation centered around cars, as well as pre-recorded features shot on the road.

Carolla, whose podcast frequently rates among the most-downloaded on the web, has been behind series such as “The Man Show,” “Crank Yankers” and “Too Late with Adam Carolla.”

As for the other Mandt. Bros. project, “Ice Brigade” centers on the daily work at Ice Sculptures Ltd., a high-end ice sculpting business based in Grand Rapids, Mich. Food Network has ordered six episodes of the series, which was initially developed as a one-time special.

Neil and Michael Mandt, who head up Mandt Bros., are behind the independently produced Showtime laffer “Next Stop for Charlie” – which was picked up by the cabler for 10 episodes. The series is based on their 2006 feature “Last Stop for Paul.”

The Mandt Bros. also exec produce ESPN’s “Jim Rome is Burning” and the Jeff Dye-hosted web series “It Happened for Real.” At Syfy, the Mandt Bros. created “Destination Truth.”

www.variety.com
Old 12-13-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

I like Adam Corolla for a show like this much better than those "other" two guys on the American Top Gear. It should have been Faust, Corolla, and someone like Matt Farah (smoking tire reviews) All are pretty knowledgeable about all things automotive, and 2 are actually quite funny.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a big Corolla fan. Guess he's still pissed he got cut off of Top Gear. They should call it "Fifth Gear."
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Adam comments on Top Gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Q5P...layer_embedded

This certainly has potential.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Did the Top Gear show/shows he was in ever make it to the web? I'd like to watch just to see how it would have compared to the steaming pile of crap we have now.

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
I like Adam Corolla for a show like this much better than those "other" two guys on the American Top Gear. It should have been Faust, Corolla, and someone like Matt Farah (smoking tire reviews) All are pretty knowledgeable about all things automotive, and 2 are actually quite funny.
Agreed, other than Foust. He is fun to watch when he's driving, but I can't stand listening to the guy. I'm sure this is going to beat out the US Top Gear(not saying much), but by how much is the question.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Ironically, when I first heard about/watched the 'new' Top Gear with Adam Ferrara I immediately thought about comedian/car guy Adam Carolla.
I draw some connections between the two of them because they're both friends with (and have worked with) my good friend comic/writer Jeffrey Ross (of the Comedy Central Roasts and other things). He and I went to high school together and were roomates for a while in the mid '90s.
While I've never met Adam Carolla, Adam Ferrara actually met up with Jeff and I for breakfast once in New York City like 10 years ago.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gocartone
Did the Top Gear show/shows he was in ever make it to the web? I'd like to watch just to see how it would have compared to the steaming pile of crap we have now.
No, they taped a pilot before NBC dropped the project but it has never gotten out. Apparently Adam's contracts prevented him from hosting the show when History picked it up.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think Oprah would do better hosting American Top Gear than the "other two" on that show (excluding Foust)
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Jalopnik says it's official this morning,

Adam Carolla, Dan Neil, John Salley and Matt Farrah's TV show has been picked up by the octane-obsessed network for a 13 episode run starting in July.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Let's just hope they can make it both entertaining and informative. I have my doubts, but it shouldn't be TOO difficult.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Top Gear USA was and is hugely disappointing to me. There is just no chemistry between the three like Clarkson, Hammond, and May have.
I like Adam Carolla but I hope his TV skills have improved since the Man Show. He is very good on radio.
I do remember a caller on loveline stating that he had a old camaro project car and Carolla asked what year. The caller replied 1965. Nothing....
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Pilot

Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Very nice, Adam will be great, he'll be able to go head to head with Clarkson. I love Top Gear, maybe my favorite show but they do go out of their way to make fun of America.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z1T6...layer_embedded
Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Launching!

I think this will work WAY WAY better than the US Top Gear, i'm not even sure how the "other two" were selected to be on the show Tanner as unentertaining he was it at lease made since in some sort of way to be on their, he is a race driver and knows his stuff alittle.

I definitely think this will work b/c they've gotta comedian that likes to talk crap, they've gotta The Smoking Tire guy which I like alot b/c he has enthusiasm and shows his love of car though his corvette a lot which I appreciate a lot. This just has way better formula to do better than the US Top Gear imo

Quick Reply: Adam Carolla, Dan Neil, Speed Creating Original American Auto Review Show