Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

least reliable vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Styling is subjective... personally, I like the Accord coupe. 271hp and a 6spd manual is ok with me as well. As far as the automatics go, as far as I know they fixed the problem. My sister had a '99 TL several years ago, and the tranny took a poop at about 97k miles. But they replaced it for free because it was under 100k.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Styling is subjective... personally, I like the Accord coupe. 271hp and a 6spd manual is ok with me as well. As far as the automatics go, as far as I know they fixed the problem. My sister had a '99 TL several years ago, and the tranny took a poop at about 97k miles. But they replaced it for free because it was under 100k.
The coupe is definitely good looking, and the sedan is ok, but I really hate that they put the door handles on upside down.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by justin455
The coupe is definitely good looking, and the sedan is ok, but I really hate that they put the door handles on upside down.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not really. You, me, Detroit, and everybody else with a brain knows that American cars really just caught up with the best of the foreign brands a couple/few years ago. And IMO, it takes more than 2-3 years to tell how "reliabile" a car is. So as far as new cars are concerned, the jury is still out. But when it comes to cars in the past ~20 years, I would say anybody who wants to argue that the cars made my Honda and Toyota weren't of tangibly better quality and better reliability is "full of crap."
It depends... I rather purchase american vehicles to support our economy instead of supporting china and japans economy.

My silverado is going on 11 years old with 190K miles on it. All i've done to it is normal maintainence and it keeps on going.

I see well taken care of honda's with 150K miles on them and I've seen well taken care of cadillacs with 150K miles on them. I just refuse to pay the "Honda is better" price for a honda civic with 200K miles on it and they want 7-9 grand for it.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
While it might be difficult to believe, I have heard of other cases similar (160k+ miles, 230k miles) to that as well.
I would never wait that long to do a trans service but they say once you hit a certain mileage without ever having done it that it's probably best to just leave it and keep going.
I've seen it happen before several times...owner never services the transmission, then either they decide to or the trans shows the first signs of issues and they do and the new slicker fluid helps the transmission to start slipping and finish itself off.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon5212
It depends... I rather purchase american vehicles to support our economy instead of supporting china and japans economy.

My silverado is going on 11 years old with 190K miles on it. All i've done to it is normal maintainence and it keeps on going.

I see well taken care of honda's with 150K miles on them and I've seen well taken care of cadillacs with 150K miles on them. I just refuse to pay the "Honda is better" price for a honda civic with 200K miles on it and they want 7-9 grand for it.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

this^^^

mine it's going on ten years with 312k miles. only problem it's ever had was injectors at 260k (which was well before i bought it). i'm still putting 900-1200 miles a week on it too
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's a little thing, but it bugs me everytime I see one. My eye is just drawn to it.

Sorry for huge pic.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
***Repost Police***

GM trucks have always been very solid. Even when the interiors were crap . The Big 3 have control over the 1/2 ton market, and I don't really see that changing. And I won't go too in-depth with this argument, but I would wager that giving money to employees who work at a Honda plant in Ohio is just as good for our economy as giving it to GM execs when the vehicles are made in Canada or Mexico. I think people should buy the car that fits their needs/wants best, regardless of where it is made.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Problem is if you buy a Honda or Hyundai you are not supporting the american economy... where do you think the headquarters of those companies are... Japan/china. The money goes straight there.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 PM
***Repost Police***

^^^ Problem is if you buy a Honda or Hyundai you are not supporting the american economy... where do you think the headquarters of those companies are... Japan/china. The money goes straight there.
Money has to be paid to the person that sold the car, the people that work on the cars at the dealerships, the people who transport the cars to the dealerships, the people that build the cars, the people who build the factories, and the massive amounts of utilities/taxes that these corporations pay. Not to mention the fact that Honda/Toyota/Hyundai/Mercedes/etc. of North America are all almost completely separate companies from their overseas counterparts, and have their own infrastructures in this country that employ thousands of people. If you don't think that a very large amount of money stays in this country, I don't know what to tell you. As much as buying a Ford/Chevrolet? Maybe not. But I wouldn't feel bad putting money in the hands of the 15,000+ workers at Honda's Marysville, Ohio factory vs. a Ford or GM CEO. Assuming I was ever to buy a new Honda, of course.

Edit: Also, Hyundai is based in South Korea. Not China.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 08-31-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Launching!

GM trucks have always been very solid. Even when the interiors were crap . The Big 3 have control over the 1/2 ton market, and I don't really see that changing. And I won't go too in-depth with this argument, but I would wager that giving money to employees who work at a Honda plant in Ohio is just as good for our economy as giving it to GM execs when the vehicles are made in Canada or Mexico. I think people should buy the car that fits their needs/wants best, regardless of where it is made.
Where do you think the real profits end up when you buy a foreign car?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Money has to be paid to the person that sold the car, the people that work on the cars at the dealerships, the people who transport the cars to the dealerships, the people that build the cars, the people who build the factories, and the massive amounts of utilities/taxes that these corporations pay. Not to mention the fact that Honda/Toyota/Hyundai/Mercedes/etc. of North America are all almost completely separate companies from their overseas counterparts, and have their own infrastructures in this country that employ thousands of people. If you don't think that a very large amount of money stays in this country, I don't know what to tell you. As much as buying a Ford/Chevrolet? Maybe not. But I wouldn't feel bad putting money in the hands of the 15,000+ workers at Honda's Marysville, Ohio factory vs. a Ford or GM CEO. Assuming I was ever to buy a new Honda, of course.

Edit: Also, Hyundai is based in South Korea. Not China.
So...why did the USA have to bail out the American Auto companies? Why did Japan have to help/bail out their own company's?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM
***Repost Police***

You answered your own question. The same reason that Australia did not bail out Holden and England didn't bail out Vauxhall
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Launching!

You answered your own question. The same reason that Australia did not bail out Holden and England didn't bail out Vauxhall
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Not sure what you are having trouble with...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ The problem is you aren't understanding that Hyundai/Honda all of those companies... their headquarters are NOT in the USA. The money in the end, ends up overseas plain and simple.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Not really. You, me, Detroit, and everybody else with a brain knows that American cars really just caught up with the best of the foreign brands a couple/few years ago. And IMO, it takes more than 2-3 years to tell how "reliabile" a car is. So as far as new cars are concerned, the jury is still out. But when it comes to cars in the past ~20 years, I would say anybody who wants to argue that the cars made my Honda and Toyota weren't of tangibly better quality and better reliability is "full of crap."
I don't know of any american car known for transmission failure at 70k miles like the 04ish Honda Civic autos are. My Uncle was a sworn Toyota man and didn't have any major issues with his Corolla's he always got, then he got a Civic 4 door auto in that sweet dark green metallic, and right about 70k the trans died. Happens to tons of people, very common on that car.

To say a whole brand is more reliable than another whole brand is a stupid statement.

Specific model (i.e. Focus vs. Civic) is more accurate, but even then, as mentioned in the thread earlier, it's more reflective of people's maintenance records and driving habits than anything. From what I've seen unless it's a performance car, foreign car owners tend to take better care of their vehicles.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Jon, I understand that just fine. What you don't seem to understand is how much of the money stays here.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
***Repost Police***

And Muscle, look no further than the 96+ Taurus.

Quick Reply: least reliable vehicles