Default least reliable vehicles

http://www.automotive.com/worst-cars...reliable-cars/

cruze is a surprise.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Nissan is dominating that list.

And a Toyota is the least reliable car?
So much for my friend insisting the Tundra is better than the Silverado because it's a Toyota.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These lists are always pretty useless. There's really only about 4 completely different automobiles there and all but the Cruze are platforms that have been in use for years now.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't understand why the Cruz is on that list... Someone must of payed them off. Haha but I was surprised to see the Toyota Prius wasn't on it???
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks to me like it's based on recall count, which is stupid. The cruze is new with teething problems it shouldn't be on that list. Reliability isn't based on recall count either.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im convinced that any car regardless of how great people say it is, is on a case-by-case basis. Everyone told me the ls1 was great and mine exploded starting the damn car...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it just me or does this kind of thing make it less desirable for companies to man-up and offer recalls for their mistakes?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly, # of recalls means jack ****.

It's the ones that have problems that don't get fixed that are the real problems.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think reliability also has a role to play with the owner of the vehicle. Half of people beat their cars into the ground and don't take care of them at all... of course they are going to break.

All the people with "hondas and toyotas" are so reliable is full of crap. Most modern american cars if taken care of last the same amount of time.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah people don't do maintenance to anything now days yet expect them to never break. I maintain my stuff well and low and behold thy don't leave me stranded. I think basing reliability on recalls is retarded especially on a new model car. As for Tainted saying his LS wasn't reliable, mine was modded from 80-115k(when I sold it) and I ran it plenty hard and it never had even one hiccup so it definatly is a car to car basis
Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I think reliability also has a role to play with the owner of the vehicle. Half of people beat their cars into the ground and don't take care of them at all... of course they are going to break.

All the people with "hondas and toyotas" are so reliable is full of crap. Most modern american cars if taken care of last the same amount of time.
Not really. You, me, Detroit, and everybody else with a brain knows that American cars really just caught up with the best of the foreign brands a couple/few years ago. And IMO, it takes more than 2-3 years to tell how "reliabile" a car is. So as far as new cars are concerned, the jury is still out. But when it comes to cars in the past ~20 years, I would say anybody who wants to argue that the cars made my Honda and Toyota weren't of tangibly better quality and better reliability is "full of crap."
Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Kinda of upset me that my 2010 Xterra SE made the list at #2. My only complaint is suspension sucks worse than my 2009 Jeep 4DR and the gas sucks. But I love the truck chasis so overlook the suspension and work pays my gas. Other than that 0 problems. It would be nice if they told what the recalls were as Im too lazy to look them up.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Kind of surprised to see the FJ on there.

My Dad bought one new back in '08 and it gets the crap beat out of it daily, I actually feel really bad for it. Has 70k miles on it and since he's owned it, it's been driven through heavy stop and go traffic 5 days a week, been through all types of extreme weather conditions, etc., etc., all the harshest driving you could imagine it's endured. Has been completely trouble free other than your normal required maintenance, not one issue with it whatsoever. Very impressive truck. No idea how it made that list.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Wow, Nissan is dominating that list.

And a Toyota is the least reliable car?
So much for my friend insisting the Tundra is better than the Silverado because it's a Toyota.

Originally Posted by Tainted
im convinced that any car regardless of how great people say it is, is on a case-by-case basis.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a thought....Ex-sti owner here, it's pretty common knowledge that 100k on one of those cars (engine) is pretty high. Now is that because:

A. The engines are stressed from the factory (Boosted 2.5L making 260 whp)
B. People almost always beat on them
C. People almost always modify them

Probably all three, but I just never hear them considered unreliable....though they sort of are.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Not really. You, me, Detroit, and everybody else with a brain knows that American cars really just caught up with the best of the foreign brands a couple/few years ago. And IMO, it takes more than 2-3 years to tell how "reliabile" a car is. So as far as new cars are concerned, the jury is still out. But when it comes to cars in the past ~20 years, I would say anybody who wants to argue that the cars made my Honda and Toyota weren't of tangibly better quality and better reliability is "full of crap."
I've got 215K miles on my 11 year old American made sedan. In all those miles, I've made but TWO repairs. A blower motor resistor at 85K, and a fuel pump at 140K that failed due to cavitation. Untouched engine, transmission (still original fluid), all original steering and suspension, etc. Just basic maintenance - gas, oil, tires, brakes. No expensive timing belt replacement with preventative water pump replacement like you would find on a poorly engineered Japanese car. Driven 100+ miles per day and drives just as nice as it did a decade ago.

It's all in how you take care of the cars.

And this list is worthless. Although I do agree that Nissan is one of the top 3 biggest pieces of **** manufacturers.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I've got 215K miles on my 11 year old American made sedan. In all those miles, I've made but TWO repairs. A blower motor resistor at 85K, and a fuel pump at 140K that failed due to cavitation. Untouched engine, transmission (still original fluid), all original steering and suspension, etc. Just basic maintenance - gas, oil, tires, brakes. No expensive timing belt replacement with preventative water pump replacement like you would find on a poorly engineered Japanese car. Driven 100+ miles per day and drives just as nice as it did a decade ago.

And this list is worthless. Although I do agree that Nissan is one of the top 3 biggest pieces of **** manufacturers.
You have never serviced your transmission? Still has the original tranny fluid? That is really hard to believe at 215k miles.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by proporio
You have never serviced your transmission? Still has the original tranny fluid? That is really hard to believe at 215k miles.
While it might be difficult to believe, I have heard of other cases similar (160k+ miles, 230k miles) to that as well.
I would never wait that long to do a trans service but they say once you hit a certain mileage without ever having done it that it's probably best to just leave it and keep going.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28

Never said that there were no reliable American cars made from 1980-2000. Just that the reputation that Honda and Toyota have/had for making reliable cars was earned.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO Honda has been putting out utter garbage the past 3-4 years in terms of styling. Plus I think the interiors feel cheaper than those made in the 90's/early 2000's. They've also been getting an undeserved free pass for POS automatic transmissions on any v6 model they've ever made. Don't know if they've fixed the problem, but their v6 auto trannies are notorious for crapping out well before or right around 100k miles.

Quick Reply: least reliable vehicles