Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

least reliable vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I think reliability also has a role to play with the owner of the vehicle. Half of people beat their cars into the ground and don't take care of them at all... of course they are going to break.

All the people with "hondas and toyotas" are so reliable is full of crap. Most modern american cars if taken care of last the same amount of time.
Yeah, like 4th gens and rear ends! Wait, see what I did there? For most of the 80's and 90's american cars in general were not as good as a lot of imports. Not saying there weren't examples to the contrary but in general. I refuse to believe a 95 neon is as good a car as a 95 civic. Not gonna buy it. And your statement seems to imply that only American car owners beat on their cars and not take care of them then?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
I don't know of any american car known for transmission failure at 70k miles like the 04ish Honda Civic autos are. My Uncle was a sworn Toyota man and didn't have any major issues with his Corolla's he always got, then he got a Civic 4 door auto in that sweet dark green metallic, and right about 70k the trans died. Happens to tons of people, very common on that car.

To say a whole brand is more reliable than another whole brand is a stupid statement.

Specific model (i.e. Focus vs. Civic) is more accurate, but even then, as mentioned in the thread earlier, it's more reflective of people's maintenance records and driving habits than anything. From what I've seen unless it's a performance car, foreign car owners tend to take better care of their vehicles.

Actually, I have seen more than a few 1980's to early 90's C/K series trucks and full size SUV's have their trans rebuild at or near 100k.
Elevens is right on with the 96 and up Taurus/Sable twins. I saw one with a few as 56k on it with a fried transmission and several others with less than 100k.
Mopar minivans are a poster child for shitty transmissions in american cars.

Last edited by Darksol; 09-03-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

toyota engine sludge

• Camry 4 cylinder from 1997-2001,
• Camry 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,
• Camry Solara 4 cylinder from 1999-2001,
• Camry Solara 6 cylinder 1999-2002,
• Sienna 6 cylinder from 1998-2002,
• Avalon 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,
• Celica 4 cylinder from 1997-1999,
• Highlander 6 cylinder from 2001-2002,
• Lexus ES 300 from 1997-2002 and
• Lexus RX 300 from 1999-2002.

http://www.google.com/search?q=toyot...ient=firefox-a
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM
***Repost Police***

GM optispark, Ford cracking head gaskets, etc. I loved my mom's old '94 Corvette, but the water pump, optispark, and transmission all failed within six months of each other. The 80s and 90s just wasn't the best time for American cars. There is a reason all the commercials now are talking about how good they are NOW and comparing themselves to Honda and Toyota.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darksol
Actually, I have seen more than a few 1980's to early 90's C/K series trucks and full size SUV's have their trans rebuild at or near 100k.
Elevens is right on with the 96 and up Taurus/Sable twins. I saw one with a few as 56k on it with a fried transmission and several others with less than 100k.
Mopar minivans are a poster child for shitty transmissions in american cars.
To be fair it was generally only the OHV 3.0 Taurus/Sables that had tranny problems. The duratec ones seem to run like tops.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
GM optispark, Ford cracking head gaskets, etc. I loved my mom's old '94 Corvette, but the water pump, optispark, and transmission all failed within six months of each other. The 80s and 90s just wasn't the best time for American cars. There is a reason all the commercials now are talking about how good they are NOW and comparing themselves to Honda and Toyota.
This is true, but when you spend so much time on top of the world you start to slack. Now the import brands haven't really improved in quality much, deteriorating in some instances, as far as I've seen.

All cars have their faults, and as a competent consumer its our job to research such a big purchase and avoid automobiles with glaring, potentially expensive faults. Automaker preference is one thing, but some of you guys take brand loyalty to a whole other, ignorant, level.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 PM
***Repost Police***

I will assume the brand loyalty comment was not directed at me. And yes, import quality and reliability has leveled off. Like you said, that happens when you are on top.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I will assume the brand loyalty comment was not directed at me. And yes, import quality and reliability has leveled off. Like you said, that happens when you are on top.
Nah, not directly. The bickering, over the last page, by listing shitty vehicles on both sides is kind of pointless, but at least they have all been legitimately shitty vehicles for the most part.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM
***Repost Police***

It's definitely not a shot at GM, just keeping things in perspective

Quick Reply: least reliable vehicles