Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default viper acr beats new LFA & ZR1 'Ring lap time

sweet. http://jalopnik.com/5840489/dodge-vi...nd-some-change
Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Saw a new Viper ACR at a local show and shine a couple of weeks ago. As it goes rolling by some old dude says "It would be better if they took the ricer wing off"....Seriously.....
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car so fast you aren't gonna see the wing anyways.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

These nurburgring records last shorter and shorter.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

LMAO wow that didn't take long! Take that **** Lexus!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHAHA so glad to see this & put all the LFA **** talkers to rest..... No vid though?? They also said the Dodge Viper ACR-X got 7:03 I wonder what a ZR1 "track edition" would get or even the C6R?!?!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Nice.

And then there is the 'X' model:

"Oh, and also, the SRT folks brought along a Dodge Viper ACR-X, which tore up the track with a stunning 7:03..and change."
Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Quoth the Viper Club:

Will those guys at Generous Motors ever learn? When you play with a snake…. you eventually get bit.

They are trying to hide the news at the Corvette Forums, but like the horsepower in their supercharged small block… it’s too much to handle.

The word is out , let the crying and the excuses begin.

There’s no “official” word yet about it, but it appears that a new-old-stock 2010 Viper ACR, pulled off the floor at Tomball Dodge, has run a 7:12 “and change”.

It is so nice to be proven right. In my article about GM’s decision to return to the Ring for more publicity, I wrote,

Is the ACR still faster around the ‘Ring on equal tires? Almost certainly.

I made that statement based on my time driving Corvettes and Vipers and from observing the various ‘Ring videos. Needless to say, I was tried in absentia and sentenced to death by various forum fanboys around the globe. Sorry, kids!

According to various sources around the Internet, the SRT team took two ACRs from the showroom floor of Texas dealership Tomball Dodge and ran 7:12. This puts them ahead of the GT-R, the GT2, the ZR1, and the LF-A. To do it, they had to find ten seconds on a seven-minute track, which is about like finding two seconds at Mid-Ohio: difficult, but not impossible. And Chevrolet had already shown them how to do it: put in some more laps and swap out the tires.

The tire-swapping bit, by the way, is my personal conjecture. I don’t know that they put new tires on. I strongly doubt that they left the 2009-vintage stockers on. Tires degenerate as they are exposed to ozone.

What’s more important than the specific tire composition are these two facts:

•The Viper ACR is the finest vehicle ever built. I believe this in my soul. The only reason I don’t have one: it’s capable of eating $2000 a day worth of tires on the racetrack, whereas my Boxster can humiliate trackday heroes all year for one set of $500 used Hoosiers.

•‘Ring times are like any other laptimes in the world: subject to weather, chance, and the constant grinding effort of development work. Doesn’t matter if you start with a “stock” car. You can adjust camber, you can crank the toe in back until you either set a record or kill your driver, you can mess around with tire temps, you can use your datalogger to stitch together an “ideal lap” and then go run that lap. Period. No magic. No special significance. It’s a racetrack. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If you don’t think the LF-A crew could go back and develop another few seconds out of the car, you’re nuts. This could continue for a very long time, or at least until a driver dies setting a marketing laptime. At the speeds these cars can reach, and the ‘Ring’s archaic barrier setup, that day cannot be far away. The times will drop as long as there is the slightest possibility of enticing some Russian mobster to trade in one car for another based on those times.

Right now, however, the Viper is on top. An old 2010 model of a car developed in 2001 beat the “world’s best”. Best of all, you can run out and buy one still at many dealers. Why’s that? Because sometimes being the fastest car out there isn’t enough to move the fiberglass. But you knew that, right?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big surprise. ACR is the most ballin car the average Joe can buy.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see American cars high up on the list.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

........its only a matter of time before the haters come in and tell us how much "nicer" the LFA is........
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ i wouldn't be suprised. i love how they held the record in only a week and then dodge comes along and says yea... were still the ****
Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the LFA certainly is a nicer much more liveable car just not as fast
Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

HAHAHAHAHAHA LFA bit the dust. I really think that car is highly over rated and over priced.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

overpriced for sure
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

If I was given the choice between a house and a viper... well.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield

Quoth the Viper Club:

Will those guys at Generous Motors ever learn? When you play with a snake…. you eventually get bit.

They are trying to hide the news at the Corvette Forums, but like the horsepower in their supercharged small block… it’s too much to handle.

The word is out , let the crying and the excuses begin.

There’s no “official” word yet about it, but it appears that a new-old-stock 2010 Viper ACR, pulled off the floor at Tomball Dodge, has run a 7:12 “and change”.

It is so nice to be proven right. In my article about GM’s decision to return to the Ring for more publicity, I wrote,

Is the ACR still faster around the ‘Ring on equal tires? Almost certainly.

I made that statement based on my time driving Corvettes and Vipers and from observing the various ‘Ring videos. Needless to say, I was tried in absentia and sentenced to death by various forum fanboys around the globe. Sorry, kids!

According to various sources around the Internet, the SRT team took two ACRs from the showroom floor of Texas dealership Tomball Dodge and ran 7:12. This puts them ahead of the GT-R, the GT2, the ZR1, and the LF-A. To do it, they had to find ten seconds on a seven-minute track, which is about like finding two seconds at Mid-Ohio: difficult, but not impossible. And Chevrolet had already shown them how to do it: put in some more laps and swap out the tires.

The tire-swapping bit, by the way, is my personal conjecture. I don’t know that they put new tires on. I strongly doubt that they left the 2009-vintage stockers on. Tires degenerate as they are exposed to ozone.

What’s more important than the specific tire composition are these two facts:

•The Viper ACR is the finest vehicle ever built. I believe this in my soul. The only reason I don’t have one: it’s capable of eating $2000 a day worth of tires on the racetrack, whereas my Boxster can humiliate trackday heroes all year for one set of $500 used Hoosiers.

•‘Ring times are like any other laptimes in the world: subject to weather, chance, and the constant grinding effort of development work. Doesn’t matter if you start with a “stock” car. You can adjust camber, you can crank the toe in back until you either set a record or kill your driver, you can mess around with tire temps, you can use your datalogger to stitch together an “ideal lap” and then go run that lap. Period. No magic. No special significance. It’s a racetrack. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If you don’t think the LF-A crew could go back and develop another few seconds out of the car, you’re nuts. This could continue for a very long time, or at least until a driver dies setting a marketing laptime. At the speeds these cars can reach, and the ‘Ring’s archaic barrier setup, that day cannot be far away. The times will drop as long as there is the slightest possibility of enticing some Russian mobster to trade in one car for another based on those times.

Right now, however, the Viper is on top. An old 2010 model of a car developed in 2001 beat the “world’s best”. Best of all, you can run out and buy one still at many dealers. Why’s that? Because sometimes being the fastest car out there isn’t enough to move the fiberglass. But you knew that, right?

"the viper is the finest vehicle ever built, i believe it in my soul"

haha if thats not nutswingin' i dont know what is. the ZR1 will return the favor
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
Well the LFA certainly is a nicer much more liveable car just not as fast
Considering you can almost buy a brand new ACR Viper and a brand new LFA for the price of the Ring edition LFA, I would hope it's much nicer! I don't know how Lexus is selling any of them. I know the you can buy X, X, and X for the price of whatever expensive car is a poor thing to bring up normally, but not when you can almost buy a 458, MP4-12C, AND a Z06 for the price of a Ring edition LFA.

That said, Ring times are useless in the real world. Until they have the same driver, the same conditions, and the same timing equipment, they are nothing more than fuel for a bench racers arguement.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by atx63bravo
HAHAHAHAHAHA LFA bit the dust. I really think that car is highly over rated and over priced.

Originally Posted by Parasoth
I see nothing at all wrong with that picture.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

•The Viper ACR is the finest vehicle ever built. I believe this in my soul.
Wow, that's deep.
This is probably the corniest thing I've read that someone wrote about a car.
Is it possible to be a harder nutswinger?

I really like the Viper, but weighing over 3400lbs and managing to have a worse interior than a C6 doesn't really make it the finest car built.
In my humble opinion, there really is no "finest car ever built." That description is just too broad.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 09-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: viper acr beats new LFA & ZR1 'Ring lap time