Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It doesnt annoy me if you like the car or not. It annoys me how self rightous and arrogant you are. You have to argue with everyone about everything, correct the dumbest little things that don't matter in other's posts, and you have to feel like you're "right" all the time. You put other people down and act like you're an expert and your word is final, and anyone who disagrees must have something wrong with them. Your opinions aren't why people call you a troll, it's your attitude.
Well, that about sums it up.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

On what planet does a huge blower, all the hardware associated with that, massive diameter wide wheels, massive gumball tires and massive brakes all equal less weight?

It weighs what my G8 GXP with 20s weighs and the front tires on the ZL1 are wider than the rears on my GXP. This car is a monster.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
If I had the money I still wouldn't buy one strictly based on how heavy it is.
Originally Posted by TriShield
On what planet does a huge blower, all the hardware associated with that, massive diameter wide wheels, massive gumball tires and massive brakes all equal less weight?

It weighs what my G8 GXP with 20s weighs and the front tires on the ZL1 are wider than the rears on my GXP. This car is a monster.
Uh oh, looks like you guys are haters too
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
funny that you have issues about what i say ..very funny indeed seeing as how many on here have labeled you a "TROLL"..this has been said over and over and not just on this particular thread, but on LS1Tech period!..and YES..GT500's are SEVEARLY overrated because it's not a user freindly car..90% of the owners of them cannot even run MID 12's stock with them!..@ 550hp mid 12's should be a ******* ACCIDENT that a 17 year old Honda driver could do with his eyes closed...and LOW 11's with just drag radials!!???...i'ma need to see some proof of that because last i heard it was a 11.9 with drag radials was the fastest stock times recorded (with DR's) wich is respectable but a 11.9 is a long way from "bottom 11's" in drag racing terms....even if by some miracle one guy managed a low 11 with it, might as well call it a fluke..hell it's not like with a C6 ZO6 where MANY have recorded 10.9's on street tires and drag radials alike with good drivers..i got a vid on my youtube channel ( i will post vid) of me racing a 700+hp pulley, tuned, exhaust ect (or so he claimed) GT500 that was on drag radials and he ran a 12.1 to my 11.9 ( i spun clearly in the vid) he got the win of course despite my better ET because of my reaction time..my point here..the guy now how his GT500 into the 10's but with alot more mods than when we raced..he has made atleast 100 passes at the drag strip cause i have seen him make many myself since i meet up with him alot on T&T nights...he knows his car well, but with DR's pullley, and tune and one hell of a good launch (as seen in this vid) he STILL only ran a 12.1 to my 11.9..GT500's suck as a drag car unless you are a pro driver on DR"s..then you might hit 11's LOL...you can try to say whatever but i race GT500's ALOT at the track and have only lost to one (while still running a faster time) so no i'm not impressed by GT500's not even a lil bit..not when they cost 50k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fcCC...el_video_title
You sir, are not very bright.
Your cammed, procharged AUTO LS1 barely edges out a pullied GT500 at a drag strip, whose owner must not be able to drive, and that makes the GT500 over rated. That makes sense.....

There is more to the world than drag racing, and I am sure the owner of the GT500 could go out and buy a 10+year old Ls1 F-boby, lol.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I am humoring selling the GXP for one. I got to sit in the red preproduction car that has been on the web and in mags and loved it. It is truly a heavy-metal beast and puts the emphasis on the muscle in muscle car.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
You sir, are not very bright.
Your cammed, procharged AUTO LS1 barely edges out a pullied GT500 at a drag strip, whose owner must not be able to drive, and that makes the GT500 over rated. That makes sense.....

There is more to the world than drag racing, and I am sure the owner of the GT500 could go out and buy a 10+year old Ls1 F-boby, lol.
let me educate you more here on what you are trying to compare between my 99 camaro SS and 2010 GT500, besides just the 11 year age difference

1st off...my car is much faster now but in this race (not the one posted in this reply but the one above) i was still on my wimpy stock 10 bolt rear with 3.23 gears! and only a 3k stall..while the GT500 has a larger rear with more agressive gearing and the ability to launch at a higher rpm than my stall... 2nd of all you say procharger like that automaticly means 300+hp or some ****..it's a P1SC (on of the smallest superchargers ATI makes) and i'm ONLY running- 6 lbs -of boost!!!! while a STOCK GT500 makes 9 lbs of boost and this guy's pullied GT500 was'nt stock so he's making over 11 psi..3rd my car was having major belt slip issues as well as fuel pressure issues during this time period..4th a LS1 was never designed to run with boost but guess what..a GT500 was..and finally..in my car total purchase price and mods together maybe 22k..a new GT500 is 50k plus his atleast 2k in mods SO I ******* WIN since i still ran a faster time even after all that ****!!....so let me break it down Barney style for you..my car ran faster with LESS BOOST...LESS GEARING...and cost half the price!...sure buddy..feel good about your GT500 all you want..does'nt stop me from monkey stomping thier asses at the track on a most regular basis...wonder what would happen if woud've had the same amount of boost as the GT500's i have raced..probally beat them even worse! lol..BTW..just to remind you of how much GT500's are'nt very user freindly cars and of how many i have embarassed at the track..here's another vid of me running faster than a GT500..this was an 11.4 to his like 13 something HAHA ..wooooowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEScKDFJeU&feature=channel_video_title
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

let me educate you more here on what you are trying to compare between my 99 camaro SS and 2010 GT500, besides just the 11 year age difference

1st off...my car is much faster now but in this race i was still on my wimpy stock 10 bolt rear with 3.23 gears! and only a 3k stall..while the GT500 has a larger rear with more agressive gearing and the ability to launch at a higher rpm than my stall... 2nd of all you say procharger like that automaticly means 300+hp or some ****..it's a P1SC (on of the smallest superchargers ATI makes) and i'm ONLY running- 6 lbs -of boost!!!! while a STOCK GT500 makes 9 lbs of boost and this guy's pullied GT500 was'nt stock so he's making over 11 psi..3rd my car was having major belt slip issues as well as fuel pressure issues during this time period..4th a LS1 was never designed to run with boost but guess what..a GT500 was..and finally..in my car total purchase price and mods together maybe 22k..a new GT500 is 50k plus his atleast 2k in mods SO I ******* WIN since i still ran a faster time even after all that ****!!....so let me break it down Barney style for you..my car ran faster with LESS BOOST...LESS GEARING...and cost half the price!...sure buddy..feel good about your GT500 all you want..does'nt stop me from monkey stomping thier asses at the track on a most regular basis...wonder what would happen if woud've had the same amount of boost as the GT500's i have raced..probally beat them even worse! lol..BTW..just to remind you of how much GT500's are'nt very user freindly cars and of how many i have embarassed at the track..here's another vid of me running faster than a GT500..this was an 11.4 to his like 13 something HAHA ..wooooowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEScKDFJeU&feature=channel_video_title
I don't want to bash you, because you have a sweet car and it is very fast. But the whole argument about, "Well my car is faster and it cost me a lot less than this car does stock" is a cheap argument. A ricer with a Civic can buy one for half the cost of an F-body, drop a thousand or two in it and beat a stock F-body easily.

Almost any car, if modded well can beat a more powerful car in stock form.

Now I think the GT500 shines in the handling department, where the 4th Gen Camaros did alright, but not all that great.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

I don't want to bash you, because you have a sweet car and it is very fast. But the whole argument about, "Well my car is faster and it cost me a lot less than this car does stock" is a cheap argument. A ricer with a Civic can buy one for half the cost of an F-body, drop a thousand or two in it and beat a stock F-body easily.

Now I think the GT500 shines in the handling department, where the 4th Gen Camaros did alright, but not all that great.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

The only people who even think to call me a troll are retards, just gonna go ahead and say that. They have their head so far up their *** that they think anybody critical of a GM product is a hater, and anyone who has ever owned a Mustang is a "Ford guy." As for the low 11s GT500 on tires, they have this thing called Google. You should try it out sometime. And I don't give two ***** what you see at your track.

Edit: Here, I did your work for you. This guy bolted up a set of drag rims and slicks, and started practicing. Understand that they new GT500s are considerably quicker than the early cars. Go ahead and get your "well it has hidden mods" excuses ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAKgv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhul..._order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDX_g..._order&list=UL
yeah dude honestly something has to be up here...1st off some of the fastest times recorded even with drag radials were only high 11's wich is the best 99% of the ppl out there will do on thier best of days at the track in perfect weather...and you want me to believe some guy got his to a 11.1 because he "practiced"..so you only have one guy?..does'nt really make the GT500 a low 11 sec car with drag radials just cause he happened to have a few vids made and he claimed it's stock..but did you not notice how ******* hard that thing was squating when he was shifting??..did'nt look like stock gearing shifting to me!..and hell who could honestly tell?..not like anyone is gona bust open his rear just to verify the gearing but if they look under the hood it may look stock but srry bud an 11.1 with just drag radials is bullshit all day long and you should'nt be so gullable as to belive it..average stock times for the new 5.0's on drag radials is low 12's..but if someone made a vid claiming it was stock and they ran a ******* 11.5 would you believe it?..probally so but the rest of us who actually go to the drag strip and race and have seen these cars in action more than our own wives in action are'nt as quick to beleive that bullshit...BTW...what do you drive again?..is'nt that your moms vette in your sig pic?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01

yeah i get where you are coming from there and you are 100% correct..but when ppl try to tell me that it's not impressive that i beat GT500's ( especially modded ones) when they have EVERYTHING better than what my car does then i just get really pissed...they have forged engines..they run more boost..better gearing and they where overall designed from the factory to be very fast...the list goes on...i'm in the Army and i make okay money but i'm not well off enough that i could go buy a GT500 tomorrow and pay 50k cash for it...so when i beat one at the track..especially one that has had even MORE money dropped into it's already 550hp stock setup..well that is a reason for a F body owner to stand up and say ..."**** YOU FORD" lol..ppl can say what they want..i go to the drag strip a good bit and i have hundreds of wins over mustangs and the majority of them are highly modded or Termi's or GT500's...i have owned 2 mustangs before back when i was younger and did'nt know what HP meant lol..i like the new 5.0 stangs and the Termi's are pretty strait too..but a GT500..lol...can suck a ******** with it's 50k pricetag..the ZL1 is about to put it in it's place anyways..it atleast deserves to cost 50k..580hp with electronic suspension and electric power steering and all of the other sweet things it has that the GT500 does'nt
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesnt annoy me if you like the car or not. It annoys me how self rightous and arrogant you are. You have to argue with everyone about everything, correct the dumbest little things that don't matter in other's posts, and you have to feel like you're "right" all the time. You put other people down and act like you're an expert and your word is final, and anyone who disagrees must have something wrong with them. Your opinions aren't why people call you a troll, it's your attitude.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
On what planet does a huge blower, all the hardware associated with that, massive diameter wide wheels, massive gumball tires and massive brakes all equal less weight? It weighs what my G8 GXP with 20s weighs and the front tires on the ZL1 are wider than the rears on my GXP. This car is a monster.
I'm still not sure why people would think it would weigh less than the SS. Al oppenheiser said right off the bat it would weight about the same as a fully loaded SS. IMO it is pretty remarkable how little weight they did add with all the extra equipment. The new 20x11 rims w/305 tires weigh less than the current SS's wheels with the 285's. With the use of carbon fiber and leightweight materials throughout the car, if it wasnt for the blower and the rediculous suspension, leather/suede wrapped interior, it'd probably easily weigh less than 4,000 lbs.

ZL1 convertible...now THAT will be a monster!

No, they're just stating their opinions. They arent acting like everyone who likes the car needs their head examined.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 AM
***Repost Police***

yeah dude honestly something has to be up here...1st off some of the fastest times recorded even with drag radials were only high 11's wich is the best 99% of the ppl out there will do on thier best of days at the track in perfect weather...and you want me to believe some guy got his to a 11.1 because he "practiced"..so you only have one guy?..does'nt really make the GT500 a low 11 sec car with drag radials just cause he happened to have a few vids made and he claimed it's stock..but did you not notice how ******* hard that thing was squating when he was shifting??..did'nt look like stock gearing shifting to me!..and hell who could honestly tell?..not like anyone is gona bust open his rear just to verify the gearing but if they look under the hood it may look stock but srry bud an 11.1 with just drag radials is bullshit all day long and you should'nt be so gullable as to belive it..average stock times for the new 5.0's on drag radials is low 12's..but if someone made a vid claiming it was stock and they ran a ******* 11.5 would you believe it?..probally so but the rest of us who actually go to the drag strip and race and have seen these cars in action more than our own wives in action are'nt as quick to beleive that bullshit...BTW...what do you drive again?..is'nt that your moms vette in your sig pic?
You can believe whatever you would like. But they have, just like the CTS-V gone bottom 12s off the showroom floor. Maybe even a high 11 or two. And we have no problem believing the CTS-V has done it. You seem to think that what you personally see is the bottom line. And people call me arrogant.

I'm still not sure why people would think it would weigh less than the SS. Al oppenheiser said right off the bat it would weight about the same as a fully loaded SS. IMO it is pretty remarkable how little weight they did add with all the extra equipment. The new 20x11 rims w/305 tires weigh less than the current SS's wheels with the 285's. With the use of carbon fiber and leightweight materials throughout the car, if it wasnt for the blower and the rediculous suspension, leather/suede wrapped interior, it'd probably easily weigh less than 4,000 lbs.

ZL1 convertible...now THAT will be a monster!

No, they're just stating their opinions. They arent acting like everyone who likes the car needs their head examined.
Don't know that I have ever dogged somebody for liking it. What I do argue is people trying to knock my preference for the lighter car. I say basically that the ZL1 is just not my style. People wonder why I keep repeating that, but it is obviously for those people who think I am hating on it. Me and LS1LT1 have had our differences, but ask him if he thinks I talk **** about that car. He completely understands what I am talking about.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

no IRUNELEVENS, you seem to have me figured out all wrong here..see i go by expereience in drag racing and being around tons of it..i have seen way too many ppl get out there with a stock GT500 with just drag radials or with maybe some other small mods and barely run mid 12's..honestly the new 5.0's are the mustang to fear at the drag strips ( throw a lil boost and some DR's and they will run 10.9's!!) NOT the GT500's..i honestly laugh at them a lil bit much like i do at Hondas..they are similar to me in the fact that some are fast but the majority of them are'nt anything to be scared of..maybe it's just the overall lack of ppl out there who cant' drive their GT500's worth a damn that might be the problem...and i realize that..but it just seems to be way worse in the case of GT500's wich leads me to believe it's not a very user freindly car if it's so hard to get a 550hp car to run mid 12's on a preped drag strip..i HONESTLY would have to let off the gas to make my car run even a 12.0..my high 11's runs are because of me spinning lol..and i'm not making much HP more than a stock GT500 is ..and i honestly find it hard to believe a stock GT500 with just DR's and some drag rims (wich is weight reduction) made it to a 11.1...now i could see maybe an 11.8...but hell man i suppose anything is possible..all i know is when i race them at the track 96% of the time they get thier asses handed to them..i dont' even contribute that to my car being bad *** or whatever..i blame it all on the GT500's..there is no excuse they shoud'nt atleast run side by side with me at the track with DR's on..first few times i raced a GT500 i was nervous..thinking " oh snap a 5.4L DOHC with 9 PSI of boost and drag radials..scary"...only to be left looking in my rear view mirror to count how many car lenghts they are behind me..they are nice cars and very easy to mod and make beast..i just find them to be overpriced and waaay over hyped
Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i get where you are coming from there and you are 100% correct..but when ppl try to tell me that it's not impressive that i beat GT500's ( especially modded ones) when they have EVERYTHING better than what my car does then i just get really pissed...they have forged engines..they run more boost..better gearing and they where overall designed from the factory to be very fast...the list goes on...i'm in the Army and i make okay money but i'm not well off enough that i could go buy a GT500 tomorrow and pay 50k cash for it...so when i beat one at the track..especially one that has had even MORE money dropped into it's already 550hp stock setup..well that is a reason for a F body owner to stand up and say ..."**** YOU FORD" lol..ppl can say what they want..i go to the drag strip a good bit and i have hundreds of wins over mustangs and the majority of them are highly modded or Termi's or GT500's...i have owned 2 mustangs before back when i was younger and did'nt know what HP meant lol..i like the new 5.0 stangs and the Termi's are pretty strait too..but a GT500..lol...can suck a ******** with it's 50k pricetag..the ZL1 is about to put it in it's place anyways..it atleast deserves to cost 50k..580hp with electronic suspension and electric power steering and all of the other sweet things it has that the GT500 does'nt
Yes, you can make anything fast. It's also a ton easier to drag race an automatic car than it is a 6 speed manual car that make 550wtq right off of idle. A stock 2010+gt500 is a 118-122mph car bone stock. While your car isn't slow, it barely edges out a bolt on car, all be it one that is not set up to run ideally at the strip.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...t/viewall.html

People have run into the 11s on the stock F1 tires. Well set up and well driven cars can run into the 10s @130+mph on the stock blower, not to mention what can happen when you just bolt on a bigger huffer. Interstingly enough, the 2013 GT500 will come witht he bigger blower from the factory

If it makes you feel better, the 2011+ GT500s also come with electronic power steering, but no fancy magnetic suspension. You also get almost 400 extra pounds of steel when purchasing the ZL1, and about 35 less horsepower than the 2013 GT500 will have. Worth the price of admission for sure
Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, people will always justify their own routes of action. LS1's are a revolutionary motor and still dominate many racing scenes, but this thread is about the ZL1(10 years difference in technology/design, so get up to speed on the thread). I can see where the GT500 gets thrown around but saying that these cars are "SEVERELY overrated" because a few guys going through their midlife crisis goes to the drag strip and don't know how to drive a high torque/horsepower MANUAL transmission car with skinny tires and aggressive gearing is a little ignorant. Nobody is ******* anybody's car, but comparing two cars with completely different transmissions... is irrelevent to anything in this thread. The ZL1 is a beast of a machine from the factory, as is the GT500. Only difference is that ZL1 will easily be more of a novice friendly car, whereas the GT500 takes a true driver to control and maximize it's full potential... end of rant

Edit: 11.59 was published in newspapers on the 2010 GT500 with slicks by MM&FF. GT500's are no joke with a proper driver mod.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by redbadss
Wow, people will always justify their own routes of action. LS1's are a revolutionary motor and still dominate many racing scenes, but this thread is about the ZL1(10 years difference in technology/design, so get up to speed on the thread). I can see where the GT500 gets thrown around but saying that these cars are "SEVERELY overrated" because a few guys going through their midlife crisis goes to the drag strip and don't know how to drive a high torque/horsepower MANUAL transmission car with skinny tires and aggressive gearing is a little ignorant. Nobody is ******* anybody's car, but comparing two cars with completely different transmissions... is irrelevent to anything in this thread. The ZL1 is a beast of a machine from the factory, as is the GT500. Only difference is that ZL1 will easily be more of a novice friendly car, whereas the GT500 takes a true driver to control and maximize it's full potential... end of rant

Edit: 11.59 was published in newspapers on the 2010 GT500 with slicks by MM&FF. GT500's are no joke with a proper driver mod.
Oh look, another person that gets it
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbadss
Yup, Evan Smith is one of the greats. I've been to a couple of private track rentals that he was at as well, one of them was when he testing the 'then new' 2003 Mustang Cobra (running 12.2s with a few 'free mods').
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

evan smith can drive his *** off. he has one of the best jobs.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

it's just a shame a GT500 seems to be such at the mercy of the driver to even be considered a average threat at the drag strip...to return to the subject the thread is about..should be interesting to see the GT500 vs the ZL1...

Quick Reply: Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available