Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available

Hosted over at camaro5.com but I figured you folks may not have seen it yet.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...8&d=1319468122

Any issues with clicking the link, just paste the link into an empty browser. It is a .pdf file.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Oh look, it officially weighs 4,120lbs. So many clueless people thought it might actually weigh less than the SS. I wonder how much weight the automatic adds.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jeez man, it cant be that hard to lighten the car >.>
Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick V.
jeez man, it cant be that hard to lighten the car >.>
You would think that, the cars platform itself is quite heavy from the start then all the safety standards etc...could they lighten it? Of course but that would make the car more expensive if they used lighter more expensive parts.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

GM loses again. what a pig
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
***Repost Police***

I'll just go ahead and say this before certain people come in and try to convince me of how awesome it is... I don't care about the numbers it puts up. I thought my Mustang was heavy, and this weighs 700lbs more. This weighs almost exactly the same as my old 4-door pickup. Nearly the same as a Hemi Dodge Magnum STATION WAGON. I simply don't want a "sporty" car that weighs that much.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'll just go ahead and say this before certain people come in and try to convince me of how awesome it is... I don't care about the numbers it puts up. I thought my Mustang was heavy, and this weighs 700lbs more. This weighs almost exactly the same as my old 4-door pickup. Nearly the same as a Hemi Dodge Magnum STATION WAGON. I simply don't want a "sporty" car that weighs that much.
Que "but it handles well, look at the Nurburgring times!"

Even with the weight the auto will probably be a monster in a straight line with minimal mods
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a GM guy, but this is a let-down. GT500 remains the car to have.

The forged crank is nice though.

Last edited by Z Fury; 10-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get used to it. Until somebody comes up with some cheap lightweight materials to use cars will stay heavy or get heavier. Government standards and crash equipement is only gonna get worse and cars are gonna need more and more
Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cole Train
Get used to it. Until somebody comes up with some cheap lightweight materials to use cars will stay heavy or get heavier. Government standards and crash equipement is only gonna get worse and cars are gonna need more and more
Thank you.

Just because the car has a little bit more weight on it doesn't mean anything, it's far more advanced technology wise then the GT500 so it very well will be a good competition and ford knows that seeing as how quickly they reacted to it by boosting the power for the 2013 model. Both are great cars and I can't wait to see them compared in all areas.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like it. im excited about it.

i know someone that has one on order. i cant wait to see it.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Exactly....ask me how I now.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys over at camaro5 don't seem to care that their boat weights more then my GMC does.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Increased usage of boron steel and other high strength steels may help to some extent.

I read that though a different manufacturing technique and increased usage of boron steel Ford was able to save 88 lbs on the Fiesta although I could not verify a source. IIRC the Cruze and Volt also make extensive use of these. IMO these are a great way to improve performance(braking, handling), meet CAFE requirements, and increased crash standards as these are stronger. I'm not sure if the downside is cost, but through increased homogenization maybe the cost will come down. I know the manufacturing techniques can be quite different as well.

Audi has done quite well with these in the past, hopefully this will become an industry trend.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh look, it officially weighs 4,120lbs. So many clueless people thought it might actually weigh less than the SS. I wonder how much weight the automatic adds.
Idk why anyone would have thought this to be a fact. Since day 1 that they released the concept they said it would weigh about the same as the current SS depending upon the options. 5th gen SS's with leather and fully loaded tip 4k lbs commonly. With the added supercharger and completely revised suspension, its amazing how little they actually added IMO.

I'll bring it up again because I still think its dumb...this is the best performing camaro ever. Best handling, best acceleration, most power, best quality interior, best suspension, the list goes on...

Once again, people bitch about the weight...why does it matter how much it weighs if it puts down better numbers than anything weve ever seen from a camaro before? It's hanging with sueprcars that are 5x the price...

People always complain about something...

You want something smaller, lighter, with less power, for cheaper? I hear Honda has a nice line up this year...
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's certainly a heavy car, but it's still lighter than a Bugatti Veyron (4,162 lbs).
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Que "but it handles well, look at the Nurburgring times!"

Even with the weight the auto will probably be a monster in a straight line with minimal mods
I'm sure it will be. And that's cool for the people who only care about that.
Well the GT500 weighs nearly 300lbs less, and the next-gen Mustang is rumored to be smaller/lighter. I wish people would stop acting like GM had no choice but to have the Camaro weigh as much as it does. They wanted to bring the car out quickly, so instead of making a dedicated platform (which would have been smaller/lighter, guaranteed) they used the best one that they already had. It's not like they don't realize that weight is incredibly important, which is why the next Camaro is rumored to be on the Alpha platform.
Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Idk why anyone would have thought this to be a fact. Since day 1 that they released the concept they said it would weigh about the same as the current SS depending upon the options. 5th gen SS's with leather and fully loaded tip 4k lbs commonly. With the added supercharger and completely revised suspension, its amazing how little they actually added IMO.

I'll bring it up again because I still think its dumb...this is the best performing camaro ever. Best handling, best acceleration, most power, best quality interior, best suspension, the list goes on...

Once again, people bitch about the weight...why does it matter how much it weighs if it puts down better numbers than anything weve ever seen from a camaro before? It's hanging with sueprcars that are 5x the price...

People always complain about something...

You want something smaller, lighter, with less power, for cheaper? I hear Honda has a nice line up this year...
If numbers are all that matter to you, go for it. Numbers aren't everything to me (and MANY MANY others), and I think that the way a car feels is EASILY just as important as the numbers it puts down.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 10-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You all can whine and argue about it's weight all you want. Bottom line is that this thing is a strong runner for what it is, and there's no disputing that. Cannot wait to see what the A6 does with a tune/bolt-on's, going to really be a fast car.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

some people like it,some dont.

i understand why some wouldnt but i and others appreciate a car like this from GM and that also should be respected.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
***Repost Police***

I respect it, of course. But it is definitely not my thing.

Quick Reply: Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available