Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 Tested vs BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Car and Driver put the weight at 4150? And motortrend at 4050, wonder what it really is?
I did expect aleast 120mph traps...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raymond mckinney
Car and Driver put the weight at 4150? And motortrend at 4050, wonder what it really is?
I did expect aleast 120mph traps...
Fuel levels maybe are different, testing equipment, options on car, scale not calibrated? Just throwing something out there. No clue though.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Uh, just by virtue that it rides on a modern, clean-sheet structure from Holden, features an independent rear suspension that was a new design, the first car to use the next magnetic suspension system, etc Yes, it is a generation newer (therefore ahead) in engineering at the very least. And in this article it shows. When Ford finally comes out with a new Mustang from the ground-up then the tables will turn.

Point was that Ford could have used any suspension it wanted to. BOSS is a new model (Parneli Jones tested & all that) . Ford made the choice recently, as in modern times. Ford could have used any suspension design & chose for themselves. By your logic, I could claim that GM didn't remove the front & rear anti-sway bars in leu of individually computer controlled control arms like what is found on the McClaren MP4-12C. So, the ZL1 must not have a modern design suspension. Further, if Ford used a live rear axle (I doubt it & did not go look & see), then they are just dumb a$$es.

Am a fan of the BOSS & not the ZL1. Also, am not a Ford or GM guy; just a car guy. A modern built ZL1 beat a modern built BOSS on a road course. I'm as shocked as most.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Point was that Ford could have used any suspension it wanted to. BOSS is a new model (Parneli Jones tested & all that) . Ford made the choice recently, as in modern times. Ford could have used any suspension design & chose for themselves.
I am simply said that the base engineering of the Camaro is newer than that of the Mustang. That's why the Camaro recieved comments about it's superior composure, refinement and rigidity - which is all to be expected in a vehicle whose bones were designed more recently than the other. I'm not sure you are getting that by reading your comments.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Now you have my attention

I'm just surprised it beat a purpose built mustang around the track. Well played.

I am impressed
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pretty awesome. Release the Alpha Camaro with direct injection.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wimimc
Pretty awesome. Release the Alpha Camaro with direct injection.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Winning is winning.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GTOSE
I'm just surprised it beat a purpose built mustang around the track. Well played.
And it was the Laguna Seca package at that, not just the already spectacular base Boss 302, not that there is any huge performance difference between the two Bosses.
I love both cars (ZL1s and Boss 302s or Camaros and Mustangs in general for that matter) but I too am impressed.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Point was that Ford could have used any suspension it wanted to. BOSS is a new model (Parneli Jones tested & all that) . Ford made the choice recently, as in modern times. Ford could have used any suspension design & chose for themselves. By your logic, I could claim that GM didn't remove the front & rear anti-sway bars in leu of individually computer controlled control arms like what is found on the McClaren MP4-12C. So, the ZL1 must not have a modern design suspension. Further, if Ford used a live rear axle (I doubt it & did not go look & see), then they are just dumb a$$es.

Am a fan of the BOSS & not the ZL1. Also, am not a Ford or GM guy; just a car guy. A modern built ZL1 beat a modern built BOSS on a road course. I'm as shocked as most.
You're right, Ford could have used any suspension they wanted to, but they didn't. I can almost guarantee that the next generation Mustang will have IRS and a setup similar to GM's magnetic ride control, thus proving what TriShield is saying about the Mustang being a generation behind. This is not to say that the new Mustang's suspension is trash, because we all know it has already proven itself to be very capable on the track.

Originally Posted by GTOSE
I'm just surprised it beat a purpose built mustang around the track.
One can argue that the ZL1 is also a purpose built track car... GM sure does.

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised. IMO had the ZL1 not done this well, GM would have been embarrassed.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yah, well it's a pretty good slap in the face when your purpose built & boasted road course car gets spanked by a fat pig. It's also why I'm a fan of building mutts. Taking what works & building ones' own brand of performance.

A lot of R&D, as well as cost went into developing the new BOSS. There are no excuses. Ford should have just slapped a BOSS badge on a Roush & saved 100 million.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
Not surprised at all. Everything about the current Camaro from the ground-up is a generation ahead of the Mustang which has been around since 2005. We'll see if Ford tweaked the GT500 enough to surpass the ZL1. The power is certainly there but is the grip?
This has always been fords downfall with the GT500.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

funny how the tables have turned...camaro needs a blower to beat a mustang.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
I disagree. Apply the ZL1 suspension technology to a SS with a hotcam LS3 under the hood and see what happens. IMO that should be the Z28.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I think they're comming out with a 1le Camaro with all the suspension bits but no charger.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I think they're comming out with a 1le Camaro with all the suspension bits but no charger.
That's what it was. I couldn't remember the name. I really don't care what they call it, so long as they make it. A 30-40hp increase would be nice too!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
Did you read the article? The driver has praise for the car's handling and ability to make the driver confident more for the victory than the power.

2.4 seconds per lap is a decent margin

It would be interesting to see a car setup similar to the ZL1 but NA and how it stacks up. Might find the supercharger isn't necessary for the car to hold it's own (depending on the track). Kinda like comparing the Z06/Z07 Corvettes to the ZR1.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

This is what 2.1 sec look like. Keep in mind they compared a 12 Boss to a 10 Camaro(I would assume with 2yr old tires and all). I would like to see this comparison again but with a more comparable 12 SS with the new fe4 suspension.

http://youtu.be/Jr3SwDviPQ0
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
It would be interesting to see a car setup similar to the ZL1 but NA and how it stacks up. Might find the supercharger isn't necessary for the car to hold it's own (depending on the track). Kinda like comparing the Z06/Z07 Corvettes to the ZR1.
I'd like to see that as well...and a car like that would also be a little lighter (and more importantly, that weight would be off the nose/front of the car) without that blower/intercooler/plumbing under the hood.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Did you read the article? The driver has praise for the car's handling and ability to make the driver confident more for the victory than the power.

2.4 seconds per lap is a decent margin

first of all, i was being sarcastic..secondly, i seriously doubt that a SS would keep up with the L.S. BOSS even if it had the ZL1s suspension. so if you look at it from the realist's stand point and not a GM fan, you can see that the ZL1s hp helped outed immensly on the straight aways.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Tested vs BOSS