Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 Tested vs BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 427 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
first of all, i was being sarcastic..secondly, i seriously doubt that a SS would keep up with the L.S. BOSS even if it had the ZL1s suspension. so if you look at it from the realist's stand point and not a GM fan, you can see that the ZL1s hp helped outed immensly on the straight aways.
Actually having more corner speed will help more than the HP on that track. I bet a 12 fe4 SS would do better than the boss.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

first of all, i was being sarcastic..secondly, i seriously doubt that a SS would keep up with the L.S. BOSS even if it had the ZL1s suspension. so if you look at it from the realist's stand point and not a GM fan, you can see that the ZL1s hp helped outed immensly on the straight aways.
Well if you want sarcasm to be clear, use an emoticon or some other indication. Sorry for misinterpreting to comment.

My response was based on the driver's comments from the article and has nothing to do with being a "GM fan", just a curious thought towards a statement implying it was only HP that caused the results. There's no doubt power helps in the straights, but 140hp in a turn is usually more hurtful than helpful.

Just trying to keep the thread on track with some intelligent discussion before it devolves into the typical Ford v. Chevy bullshit about sales numbers, weight, use of power adders, and displacement handicaps...
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Well if you want sarcasm to be clear, use an emoticon or some other indication. Sorry for misinterpreting to comment.

My response was based on the driver's comments from the article and has nothing to do with being a "GM fan", just a curious thought towards a statement implying it was only HP that caused the results. There's no doubt power helps in the straights, but 140hp in a turn is usually more hurtful than helpful.

Just trying to keep the thread on track with some intelligent discussion before it devolves into the typical Ford v. Chevy bullshit about sales numbers, weight, use of power adders, and displacement handicaps...
It will happen, dont worry

Anyway, I am impressed about this ZL1 beating the Boss. I'm pretty sure the 140hp made the difference. IMO, a MR equipped LS3 N/A Camaro would be enough to keep up/beat the Boss, BUT with 300-400lbs less LOL
Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock

I'm pretty sure the 140hp made the difference. IMO, a MR equipped LS3 N/A Camaro would be enough to keep up/beat the Boss, BUT with 300-400lbs less LOL
Based on these results, that is what I was getting at. If they drop some weight from the lack of supercharger and maybe give it a slight HP bump to the ls3...the car they end up with could still be competitive.

Would it be much closer? Of course. But the thought is more along the lines of dispelling the idea that many people (myself included) had that they couldn't build a street legal car that could even come close to the Boss because the Boss was so impressive to start with.

The idea such a car could keep up might still be bullshit. Maybe it would get its *** stomped by the Boss. But it makes for interesting conversation.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
One can argue that the ZL1 is also a purpose built track car... GM sure does.

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised. IMO had the ZL1 not done this well, GM would have been embarrassed.
What I meant by this was the giant front splitter on the BOSS LS, as well as the roll bar in the backseat, along with other forms of weight reduction.

The ZL1 is more comparable to the GT500, which is built with the public roads in mind a little more.

I think when most people saw the title given the previous performances of the Camaro, they expected the worst for the ZL1. Especially around the race track.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

I bet if they did a series of 10 laps by the end of the series the ZL1 would be 3-4 sec. a lap faster. They did flying laps and commented on how much easier the ZL1 was to drive.

If they build a 1le car it would be faster than the Boss.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOSE
What I meant by this was the giant front splitter on the BOSS LS, as well as the roll bar in the backseat, along with other forms of weight reduction.

The ZL1 is more comparable to the GT500, which is built with the public roads in mind a little more.

I think when most people saw the title given the previous performances of the Camaro, they expected the worst for the ZL1. Especially around the race track.
I know what you were saying. The Boss LS is 100% track oriented and the ZL1 still has the street in mind, no dispute there. However, GM has come out and said that the ZL1 is 100% road course ready from the factory. They've made multiple videos spouting off about its lap times and features that have been developed and tuned at the Nurburgring. Based on those statements I expect it to be able to go out and compete with cars like the Boss LS.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
I know what you were saying. The Boss LS is 100% track oriented and the ZL1 still has the street in mind, no dispute there. However, GM has come out and said that the ZL1 is 100% road course ready from the factory. They've made multiple videos spouting off about its lap times and features that have been developed and tuned at the Nurburgring. Based on those statements I expect it to be able to go out and compete with cars like the Boss LS.
Fair enough, they have been advertising the **** out of that thing.

lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I think we have proved the point that if the camaro wasn't so heavy and had better Hp to weight ratio it would be as fast as the ls boss like the new zl1 has done. Now as far as beating a current gt500 I think that's been established and is a win for Chevy since that's the car is was built for not the new gt500 which was fords response to the zl1 so when the ford beats it I won't be surprised or let down because it's what's supposed to happen if not then it will be more shamefull for the ford guys then it will for us. I'm also glad I'm able to enjoy some of the best cars ever built before the v8 days are gone forever because my kids won't have this around when there old enough to enjoy and afford it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very impressive...but I'd still take the Boss over it. I haven't really cared about the ZL1 since I found out it weighs as much as a Taurus. I still have trouble abiding the 3800 lbs that the current GT500 weighs.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Very impressive...but I'd still take the Boss over it. I haven't really cared about the ZL1 since I found out it weighs as much as a Taurus. I still have trouble abiding the 3800 lbs that the current GT500 weighs.
I think we all know you and Irunelevens would . Btw, where is Irunelevens? I've had my ready and waiting to hear what he'd come up with.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wonder if the BOSS's track key was activated on that lap? i m disappointed the ZL1 only beat the BOSS by .2 sec in the 1/4 mile. i am NOT surprised the ZL1 did win on the course considering it has more hp/tq....its kinda like comparing a EVO to a GTR, both track-minded cars but one has more power than the other.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fspeedster
I think we all know you and Irunelevens would .
If you're calling him a nustwinger you must be confusing him with someone else.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

He's definetly not a

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
He's definetly not a

Really?? You are one of the biggest nut swingers on the forum, he likes cars because they are good.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Actually I'm not. I have alot of friends with fords. I do know the differences and I cut the bs. I do prefer chevy's, but I would buy another make.

Remember I'm not the ford guy on the chevy forum talking up all the Ford ****, that's a heavey duty . I don't belong to any Ford furums.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
It will happen, dont worry

Anyway, I am impressed about this ZL1 beating the Boss. I'm pretty sure the 140hp made the difference. IMO, a MR equipped LS3 N/A Camaro would be enough to keep up/beat the Boss, BUT with 300-400lbs less LOL
i wonder if the BOSS's track key was activated on that lap? i m disappointed the ZL1 only beat the BOSS by .2 sec in the 1/4 mile. i am NOT surprised the ZL1 did win on the course considering it has more hp/tq....its kinda like comparing a EVO to a GTR, both track-minded cars but one has more power than the other.
Why is this being brought up so many times? Directly from the article: "the data indicates the ZL1 carries more speed everywhere but the slowest corner."
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im happy to hear the news
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Actually I'm not. I have alot of friends with fords. I do know the differences and I cut the bs. I do prefer chevy's, but I would buy another make.

Remember I'm not the ford guy on the chevy forum talking up all the Ford ****, that's a heavey duty . I don't belong to any Ford furums.
The fact that you think I'm a "Ford guy," means that either you don't really pay attention to the stuff I say, or you just don't get it. Whatever, doesn't matter. As for the OP, that is very impressive. Glad to see this car can back up the BS.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here are two more reviews

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196058

Quick Reply: ZL1 Tested vs BOSS