Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Corvette C7 Prototype caught testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012 | 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still don't understand all the people complaining about the dual clutch gearbox....sure it might deliver .5 MPG better or shift so many milliseconds quicker.....who cares?

For many of us it is about the driving experience and feeling like you are connected to the car. Nothing gives you that feel of power and control like power shifting a short throw shifter coming out of a turn.
Old 01-23-2012 | 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
When people say that, it has nothing to do with performance.
What does it have to do with then? You can't tell me the C4 in it's time was more like the C1 of it's time than the C6 is.
Old 01-23-2012 | 12:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Another off track thread. From prototype C7 to C4!
At least this one stayed on Corvettes...that is incredible
Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I still don't understand all the people complaining about the dual clutch gearbox....sure it might deliver .5 MPG better or shift so many milliseconds quicker.....who cares?

For many of us it is about the driving experience and feeling like you are connected to the car. Nothing gives you that feel of power and control like power shifting a short throw shifter coming out of a turn.

Originally Posted by gocartone
What does it have to do with then? You can't tell me the C4 in it's time was more like the C1 of it's time than the C6 is.
Again, not saying I agree with it, but I know what they're talking about when they say it;
That last part was kinda the point. Every Corvette from 1953-1996 was uncomfortable, hot, noisy, etc. The Corvette had never tried to be comfortable or refined before. It's kinda like the Jeep guys that say '96 was the last real Wrangler.

Old 01-23-2012 | 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
No ****, but it needs that type of clutch to operate that type a trans....so back at ya

If you think you can row the gears as fast as that trans can your a fool.....and when is extra traction not good????

Shorting shift times = better acceleration
Traction = better acceleration/better handleing

The only downside would be extra weight.

Now if they got real with makeing the car light say less than 3000lb then that would be awesome also.
majority of flappy paddle gearboxes have used a single clutch setup. so.. dual clutch isnt required. the reason for a dual clutch like in the ZR1 would be the ability to withstand more.
Old 01-23-2012 | 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Ok smart guy. So these ain't the production mirrors? What your comment come back at you.
Interesting that you feel the need to feel insulted so quickly. You are the one that brought up the mirrors. I was just curious why you assumed them to be using C5ish morriors on the production C7 from that picture. Let's assume that the C7 mirrors would hint at the lines of the production car, we were out doing preproduction testing, and actively trying to hide the styling of the car; wouldn't it be logical to use a mirror that did not give anything away.
Old 01-23-2012 | 02:19 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

At least this one stayed on Corvettes...that is incredible
That's a good point.
Old 01-23-2012 | 03:21 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Ive always wanted a vy/black interior 6spd c6

Odd, '96s had the upgraded Opti that was supposed to be free from the issues that plagued the early LT1 cars.
True...I believe '95 was the first year of the updated Opti spark.

Originally Posted by Felix C
C7 in the pic. appears as an early Pantera prior to the wing and wheel flared versions.
Yes, with maybe even a little Lamborghini Miura mixed in there as well.

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 Prototype caught testing