Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the ZL1 might be faster to 60 due to traction issues on the GT500's part. But as soon as those tires hook up to the ground the GT500's lighter weight and additional horsepower will pull ahead. I expect the ZL1 to get raped in the 1/4 mile against the GT500, and since the car isn't officially released yet...they will probably do more laps at the Nurburgring.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fspeedster
Let it go, obviously the car doesn't appeal to you. Someone who likes to autocross their car on any given time or drive the car hard and still have a warranty, are the ones who take those numbers into account. People who like to push they're cars to the limits will take those numbers into account. And going from your logic why would anyone buy a Ferrari? Very few owners will actually push those cars to their limit.
Why do people buy Ferrari??? Wild guess, but thats more of a status symbol thing than anything else. I have nothing againt the ZL1, its a great car. What i do have a problem with is the way GM is marketing it. I understand they want to reassure the camaro fans they have nothing to worry about just to keep the pre-orders coming in..but numbers dont lie. Why did they choose to release and test it at a 3rd world track that doesnt keep timed runs of previously tested cars(like VIR,Leguna Seca, etc. do)...Ford debuted the Boss at Leguna Seca. Seems like GM didnt want to have the ZL1 compared to other tested vehicles. Why didnt GM find a GT500 to test against the ZL1 since they claimed it is its direct competition??? I would think that GT500s are more readily available than the Leguna Seca Boss And before anyone brings up 'But they ran it at the Ring'..i dont put much stock in those Ring numbers cause we all know that most manufacuters skew test results (blame Nissan for discrediting testing procedures). Also, i think GM tried to tilt the results in their favor by testing both cars in high altitude. But like i said before, i understand GM claiming that the ZL1 will beat the GT500 just to avoid order cancellations, but i think its a punk move on their part.

Last edited by 1QWIKZ; 01-23-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I think its pretty funny everyone is getting worked up about the cheif engineer being confident in his vehicle. Everyone is jumpin to conclusions like two rival car clubs before a street race or something. Seems to me the zl1 has more technology in it from what ive read. It beat the BOSS 302 Laguna Seca by 2.5 secs around Laguna Seca, and not because of power. Maybe Ford can get their gt500 to hook up.. only time will tell.. BUT if the zl1 came out with the ls9 everyone would have a different story. I'm sure if the chief engineer woulda known about the power rating of the new gt500 they woulda thrown the ls9 in it, there cant be that much difference in between lsa and ls9 price wise from a production standpoint. I thought the powerpoint was pretty funny noting that gt500 owners will have to do extra for track duty or it would void their warranty and the Camaro is fully backed straight off the show room floor. If he didnt make it known, I'm sure someone else would have on the internet somewhere.. I love the new mustangs I would own one, probably before I bought a 5th gen Camaro, and I'm hardcore chevy. They are impressive. But the zl1 is a pretty awesome piece of machinery.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
Because we live in the twenty teens and expect cars to do more than just shoot down the road in a straight line.
Seriously...
Right...because I chase cars through all of the curvy roads on my way to work to see if I can pass them or not.....

I love the "we did simulatios" line and saying the Z is faster to 60. It sounds like they know it's not faster anywhere else, lol.

It seems they are trying pretty hard to get press for the car in the wake of the GT500s debut. I can't wait for the head to head amtchups to roll in!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z Fury
70 more horses plus about 300 pounds lighter. Hell, the weight difference alone is why the LS1 Vette outruns the LS1 F-body.

If both cars get traction at the drag strip, this is seriously a no-brainer. The 'Ring time is what is up for debate. My guess is Ford can't match the ZL1's time, and that's why it hasn't released a time yet. With the technology in the ZL1, I don't doubt that it will be the better car for all-around performance. But to deny that the GT500 will hand the ZL1 its *** on the drag strip (assuming good traction) is a bit naive.
Ford did not rent the track out and close it down in an attempt to get a "record run".
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
I'm sure it could be kept in line with the GT500.
The price difference of 13k msrp between the shortblocks would probably lead to a little higher sticker.....People are already complaiing about 55k.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True.
Sort of like how some current/2012 GT500 owners might be scared of what the ZL1 will do to their cars when it comes out?
lol

Hardly.....I will post pics of my new plates when they come in
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge just announced a 685 hp 7 speed dct Challenger for 2013. This will be interesting.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bullitt1672
One thing is for sure though, the ZL1 can't outrun ugly.
Well, for that matter, no car can LOL.
But I would NEVER call the ZL1 (or any 5th gen) ugly, but that too is merely an opinion.
Do I like it's looks more than the current Mustang's (especially the GT500)?
I'm not sure as I think both cars look awesome and pay a very honorable homage to their respective original counterparts.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Dodge just announced a 685 hp 7 speed dct Challenger for 2013. This will be interesting.

I'm so happy to hear that not only for the usual/obvious reasons (I like Challengers, all SRT8 vehicles in general for that matter and, it will also keep that current fire lit underneath the Camaro's and Mustang's asses) but also for what it could mean for the next Viper and Corvette as far as transmissions go.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://youtu.be/4rqeCLYxy9k
http://youtu.be/NnfSktB4j_I
http://youtu.be/HzEwp4GoSZo
http://youtu.be/7ABSlnD_OsQ
http://youtu.be/qdPOF9TV5lU
http://youtu.be/39JKb77FrjA

Just look at the engineering that went into the Zl1. They turned a Camaro into a factory race car that could compete with the best! Idk what Ford has done with the new GT500 besides the new powerplant, but I feel very confident the ZL1 will be a much better car even if it won't win in a straight line! The complete build specs of the ZL1 from bumper to bumper is just jaw-dropping. I will give GM it's credit for this one even though I could never see myself owning one (I'm much rather get a Z06).

I wouldn't hesitate to put 800rwhp through the factory drivetrain in the ZL1 and I bet you it would handle it with no sweat at the drag strip, road course, or even daily driving. Usually, the car makers cheap out on a lot of components when building a car, there's countless examples of this (4L60E, 10-bolt anyone? Other manufactures have faults to I'm sure but I'm giving the Fbody examples). Not on the ZL1 though, everything is beefed up and stronger to handle the 580HP in the most outrageous conditions. If anyone knows, the real test of a car is on the road course. Not because of handling or timeslips, but the amount of stress every single nut and bolt on the car will be exposed to. Nothing compares to a race track. If there's a weakpoint, it will find it!

IMO the ZL1 is 10 times the car. My .02 cents! Cheers
Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
http://youtu.be/4rqeCLYxy9k
http://youtu.be/NnfSktB4j_I
http://youtu.be/HzEwp4GoSZo
http://youtu.be/7ABSlnD_OsQ
http://youtu.be/qdPOF9TV5lU
http://youtu.be/39JKb77FrjA

Just look at the engineering that went into the Zl1. They turned a Camaro into a factory race car that could compete with the best! Idk what Ford has done with the new GT500 besides the new powerplant, but I feel very confident the ZL1 will be a much better car even if it won't win in a straight line! The complete build specs of the ZL1 from bumper to bumper is just jaw-dropping. I will give GM it's credit for this one even though I could never see myself owning one (I'm much rather get a Z06).

I wouldn't hesitate to put 800rwhp through the factory drivetrain in the ZL1 and I bet you it would handle it with no sweat at the drag strip, road course, or even daily driving. Usually, the car makers cheap out on a lot of components when building a car, there's countless examples of this (4L60E, 10-bolt anyone? Other manufactures have faults to I'm sure but I'm giving the Fbody examples). Not on the ZL1 though, everything is beefed up and stronger to handle the 580HP in the most outrageous conditions. If anyone knows, the real test of a car is on the road course. Not because of handling or timeslips, but the amount of stress every single nut and bolt on the car will be exposed to. Nothing compares to a race track. If there's a weakpoint, it will find it!

How many ZL1s have you driven Sir?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

I'll take the ZL1 for Road America and the Mustang for drag racing......
Wait a second! I already have a drag car. I guess I'll just just take a ZL1......
Eh maybe buy a used C6 Z06 and just run that....
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

How many ZL1s have you driven Sir?
Ha, not only that, but don't the current GT500s handle 1000whp without touching the engine? What has the CTS-V put down for power? IDK that this engine is going to hold up to 800whp (ZL1) with the pistons they are putting in them. Add to that the fact that they are changing A LOT on the GT500 other than just the engine, they just aren't trying so hard to sell it to people. (650HP and 200+mph is all they need to say though )
Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Where? When I search for this the only thing coming up is your post.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper

I don't know how you can jump to a conclusion like this when nobody has even tested the GT500 yet? You really don't know how much car it will actually be until it has been tested against some worthwhile competitors. I love watching GM's well-edited videos and segments hyping this car up, it's awesome, but at the end of the day it's just marketing, I don't personally feed into ALL of what they say about it. I'm saving my judgement for when the real comparison tests start to surface.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i wonder if a zl1 conversion is available for SSs or at least some parts.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by D3VIL
Even if the GT500 wins at the strip but loses Ring, ZL1 still wins, because it shows it's overall ability.

I'm not talking ish, I'm just saying "what-ifs". Because the Ring is respected around the world, where as drag-strips are mainly for america.
Actually, most people have realized that the Ring is mostly hype and the times are pretty useless.

A lot of the track times for the Ring have been set by independents and achieved in a short amount of time.

For example, the ZR1's quickest lap was the best of only three clean laps. The others involved traffic because GM didn't rent the track.

Then there's the old C6 Z06 time that was done from a dig rather than a roll.

And believe me, there are many many more examples.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Actually, most people have realized that the Ring is mostly hype and the times are pretty useless.

A lot of the track times for the Ring have been set by independents and achieved in a short amount of time.

For example, the ZR1's quickest lap was the best of only three clean laps. The others involved traffic because GM didn't rent the track.

Then there's the old C6 Z06 time that was done from a dig rather than a roll.

And believe me, there are many many more examples.
The ring isn't hyped brother. If a car can perform there it can perform anywhere in the world. It's where great cars are born. Stop being a f&cking hater on a car you won't even buy.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Don't even respond. Nobody wants to read your hatred.

Quick Reply: Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500