Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by D3VIL
The interior feels super cheap
Oh, I wouldn't go that far LOL. I know the point you're trying to make here and that this is not the main focus of it, but just wanted to point out that the overall interior quality of even the base C6 interior is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. It's not quite the '1985 Camaro' type interior they seem to be mixing it up with LOL. The feel (and even fit) of some of the materials used is quite good and solid actually.
And then of course there's the optional upgraded interiors:

Originally Posted by GTOSE
and a Ferrari 458 Italia which does 0-60 in around 3.4 second's as well, is in the 200,000$+ range.
Actually closer to $300k+ right now.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

and 100k vette has the same steering wheel as a cobalt. Yes, it's an amazing machine with minimal drawbacks, but it gives the magazines and the enthusiast something to complain at.
but the steering wheel is just unacceptable, no excuse!
What part of "A 120k car should not have the same steering wheel as a 15k cobalt" is acceptable to you?
You do have a point there, but please, please don't point fingers at ONLY GM/Chevrolet/Team Corvette for doing that.
Other manufacturers do it as well. Yet why don't those same magazines and enthusiasts you speak of ever mention that? A little biased perhaps?
For instance, $105k+ Mercedes SL550 Night Edition using a nearly identical steering wheel as the $34k C250?

$137k+ BMW 760iL:

$28k BMW 128i:

Last edited by LS1LT1; 01-26-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 AM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but those steering wheels are way better
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, but those steering wheels are way better
Maybe.
But I've seen worse than this, even in some more costly vehicles as well:

Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's up with the interior fetishes in here? If you want nice interior you should be looking at a new 7 series or an S65 AMG or something like that, these are straight up performance cars, why does it matter so much?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
What's up with the interior fetishes in here? If you want nice interior you should be looking at a new 7 series or an S65 AMG or something like that, these are straight up performance cars, why does it matter so much?
Because, everyone has to find at least something wrong with a car just to have something to complain about. It's like the Camaro if it were 300lbs lighter and had a far "better" interior pretty sure everyone would have something else to complain about it then.

Just how it goes...for me interior isn't a big issue with a performance car I mean I did buy a 4th gen after all.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter01
I know there are a ton of fast GT500s out there I just never see any at my local track. I see a bunch of "I have XYZ hp" but run 13s. Just saying...
This is the case around here too. We have a couple procharged Vettes that run 9s and a whole bunch of "lets go to the track and see what it will dos" that don't.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You do have a point there, but please, please don't point fingers at ONLY GM/Chevrolet/Team Corvette for doing that.
Other manufacturers do it as well.
Thank you for saving me a bunch of time. I was about to post something similar. Especially with all of the stuff packed into a steering wheel now, I would imagine any design changes become pretty costly. Why "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now we have derailed to steering wheels?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
What's up with the interior fetishes in here?
these are straight up performance cars, why does it matter so much?
Originally Posted by jmurray87
Because, everyone has to find at least something wrong with a car just to have something to complain about. It's like the Camaro if it were 300lbs lighter and had a far "better" interior pretty sure everyone would have something else to complain about it then.

Just how it goes...for me interior isn't a big issue with a performance car
Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Thank you for saving me a bunch of time. I was about to post something similar. Especially with all of the stuff packed into a steering wheel now, I would imagine any design changes become pretty costly. Why "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Now we have derailed to steering wheels?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Well at least it started out as a good thread...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Other manufacturers do it as well. Yet why don't those same magazines and enthusiasts you speak of ever mention that? A little biased perhaps?
For instance, $105k+ Mercedes SL550 Night Edition using a nearly identical steering wheel as the $34k C250?

$137k+ BMW 760iL:

$28k BMW 128i:

Yes, but as you can see the base model's BMW has a good steering wheel to begin with. I understand that every car maker does share steering wheels but they share if it's the same class of cars. 3-series shares the 3-series, 5 with 5, 7 with 7 and ect. and usually the M cars have something fancier in their cars. The 335 has something above the 328.

To me a 15k budget car cobalt having a same steering wheel as a 120k top of the line The-Best-Performance car GM has ever built is not ok.

And the GT-R has a great interior btw.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Maybe.
But I've seen worse than this, even in some more costly vehicles as well:

Not gonna lie, the centennial corvette's interior is noticeably better looking, and thats mainly because of the suede. To me it's about the material used, not necessarily the finish. If you remember the Crossfire SRT-6, everything about the interior was horrible and terribly cheap except the leather and the suede seats, which I actually liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMcZH-1FEHo

Fast forward to 1:40, and Hammond loves american muscle and is defending the car, even it did great on the lap, but he can't deny the cheapness feel of it.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

chevy poops on ford.....period
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I never understood the complaints about c6 interiors. I think they are pretty damn nice. I actually like that it isn't full of a bunch of ******* fancy wood grain and bullshit like so many praised "luxury" interiors.

Do people hate the Viper interior too? I thought those felt great to sit in as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Do people hate the Viper interior too? I thought those felt great to sit in as well.
Either sarcasm or you don't read around much And nobody is talking lame wood-grain stuff, but higher quality materials being used.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CajunZ28
chevy poops on ford.....period
pre-2003, I would have agreed with you.

Now, I don't
Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gocartone
Either sarcasm or you don't read around much And nobody is talking lame wood-grain stuff, but higher quality materials being used.
^^^ what he said, I never agree with this guy, but it's not the fancyness were speaking of, it's the material quality.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I never understood the complaints about c6 interiors.
People seem to forget the price, class (and point for that matter) of the Corvette when comparing to other cars. They either compare it to cars it performs like (which are about double in price) or luxury cars in its price range than it hands their *** to in all performance aspects. And its usually just the GM haters that do it though, go figure.
Is the C6 interior perfect? Hell no. Would that stop me from buying one? Nope. Is something like the 911's interior have better quality materials? Yep. Would the lack of performance for the price compared to the Corvette stop me from buying it? Yep. Some people like to buy performance cars for their performance, others like the attention.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
People seem to forget the price, class (and point for that matter) of the Corvette when comparing to other cars. They either compare it to cars it performs like (which are about double in price) or luxury cars in its price range than it hands their *** to in all performance aspects. And its usually just the GM haters that do it though, go figure.
Is the C6 interior perfect? Hell no. Would that stop me from buying one? Nope. Is something like the 911's interior have better quality materials? Yep. Would the lack of performance for the price compared to the Corvette stop me from buying it? Yep. Some people like to buy performance cars for their performance, others like the attention.
That kind of thing only comes into play with the caveat "for the money." Since the interior is where you spend your time, there are people that are wiling to either pay more or sacrifice a small amount of performance in order to get an interior that they enjoy spending time in. I love Corvettes as much as the next guy, but I am not going to fault somebody for buying something different. There are always multiple criteria that go into buying a car. And I doubt there are many "GM haters" on this forum.

Quick Reply: Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500