Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only complaint is that they could have gone with a better design and slighter more pleasant materials for the center console and the pieces inside of it.

I'm not expecting anything luxury grade, but the design is quite bland and the center console stuff is hard and dull.

Personally, I think the C5's interior design is nicer, even though the materials used are just as dull.
I just prefer how it seems to wrap around the driver more. The pieces themselves are cheaper than in the C6 though.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True.
Sort of like how some current/2012 GT500 owners might be scared of what the ZL1 will do to their cars when it comes out?
i've never understood why anyone is "scared" of what XXX car will do to their car....unless it was gonna fall on top of it and smash it.

when i was driving my lowly geo prizm, i'd friggin try to run anything that pulled up next to me. in all obviousness i got beaten.....by pretty much everything 'cept a ford tempo.

now that i've got my 012 gt, i don't care if it's another gt, a shelby, z06, zl1.....who the **** cares?!

the actual RACE is the fun part. winning is more fun, but i think you guys know what i mean.

all that being said, i've already ordered the CS front air dam, and a boss splitter for my gt. next will be the brake cooling ducts, and tranny cooler, then i'll look into a diff. cooler.

there shouldn't be any need to tell anyone to add them......common sense should tell em that.

almost forgot.....the dood in the op pic looks like one of the dorks in storage hunters...just not quite as fat.

Last edited by 1ltcap; 01-25-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: 'cause i could.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
My only complaint is that they could have gone with a better design and slighter more pleasant materials for the center console and the pieces inside of it.

I'm not expecting anything luxury grade, but the design is quite bland and the center console stuff is hard and dull.

Personally, I think the C5's interior design is nicer, even though the materials used are just as dull.
I just prefer how it seems to wrap around the driver more. The pieces themselves are cheaper than in the C6 though.
LOL @ this guy, it's good enough for what it is, no idea why you all keep nitpicking at this topic. Besides, if they were to improve the quality of the interior drastically, all it would do is drive the price up, which would take away some from what the Corvette is truly about.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
That kind of thing only comes into play with the caveat "for the money." Since the interior is where you spend your time, there are people that are wiling to either pay more or sacrifice a small amount of performance in order to get an interior that they enjoy spending time in. I love Corvettes as much as the next guy, but I am not going to fault somebody for buying something different. There are always multiple criteria that go into buying a car. And I doubt there are many "GM haters" on this forum.
Exactly! It's not about "GM haters", it's constructive criticism, go to a corvette forum(which I do) and they'll point out the need for the interior improvement.

Some people will sacrifice the couple of tenth of the seconds of performance and will go purchase a CTS-V.

And IMO it's not about bragging, it's about enjoying it for yourself, like when someone tries to lose x amount of weight, not to look better for others, but to be a healthier person... people noticing is the bonus, if that makes since...

In my opinion every car has their issues, unless you spend a pretty penny, which in that case money becomes the issue. GTO: you couldn't fit big tires on it, wheel hop, not so exciting exterior(i didn't mind it). F-body: cheap interior, 10 bolt, window motor.

I think why people point out the Vettes interior a lot because there in a 120k car(not cheap) and it has such an amazing performance that they are shocked when they look around and see the performance is not matched by the interior.

The best way I can explain this, fast forward to 2:28, that's what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRUXsDumrM

Last edited by D3VIL; 01-25-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by D3VIL
The best way I can explain this, fast forward to 2:28, that's what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRUXsDumrM
Garbage can lid!

Well played sir...well played.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Both car r sick, but I'm a chevy guy
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopar baby.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I never understood the complaints about c6 interiors. I think they are pretty damn nice.
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
People seem to forget the price, class (and point for that matter) of the Corvette when comparing to other cars. They either compare it to cars it performs like (which are about double in price) or luxury cars in its price range than it hands their *** to in all performance aspects. And its usually just the GM haters that do it though, go figure.
Is the C6 interior perfect? Hell no. Would that stop me from buying one? Nope. Is something like the 911's interior have better quality materials? Yep. Would the lack of performance for the price compared to the Corvette stop me from buying it? Yep. Some people like to buy performance cars for their performance, others like the attention.
^ This ^
Old 01-26-2012, 02:33 AM
***Repost Police***

Apparently GM thinks it's enough of an issue that they are allegedly making big improvements to it. A nice interior and a decent price/performance ratio don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Apparently GM thinks it's enough of an issue that they are allegedly making big improvements to it. A nice interior and a decent price/performance ratio don't have to be mutually exclusive.
True. Regardless of how much some of like the current one, there are steps being taken as we speak (well, as we type LOL) to make it even better, and I welcome that.

And it doesn't matter how good an interior (or anything for that matter) is, there is always room for improvement. That applies to the interiors of a Corvette or even a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes Benz or whoever.
Same goes for power output, the bar seems to be getting raised a lot lately in that arena as well.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 AM
***Repost Police***

The point I'd like to drive home, is that constructive/realistic criticism should not be construed as "hating." Like I said before, I doubt there are any "GM haters" on this forum. And it is perfectly normal to like/love an imperfect car, it's the denial of those things which make it imperfect that is kinda weird.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

And it is perfectly normal to like/love an imperfect car, it's the denial of those things which make it imperfect that is kinda weird.
Agreed. I know and can admit my car's shortcomings, and I also expect the exact same courtesy/admissions from the Porsche or BMW fan who points fingers at a Corvette's interior as well.
No, my car does not have fine Connolly hide all over it's interior.
And their similarly (or even higher) priced variants can't run low 12s/high 11s and hit almost 190mph bone stock either.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 AM
***Repost Police***

Nope, takes a 911 to run low 12s. But for many, that is more than good enough. A 911S would definitely be on my lotto list of cars, as would a Corvette or two. That post was more directed toward JD, btw.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 AM
10 Second Club

Nope, takes a 911 to run low 12s.
I'm pretty sure it's what you'd meant, but I would think at the very minimum it would take the S model (not the base 911/Carrera) to do it.
The new Carrera S does look like it'll be a pretty strong performer for sure and I do like the idea of that PDK trans.

But for many, that is more than good enough.
Just as for many, the Corvette's interior is good enough as well.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Guess I'm just easy to please. I don't like the squeaky cheap feeling fold down seat back/console in my 99 Silverado...it kinda annoys me.

But I've never noticed anything that feels that cheap or junky in a C6. My point was just when I worked at Circuit City I spent a lot of time checking out cars in the install bay and the European imports were rarely any better built to me on the inside than the decent American cars. Not talking the junk *** stuff like low end Ford or Dodge trucks which seem to be among the worst.

Sometimes it just seems like the trendy thing to bitch about when they can't find a real fault with the car somewhere else.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32

I could care less about interiors 98% of the time, but this guy gets it.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
I could care less about interiors 98% of the time, but this guy gets it.
know what i've found funny when i read reviews of the new gt? it gets/got rave reviews. know what the reviewers almost always complained about though? the lack of a telescoping wheel. i mean....WTF? LOLOLOL
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love the new GT interiors in dark colors. I don't know what it is but the light tan interior looks disgusting and gives off a cheap feel.

I do find it odd the back seats have better bolstering than the front buckets though.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

that's the one thing i like better about my friends 010 camaro. when i sit in the drivers seat, it feels like it kind of hugs me in place. the seat in mine is very comfortable, but it doesn't feel as good as my friends. but then i'm faster, so i'm still happy.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
LOL @ this guy, it's good enough for what it is, no idea why you all keep nitpicking at this topic. Besides, if they were to improve the quality of the interior drastically, all it would do is drive the price up, which would take away some from what the Corvette is truly about.
Im glad somebody else on here gets it...

Originally Posted by D3VIL
Exactly! It's not about "GM haters", it's constructive criticism, go to a corvette forum(which I do) and they'll point out the need for the interior improvement.
Its gone WAY beyond the point of constructive criticism. The corvette forum guy will just shrug and say "yeah sure its not the greatest, whatever, if its not good enough ill just buy some leather wrap etc", where as the haters (generally fanboys of a competing car) will act as if the interior is made of popsicle sticks and cardboard.
One thing I love is how you won't hear anyone say anything about the interior of something like the Elise around the same price range... And before anyone crys "but those are purpose built cars", guess what? So is the Corvette. Think of it as a track car like the Elise, but actually comfortable and built better.

Some people will sacrifice the couple of tenth of the seconds of performance and will go purchase a CTS-V.
When I say performance im not talking about just strait line bs.
I think why people point out the Vettes interior a lot because there in a 120k car(not cheap) and it has such an amazing performance that they are shocked when they look around and see the performance is not matched by the interior.
The people who point out the interior are usually the ones who either own, or are fanboys of the [many] cars it beats, so naturally they need to find something to help them feel better.

Quick Reply: Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500