Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever gone to one of those movies, where they advertised the living hell out of it, so much so that it looked like the best movie ever? and then ya go to that movie, and find out how much it really sucks?
then ya go to a movie that you don't hardly see advertised? and it's friggin great?

you draw the parallel here.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
LOL @ this guy, it's good enough for what it is, no idea why you all keep nitpicking at this topic. Besides, if they were to improve the quality of the interior drastically, all it would do is drive the price up, which would take away some from what the Corvette is truly about.

Sigh...

I'm not nitpicking.
For christ's sake, I'm in the market for an FRC C5.
I fully know what to expect interior wise.

All I was saying is that it could be slightly improved.
Softer plastics, more sporty design.
This would not drive up the price...
Is that so much to ask for?

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
I could care less about interiors 98% of the time, but this guy gets it.
Thank you.

I don't care about brushed metal, wood, and leather in a sports car.
It's nice, but unnecessary.

That doesn't mean I want hard dull plastics and a boring design though.
Design in particular. Anything that enhances the driving experience (driver focus) is an obvious plus.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im glad somebody else on here gets it...

Its gone WAY beyond the point of constructive criticism. The corvette forum guy will just shrug and say "yeah sure its not the greatest, whatever, if its not good enough ill just buy some leather wrap etc", where as the haters (generally fanboys of a competing car) will act as if the interior is made of popsicle sticks and cardboard.
One thing I love is how you won't hear anyone say anything about the interior of something like the Elise around the same price range... And before anyone crys "but those are purpose built cars", guess what? So is the Corvette. Think of it as a track car like the Elise, but actually comfortable and built better.

When I say performance im not talking about just strait line bs.

The people who point out the interior are usually the ones who either own, or are fanboys of the [many] cars it beats, so naturally they need to find something to help them feel better.
I think you just can't stand the fact that there are completely valid reasons that somebody wouldn't buy a Corvette. Your over-use of the word "fanboy" kinda points to that. Perhaps I'm thinking of somebody else, but were you the one who said they had made their interior as nice as an M3 a couple years ago?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

ZL1 owns most every car in the world for autocross day. if that's the measure it rules. IMO. on street tires, im almost 100 percent sure the ZL1 will rule at the strip.

if its drag radials at the track, the low to mid 10's the 2013 GT500 will run is going to be hard to beat. 0-60mph in first gear. launch control.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Im glad somebody else on here gets it...

Its gone WAY beyond the point of constructive criticism. The corvette forum guy will just shrug and say "yeah sure its not the greatest, whatever, if its not good enough ill just buy some leather wrap etc", where as the haters (generally fanboys of a competing car) will act as if the interior is made of popsicle sticks and cardboard.
One thing I love is how you won't hear anyone say anything about the interior of something like the Elise around the same price range... And before anyone crys "but those are purpose built cars", guess what? So is the Corvette. Think of it as a track car like the Elise, but actually comfortable and built better.

When I say performance im not talking about just strait line bs.

The people who point out the interior are usually the ones who either own, or are fanboys of the [many] cars it beats, so naturally they need to find something to help them feel better.
The elise is a toy, I feel sorry for anyone that would drive it as a daily driver, even though I'm sure it can since it's a toyota engine. And interior isn't it's only problem, it's super loud and has harnesses(not comfy) and the ride is super stiff. It's a big-boy go kart pretty much, perfect for weekend drive at the canyons. Corvette on the other hand can get 28-30 mpg on the hwy and is quite comfortable, so for people that do DD it and commute with it(I know 2 people personally), it is nice if interior matched the quality.

And like someone else said, it's obviously something big enough that GM has heard it over and over again and has said that they are making major upgrades.

And I'm not hating, I'm saying the exact same things as corvette forum members, go to the C7 section and you'll see what's on top of the list on everyone's wishlist of improvements, the interior. If I was hating I'd say "screw this, I'm getting a CTS-V" but I'm not, this upcoming summer I wish to upgrade from my f-body to a C5 because it does so many things well, but the interior is just one of those "I wish..." type of category.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32

Sigh...

I'm not nitpicking.
For christ's sake, I'm in the market for an FRC C5.
I fully know what to expect interior wise.

All I was saying is that it could be slightly improved.
Softer plastics, more sporty design.
This would not drive up the price...
Is that so much to ask for?

You're complaining about the quality and design of plastics in a car that's able to whoop up on other cars that's twice it's price, I'd say that's nitpicking dude.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
You're complaining about the quality and design of plastics in a car that's able to whoop up on other cars that's twice it's price, I'd say that's nitpicking dude.
You just don't get it.

I'm saying the interior could be improved without effecting cost.
And such an improvement would be nice, as it could enhance the driving experience.
Do you agree?

Yes, or no?

Dude...
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
You just don't get it.

I'm saying the interior could be improved without effecting cost.
And such an improvement would be nice, as it could enhance the driving experience.
Do you agree?

Yes, or no?

Dude...
I don't think he understand the difference between nitpicking and constructive criticism.

Nitpicking is if I were to point out how the corvette's cupholder sucks... one specific thing. And forming your entire opinion on the cupholder alone.

Saying the entire interior needs to be rethought out, it's a different story, it's one of the 3 major categories of the car(imo), engine(power), exterior(looks), and interior(comfortable and pleasing to be in, where you spend most your time at).
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, what I don't understand or get is why you all dwell on interiors so much, especially in something like a Corvette, you all seriously need to get real. The car has SAT NAV, leather, climate control, power everything, etc., etc., I would say that's good enough for a reasonably priced world-class sports car like a Corvette. If you want a perfectly laid out fancy interior, then you should be looking at a different type of car. That is never what the Corvette has been about.

My Dad has an '07 Z51 6-speed coupe and after driving that car around for a little while, I honestly can't see why anyone who likes and appreciates performance cars could complain.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
***Repost Police***

It's not complaining . I guess you think the designers at Chevrolet are just wasting their time improving the interior, huh?

Last edited by Irunelevens; 01-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did I say Chevy is wasting their time by improving the Corvette's interior? That's great that they're doing that, because it's not up to par compared to a lot of it's competitors interior's and it never has been, I never said it was perfect, but it's perfectly fine for what it is. Look at the price and performance when compared to the cars it competes with, that is what truly matters to me when it comes to performance oriented cars. They put effort into the right places with it, which is the powertrain, chassis, and suspension design. As long as it's strong in all of those categories, I don't have many bad words about it at all.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 PM
***Repost Police***

Glad you're satisfied with it, but you're not their target customer. Those people have told Chevrolet they want a better interior, and they didn't just pull that out of their assess. And GM is listening... I'm very happy they are no longer satisfied with resting on their laurels.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Teching In

I don't see how all this factory zl1 vs gt500 matters. Anyone that can afford these cars and actually race them will NOT leave them stock. The winner is going to be which car responds better to a certain amount of mods.
Even then it doesn't really matter because there are thousands of modified cars and trucks out there built for less than half the price of these cars that will *** rape both of them in a straight line and around corners. If I paid 60,000 for a car it better run 8's in the 1/4 and bring me breakfast in bed every morning.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we please stop talking about ******* vette interiors. Get a ******* grip.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

The interior police says.......

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think you just can't stand the fact that there are completely valid reasons that somebody wouldn't buy a Corvette. Your over-use of the word "fanboy" kinda points to that.
No, I don't care at all honestly, even if it was a valid reason (the type of person that wouldn't buy the Corvette solely "because of the interior" is the same type of person that wouldn't buy it no matter what- they would find another excuse if the interior was perfect).
If someone doesn't like the car and doesn't want to buy it then so be it, I couldn't care less.

Perhaps I'm thinking of somebody else, but were you the one who said they had made their interior as nice as an M3 a couple years ago?
Thats definitely not me...
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 69chevelleSS
I don't see how all this factory zl1 vs gt500 matters. Anyone that can afford these cars and actually race them will NOT leave them stock. The winner is going to be which car responds better to a certain amount of mods.
No, if you put it that way the winner will be the owner with the deeper pockets
Even then it doesn't really matter because there are thousands of modified cars and trucks out there built for less than half the price of these cars that will *** rape both of them in a straight line and around corners. If I paid 60,000 for a car it better run 8's in the 1/4 and bring me breakfast in bed every morning.

Just my two cents...
Do those modded cars come with a factory warranty?
In this case $60K buys you an out of the box car that has been put through its paces hard and guaranteed to last (warranty), and with all the extra options and gadgets to boot.
For $60K you're not building a reliable 8 second car that passes emissions and drives on the street well, pretty bad argument.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
***Repost Police***

No, I don't care at all honestly, even if it was a valid reason (the type of person that wouldn't buy the Corvette solely "because of the interior" is the same type of person that wouldn't buy it no matter what- they would find another excuse if the interior was perfect).
If someone doesn't like the car and doesn't want to buy it then so be it, I couldn't care less.

Thats definitely not me...
Ok. You're entitled to your opinion.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Couldn't agree more about the people that don't buy it "just because of the interior."

I would still buy a C5 or C6, I'm looking for one as it is.
I just think the car would be even greater if it DID have a great interior.
As long as it doesn't add weight or cost.

Enhancing the driving experience and whatnot in any way is always nice.

My ideal corvette is a C6 grand sport with a two tone caravaggio interior.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow after about the 4th page this thread went waay off track!

This thread is simply bench racing between a 2012 ZL1 Camaro vs 2013 Mustang GT500. Nobody will truly know which is faster, better etc until they both can be tested together.

Waaay too many variables to predict the outcome but just from the advertised specs of both cars. Most true racers know it's real world laws of physics that can't be denied and that is usually less weight and more horsepower/ torque usually wins. Gearing, suspension, traction, aerodymanics and how the power is put down is the only variable that has yet to be determined.

Both cars will be a phenomenal piece of mechinery! I'm a GM enthusiast at heart but I'd have no problem rocking either car! Let FORD vs CHEVY wars continue!!!

Quick Reply: Camaro Chief Engineer on the LSA ZL1 vs 2013 5.8L GT500