Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 test video *better driver*

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
It doesn't look the a DCT will make it into the Vette (a mistake, I think), so there is no chance of it showing up in the Camaro.
We don't know that just yet, too soon to tell...but I agree that even if the C7 does debut with a DCT/SMG trans that there is still little chance of it finding it's way into the Camaro line any time soon.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gocartone
And the current GT500 motor is better (pretty sure anyway, I haven't seen any ZR1s putting down GT500 numbers for power on the stock block)
I'm pretty sure that one of the older iron block GT500 motors has probably eclipsed the 1000rwhp mark on a stock bottom end already ...one of the highest stock bottom end LS9s that I know of has made 885hp (at the crank at least) but I thought I'd heard of one making that much (or more?) at the wheels as well. Not sure.
Even the CTS-V's LSA (essentially a ZL1 motor) has safely made well over 700rwhp on it's stock bottom end.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

don't you guys get it? both cars are incredible. it's gonna be a drivers race between them.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
don't you guys get it? both cars are incredible. it's gonna be a drivers race between them.
Agreed.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, can you drive down to the dealership, buy one, and then drive it home? No. It isn't any more out than the 2013 GT500 is right now.
So pricing, production, options/brochures, and the ability to go pay for one right now has nothing to do with the car being available?

I'd consider those steps incredibly necessary to a car "being out"

You may not be able to go to a dealership and buy one/take it home the same day right now, but i'd say the ZL1 is a little more "out" than the 2013 GT500, which last I knew didn't even have a production start date or pricing yet. They're going to hit dealerships within a few weeks. Early march at the latest...

I almost bet they'll be in showrooms before the 13 GT500 has pricing.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 02-08-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im guessing your talking about the 2012 gt500 right? Because if it comes down to a drivers race for the zl1 and the new gt500 then that will be a sad day for ford guys everywhere.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by firebird99
Im guessing your talking about the 2012 gt500 right? Because if it comes down to a drivers race for the zl1 and the new gt500 then that will be a sad day for ford guys everywhere.
I think it's going to be a lot closer than people are giving credit to.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
this.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Doubt it, the current GT500 and the ZL1 are a close drivers race. Add 100hp and everything else and it's going to be an *** kicking, although I'm sure the huge 2sec gap the ZL1 had on the Boss LS is going to be a tiny 4-5sec gap behind the GT500 If it was going to be close GM wouldn't be trying to down talk the GT500 so much, or bench racing a car that's not even out yet by running virtual tests on a car they haven't had their hands on; that's what someone does when they already know they lost.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

Doubt it, the current GT500 and the ZL1 are a close drivers race. Add 100hp and everything else and it's going to be an *** kicking, although I'm sure the huge 2sec gap the ZL1 had on the Boss LS is going to be a tiny 4-5sec gap behind the GT500 If it was going to be close GM wouldn't be trying to down talk the GT500 so much, or bench racing a car that's not even out yet by running virtual tests on a car they haven't had their hands on; that's what someone does when they already know they lost.
This ^^
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

bolded.....NOW you're gettin it!!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I completely understand people's skepticism, but it isn't enough for me to just give the win to the '13 GT500 just yet. While HP is a part of road racing, it's definitely not the entire formula.

The ZL1 suspension/tires/IRS is definitely something to take note of. I haven't seen anything on the side of the GT500 that seems very revolutionary or really all that impressive besides the motor.

Remember, we're talking 285 street tires on a solid axel with 650hp on the Gt500. That seems like an odd match to me.

Take a look at the Boss LS, it weighs less, has a roll cage, more power per pound than the ZL1 iirc, and the whole car is engineered for road racing. The ZL1 beat it, and before you say "well the ZL1 has X more horsepower", take a look at where the experts at the track said that the cars didn't even get to use most of their HP at the track, and that the HP difference wasn't of massive significance. That race wasn't won on horsepower alone, and it definitely wasn't won by weight.

To outperform the ZL1 in the same fashion than the ZL1 outperformed the Boss LS, the GT500 will have to absolutely embarrass the Boss LS, which is currently Ford's purpose engineered road track car.

Ford obviously has the power/motor for a stiff competition which isn't debatable, but we'll see if they can provide the complete package.

I am not saying the ZL1 is a clear cut winner over the '13 GT500...I am saying, in my opinion, it will be closer than people will expect between the two. I'm just looking at the facts, not trying to be biased.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea FINALLY someone who knows wtf their doing. Not some bull **** 13 second pass! Smh... Can't wait to see this thing with DR on
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

I completely understand people's skepticism, but it isn't enough for me to just give the win to the '13 GT500 just yet. While HP is a part of road racing, it's definitely not the entire formula.

The ZL1 suspension/tires/IRS is definitely something to take note of. I haven't seen anything on the side of the GT500 that seems very revolutionary or really all that impressive besides the motor.

Remember, we're talking 285 street tires on a solid axel with 650hp on the Gt500. That seems like an odd match to me.

Take a look at the Boss LS, it weighs less, has a roll cage, more power per pound than the ZL1 iirc, and the whole car is engineered for road racing. The ZL1 beat it, and before you say "well the ZL1 has X more horsepower", take a look at where the experts at the track said that the cars didn't even get to use most of their HP at the track, and that the HP difference wasn't of massive significance. That race wasn't won on horsepower alone, and it definitely wasn't won by weight.

To outperform the ZL1 in the same fashion than the ZL1 outperformed the Boss LS, the GT500 will have to absolutely embarrass the Boss LS, which is currently Ford's purpose engineered road track car.

Ford obviously has the power/motor for a stiff competition which isn't debatable, but we'll see if they can provide the complete package.

I am not saying the ZL1 is a clear cut winner over the '13 GT500...I am saying, in my opinion, it will be closer than people will expect between the two. I'm just looking at the facts, not trying to be biased.
the LS doesn'thave a cage.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

At least you got the important part of that post.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Excuse me, ***rear seat delete and "cross bracing"
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Excuse me, ***rear seat delete and "cross bracing"
cross bracing does not a roll cage make.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

The experts made the ~1mph the ZL1 had on the Boss in a couple of the corners seem like a big deal. Did you look at the track they raced on? They were definitely getting to use all that extra horsepower, and the Boss has close to an extra pound per horsepower compared to the ZL1. The '13 GT500 is going to have a little more than a pound less per horsepower than the ZL1, and is going to out handle the current one I'm sure. I have yet to see any track data showing the Boss LS beating the current GT500 around a track; the only one I saw was a tighter track and the GT500 took the win.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

cross bracing does not a roll cage make.
And still the rest of that post went right over your head.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im gonna lay my money down on the new gt500 at the strip but for the road course i think that the zl1 will have it.I also feel that ford has not given us any stats yet because they were caught off guard will the performance of the heavy zl1 and maybe they had to makes so new tweaks to make sure they come out on top if not then they why havent they coughed up anything like they always do because we normally have these kinda of stats way before the cars come out now they only have like 2 or 3 months and still nothing come on ford im a GM guy and im dieing to see whats up give ii to us NOW...

Quick Reply: ZL1 test video *better driver*