Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

C&D - 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 392 HEMI Super Bee

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

And to add to that, to insinuate that a second burn on the "power" stroke is beneficial for power just shows you have a low working knowledge of how a combustion engine actually works. While modern day electronic ignitions may fire bursts of spark on the plug to create a more complete burn, to think that one completely different spark for a completely different plug from some other point in time then the standard ignition timing event would create magical previously unlocked hp is downright ridiculous. Remember, internal combustion engines have been in production 100+ years. This is just another engine, Dodge isn't creating miracles here.

“In the 1980s Japanese manufacturers reduced unburned hydrocarbons by placing spark plugs either in the exhaust pipe (which fired with every piston ignition) or in the exhaust manifold (which fired each time their corresponding cylinder fired). Chrysler morphed this idea to include dual fired plugs on each cylinder, which allows the firing to take place closer to top dead center, and then again when the piston is on the back side of the power stroke.” (Gemmel , 2012)

Gemmel , M. (2012, April 16). Srt v8 engines: 6.1 and 6.4 (392) v8s. Retrieved from http://www.allpar.com/mopar/SRT-V8.html

The secondary spark plugs are specifically used to complete the burn of unburnt hydrocarbons in the combustion cycle before a catalytic converter is needed. It claims that some power is added, "but not very much". How much is not very much is debatable, but I would wager a guess that two is better then one especially when the engine reaches the upper ranges of the RPM band and incomplete combustion is more likely to happen.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for posting that. Proves what I was trying to say. Emissions.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

. But, it's funny how you aren't comparing c.i.s here. Don't pick on our lonely old 346....it's still holding its own in that respect.
I'm not comparing cubic inches because it's not worth mentioning. The HEMI has the LS1 outgunned. A bolt-on LS1 would not be competitive and you would have to do a thorough Heads/Cam to an LS1 to eclipse the performance margin of the 6.4 litre HEMI. Even then, a punched out LS1 would not hit the 6.4 litre mark.

The HEMI has it matched on displacement, total HP and Torque, HP and Torque under the curve, engine architecture and design, and flow figures.

The heads flow 270 CFM at .600 inches of lift. By comparison, stock LS1 heads flowed 230 CFM at .600 and LS6 heads flowed 257 CFM at .600

It just makes power and a lot of it. The fact that it's stuck in a 4200+ lbs Charger will not be the magical equalizer.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for posting that. Proves what I was trying to say. Emissions.
Did you even read the article? It used to be for emissions. Chrysler morphed the idea to include two power cycles on one downward stroke. One spark plug fires at top dead center, the second spark plug fires on the downward stroke.

That's specifically to create power, with the reduction of NOX emissions being secondary.

Do you honestly think that setup is not going to create power?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the look, would buy. 43k is a tad pricey and I disagree with the last statement from the article....

The base price: $43,450, including the guzzler tax.

"Does that sound like a lot? Well, yes. But it’s less than the standard Charger SRT8. If you’re still reluctant, check the bids for original muscle cars on a couple televised auctions, think about it, and then get back to us"

What a freakin joke. This a NEW car with built in depreciation, those cars have actually held value and appreciated. IF there is even gasoline 40 years from now and I still have the car, we will see what it's worth. Also never mind the factor Mopars are so unique based on the variations of options and the hardcore following that statement is a little off. 43k is high for most people, those who can afford a 43k fun car are not 16 to 30 year olds... unless you deal drugs or something.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Do you honestly think that setup is not going to create power?
A single plug ignition can create the exact same power output. Period. If I'm lying to you go ask the guys running 6s in the 1/4 on just 8 plugs.

I'm not comparing cubic inches because it's not worth mentioning. The HEMI has the LS1 outgunned. A bolt-on LS1 would not be competitive and you would have to do a thorough Heads/Cam to an LS1 to eclipse the performance margin of the 6.4 litre HEMI. Even then, a punched out LS1 would not hit the 6.4 litre mark.

The HEMI has it matched on displacement, total HP and Torque, HP and Torque under the curve, engine architecture and design, and flow figures.

The heads flow 270 CFM at .600 inches of lift. By comparison, stock LS1 heads flowed 230 CFM at .600 and LS6 heads flowed 257 CFM at .600

It just makes power and a lot of it. The fact that it's stuck in a 4200+ lbs Charger will not be the magical equalizer.
Are you on crack? 6.4 liter compared to 5.7? 392 compared to 346. Its simple, by your math, lets do a 6.0 LQ stroked to 402 (10 c.i. difference) and give me a stock ported casting of similar cfm. LQ makes more power, period. And with only 8 plugs to change during tune-ups. Hey tell you what, go look up 5.7 Hemi numbers then get back to us.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

This is turning into a stock vs modded thread.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dodge--- maker of republican flagships....complete disregard to global warming not even an attempt to be efficient...in any way shape or form. The pinnacle of american arrogance and stupidity coupled with no ingenuity.

They should have sold off the Challenger's rights to any other manuf and it would of been far more car than to just look at.

It's remarkable how this company survives. Clearly it does not deserve to.

A pig with a bloated heart. I'd pay maybe 9 grand for that pos.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Dodge--- maker of republican flagships....complete disregard to global warming not even an attempt to be efficient...in any way shape or form. The pinnacle of american arrogance and stupidity coupled with no ingenuity.

They should have sold off the Challenger's rights to any other manuf and it would of been far more car than to just look at.

It's remarkable how this company survives. Clearly it does not deserve to.

A pig with a bloated heart. I'd pay maybe 9 grand for that pos.
This is a discussion about a special edition of a V8 performance sedan. If you're concerned about global warming and MPGs, the Prius forums are here. They may frown on your owning an F-body though.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriShield
This is turning into a stock vs modded thread.
yea....sorry......didn't mean to take part in that in one of your threads. i'm out.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not comparing cubic inches because it's not worth mentioning. The HEMI has the LS1 outgunned. A bolt-on LS1 would not be competitive and you would have to do a thorough Heads/Cam to an LS1 to eclipse the performance margin of the 6.4 litre HEMI.
Wait wait wait, am I reading this right? You need a "thorough heads/cam" LS1 to eclipse 470 fly wheel hp (~400rwhp)??? Cam only LS1s can make 400RWHP no sweat....
"Thorough" H/C/I LS1's are making well over 500RWHP...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Launching!

15 years after the release of the LS1, I would hope the 392 has it out gunned.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A single plug ignition can create the exact same power output. Period. If I'm lying to you go ask the guys running 6s in the 1/4 on just 8 plugs.

Are you on crack? 6.4 liter compared to 5.7? 392 compared to 346. Its simple, by your math, lets do a 6.0 LQ stroked to 402 (10 c.i. difference) and give me a stock ported casting of similar cfm. LQ makes more power, period. And with only 8 plugs to change during tune-ups. Hey tell you what, go look up 5.7 Hemi numbers then get back to us.
How many F-Bodies came with 6.0 litres?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
15 years after the release of the LS1, I would hope the 392 has it out gunned.
Apparently, bolt on auto LS1's would make short work of the 392 all day every day.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Apparently, bolt on auto LS1's would make short work of the 392 all day every day.
I was talking about the motors stock vs stock in response to the horsepower, torque, and head flow numbers you posted.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was talking about the motors stock vs stock in response to the horsepower, torque, and head flow numbers you posted.
Correction. By stock you mean full bolt ons for the LS1 and stock for the Dodge 392.

By stock flow numbers you mean a punched out 6.0 with Dart Heads flowing in excess of 350 CFM versus the stock 392 heads.

And really, when were comparing any GM engine to any other engine, were really talking about the most potent punched out radical head cam combination engine ever produced versus the stock to the paper air filter example for another auto manufacturer.

Its okay, we get it.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Correction. By stock you mean full bolt ons for the LS1 and stock for the Dodge 392.

By stock flow numbers you mean a punched out 6.0 with Dart Heads flowing in excess of 350 CFM versus the stock 392 heads.

And really, when were comparing any GM engine to any other engine, were really talking about the most potent punched out radical head cam combination engine ever produced versus the stock to the paper air filter example for another auto manufacturer.

Its okay, we get it.
You sure flew off the handle. Calm down and take a deep breathe. It will be ok. Maybe it will only take Chrysler 14 years to outgun the next gen SBC.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You sure flew off the handle. Calm down and take a deep breathe. It will be ok. Maybe it will only take Chrysler 14 years to outgun the next gen SBC.
Somehow, I get the feeling that 14 years from now people will still be using the LS1 as the measuring stick for modern day performance.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, a bolt-on LS1 would definitely give this car a hard time. Mid 12 second times are very, very possible with a bolt-on LS1, a H/C LS1 wouldn't even be a fair race. This Charger makes tons of power, but the weight and sheer mass of this thing is what really hurts it. Still a very nice car regardless though.

Somehow, I get the feeling that 14 years from now people will still be using the LS1 as the measuring stick for modern day performance.
Might very well be in some cases It's still a killer platform even to this day
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

Quick Reply: C&D - 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 392 HEMI Super Bee