Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

C&D - 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 392 HEMI Super Bee

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I wonder if all bees can see the same shade of yellow, and if they even know they're yellow...
i wonder why people will say something like "i'll make a bee-line to the shop.

you ever seen a bee fly?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i wonder why people will say something like "i'll make a bee-line to the shop.

you ever seen a bee fly?
Yeah and to think, there's a road in Florida call "The BEE LINE highway" which is essentially straight! There's also the same basic name for roads in both Alabama and Arizona... Florida also has "The Beeline Expressway" to the north of the highway... figure that out!

Bees fly all over the place, as if they're lost. Then, they turn around and retrace the entire route to find their way back home!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
ya know the ONLY cars that've tried playing with me in the gt so far?(and it's probably better, 'cause with only 1600 miles, i still don't wanna beat on it too much)
a MILF in an infinity.....didn't take much at all to play the stay out front game
a goofball in a turbo-diesel mercedes. took a little less than the infinity.
a goofball just the other night in a 05-09 bodystyle mustang. with a ******* SIX cylinder. i STILL don't know exactly what the hell he was trying to do. i was cruising at 80....as i was passing him, he accelerated just enough to not let me pass at that speed. after a few seconds, he pulled a couple cars up, and was going away, so i figured he just decided to go faster. next thing ya know, he's dropping back, and pacing me now. so i took it out of od, and ran her up to 110, was nearly a quarter mile in front, and went back to normal cruise mode.
here he comes, pulls up in back of me, and stays about 4 cars back for about 10 miles. then he flies by me. a couple miles up the road, i'm still doing my 80, but here i am catching him again. i went by him, while i was still only doing 80, as he lost speed going up a hill for the overpass.

i guess he felt good that he passed a v8 car.
That's great! I've had two 4.6 3valve mustang gt's with various mods go down, 1 2011 5.0 that was a dead heat and 1 1998 Trans Am owned by a buddy of mine where we 'raced'. We were just messing around because neither of us could hook and we didn't want to chance a cop sitting on the street.

All the cars just rev but don't do anything are everything from riced out civics to 80 somethings monte carlo with a v8 camming and exhaust with 20-something plus inch rims.

No 392 Dodge, no newer 5th gens, most mustang guys or vettes are to be found when I bring the SS out. Odd.....
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
My car with 100 less hp would keep up or win all else being equal i.e. tires. With 470hp, an f-body would stomp that car at EVERYTHING except interior or ride quality stuff. But, it's funny how you aren't comparing c.i.s here. Don't pick on our lonely old 346....it's still holding its own in that respect.

And the dual plug design has been around 20 years, yep 20 years ago Ford was doing it, actual Nissan was too a little before that I think. Its for emissions you dope. Not for power. Know what you're talking about before you rattle off.

And to add to that, to insinuate that a second burn on the "power" stroke is beneficial for power just shows you have a low working knowledge of how a combustion engine actually works. While modern day electronic ignitions may fire bursts of spark on the plug to create a more complete burn, to think that one completely different spark for a completely different plug from some other point in time then the standard ignition timing event would create magical previously unlocked hp is downright ridiculous. Remember, internal combustion engines have been in production 100+ years. This is just another engine, Dodge isn't creating miracles here.
All else equal? That would mean that your F-body has to weigh 4,2xx lbs.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Obviously weights of the chassis I consider a fixed amount, i.e. stock. Meaning that big nice inflated hp number really doesn't directly translate into ETs. I was illustrating if these two cars theoretically lined up and one car had a sticky tire, the other would get the same. Win going the f-body with less hp all else being equal.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Teching In

As a guy with 3 kids...unable to justify a two door without feeling guilty...and unable to afford 3 cars...it's appealing. I wish it was 4k and under in weight.

Nowdays I have an 06 Charger R/T 5.7 , 36k miles on it, no options, currently and for a family sedan with an eye towards decent performance it meets our needs. I wish I had more options from Chevrolet or Ford, for that matter, as far as rwd sedans. This replaced my less streetable drag truck and I don't feel so bad about it now. Best I can muster with a diablo tune, DR's, and an open diff is 2.1 60ft. 13.86 at 1100ft. Eh...it's still nice.

The price for that "Super Bee" is still too high imo. It should at least be available for under 40k, keeping LSD and why no aluminum block yet? These things need to lose weight and losing weight off the nose would be even better for those of us who drag race. Maybe they'll shrink the platform, go to that 8sp auto for less rpm drop between shifts, and get that aluminum block in there.

And...why do I only have one post showing? lol Member since 04 but haven't gotten on in a LONG time.

Thought I heard Chevy was going to put out rwd sedan? Is that a go?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Just in case it hasn't been clarified, a slightly bolt on ls1 can easily beat the 392 in the 1/4, I had 4 mods done, Nittos, lid, catback and a converter, low 12s all day with an ls1 intake. No where near full bolt on.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Just in case it hasn't been clarified, a slightly bolt on ls1 can easily beat the 392 in the 1/4, I had 4 mods done, Nittos, lid, catback and a converter, low 12s all day with an ls1 intake. No where near full bolt on.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
yes it is
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

yes it is
100% irrelevant, but cool... How does a totally stock LS1 fare? Consider the realities here... IF you can.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
100% irrelevant, but cool... How does a totally stock LS1 fare? Consider the realities here... IF you can.
I only posted that because someone in this thread mentioned that it would take a full bolt on ls1 to take out that charger in the 1/4.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I only posted that because someone in this thread mentioned that it would take a full bolt on ls1 to take out that charger in the 1/4.
True, but it's probably always best to quote the actual post you're referring to as it can help reduce some confusion and avoid any potential relevancy issues once a thread gets to be multiple pages long.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, but it's probably always best to quote the actual post you're referring to as it can help reduce some confusion and avoid any potential relevancy issues once a thread gets to be multiple pages long.
Yeah that was my fault, I read the first page but didn't see that the thread got this long.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this "LS1 vs. everything else" debate will never end. Until the ATS-V comes out next year and sets the new benchmark for GM performance sedans that is

420+HP/TQ through a 6speed auto/manual and a ~3600lb. curb weight. With all the safety and technology you could ever want to boot. Yes, I know the Vette will always be the king but that's in a different category. Apples to apples would be Viper vs. Vette.. since we're talking 4 doors here, the ATS-V is going to destroy anything in its path from Mopar and Ford. The alpha platform is going to dishout GM ***-kickings all over the place just like the good old days of the 98-02 LS1s
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
this "LS1 vs. everything else" debate will never end. Until the ATS-V comes out next year and sets the new benchmark for GM performance sedans that is
You ARE kidding, right? I mean, we've seen newer, better LS series engines offering much better results for a friggin' decade already. There are already SEVERAL cars that offer more than the supposed upcoming ATS, which, from what I've read, won't even have a V8 available. The CTS-V is plenty, but there's also the ZL1 and ZO6 and ZR1... Further, the Camro SS is available with more power already. None of the aforementioned cars has an LS1 and all are more powerful, etc.

420+HP/TQ through a 6speed auto/manual and a ~3600lb. curb weight. With all the safety and technology you could ever want to boot. Yes, I know the Vette will always be the king but that's in a different category. Apples to apples would be Viper vs. Vette.. since we're talking 4 doors here, the ATS-V is going to destroy anything in its path from Mopar and Ford. The alpha platform is going to dishout GM ***-kickings all over the place just like the good old days of the 98-02 LS1s
Are Ford and/or Dodge even offering a car in the class?

If GM offers the twin turbo V6, it will be great for the buyer. Personally, I'd need a whole bunch more reason to choose the ATS over the CTS.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
I'm not comparing cubic inches because it's not worth mentioning. The HEMI has the LS1 outgunned. A bolt-on LS1 would not be competitive and you would have to do a thorough Heads/Cam to an LS1 to eclipse the performance margin of the 6.4 litre HEMI. Even then, a punched out LS1 would not hit the 6.4 litre mark.

The HEMI has it matched on displacement, total HP and Torque, HP and Torque under the curve, engine architecture and design, and flow figures.

The heads flow 270 CFM at .600 inches of lift. By comparison, stock LS1 heads flowed 230 CFM at .600 and LS6 heads flowed 257 CFM at .600

It just makes power and a lot of it. The fact that it's stuck in a 4200+ lbs Charger will not be the magical equalizer.
This is inaccurate data. The 270CFM you speak of is from the 1st gen 5.7 hemi head which is no longer used. The new 5.7 eagle head flows 300@600 lift that is on all the RTs and current trucks. The 6.1 on the old srts and flows similar to the eagle. The 392 carries the new "apache" head that flows 330-340. It has been ported out to 400cfm. It's a steal at the current price from Mopar, but it does need a big cube motor to show its full potential.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that a lot. Can't afford a new one. Wish it had a manual tranny option. Wish it was available with 18" wheels. Other than that, Winner!! I'd totally make that a daily driver with a decent exhaust and maybe a shift kit if they make one and a more performance oriented torque convertor.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Great looking cars in person. I tried racing one on the highway after work yesterday not having a clue what they run. I'm a Chevy guy but i'm happy to see Dodge make some performers because i'm sick of racing Mustang GT's.

To clarify the two plugs per cylinder issue. This has been done at least since the 1930's on Radial and all Reciprocating engines. Cessna is not an engine manufacture so they haven't been doing it for years lol. They do however have Lycoming and Continental Horizontally Opposed engines that all have them. They also have two Magnetos that provide the spark which is a self contained system which creates its own circuit not needing an alternator. In aviation they use dual plugs for redundancy so in case one magneto happens to fail in flight, the other will continue to operate the engine sufficiently until it lands. It does however also provide a power increase. When performing a ground run you do a magneto check. You shut off one magneto around 1200-1500 rpms and look for a slight RPM drop. Typically an engine will drop anywhere from 50-150 rpms before slightly rising back up. That is whats accecptable

Who has an article about how Hemi utilizes the dual spark plugs? Someone mentioned that they fire one at TDC and one after TDC. That means the timing is COMPLETELY retarded lol. I could see one firing at 25 degrees BTDC and one 5-10 degrees BTDC.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to know how that works too.

Quick Reply: C&D - 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 392 HEMI Super Bee