TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500

The Brawny Mustang Takes on the Brainy Camaro

By Mike Monticello, Road Test Editor | Published Jun 25, 2012

"This is stupid."

"I'm going to die for sure."

"Is this really a Chevy?"

Those are the thoughts that go through your mind when you floor the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 through a turn on a racetrack. But just then, the Camaro's Performance Traction Management (PTM) system works its magic, allowing a small amount of slip on corner exit while emitting an audible stutter that lets you know it has all that torque under control. Once you trust it, the Camaro becomes a track weapon that you have to experience to believe.

The 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 delivers its own special kind of death threats. Its 662 horsepower will launch you into corners so fast that a space shuttle's worth of computers wouldn't be able to save you. It demands respect and requires skill to contain, but if you deliver both it will catapult you from corner to corner like a Top Fuel dragster that grew some real front wheels.

Why Take Them to the Track?

If you've been following this battle on Inside Line, then you know the Shelby drop-kicked the ZL1 right off the dyno, producing a whopping 98 more horsepower than the Bowtie Boys at its rear wheels.

In our instrumented testing, the Mustang (base price $54,995) was the drag strip king, while the Camaro (base price $56,295) woke up from its nap and took the handling segments. Then we took these two beasts on our favorite mountain road, where the ZL1 simply "dropped trou" on the Shelby, as Senior Editor Josh Jacquot so eloquently put it.

So what happens when these two symbols of hairy-chested Americana square up mirror-to-mirror on a racetrack? Well, tires get vaporized, brake rotors burn red and the real personality of each car becomes crystal-clear. That's why we spent a day lapping the Streets of Willow in these two frighteningly powerful pony cars. Here's what we learned.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Best Lap: 1:25.57

The ZL1 is a car in which you feel instantly comfortable. You can start pounding around with impunity from the first sighting lap. Why? For one, its electric-assist steering is superb, with excellent feel and proper weighting. Combine that with those wide tires and magnetic dampers and this car has plenty of grip, always going exactly where you point it and staying planted.

The brakes didn't disappoint either, with a firm pedal that remained that way throughout our hot lapping. There's also less dive and more control when entering turns quickly compared to the Mustang that gives you the confidence to mash on the Camaro's brakes at the last second.

The ZL1's shifter is also superb. Not just because of its sexy suede covering, but because the short lever slides precisely and easily into the next gear every time, unlike the Shelby's linkage which is at times balky and requires a heavier hand. This is especially important for the Camaro driver, because its shorter gearing requires more shifting per lap than the Mustang.

And then there's PTM. We ran the Camaro in its most serious mode, PTM-5, which turns the stability system off and puts traction control into Race setting. When proper grip is available, and on our hot day in the desert it certainly was, you can literally wood the throttle like a goon at, or just before, corner apex. It's unnatural at first, and your brain tells you that it's not going to work. But just when you're about to give up, it delivers the perfect amount of slip out of a corner and you feel like a hero. From that point on, the Camaro becomes your best friend.

It's still a Camaro, though, so it has some faults. It struggled mightily with understeer through the final skid pad turn leading onto Willow's front straight. No amount of throttle adjustments would cure this, and there's not a thing PTM can do about understeer.

The ZL1 could also use a better pair of front seats, as the wide buckets — which are thoroughly comfortable — just don't have the lateral support of the Shelby's optional Recaros.

2013 Ford Shelby GT500

Best lap: 1:24.92

All it took was one lap around Streets of Willow in the Shelby GT500 and we understood why Ford officials conducted the initial press drives with the traction control system on. This thing is a wild ride. An edge-of-your-seat, check-the-life-insurance, remember-your-kids kind of ride that is unmatched in the pony car world.

While the Shelby has significantly more power than the ZL1, it also has skinnier tires and less sophisticated chassis, damper and traction control systems. Its engine may be ahead of the Camaro's, but everything else is a bit behind.

And because Ford's AdvanceTrac Sport setting affects the stability control system, unlike Chevy's PTM-5, the system is more restrictive (and slower) than driving with everything off. So we turned everything off. And tried to hold on.

You're a lot busier behind the wheel in the Mustang, constantly controlling throttle-on oversteer as the engine's prodigious power dominates. Getting sideways is the slow way around a track, but the Mustang's throttle-steering talents did help it rotate better through the tighter turns.

The Mustang's steering offers less feedback than the Camaro and the chassis gets upset more easily by quick transitions, with more body roll and a looser tail. It's a chore to keep the Mustang on the track, but it's more fun if you're just looking for the most slides per mile.

More than anything, the ferocity with which the Shelby rockets and bellows down the straights puts it in a different world than the Camaro. And for some, the utter ground-pounding speed of the Shelby is worth its lack of precision.

What Do the Numbers Say?

Looking at the data from our VBOX timing system, several things come to light. The most obvious is the Mustang's speed advantage when the track turns straight. Its maximum velocity was more than 5 mph higher than the Camaro on the fastest part of the track — the back straight before a blind chicane.

Possibly because the Camaro was going slower but also because it's more precise, we held our speed longer into that chicane, and the lack of confidence in the Mustang made it 7 mph slower at the hard, downhill off-camber left-hander that follows.

Through the skid pad turn that leads onto the front straight, the GT500's ability to steer with the throttle helped. But while the GT500 carried a brilliant slide off the skid pad onto the straight, Chevy's PTM system put the power down and pushed the Camaro faster onto the straight, with a 2-mph advantage at start/finish before being gobbled up by the GT500 prior to Turn 1.

The data also showed how much more consistent our lines and lap times were with the Camaro. In contrast, the Mustang's laps were filled with lots of throttle and steering adjustments, not to mention plenty of slides.

The Winner

So which is the better track car? Without question, it's the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

Sure, it's possible to throw down a golden lap in the Mustang if you get everything right, but duplicating that time is never easy. And you'll be working far harder and more over the limit in the Shelby.

The Camaro ZL1 can turn consistent fast laps all day. It's infinitely more precise and capable, and genuinely rewarding in its engineering goodness. The fact that it was only about a half second off the Shelby's best time despite a huge power deficit speaks volumes.

The ZL1 has taken pony cars to a new level of handling and on-track composure that, frankly, we didn't think was possible. It makes the Camaro ZL1 the new definition of American Badassery. One that's really not bad at all.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both cars look awesome, very cool to see this. Back in the 80's or 90's could you ever imagine a Mustang or Camaro would lap Willow this fast? That's nuts. I'd be interested to see how these two cars stack up to other cars in their price range ($55-56,000). BTW, where's dodge? Challenger just to chunky to keep up?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

blueknight.....there was a challenger in the continental tire challenge for a few races last season. it did pretty well in the races it was in, but i presume them to have been a private team, as they seemed to run out of money........

now as for them making a street car........
Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting. 7/10 of a second per lap difference and it seems you have to be a real hero to pull off those times whereas the Camaro is easily consistent.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

not a real hero....just a real driver.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So, the ZL1 is consistently slower than the GT500's fastest time. Cool.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
now that you put it that way.....it would've been somewhat interesting if they'd have posted more than just a single lap time for each car.

presuming they did at least 4 or 5 laps in each, i'd be interested in seeing each lap time for each car.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
whoops.....double post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

To see a muscle car that badass looking with power to back it up, and able to take turns without a second thought..is pretty damn impressive! I thought the Shelby was way above the ZL1 but I'm gaining more and more respect for the zl1 as more reviews come in. Plus I think it looks better, and I was never much of a fan of the new body style, I think due to the weight, but something about the zl1 looks just right.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
whoops.....double post
Yeah he does that and normally he's just trolling anyways so ignore him.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

amazing how more people like a zl1 better.

whats even amazing is the crybabies it brings out too.

what id like is gt500 power with zl1 handling.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmy169
To see a muscle car that badass looking with power to back it up, and able to take turns without a second thought..is pretty damn impressive! I thought the Shelby was way above the ZL1 but I'm gaining more and more respect for the zl1 as more reviews come in. Plus I think it looks better, and I was never much of a fan of the new body style, I think due to the weight, but something about the zl1 looks just right.
this current camaro is (in my humble opinion) the first good looking camaro since 1969
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
amazing how more people like a zl1 better.

whats even amazing is the crybabies it brings out too.

what id like is gt500 power with zl1 handling.
what i'd like is to be able to afford to put one of each in my garage. and then have a boss302ls for a daily driver.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Wait, the GT500 had a better time and its a "hero run"? Wasnt it the same driver, same day? Last I checked, the car that passes the finish line first wins the race. Regardless, the SRA appears to do just fine in this test. Comfort seems to be huge in reviews as well. Not trying to take anything away from the Z, but c'mon.

Overall: 1 to 1.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

what i'd like is to be able to afford to put one of each in my garage. and then have a boss302ls for a daily driver.
What would be killer is a 600+hp Boss with mag ride and wide sticky tires (~275 front/~315 rear) that tips the scales at 3300-3400lbs soaking wet with a 50/50 weight split or damn near it
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gocartone
What would be killer is a 600+hp Boss with mag ride and wide sticky tires (~275 front/~315 rear) that tips the scales at 3300-3400lbs soaking wet with a 50/50 weight split or damn near it
i think i just had a "crisis" reading that........
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evolve
Wait, the GT500 had a better time and its a "hero run"? Wasnt it the same driver, same day? Last I checked, the car that passes the finish line first wins the race. Regardless, the SRA appears to do just fine in this test. Comfort seems to be huge in reviews as well. Not trying to take anything away from the Z, but c'mon.

Overall: 1 to 1.
i could be wrong here.....but i get the impression that the very younger crowd wants to go fast easy, whereas most of us older folks like to "earn" our going fast, which means it's not easy. if this is the case, then chevy's nailed it dead on with the zl1. if it's not, then it's gonna backfire at em soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

this current camaro is (in my humble opinion) the first good looking camaro since 1969
I agree but as a child of the 80s the 3rd gen will always have a special place in my heart.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by evolve
Wait, the GT500 had a better time and its a "hero run"? Wasnt it the same driver, same day? Last I checked, the car that passes the finish line first wins the race.
Not easily attainable or consistent performance. That's like saying they run 11.00 flat and all you see in person is people getting 12s out of them.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriShield
I agree but as a child of the 80s the 3rd gen will always have a special place in my heart.
i know quite a few younger people that love those 80's camaros. i don't really think they're ugly....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500