Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
What would be killer is a 600+hp Boss with mag ride and wide sticky tires (~275 front/~315 rear) that tips the scales at 3300-3400lbs soaking wet with a 50/50 weight split or damn near it
Hell if that's the case give a a 3400 pound zl1....
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM
***Repost Police***

This sounds like what a lot of people here have been saying for a while now...the GT500 is the more capable car, the ZL1 is more comfortable and easier to drive.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
what id like is gt500 power with zl1 handling.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TriShield
Not easily attainable or consistent performance. That's like saying they run 11.00 flat and all you see in person is people getting 12s out of them.
I see what you mean. If this seems to be the consensus, then why arent there multi lap tests? Wouldnt 3-4 laps tell the true story?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Continue finding excuses after you lose a track race = Fail
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by proxemics
Continue finding excuses after you lose a track race = Fail
didn't the shelby beat the zl at willow by more than it lost the other road course?

in all honesty, when a writer comes out and chooses the slower car as the winner, it's like saying that the person that thinks 1+1=potato is almost as smart as Einstein.

oh yea....it sounds somewhat biased too.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
Official Comparison=ZL1 Camaro-2 Mustang GT500-0
Now, that's some Grade A nuthugging right there.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
this current camaro is (in my humble opinion) the first good looking camaro since 1969
I will say the same for the Mustang, but only the Boss 302. It is the first nice Mustang I can stand looking at since 1969

And since you hate on Camaros so much, do you really not like the 70 -73's? Most non-brand loyal guys do appreciate those cars as well.

Oh and I would take an IROC over any 5.0 from the 80's, and I own a fourth gen so call me a fanboy and carry on, lol!

No seriously, I really like the new Boss, and this GT500 delivers in every aspect, even if you have to work harder for it. So it's harder to launch and go fast around a track...that makes it more rewarding when you accomplish the quick times. The GT500 is the big pony car for the enthusiasts, not the everyday "I wanna look cool" posers who won't even change their own air filter.

I respect the opinion of the writers, but as enthusiasts on this board, there is no way we can agree with them. The performance of the GT500 simply outshines the ZL1. ZL1 is respectable and due some credit. But we all know who the clear winner is at this point in the battle, congrats to Ford for giving us an amazing car
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I will say the same for the Mustang, but only the Boss 302. It is the first nice Mustang I can stand looking at since 1969

And since you hate on Camaros so much, do you really not like the 70 -73's? Most non-brand loyal guys do appreciate those cars as well.

Oh and I would take an IROC over any 5.0 from the 80's, and I own a fourth gen so call me a fanboy and carry on, lol!

No seriously, I really like the new Boss, and this GT500 delivers in every aspect, even if you have to work harder for it. So it's harder to launch and go fast around a track...that makes it more rewarding when you accomplish the quick times. The GT500 is the big pony car for the enthusiasts, not the everyday "I wanna look cool" posers who won't even change their own air filter.

I respect the opinion of the writers, but as enthusiasts on this board, there is no way we can agree with them. The performance of the GT500 simply outshines the ZL1. ZL1 is respectable and due some credit. But we all know who the clear winner is at this point in the battle, congrats to Ford for giving us an amazing car

i don't hate on camaros. you may want to note i own one.

i don't dislike the 70's camaros, i just don't care for them. my brother had a 70? i think it was, split bumper camaro for a bit. when he told me he was selling it, i told him he was being somewhat stupid, and should keep it. i couldn't get down to florida before he sold it, otherwise i'd have bought it, due to the relative rarity of those.
the 80's camaros/firebirds i just never liked the looks of. working on them and seeing all of their faults didn't help, but then ford was about the same. my 89 that i had in my sig for a bit, i liked only 'cause it let me go fast in relative comfort. it was always fun to drive, and i liked the paint combination that the previous owner had used on it. i added the cowl hood.

the 4th gen camaros, rate the same as the 70's camaros....i don't dislike them.....i just don't care for them much. i do however think that cowl hoods on those destroy the lines.

as for mustangs......i never cared for the 71-73 mustangs. the 70 mustang was essentially the same as a 69. the pinto-stangs weren't horrible looking, but their interiors sucked big time, and they were slow(like pretty much everyting from the 70's)
the fox mustangs were kind of ugly, but at the same time had a "don't **** with me" look to them. sorta. their quality was slightly better than the camaros of the era.
the 90's mustangs, right up till 03, were in my humble opinion(again) the absolute ugliest mustangs ever built. i can't honestly believe that they ever outsold the camaro in that era.
these new mustangs are just ******* sexy to me. everything about them. i've actually got a boss302 airdam, and splitter to install on my gt, but it's pissing me off that i have to remove the entire front fascia in order to do this.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evolve
I see what you mean. If this seems to be the consensus, then why arent there multi lap tests? Wouldnt 3-4 laps tell the true story?
Individual lap times and total time over a 10 lap segment would. If one is harder to drive you will see less consistent lap times, especially as the tires and brakes fade. That would cut out the statistical noise.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

it would be fairly interesting to compare the zl1 to an ss too. we know the zl will trash it, but it'd be interesting to see how it drives on a road course compared to a regular camaro. that would give us a definite answer as to the suspension.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
it would be fairly interesting to compare the zl1 to an ss too. we know the zl will trash it, but it'd be interesting to see how it drives on a road course compared to a regular camaro. that would give us a definite answer as to the suspension.
Flame suit on/

2010 Camaro SS Ring time 8:20
2012 Camaro ZL1 Ring time 7:41.27

I am going to reach way out for a limb, and say significantly better.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Flame suit on/

2010 Camaro SS Ring time 8:20
2012 Camaro ZL1 Ring time 7:41.27

I am going to reach way out for a limb, and say significantly better.
NAH.....i ain't gonna flame anyone on this subject.

i hadn't realized that they ran an ss over at the ring. i was more thinking since they're starting to run the zl at some tracks here, run them both. just as if they were comparing to the mustang. see if the suspension in the zl is that much better than the suspension in the ss, by getting these same guys opinions on the zl vs the ss. it'd be fairly interesting.

the zl's power could be the sole contributor to the faster ring time, as there's still plenty of rumors of the shelby running a bit quicker over there......i'd like to see a video though, in order to believe it.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Individual lap times and total time over a 10 lap segment would. If one is harder to drive you will see less consistent lap times, especially as the tires and brakes fade. That would cut out the statistical noise.
Makes sense. I dont see this happening with mag drivers unfortunately.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evolve
Makes sense. I dont see this happening with mag drivers unfortunately.
so do like what Motor Trend did with their best drivers car segment a few years ago. they put Randy Pobst in the hot seat to get a real feel of what a pro driver thought of the cars.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Now, that's some Grade A nuthugging right there.
No just there to remind guys like you that constantly try to make the ZL1 out as garbage that there's more to a car then straight line speed. Plus it's just stating the facts sorry if you don't like the outcome but it is what it is.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

The interesting thing is that when Edmunds tested all the versions of the mustang a year or two ago they got nearly the same time out of a 2011 GT500 as they did the ZL1.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
I agree but as a child of the 80s the 3rd gen will always have a special place in my heart.
not mine and i owned one. it handled,braked excellent at that time and had descent power. i had a 5.7. it squeaked,rattled and fell apart quicker than i could fix it. it didnt help i beat the crap out of it but the paint was shitty too.

ill never own another.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
No just there to remind guys like you that constantly try to make the ZL1 out as garbage that there's more to a car then straight line speed. Plus it's just stating the facts sorry if you don't like the outcome but it is what it is.
You must have forgot about power numbers, 1/4 mile numbers, available options and the FACT that the GT500 ran the fastest lap time during the above test.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
You must have forgot about power numbers, 1/4 mile numbers, available options and the FACT that the GT500 ran the fastest lap time during the above test.
What does that have to do with my sig? Are you really that jaded by the blue over that you cannot accept the ZL1 as a great car because contrary to your believes I've always spoke highly about the ZL1 and the GT500 so how does calling me out on my sig make me a fanboy?

Quick Reply: Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500