Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

C&D - 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 392 HEMI Super Bee

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Thanks for posting that. Proves what I was trying to say. Emissions.
Standby for NEWS!
And the dual plug design has been around 20 years, yep 20 years ago Ford was doing it, actual Nissan was too a little before that I think. Its for emissions you dope. Not for power. Know what you're talking about before you rattle off.
It was "for" emissions, but it actually helps power as well, albeit only by a little. It creates a cleaner burn or as they put it, a more complete burn. One of the main reasons for dual plug heads is to reduce detonation. That tells us much about the reality in a nutshell. Less detonation = a longer running and stronger engine. It can handle more timing, for example, which helps create more hp.

Can't remember when NISSAN started, but Ford began using dual plug heads in or around 1987(88 model), 20+ yrs back. MOPAR, however, did it as far back as 1970! http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hemi.html Read that stuff... The dual plug part is roughly half-way down the page.

But, I like the car, except the boy racer-ish look of it. I would like this car in an all black package or something more subtle. I wish dodge would stop with the freakin yellows/greens and ****. For a sedan, bone stock, 115mph is moving pretty damn good. Handling and braking don't seen on-par with acceleration though.
I think the article said this car is available in 2 color packages, the aforementioned yellow and... BLACK!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Love the look, would buy. 43k is a tad pricey and I disagree with the last statement from the article....

The base price: $43,450, including the guzzler tax.

"Does that sound like a lot? Well, yes. But it’s less than the standard Charger SRT8. If you’re still reluctant, check the bids for original muscle cars on a couple televised auctions, think about it, and then get back to us"

What a freakin joke. This a NEW car with built in depreciation, those cars have actually held value and appreciated. IF there is even gasoline 40 years from now and I still have the car, we will see what it's worth. Also never mind the factor Mopars are so unique based on the variations of options and the hardcore following that statement is a little off. 43k is high for most people, those who can afford a 43k fun car are not 16 to 30 year olds... unless you deal drugs or something.
Hmmm... I was thinking they're looking forward after a quick look back. They probably suspect VERY few will buy this car and because if that, the future value will be immense. Based on that, 43k seems like a bargain. I'm more with you on the whole "wait and see" thought. I know production will be limited and so will sales. I also know there are plenty of things to choose between, which weren't available "back when" and therefore, value of something made today will rarely match that of the "muscle car era" regardless performance advantages. Seems to me, they could build this new car for about 30k, so 43 is a profit indeed.

A single plug ignition can create the exact same power output. Period. If I'm lying to you go ask the guys running 6s in the 1/4 on just 8 plugs.
What about the guys running 4's? Oh yeah... They've got 16 plugs.

Are you on crack? 6.4 liter compared to 5.7? 392 compared to 346. Its simple, by your math, lets do a 6.0 LQ stroked to 402 (10 c.i. difference) and give me a stock ported casting of similar cfm. LQ makes more power, period. And with only 8 plugs to change during tune-ups. Hey tell you what, go look up 5.7 Hemi numbers then get back to us.
I ain't gettin' into this silly pissin' contest, but I do wonder what the 5.7L HEMI has to do with this? Clearly, this is about the 6.4L(and to some degree, 6.1L) version. The 5.7L HEMI today has a 390hp rating and up to 407 lb-ft torque. That's more than the 5.7L LS1. It is 345ci. Dodge offers a 426 HEMI crate engine making 540hp-530lb-ft torque. That's not too bad.

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Dodge--- maker of republican flagships....complete disregard to global warming not even an attempt to be efficient...in any way shape or form. The pinnacle of american arrogance and stupidity coupled with no ingenuity.
Clearly, your "license" hasn't expired... With that, this isn't about global hoaxing...er... warming, none of which is caused by or affected by man... Now then. Did you know that this particular car, offered by the "maker of republican flagships" (Republicans prefer Lincolns, but the way), gets BETTER economy than the Chevy flagship, Corvette ZR1??? Didya, huh huh, didya??? Probably not. It apparently also gets better mileage than the ZL1 and CTS-V and let's not concern ourselves with the fact those cars completely overpower it, because hey... YOU think Chrysler doesn't care about our globe and somehow, GM does...

They should have sold off the Challenger's rights to any other manuf and it would of been far more car than to just look at.

It's remarkable how this company survives. Clearly it does not deserve to.

A pig with a bloated heart. I'd pay maybe 9 grand for that pos.
I'm no Dodge fan, but you're completely insane by comparison! You evidently have no understanding in the slightest, what these vehicles bring to the automotive table. They incite violence, so to speak. These over-sized and over-performing monstrosities offer more reason for more performance among competitors. Let it be and if you care about the environment, you may quit breathing at any time you desire, saving that much more precious oxygen for the rest of us.

Just tell us you were joking and all is well.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
No, a bolt-on LS1 would definitely give this car a hard time. Mid 12 second times are very, very possible with a bolt-on LS1, a H/C LS1 wouldn't even be a fair race. This Charger makes tons of power, but the weight and sheer mass of this thing is what really hurts it. Still a very nice car regardless though.
He wasn't actually talking about a drag race between two cars, one with an 800 lb advantage over the other. He was talking about power/torque figures.

Might very well be in some cases It's still a killer platform even to this day
I think you misspelled "killed" in that response.

On a more serious note, the LS1 isn't a platform, it's an engine. A single design of the LS-series.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have way too much time on your hands qouting so many ppl.
And since you think your also an english teacher you misspelled by for "but" woohoo ya doof. Petty but I figur'd you would point that kind of stuff out.

The bottom line is both Ford and GM have attempts and more times than not are very successful in blending performance and economy...they are something to be proud of by most American muscle heads. Even though they chose to enter that scene very late. If they wouldnt have tho...the imports would be that much more dominant so they did so for selfish reasons...whatever at least they have tried....even if strictly to gain back lost sales.

Originally Posted by It'llrun

Hmmm... I was thinking they're looking forward after a quick look back. They probably suspect VERY few will buy this car and because if that, the future value will be immense. Based on that, 43k seems like a bargain. I'm more with you on the whole "wait and see" thought. I know production will be limited and so will sales. I also know there are plenty of things to choose between, which weren't available "back when" and therefore, value of something made today will rarely match that of the "muscle car era" regardless performance advantages. Seems to me, they could build this new car for about 30k, so 43 is a profit indeed.
Why don't u try doubling your meds? this was good comedy. You think/believe Chrysler has that much foresight? that they're counting on future value? hahaha you're a bafoon. hahaha oh man hilarious. haha "43K seems like a bargain" HAHAHAHA "global hoaxing" HAHAHA we should feed the whales with you. but they're likely to spit you out....in turn you'll turn that into a biblical comparison.

This is a turd. A Pontiac G8 is a much better thought out car and like it there are many. This is a rolling slab of metal further hunked down with a lowly crafted hemi. Like I said "maybe" 9 grand.

What I will tell you and where you are somewhat remotely correct on is...you are exactly the IQ level they need to reel in and buy this mental midget's gocart. Hahahaha.

Please don't buy Chevrolet.

Dodge is the Arby's of American cars.....no one really eats there but yet somehow someway...they carry on...always limping....green turkey and all...

...or secretly laundering mob dough. Either way...eat all the drippy cheez whiz sandwiches u want. How this made it from paper to real is beyond everything.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

You have way too much time on your hands qouting so many ppl.
It isn't like it takes any less time to do it singly, Sir thinksalittle.

And since you think your also an english teacher you misspelled by for "but" woohoo ya doof. Petty but I figur'd you would point that kind of stuff out.
Glad you took the time to say I misspelled "but" and all, BUT... I won't waste my time pointing out all your errors. It's obvious you never completed 5th grade grammar, so I'll try to leave you alone on that. In simply the above quote alone, there are no fewer than SIX grammatical errors, by the way. Don't waste much time talking down to anyone on the interwebz, kiddo. Lest you hear of people thinking, "No! There all gonna laugh at you!" as they do exactly that.

Yes, I know you meant something different, but I responded to what you actually said.

The bottom line is both Ford and GM have attempts and more times than not are very successful in blending performance and economy...they are something to be proud of by most American muscle heads. Even though they chose to enter that scene very late. If they wouldnt have tho...the imports would be that much more dominant so they did so for selfish reasons...whatever at least they have tried....even if strictly to gain back lost sales.
This has nothing to do with much of anything and wouldn't, even if you'd typed it well enough to mean what you wanted to say. The point you're conveniently leaving out is, GM has 3 performance models offering less economy than that of the car this thread is supposed to be about, making your unwanted comments that much more ridiculously useless. You went out of your way to trash the Dodge product, not even being aware how terrible some GM's still are. Then again, you're proving to be rather lacking in the intelligence area in general. I now know what to expect from you... Nothing of value.

Why don't u try doubling your meds? this was good comedy.
Doubling my meds will not make you intelligent(nor will anything else, apparently)! I won't bother doing so, but I recommend you see a doctor sooner rather than later.

You think/believe Chrysler has that much foresight? that they're counting on future value? hahaha you're a bafoon. hahaha oh man hilarious. haha "43K seems like a bargain" HAHAHAHA "global hoaxing" HAHAHA we should feed the whales with you. but they're likely to spit you out....in turn you'll turn that into a biblical comparison.
Perhaps "If I only had a brain should be in your signature... I wasn't talking about Dodge having foresight. I was talking about the article. Pay attention much? You're just about as clueless and confused as I've seen here in quite some time. "hahahaha bafoon"... Buffoon is the correct spelling, DUMB ***! If you had a clue, you long ago lost it... You're creating laughter, at you, not with you.

This is a turd. A Pontiac G8 is a much better thought out car and like it there are many. This is a rolling slab of metal further hunked down with a lowly crafted hemi. Like I said "maybe" 9 grand.
Yeah, Pontiac's G8 is so damned nice, it's a wonder Pontiac isn't the #1 selling brand in America, as opposed to GONE! The Charger in question will run circles around the G8 as far as performance goes. I'm sure you've never been in a new Charger either, or you'd know it is also very comfortable, as is the 300 it shares the chassis with.

What I will tell you and where you are somewhat remotely correct on is...you are exactly the IQ level they need to reel in and buy this mental midget's gocart. Hahahaha.
Coming from the likes of you, everyone EXCEPT you will surely take heed and note how much brighter than me you are... Yep, they sure will. So tell me, what's it like going to work at 12 because you decided school wasn't cool? Were I as intelligent as you, I'd leave people like me alone in the "mental midget" kinda comments... You, by no means strike any intelligent and educated man as anything of the sort.

Please don't buy Chevrolet.
There's the kind of thing GM simply ABHORS(look it up, simpleton) from its "customer base," because it gives them a glimpse of the idiots who not only want to purchase their products and lack the funding, but it also helps "ward off" otherwise possible customers because those people don't want to appear STUPID to the rest of us... Just ask someone to explain that part to you as I haven't got the time or inclination(look that up too, mo-ron).

Dodge is the Arby's of American cars.....no one really eats there but yet somehow someway...they carry on...always limping....green turkey and all...
Oh BOY, what a knee slapper! Give it a rest. We don't want people begging for tickets to your show just yet...

...or secretly laundering mob dough.
Neither, totally. They did what GM did and took from the people through the US government. So far, so good.

Either way...eat all the drippy cheez whiz sandwiches u want. How this made it from paper to real is beyond everything.
It's only "beyond" the likes of you. People with any amount of sophistication will see the good and the bad with this car. However, most already know more about Dodge than you ever will, because they're not blinded by the emblems...
Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Standby for NEWS!
It was "for" emissions, but it actually helps power as well, albeit only by a little. It creates a cleaner burn or as they put it, a more complete burn. One of the main reasons for dual plug heads is to reduce detonation. That tells us much about the reality in a nutshell. Less detonation = a longer running and stronger engine. It can handle more timing, for example, which helps create more hp.

Can't remember when NISSAN started, but Ford began using dual plug heads in or around 1987(88 model), 20+ yrs back. MOPAR, however, did it as far back as 1970! http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hemi.html Read that stuff... The dual plug part is roughly half-way down the page.

I think the article said this car is available in 2 color packages, the aforementioned yellow and... BLACK!

What about the guys running 4's? Oh yeah... They've got 16 plugs.

I ain't gettin' into this silly pissin' contest, but I do wonder what the 5.7L HEMI has to do with this? Clearly, this is about the 6.4L(and to some degree, 6.1L) version. The 5.7L HEMI today has a 390hp rating and up to 407 lb-ft torque. That's more than the 5.7L LS1. It is 345ci. Dodge offers a 426 HEMI crate engine making 540hp-530lb-ft torque. That's not too bad.

Clearly, your "license" hasn't expired... With that, this isn't about global hoaxing...er... warming, none of which is caused by or affected by man... Now then. Did you know that this particular car, offered by the "maker of republican flagships" (Republicans prefer Lincolns, but the way), gets BETTER economy than the Chevy flagship, Corvette ZR1??? Didya, huh huh, didya??? Probably not. It apparently also gets better mileage than the ZL1 and CTS-V and let's not concern ourselves with the fact those cars completely overpower it, because hey... YOU think Chrysler doesn't care about our globe and somehow, GM does...

I'm no Dodge fan, but you're completely insane by comparison! You evidently have no understanding in the slightest, what these vehicles bring to the automotive table. They incite violence, so to speak. These over-sized and over-performing monstrosities offer more reason for more performance among competitors. Let it be and if you care about the environment, you may quit breathing at any time you desire, saving that much more precious oxygen for the rest of us.

Just tell us you were joking and all is well.

He wasn't actually talking about a drag race between two cars, one with an 800 lb advantage over the other. He was talking about power/torque figures.

On a more serious note, the LS1 isn't a platform, it's an engine. A single design of the LS-series.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I would give you a high five over the computer if I could.

This will have to suffice instead.

o/ \o
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doubling my meds will not make you intelligent(nor will anything else, apparently)! I won't bother doing so, but I recommend you see a doctor sooner rather than later.
Right, right... but you do admit there are meds involved here. And with them come side effect...and altho you will not admit it...we could all be suffering through your multi qouting spews because of them. Why not just go back? go back tell them to double or give you something else. Cmon be a big person...the problems are bigger than you and I.

The article reads:
"Stoping? Turning? Fughedaboutit"
"minimalist audio reminiscent..of AM"
" altho 86 g isn't extraordinary....it's way better than 60's and 70s" Hahaha well I should fuggin hope so.
"$43500 including guzzler tax...Does that sound like a lot? Well yes...but blah blah blah" more LMAO!!

The article is expertly crafted. It's perfect actually. (forgiving the Waylon Jennings qoute).

Properly non medicated processing:
Pay 43K for an AM radio'd..overpower'd freak show that just barely outshines 60's and 70's lateral. Forget about stopping. And oh yea we did throw in power windows.
The nerve of them to drop the bilstein shocks(a minimal imo) but oh oh they gave us "genuine" super bee emblems...

You'd have to be on meds to buy this car......no pun intended It'llRun.
Seriously lets get you some help..make that call...its the first step...say it to the doc...." i think I need a little more"..."yea I might need more"....go on now.... It will help you. We're all on your side..look at little vasquez....go on now. Maybe you could update your sig? to how much u want to get stung by a super bee...in black. <--your dirty little secret huh? in a lincoln.....
Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I would give you a high five over the computer if I could.

This will have to suffice instead.

o/ \o
Thank you, but as you can see, NOT fully agreeing with some will earn you scorn and whining around this place... Mostly the youngsters, but it can come from anyone. Oh well... It's part of doing your own homework and having vast knowledge because of that, I suppose. I've gotten used to it. I spent more than 20yrs around the automotive aftermarket and I've heard as much silliness in person as I read on the net, and usually from the same type of people... Those who are new to the environment and unconvinced until they see it several times themselves.

Right, right... but you do admit there are meds involved here.
How much is nothing times 2?

And with them come side effect...and altho you will not admit it...we could all be suffering through your multi qouting spews because of them.
The only thing you are suffering is utter ignorance and a case of... well, I'll let that go for now. I will add, "multi-quoting" isn't a side effect or any sort of problem. It's intention, though you don't know it, is to save bandwidth.

Why not just go back? go back tell them to double or give you something else. Cmon be a big person...the problems are bigger than you and I.
It appears your cynicism has gotten the best of you.

The article reads:
"Stoping? Turning? Fughedaboutit"
"minimalist audio reminiscent..of AM"
" altho 86 g isn't extraordinary....it's way better than 60's and 70s" Hahaha well I should fuggin hope so.
"$43500 including guzzler tax...Does that sound like a lot? Well yes...but blah blah blah" more LMAO!!

The article is expertly crafted. It's perfect actually. (forgiving the Waylon Jennings qoute).
Therefore, apparently warranted your silly initial remarks!

Properly non medicated processing:
Pay 43K for an AM radio'd..overpower'd freak show that just barely outshines 60's and 70's lateral. Forget about stopping. And oh yea we did throw in power windows.
Seriously, it seems you've missed quite a bit of what they're saying. The "stopping, turning, Fuhgedaboudit" part was their reference to the cars of the actual "muscle car era" and not the one written about here. I didn't see where they claimed this car has an AM radio. Maybe you could point that out for us?? It said the minimalist audio system is reminiscent of those old cars, not a direct copy.

It also doesn't "just barely" outshine the 60's and 70's cars... You obviously lost track of the story early on, and haven't yet gotten back to find yourself in it... This car stops from 70 in some 165 feet... That's pretty good and I suspect, much shorter than most of even the best cars of the 60's. Most 60's and 70's cars didn't get to .86g's if for no other reason, because the tires would hardly allow that. Even the article says as much.

This new Charger... 0-60 in 4.2(basically no car of the 60's did that, save perhaps an actual race car or AC Cobra. 0-100 in 9.8 isn't all that slow(quicker than an auto or manual equipped stock 2010- Camaro SS in several tests).

1/4 mile ET: 12.6 @ 115... This is heavier than even the Camaro SS and comparing auto to auto, ask yourself if this car seems slow... Now ask yourself which "muscle car" of the 60's or 70's did that while stock in showroom condition. Most of those old cars reached "terminal velocity" around 130mph... This Charger nearly reaches 180... Which is slow again? Not even the current Camaro SS can go there in total stock form.

They also "cheaped out" and fitted all season radials on this car, yet it still performed better than many available today, let alone the 60's.

If those numbers seem so sad and "barely" better than the past, check these out! http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...drives/4309166
"we scooted the SS to 60 mph in just 4.90 seconds. We hit 100 mph in 10.74 seconds and the quarter-mile was dispatched in 13.02 seconds at 111.43 mph." - Popular Mechanics
http://www.autostead.com/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-2ss/
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...6-seconds.html
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...s/viewall.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

If you can read through all those articles and still tell yourself that this Charger is all that bad, you're as lost as it seems.

The nerve of them to drop the bilstein shocks(a minimal imo) but oh oh they gave us "genuine" super bee emblems...
Whatever. They happened to think it rode even better because of, not in spite of "better" shocks/struts.

You'd have to be on meds to buy this car......no pun intended It'llRun.
That's your opinion. Millions more than agree with you will disagree with you on that thought. The car won't sell all that well, but it was never intended to sell well. That's the joy of being a Chrysler branded vehicle. High sales aren't the biggest priority.

Seriously lets get you some help..make that call...its the first step...say it to the doc...." i think I need a little more"..."yea I might need more"....go on now.... It will help you. We're all on your side..look at little vasquez....go on now. Maybe you could update your sig? to how much u want to get stung by a super bee...in black. <--your dirty little secret huh? in a lincoln.....
How about forming a real and coherent sentence? Apparently the one in need of meds is you.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Great performer BUT, too darn expensive. Sorry. Compared to the Mustang and Camaro, there is nothing I can see that warrants a price tag of $43K in my honest opinion.

Nice car if you're willing to pay the premium.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Launching!

The 5.7L HEMI today has a 390hp rating and up to 407 lb-ft torque. That's more than the 5.7L LS1. It is 345ci. Dodge offers a 426 HEMI crate engine making 540hp-530lb-ft torque. That's not too bad.
Again, why are we comparing a motor that debuted in 2011 (392 Hemi) to a motor that debuted in 1997 (LS1)? It took Chrysler how many years to surpass the LS1's 345hp and 350tq ratings with their 5.7L Hemi? And as you know GM's LS6, which is also 5.7L, was making 405hp and 400tq in 2002. I would hope that GM, Ford, and Chrysler are currently producing higher performing V8's than anything they were producing 10 to 15 years ago.

And that 426 Hemi looks like a badass motor. I really hope they make it an option or offer it in a special edition Challenger or Charger in the next couple years.

Last edited by MI-Z/28; 04-17-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Again, why are we comparing a motor that debuted in 2011 to a motor that debuted 1997?
Because "fanboys" on here decided to, that's why. It began at post #3, intentionally or not.

It took Chrysler how many years to surpass the LS1's (5.7L) 345hp and 350tq ratings?
Technically, they surpassed the LS1 and the LS1 never surpassed them back, before there was the 1993 LT1, let alone the LS1. The 5.7L HEMI has been around since roughly 2003... The V10 has been around since 1992... I believe it bested the LS1 before the LS1 ever existed, but maybe that's just me.

And as you know GM's LS6 (also 5.7L) was making 405hp and 400tq in 2002. I would hope that GM, Ford, and Chrysler are currently producing higher performing V8's than anything they were producing 10 to 15 years ago.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not be producing more, but all 3 have discarded those reasons and done better anyway. Good for them!

And that 426 Hemi looks like a badass motor. I really hope they make it an option or offer it in a special edition Challenger or Charger in the next couple years.
I wanna see an aluminum 6.4L myself, but only for those Dodge boys. They could use a break in nearly all categories.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Technically, they surpassed the LS1 and the LS1 never surpassed them back, before there was the 1993 LT1, let alone the LS1. The 5.7L HEMI has been around since roughly 2003... The V10 has been around since 1992... I believe it bested the LS1 before the LS1 ever existed, but maybe that's just me.
Let's stick to late model V8's to keep this as close to apples to apples as possible. So it took Chrysler 6 years to develop a 5.7L motor to beat the LS1? And by the time it was released it was already behind GM's upgraded 5.7L (LS6).

And I agree, an aluminum block 392 would also be nice. But to me it was an absolute shocker that Chrysler released the 392 in production vehicles with an iron block then turns around just a few months later and releases the all aluminum 426 as a crate motor. I would have thought they would use an aluminum block 392 for production vehicles and iron block 426 crate motor to market to the performance crowd.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I guess you're right. Didn't even realize that we weren't even talking about actual performance figures here until you pointed it out. Power/torque output that 6.4 has is excellent, I'm very impressed, but it can only go so far in a car that weighs as much as it does, so that makes the power/torque argument kind of invalid. Proof being that a 14 year old bolt-on LS1 with a decent driver could probably run right with it.

Also, "platform" was the wrong word I'll admit but you know what I meant
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Let's stick to late model V8's to keep this as close to apples to apples as possible. So it took Chrysler 6 years to develop a 5.7L motor to beat the LS1? And by the time it was released it was already behind GM's upgraded 5.7L (LS6).
Heh... You asked. I answered... Just sayin'...

And I agree, an aluminum block 392 would also be nice. But to me it was an absolute shocker that Chrysler released the 392 in production vehicles with an iron block then turns around just a few months later and releases the all aluminum 426 as a crate motor. I would have thought they would use an aluminum block 392 for production vehicles and iron block 426 crate motor to market to the performance crowd.
Idonno... I remember when aluminum was "race only" stuff and iron was the enemy(due to the obvious, weight and heat). Now those tables have shifted a bit in American vehicles, except Dodge... It took them WAY too long to offer that engine, btw.

When the 6.1L came out, I distinctly remember saying, "It's an IRON block?" I was stunned... They could lose money on aluminum or they could see major improvements. Apparently they were afraid of regular production aluminum and that's too bad. We all know it can work very well.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Yeah, I guess you're right. Didn't even realize that we weren't even talking about actual performance figures here until you pointed it out. Power/torque output that 6.4 has is excellent, I'm very impressed, but it can only go so far in a car that weighs as much as it does, so that makes the power/torque argument kind of invalid. Proof being that a 14 year old bolt-on LS1 with a decent driver could probably run right with it.
Yep. I don't think many doubt that a 470hp 4th gen would rip right on past the 470hp Challenger... That race would essentially qualify as "a big joke" to most here.

Also, "platform" was the wrong word I'll admit but you know what I meant
Can't say you're wrong there.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's yellow and has a bee on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
It's yellow and has a bee on it.
I wonder if all people can see the same shade of yellow?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
I wonder if all people can see the same shade of yellow?
I don't know, but this car is yellow and has a bee on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If a Charger is produced without a Bee, is it still a Super Bee?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

i think i may have mentioned this in another thread.....but here in my little corner of new jersey, as of late, i'm seeing a LOT more chargers, and challengers than i used to see. i see them almost as much as i see the mustangs and cameros.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have so wanted to run a 392 in my SS, but I can only find them (along with Mustangs and everything else) when I'm out in the DD stratus. The SS must scare them.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if all bees can see the same shade of yellow, and if they even know they're yellow...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
I have so wanted to run a 392 in my SS, but I can only find them (along with Mustangs and everything else) when I'm out in the DD stratus. The SS must scare them.
ya know the ONLY cars that've tried playing with me in the gt so far?(and it's probably better, 'cause with only 1600 miles, i still don't wanna beat on it too much)
a MILF in an infinity.....didn't take much at all to play the stay out front game
a goofball in a turbo-diesel mercedes. took a little less than the infinity.
a goofball just the other night in a 05-09 bodystyle mustang. with a ******* SIX cylinder. i STILL don't know exactly what the hell he was trying to do. i was cruising at 80....as i was passing him, he accelerated just enough to not let me pass at that speed. after a few seconds, he pulled a couple cars up, and was going away, so i figured he just decided to go faster. next thing ya know, he's dropping back, and pacing me now. so i took it out of od, and ran her up to 110, was nearly a quarter mile in front, and went back to normal cruise mode.
here he comes, pulls up in back of me, and stays about 4 cars back for about 10 miles. then he flies by me. a couple miles up the road, i'm still doing my 80, but here i am catching him again. i went by him, while i was still only doing 80, as he lost speed going up a hill for the overpass.

i guess he felt good that he passed a v8 car.

Quick Reply: C&D - 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 392 HEMI Super Bee