Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The GT500 costs more, because it's a better, more powerful vehicle. Sorry if this hurts some butts.

The ZL1 needs a few grand in mods and a voided warranty to keep up with this GT500. It's ok. It's not the end of the world.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
I just pasted Autoblog's first drive impression and the author noted the GT500 is about 10,000 more than the ZL1.
The author also used the word "base" somewhere in there... Only for the ZL1. the base GT500 is very near the base ZL1. Perhaps if the author had said whatever with the open comment that the ZL1 has "standard" things which raise the price of the GT500, it would've been more appropriate.

Base vs Base, the GT500 is actually cheaper to purchase within the USA because, since it gets 5mpg more hwy miles, it doesn't get slammed with the gas guzzler tax, which is 1,300. Either may have a markup, but that's beside the point.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I'd have to agree.
And which is pretty much what I'd been predicting (I've been saying 11.2/11.3ish) all along, although I'd never expected to see it pull a 129mph trap speed on stock tires (if that's in fact true).
That car frightens me LOL.

And yes, it will go high 10s in decent air with just a rear tire swap.
Me too, and I've been saying it won't surprise me a bit if it can runs 10's with just stickies. I can't see anything stopping it from those numbers. This car is JUST AS bad *** as we thought it would be.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas94z
I just want to see the '13 GT500's 'Ring time.
I can't wait, its such valuable info for everyone who takes their ZL1 or GT500 across the Atlantic and encounters an equally modified ZL1 or GT500 with a similarly skilled driver at the all important 'Ring
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
No, no it shouldn't. I don't need a big speaker system, navigation, heated seats, back up camera, etc in my 662 hp car. I'd rather have the option to make it the way I want. You want it check the box.

I realize you said performance options but it still applies. A drag car isn't likely to need all the additional coolers or maybe I already plan on putting new suspension or wheels on? Why pay a ridiculous amount for what I don't want is my question to you. Options make everyone happy.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Launching!

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f...dyno-sheet.jpg

Last edited by Sax1031; 05-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas94z
I just want to see the '13 GT500's 'Ring time.
i wanna see a no **** time...

rumor rolling around on another forum i frequent is its cutting 7:30's
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
I can't wait, its such valuable info for everyone who takes their ZL1 or GT500 across the Atlantic and encounters an equally modified ZL1 or GT500 with a similarly skilled driver at the all important 'Ring
Even though most U.S. cars will never see the "ring" why do people like you think that its a bs way of testing cars? It's a complex track that has been a high water mark for years because no other track compares to it. Maybe if they tested it on a track state side that the cars would run on it would hold up better to people like yourself or do you feel like showing the cars ability on a road course is pointless all together? Just to clarify I'm not trying to start a bash fest just trying to better understand your views.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firebird99
Even though most U.S. cars will never see the "ring" why do people like you think that its a bs way of testing cars? It's a complex track that has been a high water mark for years because no other track compares to it. Maybe if they tested it on a track state side that the cars would run on it would hold up better to people like yourself or do you feel like showing the cars ability on a road course is pointless all together? Just to clarify I'm not trying to start a bash fest just trying to better understand your views.
theres a reason why indy stopped racing there...

Its a very difficult track... and has killed allot of people... IMO its the benchmark of roadcourses...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Can someone please re-size that RIDICULOUSLY OVERSIZED dyno graph??? The car is powerful and makes MAD torque to boot... We get it. We'd also get it in half that size...

Taking a car to the ring is fine, but for the millions of American automotive fans, it really doesn't amount to much. I'd prefer they take it to any number of tracks it may actually be raced on by the majority of buyers who race. Surely someone will give it some laps at VIR or Road Atlanta(which is also apparently quite dangerous) or Laguna Seca or Inde, or Sebring... Don't really care where, but in America, where the comparison may just play out between several cars we drive all at once in the same race.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

considering that most likely, both of these cars main market will be in the usa, i have to agree with him.
ford would be better spending their time running VIR, to match/beat the zl there. or laguna seca. or any other usa road course. those are tracks that the target market can/will understand, and respect.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So because we Americans will never drive on it with our cars it's not a track worthy to show a cars true performance? I think that because it is so hard and no other track comes close to it that it's the best way to show what a car can do because if they were to test on a track here people would still complain because they feel track A isn't as good as track B and so on so why not accept the industry standard which is the ring?

Now as far as the person who said because it killed to many people that's why it shouldn't be used if that where the case then SPEED it self kills more on the regular road then all tracks combined so we might as well govern the cars to 35mph.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
***Repost Police***

Of course the times aren't exactly comparable if the cars are driven by different drivers on different days, but that track is the only track in the world that is able to show so many aspects of a car's performance, not just in the times but in driver impressions. Laguna Seca is a fantastic track, but it's simply not as challenging and revealing of bad habits in suspension/braking.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Ring times are by far the WORST way to compare cars. To get a good comparison between two cars you need the same driver on the same day in the same conditions, not different drivers/days/conditions on a 12+ mile track! Not to mention the fact that they aren't using factory stock vehicles to run around that track.

Now as far as the person who said because it killed to many people that's why it shouldn't be used if that where the case then SPEED it self kills more on the regular road then all tracks combined so we might as well govern the cars to 35mph.
Speed has never killed anyone, it's the sudden stopping that will get you!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

So because we Americans will never drive on it with our cars it's not a track worthy to show a cars true performance? I think that because it is so hard and no other track comes close to it that it's the best way to show what a car can do because if they were to test on a track here people would still complain because they feel track A isn't as good as track B and so on so why not accept the industry standard which is the ring?
The ring has never been the industry standard, and it never will be. The reality is, most cars not only never go to the ring, but most are never tested there, so it can't even become the industry standard.

The ring is generally considered the longest track in the world, but whether or not it's the most difficult is very debatable. A shorter track may be more technical. On the other hand, a driver must remember several things to run well on the ring and so, maybe it is the most technical if for no other reason, because it's such an unbelievably long course.

Speed never kills, people do. Sometimes, people kill themselves by accident because they make a mistake. Speed is a factor in every crash, but that's ONLY because if there was no speed, all objects would remain stationary.

You can like the ring all you want. I think it's a great testing grounds... for cars in Germany. I see no point in dragging a brand new American vehicle to the ring because there are several tracks in America to choose from, any of which can be used to make the same point.

Besides, I can hardly see why or how a well driven, properly running 2013 GT500 wouldn't beat the ZL1 there and I don't wanna hear that it will... Fact is, that track has enough straitaway that the GT500 will indeed be able to stretch it's legs, so to speak. Once it gets on an open stretch, any lead it has over the ZL1 will only expand that much more. I don't really think there are enough really technical areas to give the ZL1 any serious advantage on that track because nearly any car will be able to reach... terminal velocity... and the one which reaches the highest speed the quickest is likely to be a real contender unless it has wretched handling, which the GT500 does not have.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

what tracks do you have a chance to drive your car on? for me, it would be vir, milleville, pocono, and a couple others. to see a comparison on similar tracks to those, would mean a lot more to me as a prospective customer.

oh yea....speed in itself is generally not the cause of collisions, but rather the drivers(or their cars) inability to handle the current situation. i see more low speed collisions than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr3SwDviPQ0
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gocartone
Ring times are by far the WORST way to compare cars. To get a good comparison between two cars you need the same driver on the same day in the same conditions, not different drivers/days/conditions on a 12+ mile track! Not to mention the fact that they aren't using factory stock vehicles to run around that track.

Speed has never killed anyone, it's the sudden stopping that will get you!
i thought the zl that was there was factory stock?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow it seems some of you may have been offended by my post just trying to figure out why people complain about THAT track and if it was solely based on the track location or the layout itself.

I do believe most "high dollar" sports cars are compared on the ring and even the cars that aren't considered high dollar in comparasion are also, think about when was the last time everyone asked what time did it do at Sebring,vir, or others they don't because the manufactures choose to go the so why can't we just accept it because you guys would never agree on one track here in the states or should they just test them on all the bigs one to satisfy the masses?

Now for you smart a$$ posters with your speed doesn't kill everything else involved does come on man you know what I meant but you had to get your jabs anyways....Fuggerz lol
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i thought the zl that was there was factory stock?
They don't come stock with a cage.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
You can like the ring all you want. I think it's a great testing grounds... for cars in Germany. I see no point in dragging a brand new American vehicle to the ring because there are several tracks in America to choose from, any of which can be used to make the same point.
This has been gone over so many times now on here, NO OTHER track offers what the 'ring does. Its not about how long it is, how long the strait is, its about the overall setup. The whole thing is very bumpy, you can't go with a typical setup, it has to be more compliant to be stable.
The beauty about the track is cars that are fast around it are generally fast at ever other track, and drive really well, were as you could be fast at other tracks yet drive much worse and be horrible on the 'ring (by being overly stiff for example).

Besides, I can hardly see why or how a well driven, properly running 2013 GT500 wouldn't beat the ZL1 there and I don't wanna hear that it will... Fact is, that track has enough straitaway that the GT500 will indeed be able to stretch it's legs, so to speak.
While it certainly may beat the ZL1 by being lighter, and having the edge of a time to shoot for, the fact that its a solid axle car is going to limit it on a track like the n-ring (a perfect example of why you want to ship a new car to germany for testing).
look how bumpy this track is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwRgSZiKTk
Think about how much more tweeking you need to do to be stable there yet still handle well vs on a smooth track, then throw in the solid axle...
(now don't get confused, this is not to say a solid axle car cannot handle, because that is simply untrue, but on a track like this it will be much more difficult than an [all else equal] IRS car.)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^thank you

Quick Reply: Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release