Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get into it, but chaman is doing a fine job on his own...

LOL... "production cars"... put any of those hand-built boutique car mills through GM, Chrysler or Ford durability tests and protocols and watch them all seize...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
662 hp is nowhere near max for that engine.

Some of the **** people say on here is just asinine.

Great job, Ford. Beautiful car, awesome creature comforts, amazing power.
On pump gas its close with that roots on top.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
CCX 806HP, CCXR 806hp, Agera, 940HP, Agera R 1100hp

The funny thing is.

All those are powered by Ford inspired engines.

I do however get the point that other cars have made more hp though.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
On pump gas its close with that roots on top.
not by a long shot
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like cooling this monster off is an issue, and Ford had to address it.

Originally Posted by Team Shelby.com
you may notice the GT500 has NO GRILL.

Cooling this beast was a challenge and the final production car has no grill.
There are even pressure activated trap doors on the fan shroud to increase cooling when needed!

the depth of testing and engineering of unique solutions for the challenges presented by this level of power is simply very impressive.......
It will be interesting to see how this thing holds up on a hot day at the track.

Some other fun facts after a discussion with SVT:

Originally Posted by Team Shelby.com
here are a few more facts about the 2013 GT500.......

the front facia was deforming into a smily face at high speeds, so it had to be reinforced......

the tires were breaking their bead and spinning right off the wheels in WOT.....so a new better gripping bead had to be designed...........

the valve stems were collapsing at high speed, so they were replaced with brass........

and it accelerates as fast as a Ford GT to 150 mph........
LINK

Last edited by Z Fury; 04-27-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

That's always an issue with those positive displacement blowers. That's the one thing that turns me off about the ZR1.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I don't think coach built cars count as "production cars" to Ford and other manufacturers. Pretty sure you can't really own a Koenigsegg in teh US anyways.

BTW, you forgot about the Saleen S7 TT, as the claim does not specify "still in production" nor "mass produced".
no one said "mass produced" they said "production"

Saleen used ford engines (i think), the ssc uses an LSx motor (as does the venom), Koneigsegg used a ford motor for its first car but then went to an in house design based on the ford engine.

production car also does not necessarily mean "available in the US" either.. otherwise everything from the lumina SS to the hilux wouldnt be considered production vehicles according to you. (yay American ignorance)

i suppose you dont consider the Veyron to be the fastest PRODUCTION car in the world either, do you? theres got to be what.. a 100 or so built a year?

hey guys, maybe be consistent on your definition of production car
Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM

My grandfather used to have a saying..., "you're just trying to pick the fly **** out of the pepper..."

It applies here... Go out, and find a websters definition of "production", throw a circle of barricades around the def./use that best supports your argument, and then parlay all your technicalities into some far-fetched defense of a who-cares notion that may possibly stroke your brand-fanboy feelings the right direction.

I mean, are you Johnny Cochran or are you a car guy?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

You drive an LT1 so who's DUMB? Read the first part of my quote before you chime in.
Originally Posted by 95batmobile
im a gm guy all the way.. but your dumb

ford-killed-it
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM

How do you run 14.1 @ 106.02 and 2.4 60-foot times? Do they spray your local track with WD-40 instead of trackbite?

BTW, back in the day I ran 13.39 @ 107.1 in my then-bone-stock 1,700-mile LT1 6-speed Corvette. I liked my LT1, and apparantly it ran stronger than your modded LS.

(I also have a 2006 GTO 6-speed BTW, ported TB & intake with tune.. SUPER great car..)
Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

That was my HHR SS with just Tune thanks. So a Tune only HHR SS would most likely have pulled you easily from a roll. Matter of fact, I know this. Thanks and Try again
Originally Posted by Iownboth
How do you run 14.1 @ 106.02 and 2.4 60-foot times? Do they spray your local track with WD-40 instead of trackbite?

BTW, back in the day I ran 13.39 @ 107.1 in my then-bone-stock 1,700-mile LT1 6-speed Corvette. I liked my LT1, and apparantly it ran stronger than your modded LS.

(I also have a 2006 GTO 6-speed BTW, ported TB & intake with tune.. SUPER great car..)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM

I was just curious, nothing serious, sheesh...

And FWIW, the Corvette didn't stay stock, and your HHR would not have wanted any of it...
Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW!! I'm a GM fan, but sorry to say, this car will kick *** of EVERYTHING!! I was thinking a bit about getting a ZL1, but now I will not get one for sure!! I could not stand getting destroyed from a GT500 after paying almost the same price!

I cant wait to hear more about this car

My 2011 GT500 with an upgraded TVS blower, big elbow, Ford Racing CJ dual-65mm TB dyno'd at 660.2 rwhp... REAR WHEEL, through my 100% stock exhaust.

So yes, there's certainly plenty more power in the well for the bigger 5.8. But the room for improvement won't be nearly as dramatic as my 2011, because the 2013 already runs the TVS blower standard...

As a P.S., of course ANY car can be modified, so stock vs. stock is the only reasonable discussion. That said, I don't see the ZL1 being as easy and/or cheap to increase HP on via mods as the Shelby, and I base that on what the CTS-V guys do... There's some SICK Caddy's showing up at the track, but alot more $$$ to arrive at the same E.T.'s as the modded Shelbys that are going 10's on just a blower-swap and slicks.
So I guess you run 10s easily, maybe 9s, according to your logic?

Your argument of one car beeing cheaper to mod vs another is 1st, false and 2nd useless. I dont see any blower swap beeing cheap, GM or Ford. Plus this thread is about the new stock GT500, so comparing the stock ZL1 would be better suited.

LSA engines have lots of go fast parts to chose from and LS engines are easier to mod internally than Ford V8.

I'm tired of this argument that modding is cheap; MODS ARE NOT CHEAP, ESPECIALLY AT THIS POWER LEVEL. This is even true for low end cars like LS3/LS1/5.0l. Unless youre driving a Honda and planning to do CAI/window tint/cherry bomb..
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2.3 tvs won't support a ton of power but it will support alot for a stock equiped blower. I think it max's out at around 800hp may be lower or higher not 100% sure.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
So I guess you run 10s easily, maybe 9s, according to your logic?

Your argument of one car beeing cheaper to mod vs another is 1st, false and 2nd useless. I dont see any blower swap beeing cheap, GM or Ford. Plus this thread is about the new stock GT500, so comparing the stock ZL1 would be better suited.

LSA engines have lots of go fast parts to chose from and LS engines are easier to mod internally than Ford V8.

I'm tired of this argument that modding is cheap; MODS ARE NOT CHEAP, ESPECIALLY AT THIS POWER LEVEL. This is even true for low end cars like LS3/LS1/5.0l. Unless youre driving a Honda and planning to do CAI/window tint/cherry bomb..
First, I wasn't trying to brag, just providing some real-world context. And by blower standards, the TVS is cheap ($3400) and installs in an hour.

Secondly, I TOTALLY AGREE that stock vs. stock is the only valid debate ongoing. But for those who are looking to "catch up" to the GT500's power/weight ratio, you're doing so without forged internals, and that's where the money comes in, or the brick wall.

And some mods ARE cheap, and maybe they'll be for the Chev too... My first mod to my car was a simple pulley and dyno-tune, which Dynojetted me from 490rwhp to 549rwhp. Right there, my car was making more power than the new ZL1 for a lousy $600 buck investment.

But you can mod ANYTHING, so don't mistake my discussion points as me rambling-off into mod-land... But I DO think that "potential" is something to consider when you're buying a hot-rod, don't you?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

First, I wasn't trying to brag, just providing some real-world context. And by blower standards, the TVS is cheap ($3400) and installs in an hour.

Secondly, I TOTALLY AGREE that stock vs. stock is the only valid debate ongoing. But for those who are looking to "catch up" to the GT500's power/weight ratio, you're doing so without forged internals, and that's where the money comes in, or the brick wall.

And some mods ARE cheap, and maybe they'll be for the Chev too... My first mod to my car was a simple pulley and dyno-tune, which Dynojetted me from 490rwhp to 549rwhp. Right there, my car was making more power than the new ZL1 for a lousy $600 buck investment.

But you can mod ANYTHING, so don't mistake my discussion points as me rambling-off into mod-land... But I DO think that "potential" is something to consider when you're buying a hot-rod, don't you?
CAI and tune are cheap for LSA and you can see as much as 54rwhp. Talk about cheap modding!! http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...d=49&Itemid=59 or this with pully for bragging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQbC6do4FI
Both engines react very well to mods. The only advantage over the Caddy is the weight IMO.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM

And the internals... As I said, you can only go so far without pulling out the big checkbook. I'd love it though if I could talk my wife into a CTS-V wagon...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This thread just derailed a bit..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Amongst all this back and forth bickering, have you boys noticed the CURVE on this engine? HOLY HOT WHEELS, BATMAN! This thing sees 350 tq just over idle and MAINTAINS 90% of available power from like 2,000rpm till LIMITER! This GT500 is officially "built for the insane" and I think it's a good idea to pray that not TOO many owners kill themselves or others while trying to handle this beast on the roads of America(and anywhere else).

To those few people who know precisely NOTHING about Ford OHC V8 engines, 662hp isn't remotely close to the limit for this design. A "lowly" 4.6L survived around 2,300hp. I'm betting 662 isn't too difficult to handle for a 5.8L with far better breathing characteristics.

It's a MONSTER! Congratulations Ford! 662hp and 5mpg better than the ZL1... Amazing!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z Fury
and it accelerates as fast as a Ford GT to 150 mph........

I can't wait to see some tests of this new beast soon...more importantly I can't wait to see it in privates hands (or Evan Smith's hands) come this fall/early winter.

Quick Reply: Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release