Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Except the ZR1 will put down a low 10 sec pass stock with DR tires anywhere from 132-135mph. Guess we need to wait & see what else the GT500 got to show us with a good set of tires. Since I haven't heard of any running with stickies?
I think it tsill weighs to much to go low 10's even with stickies. Bets heard so far is 11.6@125 bone stock. That is from motortrend. Wait till private owners get soem practice with it. Should see some low 11's high 10's bone stock.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
I think it tsill weighs to much to go low 10's even with stickies. Bets heard so far is 11.6@125 bone stock. That is from motortrend. Wait till private owners get soem practice with it. Should see some low 11's high 10's bone stock.
11.5 @ 127 is the best I have heard.

11.7 @ 129 is the best mph I have heard.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
With good conditions,slicks and a good driver it should run 10.40's maybe better, 700hp has a easy way of overcoming it's weight.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
THEY take their cars? Okay... Who is "they" anyway? The fastest ROAD LEGAL car known to cover the ring is the Viper ACR and it doesn't seem that Dodge took it. 6 of the top 10 fastest laps known to be posted were done by cars NOT even road legal at all. It's a RACE track, not a test track.
Its a race track very commonly used as a test track.

You're talking as if it is simply commonplace for all manufacturers to take their cars to the ring, but that's not even close to the reality.
Actually its pretty common now-a-days whether you actually hear about it or not. Most are not out to set records, but rather tune the car to drive, handle and ride better.
Lexus took one, the "ring" version, which had a roll cage, and it held the record anyway, for almost 2 weeks till the Viper bit...
Lexus has had multiple cars developed using the Nurburging, including their IS lineup.

Most of the cars run on the ring are from the area... Makes sense, eh? I asked before, how many times had you heard of any pony car having been taken there prior to the last few years?
None by the manufacturers, as I already pointed out they were saving money on their cars that weren't really aimed at handling in the first place.

How often previous to the last 3yrs can you recall any American car having been there? If it is as you're saying, I'm sure we'll see a very long list.
Honestly damn near GM's whole line up has had development time on the 'ring, including some SUVs.
Ford had development time with the Mustang and looks what happened, best handling mustang ever.

As for "best handling" cars going there, I don't think the Scion FR-S has been there, but we're all hearing about how wonderfully that thing handles...
Are you serious? It was developed there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SYJjE7Xrf4
Haven't heard much about any MX-5 being shown off on the ring...
Guess you haven't looked...
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/...da-miata-3615/
It sure does handle well, however. The Ford Focus handles great, but who took it to the ring? The only ones we may ever hear of from the Focus camp will say "RS" "ST" or "FR" somewhere on 'em and most of those aren't built or sold in America(yet, anyway).
And the "good handling" ones share suspension developed at the 'ring.
My biggest point is simply that most American production cars aren't tested on the ring and those few cars being taken there as of late are taken for only 2 reasons... attention and bragging rights.
So wrong.
MANY American cars are tested on the 'ring and not even talked about, so hows that for bragging rights? They do it to develop a better car that they CAN'T do on other race tracks, period.
The silly lap times are for bragging rights, but that is what it is. The development and testing that pretty much all manufactures do there is for a better all around car.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 05-25-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firebird99
With good conditions,slicks and a good driver it should run 10.40's maybe better, 700hp has a easy way of overcoming it's weight.
I honestly think 10.4's are a bridge too far just due to power to weight. This car is more in a C6 Z06's range as far as straight line performance is concerned. I think 10.7's are a possibility.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TheHitman
I honestly think 10.4's are a bridge too far just due to power to weight. This car is more in a C6 Z06's range as far as straight line performance is concerned. I think 10.7's are a possibility.
I was about to post the same exact thing LOL...10.4s is a bit of a reach for a bone stock one with just a rear tire swap in my opinion. Even with a stellar driver on the most well prepped track in seriously negative DA.
I'd almost put money on it hitting 10.7s (high 10.6s?) and even 131mph though if the clutch holds and all of the basic elements (driver/track/air) come together at once.

With full bolt ons, tuning and weight reduction these cars will very likely hit single digits on stock engine internals and with a stock blower.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok allow me to clarify this a (10.40) time was meant as a perfect run best conditons fastest of the fastest type of run not an average time with slicks sorry if my post was misleading.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
I can't wait, its such valuable info for everyone who takes their ZL1 or GT500 across the Atlantic and encounters an equally modified ZL1 or GT500 with a similarly skilled driver at the all important 'Ring
The 'Ring is the measuring stick for all performance cars. 'Ring times matter. However, 1/4 ets are more important to me that road course times.

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
i wanna see a no **** time...

rumor rolling around on another forum i frequent is its cutting 7:30's
I've heard that rumor months ago. Ford would have released the GT500's time along time ago if it did beat out the ZL1's 7:41. I don't think Ford's Trinity engine can out gun GM's magnetic ride control on track.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Ok allow me to clarify this a (10.40) time was meant as a perfect run best conditons fastest of the fastest type of run not an average time with slicks sorry if my post was misleading.
I suppose it could be possible but it sure wouldn't be easy. If a 3350 pound, 638hp C6 ZR1 can run 10.2s on a drag radial then perhaps a 3850+ pound, 662+hp Mustang GT500 with the extra advantages afforded by having a solid rear axle could bust out a 10.4x?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I suppose it could be possible but it sure wouldn't be easy. If a 3350 pound, 638hp C6 ZR1 can run 10.2s on a drag radial then perhaps a 3850+ pound, 662+hp Mustang GT500 with the extra advantages afforded by having a solid rear axle could bust out a 10.4x?
with a tune/race gas/slicks and skinnies.... and a 6 grand clutch dump...

maybe... LOL
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texas94z
The 'Ring is the measuring stick for all performance cars. 'Ring times matter. However, 1/4 ets are more important to me that road course times.
If the ring is the measuring stick, why do so few manufacturers bother taking their cars to the ring? Of those cars being "shown off" there, most aren't taken or driven by the manufacturers in the same condition as they will be sold.

I've heard that rumor months ago. Ford would have released the GT500's time along time ago if it did beat out the ZL1's 7:41. I don't think Ford's Trinity engine can out gun GM's magnetic ride control on track.
Whether or not the engine gets it done is only part of the equation. Most people who really think solid axles can't get the job done will argue that any type of IRS is better than any SRA out there. The current Ford setup is nothing short of astonishing and while magnetic ride has been tremendously hyped, we haven't seen so much improvement over the previous system. Sure, the ZL1 tracks more quickly, but it's almost 100% due to the 150hp difference. If it isn't, GM had no business using such an expensive engine over the already very capable LS3.

I don't remember where I read it, but someone way up high on the FoMoCo ladder apparently exclaimed to the world that the '13 GT500 has proven better in tests than the GT did and the GT apparently ran 7:40.6, a hair better than the ZL1.

10.40 with nothing but slicks? Even in the best conditions, that's pushing it. Sure, the mph is there, but getting the beast to launch will prove tricky, even with the apparently excellent system already aboard. I'd almost go w/ 10.50's though. .40's would stun me.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
If the ring is the measuring stick, why do so few manufacturers bother taking their cars to the ring?
Name a major manufacturer (not a no-name chinese one) that is still in buisness today that hasn't taken a car to the 'ring.
Of those cars being "shown off" there, most aren't taken or driven by the manufacturers in the same condition as they will be sold.
Im assuming you are referring to safety equipment and a roll cage? Thats so if worst case scenario the car crashes the driver has less of a chance of getting hurt/dieing.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

have any of you read evan smiths write up on driving this thing yet?

if what he says is even close to true, all the shelby need to be, is mediocre in the turns, because it's gonna *** rape the blacktop on the straight runs, most likely hitting a much higher top speed than the zl1. if it manages this, it will be faster. i suspect it may well be much faster than anyone expects.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gocartone
It's 1/4 mile trap speeds are a solid 10mph higher, I would consider that to indicate it's making a shitload more power
ZR1 not ZL1.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
There has been a 129mph trap speed recorded already.
Correct, and the ZR1 touched 134 mph at private rental shortly after its debut in 2009. That's the point I was getting at.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

how did we get back to the vette comparison again? oh yea.....'cause the camaro isn't one this time.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
how did we get back to the vette comparison again? oh yea.....'cause the camaro isn't one this time.
Unfortunately, I'll have to agree with you.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
Unfortunately, I'll have to agree with you.
i think chevy will fix it......
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i think chevy will fix it......
From what we're seeing thus far, there's basically no chance.

The bottom line is simply that the Corvette MUST be Chevy's(GM'S even) top performer. There are limits to the power and torque any car can reach and still perform in an all around sense. The ZO6 is a fine representation and while the ZR1 will beat it, not by much unless we're talking about a straight line only.

The Camaro isn't ever likely to weigh less than Corvette again. It isn't ever going to get higher HP than available in Corvette(unless GM unpredictably drops Corvette from their lineup) and there's no reason for GM to take the ZR1 to, say, 700hp. All it would do is hinder performance by making the car that much more difficult to control. Convincingly beating a car like the GT500 with a factory stock Camaro will require at least the ZL1 and in that trim, we're abundantly certain a straight line is positively NOT where anyone in a ZL1 is going to want to race this GT500. On a road course, probably there's a chance. Many things come in to play though, like number and degree of turns, how many rises and falls there are and how steep. There's so many technical aspects, it's hardly worth trying to cover. The only way I'd believe 1 dominantly superior to the other on track is to see stock vs stock, one constantly beating the others.

The ZL1 is pretty much what we expected it to be(most of us anyway) and from what little we've seen of the GT500, it's going to wreak havoc on the scene.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I really like both cars. But I hate to bust everyones bubble but 99% of camaro and mustang owners dont care about which one runs a couple of tenths faster in the quarter. For example mustang gt had less power than the camaro a lot of times they outsold the camaro. I know people that bought 09 and 10 gt s when the camaro had over a hundred more horsepower because they said 300 was enough. What Im getting at is ford did a great job on the GT500 and I dont know why people cant say that without a big argument about how crappy the ZL1 is. I promise you each car will sell all they make. And the majority of buyers will probably buy the one that the newest and the catchiest rather than a couple of tenths faster in the quarter.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any updates on the GT500 running a better time then 11.5?

Quick Reply: Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release