Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
There were just as many or more slower Mustangs before the fox bodies as well

And a vehicle assembled in Canada (F-bodies from 82-02) by parts from all over the world is less than one assembled in the USA by the same variety of parts how?
uumm...because it's not american at that point?

i actually thought the 80s camaros were built here. i thought it was the 4th gen that were the first built outside of the country.

and i know that there were slower ones before the fox bodies......as there were slower camaros too. even a point when there was no camaro, whilst the mustang sold like hotcakes. in fact, if i recall from reading, the initial release of the camaro was a flop, compared to the initial release of the mustang.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

first gens sold just fine. and combined with firebirds a couple yrs outsold mustangs.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
first gens sold just fine. and combined with firebirds a couple yrs outsold mustangs.
firebird was a completley different car back then. it still had real power.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
firebird was a completley different car back then. it still had real power.
it mustve been great to have all those engine choices back then.

but first gen. camaros were bad *** too and still one of my favorite cars. i want a hugger orange SS with an LS motor someday.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And a vehicle assembled in Canada (F-bodies from 82-02) by parts from all over the world is less than one assembled in the USA by the same variety of parts how?
82-02 built in Canada? Funny, I must have the only one built in Ohio!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

it mustve been great to have all those engine choices back then.

but first gen. camaros were bad *** too and still one of my favorite cars. i want a hugger orange SS with an LS motor someday.
the original camaros are my 3rd favorite car. 1st is the charger. 2nd is the mustang, followed by the camaro. the original camaro is however my favorite chevy of the 60's, and in my humble opinion, the absolute best looking camaro ever built. a close second is the current camaro.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

My history is off. There was a plant in St. Therese for quite some time, but only 4th gen f-bodies were assembled there.

Should do proper research before I open my mouth. Either way, the american built arguement is a fairly mute point, but to each their own. In most ways, Honda Civics, and Toyota Tundras are every bit as American as their competitors, and in some ways, even more.

Back on topic, I praised Ford for building this car, and so far, it's living up to its own hype - let's see what it can do in "stock" form, that means tires, tune, etc. The mags aren't going to be buying DRs for these things (except the more dedicated ones like Fast Fords). While I believe with aftermarket tires, it will be a monster, in stock form, the tire choice will hurt this car.

We all win with the big 3 pushing each other to make better products.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

My history is off. There was a plant in St. Therese for quite some time, but only 4th gen f-bodies were assembled there.

Should do proper research before I open my mouth. Either way, the american built arguement is a fairly mute point, but to each their own. In most ways, Honda Civics, and Toyota Tundras are every bit as American as their competitors, and in some ways, even more.

Back on topic, I praised Ford for building this car, and so far, it's living up to its own hype - let's see what it can do in "stock" form, that means tires, tune, etc. The mags aren't going to be buying DRs for these things (except the more dedicated ones like Fast Fords). While I believe with aftermarket tires, it will be a monster, in stock form, the tire choice will hurt this car.

We all win with the big 3 pushing each other to make better products.
i don't use the canadian built argument, except to get under chevy guys skin.

i'd have no problem owning a honda, or toyota. i know that most of those are built here now.

i'd like to see what it really does in bone stock trim......meaning no creative wording, like some people on here do..........
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
82-02 built in Canada? Funny, I must have the only one built in Ohio!
lol. my 3rd gen was built in van nuys. based on its build quality it was probably assembled by foreigners.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Funny, I must have the only one built in Ohio!
my 3rd gen was built in van nuys.
Mine ('87 IROC Z28 5.7L) was built in Ohio as well.

But yes, back on topic LOL.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

i'd like to see what it really does in bone stock trim......meaning no creative wording, like some people on here do..........
I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do as well. I highly doubt it will disappoint. And I agree, the "stock" arguement is so overdone.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
How much more could you squeeze out of it though is the question.
shelby sells it in 1000hp form. so id say 1000hp.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
Koenigsegg CCX, CCXR, Agera

Ascari A10 comes DAMN close at 625hp with much less displacement, and built back in 2007

How bout the ariel atom with the new 650hp V8? It's only a few measly hp away as well

Need I continue more with the list?
yeah and those are all a standard architecture engine. they are regular production designs. none of them have GM on them. lots of other facts out there.

now with that said. id take an LSA over anything out there. period.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Thought Id stir it up a little bit for some friendly conversation

the camaro is a better stylistic design. its going to sell better till GM screws it up.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Default Nurburgring testing

Here is some spy video of the 2013 GT500 testing in the rain at the 'ring.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
now with that said. id take an LSA over anything out there. period.
LS9...? The LSA is awesome, but to take it over the LS9 is like picking an LS2 over the LS3.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't they build a prototype twin turbo at one point? one that burnt to the ground or something like that?
Initial ZR1 prototype was twin turbo. It burned down.

Let me clarify my Mod motor comment a little more.

When Ford elected to move to and OHC multi valve setup, they had an opportunity to hit a real homerun. In my opinion they made a few compromises that limited the potential of the engines. They have since mostly overcome them, but I think they could have done better initially. They package protected the engines for FWD applications. Therefore you had to have a narrow bore spacing to get the engine to fit between the shock towers. That is why the 5.4's are so undersquare. They were severely limited on the bore side. Think what the Mod motor "could" have been if it's architecture could have been a little different. Imagine a 4in bore, 8000rpm capable, 5.4-5.8 , factory produced engine. I am not saying they are bad. they just missed the boat on being otherworldly.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3

When Ford elected to move to and OHC multi valve setup, they had an opportunity to hit a real homerun. In my opinion they made a few compromises that limited the potential of the engines. They have since mostly overcome them, but I think they could have done better initially. They package protected the engines for FWD applications. Therefore you had to have a narrow bore spacing to get the engine to fit between the shock towers. That is why the 5.4's are so undersquare. They were severely limited on the bore side. Think what the Mod motor "could" have been if it's architecture could have been a little different. Imagine a 4in bore, 8000rpm capable, 5.4-5.8 , factory produced engine. I am not saying they are bad. they just missed the boat on being otherworldly.
yea.....i do agree that they seriously screwed the pooch, by not hitting that one out of the park.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3

On the subject of the small bore spacing I wonder how that engine will fare with such a large bore "for a mod motor" and all that power and heat.

Probably Fords biggest failure with the modular in my eyes was its low HP value right out of the gate. Had they 96 GT's had a 260-275hp 4.6 instead of 215 most people would have been pretty happy. Though I still ask the small bore questions myself, why not go with a 3.7 inch bore out of the gate how much could that have really added to the engine width. It would have done a world of wonders not so much because of the displacement gains but because the heads would all breath so much better with unshrouded valves.

Either way no matter what the mods became they would never be the super popular with the pure racing guys as changing mutiple cams will always be more of a pain in the *** than changing one.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Here is some spy video of the 2013 GT500 testing in the rain at the 'ring.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage
In the rain to... About time Ford got smart & tested the Mustang at the ring!

Quick Reply: Official 2013 GT500 662hp Ford Press Release