Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Muscle Car Wars Circa 1985

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Batman
The mustang had headers and a holley carb, and koni shocks. THE MUSTANG WASNT STOCK LOL

They came factory with small tube headers and a Holley 4 barrel carburetor, I can't remember what shocks came on them from the factory.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Heater
They came factory with small tube headers and a Holley 4 barrel carburetor, I can't remember what shocks came on them from the factory.
^This^ The Mustang had a Holley 4V since 1983 and they came stock with shorty headers and they were roller motors.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The trans am in the view was exactly like my first car.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss the Saturday night car shows at that Dairy Queen in the video. To keep things in perspective, if you drove into that show in the mid-late 80s with a 12 second street car, everybody took notice. 11s or quicker were running Cam2 and trailored in to make money
Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I miss the Saturday night car shows at that Dairy Queen in the video. To keep things in perspective, if you drove into that show in the mid-late 80s with a 12 second street car, everybody took notice. 11s or quicker were running Cam2 and trailored in to make money
Haha, yeah the 11's were only obtainable by the big money guys or the hardcore gearheads who lived and worked for their cars. Around my way there was a bad *** 327 Vega, a 1970-71 Monte Carlo Big Block, and then came a Vorteched GT 5.0, but the T-5 got changed more often than the oil.
But I have to say an 11 sec car back then was a total beast. I remember riding in a few of them and they would scare the **** out of you. Loud, rattling, shaking, and at speed you really held on because the line was very thin between control and wrecking. But what a thrill. Now you need a 9 sec. car to give you the same sensation.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

The mustang had headers and a holley carb, and koni shocks. the iroc had bilsteins in the rear only. Suprised nobody noticed this before. THE MUSTANG WASNT STOCK LOL
mustangs came stock with holleys. they came stock with headers. they also came stock with roller cams, and i believe roller chains.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7998
Haha, yeah the 11's were only obtainable by the big money guys or the hardcore gearheads who lived and worked for their cars. Around my way there was a bad *** 327 Vega, a 1970-71 Monte Carlo Big Block, and then came a Vorteched GT 5.0, but the T-5 got changed more often than the oil.
But I have to say an 11 sec car back then was a total beast. I remember riding in a few of them and they would scare the **** out of you. Loud, rattling, shaking, and at speed you really held on because the line was very thin between control and wrecking. But what a thrill. Now you need a 9 sec. car to give you the same sensation.
i used to like my buddys 58 fairlane. 390, 4 speed, pair of holleys sitting on top. 10.90's all day long. but he gave up a LOT to go that fast.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

The mustang had headers and a holley carb, and koni shocks.
I believe that only the SVO Mustangs (turbo 4 cylinder) came stock with the Koni shocks, Mustang V8s just came with regular ol' performance oriented factory gas shocks.
The earlier cars (82-84?) did have a sort of ladder bar/traction bars type set up but the later cars (85-93?) swapped that for a 'quad shock' (two vertical and two horizontal) set up at the rear.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mid 70's through the mid 80's were dark days for the automotive industry. Those cars were such absolute crap, kids that did not live through it - feel blessed, very blessed.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I believe that only the SVO Mustangs (turbo 4 cylinder) came stock with the Koni shocks, Mustang V8s just came with regular ol' performance oriented factory gas shocks.
The earlier cars (82-84?) did have a sort of ladder bar/traction bars type set up but the later cars (85-93?) swapped that for a 'quad shock' (two vertical and two horizontal) set up at the rear.
the trx suspension had this sort of "hopper" bar. i don't know if that's the right name for it, but it was bolted to the diff housing, and it basically hit the lower control arms, much like the old style slapper bars on leaf sprung cars.
from the factory on mine, they didn't really do ****......after some minor adjustments though.....they really did work well.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
They weren't weak at the time. In that era people were still arguing that carbs were better and that fuel injection was a step back. They also thought that V8s were the only way to go for drag racing. That is until the Buick turbos got potent for 1986 and 1987 and started clowning on everything.
190hp out of an 8cyl is weak even for that year, in the 60s muscle cars were making double that power.

Last edited by adamantium; 05-28-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
The trans am in the view was exactly like my first car.

IMO, the Trans Am's were some of the best looking Pony cars in the mid 80's. They had real sharp paint schemes and rims when optioned out.
From what I remember, it was just like in the video; the Mustang wasn't the best looking at the time but was the quickest.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

brb let me save this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp9qGSikrdA
Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

The mustang had headers and a holley carb, and koni shocks. the iroc had bilsteins in the rear only. Suprised nobody noticed this before. THE MUSTANG WASNT STOCK LOL
Why am I not surprised someone would say this... Pssst... The Mustang did come stock with those parts...

I'll point out, I've read several articles over the years on this topic. There are some which say Koni and others, Tokico. At least 1 said the Koni was used for all 85-86 Mustang GT and SVO models due to the specific "handling package" offered. Another said the SVO models(after early 1984) and the 1993 Cobra were the only models to get stock Koni's. One article states both of those last two...

Whatever the case in reality, it's not just a guess that the Mustang in the video was on stock shocks. You didn't just go to the store and order up special stuff back then because Mustang was just about the only car using its specific style of suspension and the performance market was all but non-existent at the time.

Without a doubt, there were several options for Mustang in 1985. That was a great model though, because it got a good 4bbl (though autos apparently got the same type of garbage CFI system most cars were using at the time). It also missed the "TRX" days, thank God. You could still order things like rear gearing though, and option manual or power windows, etc.

The GT would have had 1.5" primary short tube non-equal length headers and the Holley carb though, regardless of which version(of 2) shocks the rear got. All of them had "quad shock" suspension by then. It wasn't until 1986 though, that all V8 Mustangs got standard dual exhaust... Someone correct me if 85's got dual too, but I don't think they did.

Originally Posted by adamantium
190hp out of an 8cyl is weak even for that year, in the 60s muscle cars were making double that power.
The rating system was different. Besides, the pre-1973 cars didn't have the government hand reaching down and plugging their intakes or exhausts, let alone the cylinder heads themselves. A 1985 I-ROC Z would whip just about any "muscle car era" entry. There were some quicker, but the number is low. The number which would handle as well is probably "zero." "Weak" or not, it was far better than the then recent prior years and still better than the less recent prior years.

IMO, the Trans Am's were some of the best looking Pony cars in the mid 80's. They had real sharp paint schemes and rims when optioned out.
Hard to argue against that... For me, the best looking and perhaps best overall pony car of the 80's was the 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA(350) and TTA tuuuurbocharged V6! It looked great, performed admirably, managed decent or better economy, handled quite well, etc. The only drawback with it was the same with any "high end" F-body. It was greatly over-priced as compared to the average budget of the pony car buyer. That's the real reason, I think, the Fox body was so much more successful in the end. It was cheaper, by thousands in many cases. My personal favorite, however, would have to be the 98-02 WS6.

From what I remember, it was just like in the video; the Mustang wasn't the best looking at the time but was the quickest.
That's the reality that pretty much everyone remotely involved at the time has etched in their mind. Pretty simple too: The Mustang weighed around 3200 lb sans driver. It had comparable or better hp than it's typical GM rival, which weighed more and usually had worse rear gearing. GM put its car at a disadvantage for drag racing. Ford put its car at a disadvantage for track racing(save perhaps the SVO/Cobra models).
Old 05-28-2012, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

THREAD SAVED!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
THREAD SAVED!
lol i was 8 when this came out and i saw this posted on honda-tech yesterday and it blew my mind because i actually remember this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwshCke0-s
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Yes, that makes this thread relevant now.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those 60s muscle cars needed over 300hp to run with a mid 80s 190hp Trans Am, both weighing nearly the same.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Those 60s muscle cars needed over 300hp to run with a mid 80s 190hp Trans Am, both weighing nearly the same.
Wasn't talking about actual performance we all know the cars of the 60s weighed alot and didn't handle well, i was talking about HP figures. As to them being weak. But apparently they cut their horsepower figures in half because of emissions? 190hp is something you see out of 4cyl cars.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

190hp is something you see out of 4cyl cars.
Not during 1983-1985 (with very few exceptions) LOL.

Quick Reply: Muscle Car Wars Circa 1985