Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Automobile Mag: '13 GT500 kills the '12 ZL1 on the strip, Part 2 of 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Ah yes...testing these cars as a "whole package". What that means to me is that at least a portion of this testing is subjective, so calling these results definitive in any way is a bridge too far.

And in case you didn't notice, I don't own a vehicle from either of the manufacturers in question here, so consider me an outsider looking in. As an outsider, I can clearly tell when one company has been outdone by the other. You, on the other hand, continue to wave this piece of garbage they are passing off as automotive literature like it was the second coming of Christ. I've said it before in other threads, and I'll say it again: this whole "but I'll own you in the twisties" argument was one that I've heard from ricer owners after they've had their doors blown off in street races. If you want to relegate yourself to that crowd, be my guest.

Maybe you are right...maybe I don't understand how ZL1 owners will actually use their cars. If it's anything like I've seen around here, it'll be more likely to see diapers rubbed all over the paint than the orange streak of parking lot cones or the tell-tale signs of an off road excursion when the owner failed to realize that 4300 pounds (driver included) is hard on everything, including brakes. But what do I know? At the end of the day, we are both internet warriors with nothing better to do than argue about the musings of others.
Yeah, but you're my #1 internet warrior.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by gtose
yeah, but you're my #1 internet warrior.
I ♥ u 2
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

11mph difference LOL

ZL1 is slow and the GT500 stupid fast.

End of story.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes...testing these cars as a "whole package". What that means to me is that at least a portion of this testing is subjective, so calling these results definitive in any way is a bridge too far.

And in case you didn't notice, I don't own a vehicle from either of the manufacturers in question here, so consider me an outsider looking in. As an outsider, I can clearly tell when one company has been outdone by the other. You, on the other hand, continue to wave this piece of garbage they are passing off as automotive literature like it was the second coming of Christ. I've said it before in other threads, and I'll say it again: this whole "but I'll own you in the twisties" argument was one that I've heard from ricer owners after they've had their doors blown off in street races. If you want to relegate yourself to that crowd, be my guest.

Maybe you are right...maybe I don't understand how ZL1 owners will actually use their cars. If it's anything like I've seen around here, it'll be more likely to see diapers rubbed all over the paint than the orange streak of parking lot cones or the tell-tale signs of an off road excursion when the owner failed to realize that 4300 pounds (driver included) is hard on everything, including brakes. But what do I know? At the end of the day, we are both internet warriors with nothing better to do than argue about the musings of others.
If the outcome of the 2 of two comparasion was GT500 you guys would agree and stroke the stang some more but because it isn't winning now you guys wanna call it crap that's funny. As for your ricer comment about the twisties thats the week argument GT500 fan boys(regardless of what you currently drive) have jumped on to make themselves feel better because the ZL1 is winning the media battle. These may not mean a thing to guys looking for a stupid fast car (stang) but for a guy that's not brand loyal and wants a car that not only goes fast but handles and rides great he would lean towards the camaro and been provin twice now.

Now grab your sword and let's battle
Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by firebird99
If the outcome of the 2 of two comparasion was GT500 you guys would agree and stroke the stang some more but because it isn't winning now you guys wanna call it crap that's funny. As for your ricer comment about the twisties thats the week argument GT500 fan boys(regardless of what you currently drive) have jumped on to make themselves feel better because the ZL1 is winning the media battle. These may not mean a thing to guys looking for a stupid fast car (stang) but for a guy that's not brand loyal and wants a car that not only goes fast but handles and rides great he would lean towards the camaro and been provin twice now.

Now grab your sword and let's battle
But that's the thing...even this one-sided article (and all the rest) have shown that the ZL1 doesn't go fast, so all it can do is go around corners, and even then, it isn't hugely faster than the GT500.

Anyone with half a brain can tell when something is published merely to generate discussion, and this was one of those pieces. They distort reality to make it fit the conclusion they wanted, which was laid out in the first of this three part disaster. That you don't seem to understand that makes me wonder if you even meet that half a brain requirement.

And I'm not even going to bring up your crappy spelling job, because it wouldn't go in your favor.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But that's the thing...even this one-sided article (and all the rest) have shown that the ZL1 doesn't go fast, so all it can do is go around corners, and even then, it isn't hugely faster than the GT500.

Anyone with half a brain can tell when something is published merely to generate discussion, and this was one of those pieces. They distort reality to make it fit the conclusion they wanted, which was laid out in the first of this three part disaster. That you don't seem to understand that makes me wonder if you even meet that half a brain requirement.

And I'm not even going to bring up your crappy spelling job, because it wouldn't go in your favor.
I guess you never misspell or word things improperly huh? Keep on trying to make a personal attack since you've realized that your precious little mustang is losing the comparison battles. Keep drinking the quarter mile kool-aid since YOU don't understand the criteria of these test it's not just about one thing but that shouldn't matter since people with the GT500 won't drive there cars on the street only 1320 at a time right? Chevy clearly expressed that this car was built to do everything not just one and it shines in all catagories as does the GT500 only think is the ZL1 seems to have a better package but I guess you won't believe until someone you like test the two.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Launching!

The ZL1 definitely does not shine at the drag strip.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I guess you never misspell or word things improperly huh? Keep on trying to make a personal attack since you've realized that your precious little mustang is losing the comparison battles. Keep drinking the quarter mile kool-aid since YOU don't understand the criteria of these test it's not just about one thing but that shouldn't matter since people with the GT500 won't drive there cars on the street only 1320 at a time right? Chevy clearly expressed that this car was built to do everything not just one and it shines in all catagories as does the GT500 only think is the ZL1 seems to have a better package but I guess you won't believe until someone you like test the two.
Where are you getting the "shines in all categories" thing? It doesn't shine at the drag strip at all, so how can you even make that argument? It is adequate at best, and honestly disappointing considering GM's HP/TQ ratings. Yes, I keep coming back to it, but only because you seem to be distorting the facts to support your position.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Launching!

A 580hp car running 12.38 @ 114mph is far below adequate.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think you would want "that guy" either since we know how much Europeans love a more refined handling machine over brute straight line speed and that would play into the ZL1's favor and some people would cry over him being biased because all he cares about is handling and not the 1320.
yea, i think i would.....because if they're truly closley matched, he's gonna say it that way. of course, every chance he got, he'd diss the american pieces of **** as he'd call them.....but he'd give his honest opinion on them. and that's all any of us want.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Nice try but you can't find one post of me trying to trash talk the GT500 to make the ZL1 the better car hell I don't have to so far two different sources have but people like you try to find a reason to take that away and that's fine because everytime they test it will be the same.

GT500=straight line king
ZL1=track king

It just so happens they are testing these cars as a whole package not just drag/track cars and that's why the ZL1 is winning so if you and others keep falling back on your straight line performance numbers because you can't understand what's going on or just choose not to that makes you more of a fanboy then anyone.

Now for the sig thats been up since the last comparasion that you guys cried about because there was no true numbers so try again fanboy....
<puts spoon in holster>

i'll back ya on this. you've argued with peoples on here as we all have. i don't recall you ever saying anything bad about the shelbys(at least not in my short time here so far).

take it for what you will though, the top gear stooges had come over here again, and took a mustang, camaro, and challenger from new york to tennesse. wanna guess which one they liked best?
that said, those guys are schmucks sometimes.....like the time they had the vette over on their track. they couldn't find performance problems with it, so they nit-picked at its build quality.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sax1031
Makes me wonder if the traction control was hurting things.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

They should have used the Automatic, so far its been the one to show better times stock.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its actually shitty.

i hope someone improves on that.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

True, agreed.
But then again according to some (myself not necessarily included), a 662hp car running only 11.7 is as well LOL.
That 125mph is impressive though.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Nice try but you can't find one post of me trying to trash talk the GT500 to make the ZL1 the better car hell I don't have to so far two different sources have but people like you try to find a reason to take that away and that's fine because everytime they test it will be the same.

GT500=straight line king
ZL1=track winner, for now
Had to correct you there buddy. The GT500 is clearly the 1/4 mile king even with such few track slips, it will easily beat the ZL1, and anyone can see this.

Now, as far as the ZL1 being the track "king"? Not really. One track, and it bearly beat the GT500 by .7 seconds... thats not a clear win, especially since track configs vary so much.

I bet you $20 paypal, that the GT500 WILL BEAT the ZL1 in certain tracks, while the ZL1 wont beat the gt500 in a heads up drag race.....
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Yes you can find a road course the GT500 will win on.

You can't find a dragstrip the ZL1 will win on.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
I bet you $20 paypal, that the GT500 WILL BEAT the ZL1 in certain tracks, while the ZL1 wont beat the gt500 in a heads up drag race.....
Yes you can find a road course the GT500 will win on.

You can't find a dragstrip the ZL1 will win on.
True.

I guess we'll have to wait and see some results from other road courses.
How many wins exactly will it take for people to be convinced though?
Will the ZL1 beating the GT500 at 4 out of 5 road courses be enough, 6 out of 9? Or will it take a unanimous 100% win at every single track that they line up at to be totally sure?
Not disagreeing the the GT500 might find a course or two where it can win or anything, just trying to determine how the overall victor on the road courses (we already definitively know who wins in a straight line) will be determined.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, agreed.
But then again according to some (myself not necessarily included), a 662hp car running only 11.7 is as well LOL.
That 125mph is impressive though.
as much as i even hate to go here.....for this, they both have weight going against em. you guys are thinking 580hp or 662hp weighing in around 3,000-3300# i would imagine.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Launching!

honestly I was surprised the GT500 ran faster than an 11.8 on street tires.

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag: '13 GT500 kills the '12 ZL1 on the strip, Part 2 of 3