Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ready for another 1le? GM misses the mark again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
bolting on parts from the bin isnt trying
what would you have them do? what would you like in this car and how much are you willing to pay?

im not saying GM couldnt have done more but they have to keep pricing reasonable and it still has to be streetable.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
The close ratio trans and the gears has to make a big difference for a roll race.
im really curious as to what people were expecting. while i wish this car was lighter most buyers dont want a stripped down purpose built drag car.

thats just how it is.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
Jeezus, that was about the worst comparison article I've ever seen. They basically compared two cars on paper, extrapolated a **** load on how they would perform, and then awarded which car they liked better. Who the **** cares? When someone actually takes these two cars to a track and records the results and numbers...then we can have a comparo worth talking about. This touchy, feel-y, subjective journalism crap really just doesn't cut it when you're comparing high power performance cars.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Jeezus, that was about the worst comparison article I've ever seen. They basically compared two cars on paper, extrapolated a **** load on how they would perform, and then awarded which car they liked better. Who the **** cares? When someone actually takes these two cars to a track and records the results and numbers...then we can have a comparo worth talking about. This touchy, feel-y, subjective journalism crap really just doesn't cut it when you're comparing high power performance cars.
LMAO. Nice magazine article . In the real world, the Boss302 is in a different performance class than the sticker packaged LE.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by raymond mckinney
I think the Dual mode exhaust,electric steering and 3.91 gear will make it a 12 second car though.
I agree...but in all fairness, even the base SS is already a 12 second car, the quickest bone stock one having gone 12.5s with plenty of others in the 12.8/12.9 range.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree...but in all fairness, even the base SS is already a 12 second car, the quickest bone stock one having gone 12.5s with plenty of others in the 12.8/12.9 range.
Hell, even the retard magazine drivers were doing 12's in 2009-2010, and like I said earlier, many of those where the fully loaded cars with all the extra bells/whistles/auto/weight. A lot of the initial cars even had the optional 21" Gm wheels Now, take into account the upgrades standars on the 2012's, and add on the 1LE option, and I wouldn't be surprised to see low 12's in a properly driven 1LE car.

Nevertheless, it still amazes me how little credit people give to GM even with the advancements they've made
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Anythings better than nothing.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

So we are comparing an RPO code option for an SS to the Boss vs GT and including the over-priced LS Boss as well?

Lets keep it apples to apples please. 1LE should be compared to the GT w/track package. Same approach from both manufacturer's. Take your standard V8 model and make it handle better. Boss is apples to oranges. Face it, you probably won't see a 5th gen model to compare to the Boss (which I think is a fantastic car - minus a chinese transmission).

I almost believe that because you guys shoot straight to Boss comparisons automatically gives the 1LE significant credibility over Ford's track package GT.

Remember...1LE is an option, not a completely different model!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a valid point that I didn't realize. But is that argument still valid if GM says the 1le's target competitor is the BOSS? I guess the true test will be to rum on the same track that the BOSS be the SS on by 2 secs to see how it stack up against it.

On an earlier post I commented on the fact that Chevy didn't upgrade the brakes and since then I've read different opinions on them some say there great others say there lacking can anyone find hard info about which is the truth?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
gm always ***** up. if you want in on the muscle car war you better buy a ford or a dodge. **** thats sad isnt it.. a dodge is nicer than a damn chevy.
The market disagrees with you. The Dodge sells the least of the three, not to mention it is the heaviest and the slowest of the three as well.

I just can't get over how tall the Challenger is. Looks like a big boat from the rear.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The market disagrees with you. The Dodge sells the least of the three, not to mention it is the heaviest and the slowest of the three as well.

I just can't get over how tall the Challenger is. Looks like a big boat from the rear.
while i think challeners look ok theyre overpriced and imo the least modern looking out of all three competitors. THEY REALLY DONT LOOK much different than its original version. sales are ok but far from great considering it offers three engines. earlier versions had a crappy interior also. cheap, shelf parts looking junk.

but isnt a 6.4 srt faster than a 5th gen?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

The 1le seems like a good car to me. I can't wait to see a vid of it handing the boss it's *** on a road course.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
what would you have them do? what would you like in this car and how much are you willing to pay?

im not saying GM couldnt have done more but they have to keep pricing reasonable and it still has to be streetable.
simple things like a better tune, a better camshaft/intake (like the boss), better exhaust manifolds, sfc's, weight loss (its a big heavy car... theres places to take weight from), better brakes (go further and maybe be GM and develop some sort of reliable low cost carbon ceramic).

could even do interesting bits like having the ZR1 twin plate clutch as an option, have dry sump as an option, essentially, you could make the car as close to the old COPO as possible but still retain the initial goal by doing some of the basic suggestions from above.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

simple things like a better tune, a better camshaft/intake (like the boss), better exhaust manifolds, sfc's, weight loss (its a big heavy car... theres places to take weight from), better brakes (go further and maybe be GM and develop some sort of reliable low cost carbon ceramic).

could even do interesting bits like having the ZR1 twin plate clutch as an option, have dry sump as an option, essentially, you could make the car as close to the old COPO as possible but still retain the initial goal by doing some of the basic suggestions from above.

that seems kind of expensive.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Already a COPO Camaro out their, and as options go, I think the single RPO 1LE adds a lot to the SS.

Remember 1LE SS vs GT w/track package - NOT Boss.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Athough I have my doubts about how much better the 1LE will perform over an SS, Chevy is claiming a sub 3 minute lap around VIR. That's 3 seconds faster than the BOSS.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

1le vs boss is the proper comparison. A SS with fe4 already had the 5.0 track pack covered.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Already a COPO Camaro out their, and as options go, I think the single RPO 1LE adds a lot to the SS.

Remember 1LE SS vs GT w/track package - NOT Boss.
those are NOT real COPO cars. the idea of COPO was ordering a street car/race car/whatever with a myriad of options that were not officially available. can you drive a modern COPO on the street? nope. can you do anything but drag race it? not without a LOT of work. can you order the car with anything you want in it? hahahahahahahahaha, no.

ultimateorangess, if you have a core package that includes a select set of things that drastically change the driving experience for the better, it would not be. the core would be brakes, suspension/chassis bits, and cam/intake. the other stuff would be optional. you could have a perfectly price 1LE right in between the SS and the ZL1 (oddly enough, the ZL1 was the RPO code for the all aluminum 427 that Don Yenko put in his cars and other COPO cars).
Old 07-23-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

dont engine parts have to be tested and certified?

also keep in mind it has to be priced in a similar range as its competition.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The Boss 302 gets:
Upgraded brembo brakes (still not as good as the standard 5th Gen SS brakes)
Upgraded power (14 more HP than the 1LE/SS, and acutally a reduction in peak torque from the standard GT)
Upgraded shocks
Dual Mode Exhaust
Short Throw Shifter
Electric power steering (standard on all new camaros)
Optional Recaro Seats
245 front/ 285 rear tires
You conveniently forgot about including the fact the Boss gets a high-revving forged engine.

Quick Reply: Ready for another 1le? GM misses the mark again.