Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ready for another 1le? GM misses the mark again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS#1531
Athough I have my doubts about how much better the 1LE will perform over an SS, Chevy is claiming a sub 3 minute lap around VIR. That's 3 seconds faster than the BOSS.
Yeah but they also claimed 11.9's on street tires with the ZL1 and we know how that turned out.

As for the guy that thinks the 1le should be a COPO that would be even further off because a COPO car was only built to go fast in a straight line where this car is built to run on a track/auto cross.

1.V6 Camaro=dd
2.SS Camaro=fun dd
3.SS 1le Camaro=fun dd with a taste for the track
4.ZL1 CAMARO=does everything fast but could be a little faster
5.COPO Camaro=factory built single digit drag car

If one of these choices can't satisfy your needs then your to f"ing picky since most of us on here mod are cars anyways and judging by the sales the general public is pretty happy with these choices also. Oh you could also take a look at ford or dodge but please no imports...lol
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
dont engine parts have to be tested and certified?

also keep in mind it has to be priced in a similar range as its competition.
could do as little as a ported ls3 intake to developing a whole new intake. the cam could be a new cam or one they know will work from another engine. this is GM, they are the masters of pinching pennies.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
could do as little as a ported ls3 intake to developing a whole new intake. the cam could be a new cam or one they know will work from another engine. this is GM, they are the masters of pinching pennies.
that they are. im all for more power but i think GM was thinking more gearing would not only help with acceleration but also with handling by keep revs up.

do you think porting a stock intake and upgrading to a slightly more aggressive cam would be more beneficial than better gearing?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
those are NOT real COPO cars. the idea of COPO was ordering a street car/race car/whatever with a myriad of options that were not officially available. can you drive a modern COPO on the street? nope. can you do anything but drag race it? not without a LOT of work. can you order the car with anything you want in it? hahahahahahahahaha, no.

ultimateorangess, if you have a core package that includes a select set of things that drastically change the driving experience for the better, it would not be. the core would be brakes, suspension/chassis bits, and cam/intake. the other stuff would be optional. you could have a perfectly price 1LE right in between the SS and the ZL1 (oddly enough, the ZL1 was the RPO code for the all aluminum 427 that Don Yenko put in his cars and other COPO cars).
I know exactly what the original COPO cars were, thanks. And all the options on COPO cars in the late 60's were "officially available" just not advertised.

I still don't agree that the 1LE should be compared to the Boss, it's still an SS model Camaro.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Launching!

i think GM was thinking more gearing would not only help with acceleration but also with handling by keep revs up
I'm very interested to see how the gearing changes affect the car.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

that they are. im all for more power but i think GM was thinking more gearing would not only help with acceleration but also with handling by keep revs up.

do you think porting a stock intake and upgrading to a slightly more aggressive cam would be more beneficial than better gearing?
Does a different gear ratio really cost GM more money in the first place. That should of been an option from the SS in 2010. Its not like they put extra gears in the car...just different ratios.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss1129
Does a different gear ratio really cost GM more money in the first place. That should of been an option from the SS in 2010. Its not like they put extra gears in the car...just different ratios.
If its "better" it's gonna cost more regardless of what it cost them.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by firebird99
If its "better" it's gonna cost more regardless of what it cost them.
Exactly, which adds up to a weak sauce excuse of a 1le. Different gear ratios for the trans doesnt cost them more than the ss. Different gear ratios for the diff doesnt cost them more than the ss. Different tires likely cost GM less than $600 to upgrade as thats what the price difference is at Tirerack. Again the wheel themselves are just different, not better.

You get a higher capacity fuel pump, and coming from GM only god knows what that means. You get beefier half shafts, which even the Camaro SS needs, again probably doesnt cost them **** over the standard one anyways. (just an assumption here). You get better shocks and a strut tower brace from gm. Aside from gearing, a monkey could build a better 1le.

Sorry but I think you can thank the current dumbass gen5 camaro owners that on everything camaro related for this car. Im guessing lowering springs, swaybars, strut tower brace and tires put a standard ss right on par with the "1le". Sorry, but the 1le should just be individual SS options.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1129
Exactly, which adds up to a weak sauce excuse of a 1le. Different gear ratios for the trans doesnt cost them more than the ss. Different gear ratios for the diff doesnt cost them more than the ss. Different tires likely cost GM less than $600 to upgrade as thats what the price difference is at Tirerack. Again the wheel themselves are just different, not better.

You get a higher capacity fuel pump, and coming from GM only god knows what that means. You get beefier half shafts, which even the Camaro SS needs, again probably doesnt cost them **** over the standard one anyways. (just an assumption here). You get better shocks and a strut tower brace from gm. Aside from gearing, a monkey could build a better 1le.

Sorry but I think you can thank the current dumbass gen5 camaro owners that on everything camaro related for this car. Im guessing lowering springs, swaybars, strut tower brace and tires put a standard ss right on par with the "1le". Sorry, but the 1le should just be individual SS options.
So let me get this straight...

You believe that to change the manufacturing internals of a transmission is free (let's not even begin to count R&D).
You think the lighter wheels are just different and not better (obviously no clue on rotational mass).
Tires I won't argue, we all know the big 3 get huge discounts to equip their cars with certain brands.
You think upgraded half-shafts cost no more than the stock SS's.
You think shocks and strut-braces are also no extra cost.

Let me add this up, transmission and rear end gearing = free. Lighter wheels = free. Half-shaft upgrade = free. Shocks and strut brace = free.

I don't know where you shop to upgrade your car with mods, but I have definitely been shopping at the wrong vendors. Could you please direct me to the place where I can add all these parts to my car for nothing...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

You believe that to change the manufacturing internals of a transmission is free (let's not even begin to count R&D).
You think the lighter wheels are just different and not better (obviously no clue on rotational mass).
Tires I won't argue, we all know the big 3 get huge discounts to equip their cars with certain brands.

Let me add this up, transmission and rear end gearing = free. Lighter wheels = free. Half-shaft upgrade = free. Shocks and strut brace = free.

I don't know where you shop to upgrade your car with mods, but I have definitely been shopping at the wrong vendors. Could you please direct me to the place where I can add all these parts to my car for nothing...
I would think that a member of LS1Tech, a site geared toward modding cars, would know the difference between upgrades after a vehicle is sold ($$$) and upgrades made in production, where parts are bought on a larger scale (less $$$). I agree those upgrades aren't free, but to think they'd add more than $1-2K to the car is pretty ridiculous. The only things I see there that would cost more are the wheels, trans, and strut brace. Everything else would replace existing parts for only a marginal price increase.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm sure most of the cost come from the magnetic shocks.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

A mm6 is tr6060 with different gear ratios, as in same amount of gears, different ratios. Nothing magical about that.

The rear gets a new gear ratio...as in the original gear doesnt go in the car...it gets a different gear ratio...as in same amount of parts and same quality.

Nobody ever said the wheels were lighter or that lighter wheels were not better. Id wait for actual weights of them to appear. They are based on zl1 wheels, they are not zl1 wheels.

The shocks no doubt cost more. The strut tower brace cost some too, but to think this is realistically a $3,500 bargin is stupid.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I'm sure most of the cost come from the magnetic shocks.
1LE does not get the MRC package.

GM is also not a charity. They are in the business of making money, not upgrading cars for cost.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I would think that a member of LS1Tech, a site geared toward modding cars, would know the difference between upgrades after a vehicle is sold ($$$) and upgrades made in production, where parts are bought on a larger scale (less $$$). I agree those upgrades aren't free, but to think they'd add more than $1-2K to the car is pretty ridiculous. The only things I see there that would cost more are the wheels, trans, and strut brace. Everything else would replace existing parts for only a marginal price increase.
I agree, you show me one vehicle with upgrades that are free of charge from any manufacturer.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After looking over the parts list it seems like a good price since we would spend as much if not more to add those parts and we would run the risk of losing the warranty(for those who care) but at the same time I'm glad it's just a ss option because I feel a 1le "model" would be a let down when compared to a boss and I'm not buying the vir sub 3:00 crap but I hope I'm wrong and these little changes makes a big difference. Only time will tell...
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

anyone have what GMs cost is on a 1le option?

from what ive seen 5th gens arent really marked up that high. yes, of course as you load them up they are but from what ive read an upper 30k 2ss isnt marked up a ton.

GMs job is to be profitable but like anything else its our choice to buy one or not and this option has me interested.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by firebird99
After looking over the parts list it seems like a good price since we would spend as much if not more to add those parts and we would run the risk of losing the warranty(for those who care) but at the same time I'm glad it's just a ss option because I feel a 1le "model" would be a let down when compared to a boss and I'm not buying the vir sub 3:00 crap but I hope I'm wrong and these little changes makes a big difference. Only time will tell...
warranty is also a factor. having that is valuable. for those who want it which i sure would.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
You conveniently forgot about including the fact the Boss gets a high-revving forged engine.
Thats the upgraded power I mentioned. I didn't really mention the specs of any of the upgrades, just the areas.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, you show me one vehicle with upgrades that are free of charge from any manufacturer.
I gladly would, but they don't break things down that way. Changing gear ratios in a truck adds a new package, as in you can't ONLY do a gear ratio change.

But if you are seriously going to sit there and tell me that it costs more for GM to install a 3.91 in the rear of that car than it costs to install a 3.70...
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z Fury
But if you are seriously going to sit there and tell me that it costs more for GM to install a 3.91 in the rear of that car than it costs to install a 3.70...
Have you ever worked in a manufacturing plant? More specifically a mass production plant? Have you ever visited a GM assembly plant? If so, you would or should understand how a minor change can have major impacts on the assembly process and more importantly the bottom line.

***EDIT: FYI - A gear change on the Mustang was extra even when it was not part of the track pack. A gear change on the Ram trucks also costs more.

Last edited by MI-Z/28; 07-24-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Ready for another 1le? GM misses the mark again.