Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ready for another 1le? GM misses the mark again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

/sarcasm i'm sure GM got the Stig to drive and they secretly removed weight from the car
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin99hoss
/sarcasm i'm sure GM got the Stig to drive and they secretly removed weight from the car
Yeah, only GM cheats...Ford/Nissan are all 110% legit.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ GM lost some respect with there claims of 11's stock with the zl1 so some people including myself are a little hesitant to believe anything directly from GM until they can redeem themselves.....
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
^^^ GM lost some respect with there claims of 11's stock with the zl1 so some people including myself are a little hesitant to believe anything directly from GM until they can redeem themselves.....
The Ring numbers with the zl1, the zr1 and the cts-v are legit. Plus in the GM video linked they said they used DR's for the time. I dont know how people missed that or are still complaining about it.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Well they may have been lying and they may not've been...but it sure would suck if you were throwing them under the bus for/falsely accusing them of something they didn't even do though.

Originally Posted by ss1129
Plus in the GM video linked they said they used DR's for the time. I dont know how people missed that or are still complaining about it.
No, actually it was emphatically stated afterwards in some of the articles about that day that while they were testing drag radials that day, they DID NOT use them/need them to run those 11.9 second passes.
I wasn't there (I'm assuming that none of you were either) so I can't say if they're telling the truth or not but those 11.9s are being claimed as pure bone stock times.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss1129
The Ring numbers with the zl1, the zr1 and the cts-v are legit. Plus in the GM video linked they said they used DR's for the time. I dont know how people missed that or are still complaining about it.
I was reffering more to just the quarter mile times of the zl1 not there ring times.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Well they may have been lying and they may not've been...but it sure would suck if you were throwing them under the bus for/falsely accusing them of something they didn't even do though.
Your right it would suck but i defened GM when that drag video came out about them using/not using dr's that it would run 11's yet nobody has been able to be to run 11's (stock tires) and I'm sorry but if a car can't run 11's year round then its not a true (IMO) 11 second car it's a if all the conditions are right I can hit 11's just like the gt500 has to have proper conditions to hit 200.

No, actually it was emphatically stated afterwards in some of the articles about that day that while they were testing drag radials that day, they DID NOT use them/need them to run those 11.9 second passes.
I wasn't there (I'm assuming that none of you were either) so I can't say if they're telling the truth or not but those 11.9s are being claimed as pure bone stock times.
See this is what I'm talking about some yes some say no yet the only way ANYONE has been able to run 11's is with dr's and that's why Im a little upset with GM and not so quick to believe them when they say they are able to beat a BOSS mustang on a road course by seconds not just tenths.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Looks like the 1LE is 4 seconds faster around VIR than the Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition. Pretty impressive IMO.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Looks like the 1LE is 4 seconds faster around VIR than the Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition. Pretty impressive IMO.
If more test continue to show these results it will be a good day for GM since the car has less power,more weight,a back seat and no MR. Also let's not forget the (10,000) difference in price looks like Chevy has tried hard to redeem itself.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

If more test continue to show these results it will be a good day for GM since the car has less power,more weight,a back seat and no MR. Also let's not forget the (10,000) difference in price looks like Chevy has tried hard to redeem itself.
I really hope more tests yield similar results. It would make this thread look pretty stupid.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

yet the only way ANYONE has been able to run 11's is with dr's
True, but it's also been very hot out as well, give it some time.
It will never stay with a 2013 GT500 in a straight line, that's a given...but we will see/hear about a bone stock ZL1 running in the high 11s before 2012 is over, maybe even in the 11.7s (but I'm not counting on that part).
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, but it's also been very hot out as well, give it some time.
It will never stay with a 2013 GT500 in a straight line, that's a given...but we will see/hear about a bone stock ZL1 running in the high 11s before 2012 is over, maybe even in the 11.7s (but I'm not counting on that part).
There was a company (can't remember what one) that ran 11.80's bone stock within a month of the ZL1's public release...there's videos of it somewhere.

CTS-V's have run 11.80's bone stock with smaller tires, less power, and less advanced suspension. I wouldn't be shocked to see 11.70's out of a bone stock ZL1 as more and more of them hit the road.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
There was a company (can't remember what one) that ran 11.80's bone stock within a month of the ZL1's public release...there's videos of it somewhere.

CTS-V's have run 11.80's bone stock with smaller tires, less power, and less advanced suspension. I wouldn't be shocked to see 11.70's out of a bone stock ZL1 as more and more of them hit the road.
That's why we're scratching our heads at why the zl1 has been so ******* slow compared to its cousin regardless of the weather it should run atleast 11.90's in the heat and even faster when conditions are better. Don't get me wrong I love the zl1 and would buy it over a gt500 in a heart beat but nobody can explain its poor showing at the strip.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the ZL1 run the same auto gearbox as the CTS-V?

And on the 1LE lap time at VIR: that's damn impressive (provided it's legit ). If the 1LE equipped SS does indeed best the Boss 302 on the track then we have to just chaulk it up to the Mustang hitting its head on the ceiling as far as what can be done with the live axle. But there's no denying that Ford did a bang up job pushing that suspension technology to its absolute limit, and I view the current Boss 302 as the last true old school muscle/pony car.

Whatever anyone's disapproval of the direction either of these two cars (the current Mustang and Camaro) have taken, this generation of pony cars will go down in history as one of the best ever.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147

And on the 1LE lap time at VIR: that's damn impressive (provided it's legit ). If the 1LE equipped SS does indeed best the Boss 302 on the track then we have to just chaulk it up to the Mustang hitting its head on the ceiling as far as what can be done with the live axle. But there's no denying that Ford did a bang up job pushing that suspension technology to its absolute limit, and I view the current Boss 302 as the last true old school muscle/pony car.

Whatever anyone's disapproval of the direction either of these two cars (the current Mustang and Camaro) have taken, this generation of pony cars will go down in history as one of the best ever.
^^^^Yeah and for so long we heard stories about how great it was and that it would never be that good again then we hit the era of ls motors(97 and up) and super charged mod motors (03 and up) and its way better then those old guys talk about.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

^^^^Yeah and for so long we heard stories about how great it was and that it would never be that good again then we hit the era of ls motors(97 and up) and super charged mod motors (03 and up) and its way better then those old guys talk about.
theres better days ahead too.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

Amen!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

I believe it is the same (6L90) yes.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://jalopnik.com/5931109/camaro-1le-around-the-block
No hard numbers but interesting none the less.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I look at the 1le pkg is that for the $3500 you get the wheels , shocks, the splitter,
The car pulls 1g But best of all gets 3.91 gears and better shafts, so it seems like a cool package. If I get 5th gen ill definately get the 1le, probably a 1ss but I'd like the HUD.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28pat
The way I look at the 1le pkg is that for the $3500 you get the wheels , shocks, the splitter,
The car pulls 1g But best of all gets 3.91 gears and better shafts, so it seems like a cool package. If I get 5th gen ill definately get the 1le, probably a 1ss but I'd like the HUD.
You left a couple out here you go-Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels
285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-cornering
Visually, the 1LE package for 2013 is distinguished by its matte-black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.
Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded microfiber.

Also the tranny itself has different ratios compared to a basic SS.

Quick Reply: Ready for another 1le? GM misses the mark again.