Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Yep.....and you can believe everything he says if you want and ride his. Why don't you go and make yourself busy swapping a mod motor in your vette? They're awesome and you need one.

remember Irunelevens has never touched the 13's.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can tell by watching the cars that the Shelby is much less predictable. In a couple of spots in the vid is was pushing like a dump truck right into a snap loose situation. That's the chassis giving up. Tires could mask it for a while. But more than likely it would aggravate it once wear started.
Not defending the GT500 but theres far too much going on to simply say the "chassis is giving up". Suspension geometry, wheel rates (spring rates, shock rates, bumpstop rates, swaybar rates, bushing rates etc.), then factor in the solid axle and how that behaves with the given suspension. Far too many variables to point at one. They likely made the rear suspension a little too stiff.
For example simply changing out the stock shocks for some Konis on a 4th gen fbody take the car from handling like an S10 pickup to handling like a composed, predictable sports car.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Not defending the GT500 but theres far too much going on to simply say the "chassis is giving up". Suspension geometry, wheel rates (spring rates, shock rates, bumpstop rates, swaybar rates, bushing rates etc.), then factor in the solid axle and how that behaves with the given suspension. Far too many variables to point at one. They likely made the rear suspension a little too stiff.
For example simply changing out the stock shocks for some Konis on a 4th gen fbody take the car from handling like an S10 pickup to handling like a composed, predictable sports car.
You gotta remember the main chassis of GT500 started out at about a $20-25k car with a v6. Now it's working on going to $65k. I would hope what they give you something that is up to par.

Definitely not a good comparison on your part on the 4th gen, a car designed in the early 90's I would expect to need some help. Especially with a $15k starting price.

The facts are this, Ford put a monster motor in their car. GM put a good motor in their with a great chassis(could be better if lighter but we all know this, it is what it is). I can make up that 80hp easier than you can the Mustang to handle with the Camaro.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 08-01-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You gotta remember the main chassis of GT500 started out at about a $20-25k car with a v6. Now it's working on going to $65k. I would hope what they give you something that is up to par.
Thats arguably wrong, the Mustang, just like any other performance car out there was built ground up for their performance trim (in this case the Coyotee V8, in the Camaro's case an LS3, 4th gens case the LS1 etc etc). Then striped down for their "base" model. They didn't make a V6 then decide to throw a V8 in it later, if anything its the other way around.

Definitely not a good comparison on your part on the 4th gen, a car designed in the early 90's I would expect to need some help. Especially with a $15k starting price.
The comparison has to do with totally changing the way the car handles with something as simple as shocks (and often with out cars mistaken for a chassis issue).
Ford may have comprised with some of the suspension resulting in what you see in the vid (just like GM really compromised with the Fbodies decarbon shocks).
Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

There is a bit more to that car than needing shocks. Could something else help it?? maybe. But it may be at the sacrifice of ride. I'm sure ford did what they could with what they had in that department, but it's never gonna be a IRS car. I've watched all the vids I could find on tests of these 2 cars. There is also some in car of them, the Camaro is just much smoother handling car that ready for a set of r-compound tires to let her really rip. It looks just that composed on track, the Ford doesn't. But it does a hell of a job making up for it on the straights. If the 2 were matched in power it would exploit the Mustang chassis to the point that you would say what a pos.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Thats arguably wrong, the Mustang, just like any other performance car out there was built ground up for their performance trim (in this case the Coyotee V8, in the Camaro's case an LS3, 4th gens case the LS1 etc etc). Then striped down for their "base" model. They didn't make a V6 then decide to throw a V8 in it later, if anything its the other way around.
What's funny is that not only was he wrong on that, he failed to mention that the Camaro started its life as a 4-door sedan.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure they were both designed with a v8 in mind. But there is no doubt that with the starting price there are also compromises made to get them in the target price range. Do you think ford don't make money on a v6 car?

Ps....how's that mod motor vette swap goin?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 PM
***Repost Police***

I know exactly what it is. It's a bigger 5.0 with forged internals. Ford did a great job on it. But mod for mod the bigger motor will win. And upping the boost on the ZL is gonna make a huge difference.

Also fyi.....I don't car what either makes on race gas. So putting a splash in one or the other is not in the conversation.

The lsa has been in the cts-v.....it gets to the 10's pretty slick in a bigger heavier car. Last time at the track I watched a stock auto CTS-v go a 12.1 on just a dr.....and out run the 5.4 gt 500.
The 5.8 isn't related to the 5.0 any more than the 4.6 is. Which is hardly at all. And 5.4 GT500s have gone deep 11s with just DRs. It does not matter one bit whether or not you've seen it.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gocartone
What's funny is that not only was he wrong on that, he failed to mention that the Camaro started its life as a 4-door sedan.
Yes but some could also argue that the mustang chassis also stems from a sedan platform.

"Considered a new platform by Ford Motor Company, D2C is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type."

At the end of the day regardless of where the cars started nothing matters but how it finishes and Chevy has provin it's chassis and suspension to be top dawg as ford has done the same in the motor department stock vs stock that is.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 5.8 isn't related to the 5.0 any more than the 4.6 is. Which is hardly at all. And 5.4 GT500s have gone deep 11s with just DRs. It does not matter one bit whether or not you've seen it.
Your right, nothing matters except what you write on the internet. I should not believe my own eyes.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I told you, but you wouldn't listen...

Don't bother, he's just going to keep throwing the "I haven't seen it with my own two eyes" flag
Your right, nothing matters except what you write on the internet. I should not believe my own eyes.
Same thing he says every time he gets backed into a corner. His two eyes are what makes things exist; you and I are just make believe until we meet this guy face to face so he can turn us into real people
Old 08-01-2012, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

I told you, but you wouldn't listen...

Same thing he says every time he gets backed into a corner. His two eyes are what makes things exist; you and I are just make believe until we meet this guy face to face so he can turn us into real people
Yea....and all this babbling bs actually means something.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

HioSSilver away!.....Seriously....get out of here.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by kewlv8
So wrong, read up on the Shelby powerplant. LSA is not new, it is in the 2012 CTS-V. The Shelby 5.8 is a more free breathing variant of the 2012 5.4 GT500. In 2012, the forged 5.4 > LSA, stock for stock, mod for mod. How do you think the forged 5.8 will compare?
I know exactly what it is. It's a bigger 5.0 with forged internals. Ford did a great job on it. But mod for mod the bigger motor will win. And upping the boost on the ZL is gonna make a huge difference.

Also fyi.....I don't car what either makes on race gas. So putting a splash in one or the other is not in the conversation.

The lsa has been in the cts-v.....it gets to the 10's pretty slick in a bigger heavier car. Last time at the track I watched a stock auto CTS-v go a 12.1 on just a dr.....and out run the 5.4 gt 500.
Just putting this out there again...
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
HioSSilver away!.....Seriously....get out of here.
Yea...I'm out here to leave you guys so you can modify the ford to make it better and not touch the camaro and whine.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea...I'm out here to leave you guys so you can modify the ford to make it better and not touch the camaro and whine.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Just putting this out there again...
Your point is what....do you even know what your talking about?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your point is what....do you even know what your talking about?
That you didn't, and still don't know WTF you are talking about.

You wouldn't happen to be a member of camaro5, would you? If not you should join. Lots of blind fanboi-ism over there for you to agree with.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
That you didn't, and still don't know WTF you are talking about.

You wouldn't happen to be a member of camaro5, would you? If not you should join. Lots of blind fanboi-ism over there for you to agree with.
And your point is what again?? So let me get this straight. I'm the fanboy and your the Ford guy on a LS sight trying to convince me of the Ford superiority......but I'm the fanboy.

Nice try.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And your point is what again?? So let me get this straight. I'm the fanboy and your the Ford guy on a LS sight trying to convince me of the Ford superiority......but I'm the fanboy.

Nice try.
They are commenting on what you said about the 5.8 Trinity engine being a bigger 5.0 Coyote. It is not. The 5.0 Coyote only share bore spacing, deck height, rod length, and bellhousing patterns with the older modular engine. The 5.8 Trinity is based off of the tall deck 5.4 block in order to fit the 4.165 in stroke.

Quick Reply: Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500