Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

6th Generation Camaro to be built in America

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6th Generation Camaro to be built in America

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/19/c...us-once-again/

General Motors has announced that the next generation of the Chevrolet Camaro will once again be built in the United States, specifically at the Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant in Lansing, MI. The current Camaro has been assembled in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, since its introduction in 2010.

The automaker cites "lower capital investment and improved production efficiencies" as key reasons for the move – indeed, the Camaro is the only rear-wheel-drive vehicle made in Oshawa; the Buick Regal and Cadillac XTS are currently manufactured there, and the upcoming Chevrolet Impala will join the front-wheel-drive group in 2013. Meanwhile, the Lansing facility currently produces two rear-wheel-drive vehicles – the Cadillac ATS and CTS – which makes the Camaro a natural fit.

The Canadian Auto Workers Union is, as expected, none too pleased by the "callous and poorly thought-out" announcement, "reacting in anger and frustration" according to a statement. CAW National President Ken Lewenza added, "General Motors has once again shown a complete and utter disregard for its workers and also Canadians in general, whose tax dollars kept the company out of bankruptcy."

The CAW says that "GM must replace lost Camaro production on a one-to-one basis." The automaker's own statement says it will "continue to meet the production targets agreed to with the Canadian and Ontario governments during the 2009 restructuring." In any case, production of the current Camaro will continue in Ontario until the next-gen model is ready to go on sale sometime within the next few years.
As you can read above the ATS is built at the plant where the 6th gen will be which pretty much confirms that the next Camaro will be on the alpha platform.

Last edited by jmurray87; 12-19-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Launching!

This will not be the first time the Camaro will be produced in the United States.

I am happy to see this. Solidifies some jobs in my area. Now if GM would look into some more magnesium parts from my plant (which is just a few miles down the road from the Grand River assembly plant), they could shave some considerable weight from this pig. I am guessing GM is using a steel IP on the current Camaro. 75% weight savings by switching to mag.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, my mind went completely dumb for a moment...fixed.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
This will not be the first time the Camaro will be produced in the United States.

I am happy to see this. Solidifies some jobs in my area. Now if GM would look into some more magnesium parts from my plant (which is just a few miles down the road from the Grand River assembly plant), they could shave some considerable weight from this pig. I am guessing GM is using a steel IP on the current Camaro. 75% weight savings by switching to mag.
ok,but the question is what will it cost?

but im happy to read this.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
ok,but the question is what will it cost?
Magnesium parts or the entire vehicle?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Glad to hear it.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Magnesium parts or the entire vehicle?
how much would it add to the cost of a vehicle on average?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
how much would it add to the cost of a vehicle on average?
Not sure, but for reference we cast the lift gate for the Lincoln MKX and I believe it sells for just over $100 per part. It is a low volume runner, we CNC it, polish it, paint it, and do some minor assembly work.

Edit: By the way, I just found out the Cadillac ATS is already utilizing an aluminum IP, hood, engine cradle, and shock towers. Much lighter than steel. For cost purposes I do not know if the 6th gen Camaro will receive these same aluminum parts or not. But again mag is 33% lighter than aluminum.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmurray87
As you can read above the ATS is built at the plant where the 6th gen will be which pretty much confirms that the next Camaro will be on the alpha platform.
I could've told you this 2 years ago. I's know's stuff's

Quick Reply: 6th Generation Camaro to be built in America