Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine the G8 GXP is pretty close to the Camaro SS since they have the same motor and chassis. Evidently they didn't test it since it's not a new car but with the Chevy SS coming out in the near future maybe they will throw that in the mix.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I would imagine the G8 GXP is pretty close to the Camaro SS since they have the same motor and chassis. Evidently they didn't test it since it's not a new car but with the Chevy SS coming out in the near future maybe they will throw that in the mix.
Im not certain, but I thought the G8 GXp's weighed more. Plus they were riding on the older version of the Camaro's platform. 2012 saw huge upgrades to suspension even on the standard SS over the 2010-2011 cars, and the 2012+ cars are the ones setting all these numbers, especially the 1LE.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000SSNavyblue
How exactly will the ZL1 get the hole shot ever, if every mag has consistently shown the GT500 quicker 0-40, 0-60, etc? Its just not going to happen no matter how much you wish that it would, all things being equal. I understand the brake fade and we are comparing stock vehicles. However, after some use, pads, rotors and fluid are changed at some point and as many members do here, they do not replace with stock items, at times even improved items. For a few hundred you can get brake cooling kits, if your going to track your GT500 you may as well spend the money. Even still, Ford should be working to address the brakes for the 2014 GT500 with cooling ducts or better. As far as those of you who talk about racing and moving over, I'm comparing the two on the same track at the same time. Me in a GT500 and you in a ZL1, I get the jump and stay in the lead the whole 1st lap, Im not going to move over for you to pass if your on my tail, in a turn, plus after the turn, Im going to stomp on it and your going to fade back, then you may catch up in a turn again but again, not enough hp or handling to pass me in the turn so your on my tail, then the turn ends and I stomp on it and you fade again. Repeat cycle, over and over, lap ends and I win. Now we do this a 2nd lap and the same. Now Im seeing my brake issue, I have won 2 laps and have to stop, your over there making excuses about going more laps and you would have won, Im like sure, sure you got me, wink, wink. 2 weeks later we do the same and I have a brake cooling kit on for $300 or less and we do more laps and low and behold, no brake fade and you are doing the same repeat cycle except this time you are saying how I had to spend $300 to win. Next time you come with a pulley and tune but guess what I did the same and the cycle repeats, until the tires go bald on the GT500 first, blow out and then you pass, or maybe you run out of gas before that happens as the ZL1 can't get the MPG's. Bottomline there is no hole shot and as a daily driver, we know which car will dominate the other each and everytime. Either way, GM did good with the ZL1 and competition is a good thing.
Nice story; would read again.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It would probably out perform the ZL1 on the road course.
If they offer a 1LE next year with the LS7 for around $45k I will be very tempted to sell my Camaro to put a down payment on one.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000SSNavyblue
How exactly will the ZL1 get the hole shot ever, if every mag has consistently shown the GT500 quicker 0-40, 0-60, etc? Its just not going to happen no matter how much you wish that it would, all things being equal. I understand the brake fade and we are comparing stock vehicles. However, after some use, pads, rotors and fluid are changed at some point and as many members do here, they do not replace with stock items, at times even improved items. For a few hundred you can get brake cooling kits, if your going to track your GT500 you may as well spend the money. Even still, Ford should be working to address the brakes for the 2014 GT500 with cooling ducts or better. As far as those of you who talk about racing and moving over, I'm comparing the two on the same track at the same time. Me in a GT500 and you in a ZL1, I get the jump and stay in the lead the whole 1st lap, Im not going to move over for you to pass if your on my tail, in a turn, plus after the turn, Im going to stomp on it and your going to fade back, then you may catch up in a turn again but again, not enough hp or handling to pass me in the turn so your on my tail, then the turn ends and I stomp on it and you fade again. Repeat cycle, over and over, lap ends and I win. Now we do this a 2nd lap and the same. Now Im seeing my brake issue, I have won 2 laps and have to stop, your over there making excuses about going more laps and you would have won, Im like sure, sure you got me, wink, wink. 2 weeks later we do the same and I have a brake cooling kit on for $300 or less and we do more laps and low and behold, no brake fade and you are doing the same repeat cycle except this time you are saying how I had to spend $300 to win. Next time you come with a pulley and tune but guess what I did the same and the cycle repeats, until the tires go bald on the GT500 first, blow out and then you pass, or maybe you run out of gas before that happens as the ZL1 can't get the MPG's. Bottomline there is no hole shot and as a daily driver, we know which car will dominate the other each and everytime. Either way, GM did good with the ZL1 and competition is a good thing.
So you want to mod the more expensive gt500 to keep up with the stock zl1?????? Cause while your modding your brakes I'm putting a tune/pulley( or probably just the bigger tvs it shoulda came with) on the zl ad making the gap bigger. If you think you can hold off a car that's 3sec a lap faster your a fool.

If I'm modding the ZL1 you will lose....and in a very big way. The ZL chassis is ripe and ready for more power. The gt500's chassis is already taxed with power and a poor weight bias.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 01-01-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't mind seeing the 1LE perform with the full magnetic ride suspension from the ZR1/ZL1 since it only borrows some of it and toss in a LS7 = done and sold.

BTW back in July the 1LE went 2:58 around the track which puts it ahead of the GT500/Boss302....sorry Ford.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar133103.html

Last edited by jmurray87; 01-01-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmurray87
I wouldn't mind seeing the 1LE perform with the full magnetic ride suspension from the ZR1/ZL1 since it only borrows some of it and toss in a LS7 = done and sold.

BTW back in July the 1LE went 2:58 around the track which puts it ahead of the GT500/Boss302....sorry Ford.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar133103.html
I'd rather see them keep the current suspension on the 1LE and just drop a LS7 in it. This would keep MSRP down, and I also believe it would keep vehicle weight down. The magnetic ride system adds a considerable amount of weight does it not?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is true, it probably does weight a little more then what they use and would drive the price up.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Im not certain, but I thought the G8 GXp's weighed more. Plus they were riding on the older version of the Camaro's platform. 2012 saw huge upgrades to suspension even on the standard SS over the 2010-2011 cars, and the 2012+ cars are the ones setting all these numbers, especially the 1LE.
They weigh about the same and both use the Zeta chassis but the Camaro's is a slightly newer version. There's no doubt the enhancements made in 2012 would give the Camaro the advantage but I would imagine the new Chevy SS will also get those same improvements.

Seeing the Camaro and the G8 share alot of the same suspension parts it's possible those upgrades might fit the G8. If anyone knows what was changed to the suspension on the 2012 Camaro I would like to know and do some some research to see if those parts are compatible with the G8.

Usually the factory parts are cheaper than aftermarket parts, for instance the GMPP upgrades for the Grand Prix that improve handling and braking. I know the Brembo brakes and the wheels from the Camaro fit the G8, same goes for the rear end.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Launching!

So Hio what happened here? look at 8.48 of the flim..
EXCUSE NO.1?

Last edited by kennyxg; 01-01-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Teching In

so the ZL1 can never be beaten by a GT500 on a road course - except for when it is

BTW, i only posted this image up(with the whole 'delicate vagina' thing) because i'm far too lazy to go find the 4 individual track tests listed and post them up(and it's obviously missing this comparison, bringing them to 2-2-1).
cue the "two posts since 2008???" comments
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0

so the ZL1 can never be beaten by a GT500 on a road course - except for when it is

BTW, i only posted this image up(with the whole 'delicate vagina' thing) because i'm far too lazy to go find the 4 individual track tests listed and post them up(and it's obviously missing this comparison, bringing them to 2-2-1).
I spit my beer all over my screen! lol!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmurray87

Ugh. Not again. One lap time on an undocumented car does not a faster car make. Does ANYONE have some legit lap times for the 1LE OTHER than this singular VIR lap run that has been posted TO DEATH???

Sorry, but if this were any other make of car posting a single better lap than the new Camaro, there would plenty of skepticism being displayed here instead of ready acceptance. I'm not trying to be a stereotypical excuse maker here ( I don't think any of these new Mustangs or Camaros are jokes nor require any), but I want an honest-to-God, head to head lap time comparison.......at ANY track. All the comparos posted between these two cars thus far simply weigh the basic metrics and measure up the intangibles. Why can't we just get a simple lap time comparison?

I don't even see a lightning lap time listed for a 1LE. Is no one racing this car yet????
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0

Yes, on a road course with plenty of long straights everyone knows gives the GT500 a nice advantage. It's been said many times here that the GT500 is better on straights where the ZL1 seems to do better on the corners compared to the GT500. I think the fact I like to try and point out is the ZL1 is a FAR better car then what people seem to give it credit for. Just imagine what the car would be like if it wasn't so heavy.

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Ugh. Not again. One lap time on an undocumented car does not a faster car make. Does ANYONE have some legit lap times for the 1LE OTHER than this singular VIR lap run that has been posted TO DEATH???

Sorry, but if this were any other make of car posting a single better lap than the new Camaro, there would plenty of skepticism being displayed here instead of ready acceptance. I'm not trying to be a stereotypical excuse maker here ( I don't think any of these new Mustangs or Camaros are jokes nor require any), but I want an honest-to-God, head to head lap time comparison.......at ANY track. All the comparos posted between these two cars thus far simply weigh the basic metrics and measure up the intangibles. Why can't we just get a simple lap time comparison?

I don't even see a lightning lap time listed for a 1LE. Is no one racing this car yet????
The 1LE has only been available for the past couple months so not really a surprise that we haven't seen that many test on it yet. Watch come spring we will see plenty of magazines putting the 1LE against the Boss302. Also I see 2 different lap times posted in this thread for the 1LE so obviously someone is racing it already.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope so. We all have a pretty good idea now of how the GT500 and ZL1 stack up on the strip and the track. It's time we get a clear idea of whether the 1LE is a legit Boss killer, or just a better handling SS.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Ry_Trapp0;17022805]

It seems they are close around a roadcourse, with the slight edge towards the ZL1. Depending on the track of course.

Also, your chart excludes the Lightning Lap time I posted on this thread, where the ZL1 is faster.
So the roadcourse tally should be a tie.

BUT WAIT! There's More!

There is another test that you didn't include at all.
Auto Bild Motorsport, a popular European Car Magazine.
Both cars piloted by Guido Naumann around the Sachsenring on the same day.
ZL1 time: 1:38.13
GT500: 1:38.26

http://www.germancarforum.com/commun...-gt-500.46775/

So based on the few comparisons, the ZL1 is technically ahead of the GT500 around roadcourses.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 01-02-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
They weigh about the same and both use the Zeta chassis but the Camaro's is a slightly newer version. There's no doubt the enhancements made in 2012 would give the Camaro the advantage but I would imagine the new Chevy SS will also get those same improvements.

Seeing the Camaro and the G8 share alot of the same suspension parts it's possible those upgrades might fit the G8. If anyone knows what was changed to the suspension on the 2012 Camaro I would like to know and do some some research to see if those parts are compatible with the G8.

Usually the factory parts are cheaper than aftermarket parts, for instance the GMPP upgrades for the Grand Prix that improve handling and braking. I know the Brembo brakes and the wheels from the Camaro fit the G8, same goes for the rear end.
On the FE4 2012+ standard SS cars (non-1LE) it's repositioned and larger/solid swaybars and "re-tuned" dampners, as well as a few tweaks in the suspension geometry. From what I've gathered, it's a lot of little tweaks that make a pretty noticeable difference. I also know the 2012+ front strut towers are different from the 10-11 cars, and also provide factory mounting holes for a STB (thanks to the convertible). Just a lot of little things like that.

I remember seeing on another forum pictures of the new sway bars, and the floor pan design in the trunk of the 5th gen was re-made with "humps" in them for 2012 to accomodate the new suspension revision.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyxg
So Hio what happened here? look at 8.48 of the flim.. http://youtu.be/iVTU5r5sK9E EXCUSE NO.1?
who know's?? I'm not driving. It's not my car and I know neither of the drivers. Do you know??

My guess is on track days there are massive differences in experience for the drivers. Kinda like at the drag strip on a typical day, but on a road coarse it's even more exploited. You would know this if you had a ounce of sense.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
On the FE4 2012+ standard SS cars (non-1LE) it's repositioned and larger/solid swaybars and "re-tuned" dampners, as well as a few tweaks in the suspension geometry. From what I've gathered, it's a lot of little tweaks that make a pretty noticeable difference. I also know the 2012+ front strut towers are different from the 10-11 cars, and also provide factory mounting holes for a STB (thanks to the convertible). Just a lot of little things like that.

I remember seeing on another forum pictures of the new sway bars, and the floor pan design in the trunk of the 5th gen was re-made with "humps" in them for 2012 to accomodate the new suspension revision.
Those are some pretty elaborate changes to the chassis so I'll just add some bigger swaybars and some FE3 struts from the GXP and call it a day. That should improve the handling of my car since my suspension is all stock.

Some guys have added a strut brace to the G8 and it didn't make much difference. Another thing I might do is replace the suspension bushings with BMR since the stock bushings are pretty soft and get their HD rear trailing arms.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
who know's?? I'm not driving. It's not my car and I know neither of the drivers. Do you know??

My guess is on track days there are massive differences in experience for the drivers. Kinda like at the drag strip on a typical day, but on a road coarse it's even more exploited. You would know this if you had a ounce of sense.
You just contradicted your self...so why even comment! You should work for car and driver! lol! If you see a vid with a gm beating another car regardless of make you say it's true! Your comments are irritating at best...

Quick Reply: ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013