Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The Cadillac version of the Chevy Volt Appears

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Your clear intent is to hate the car and clearly do not understand a word of what I wrote.

Seems obvious to me that you have no idea what I'm talking about
It's more than obvious to me that you clearly didn't read what I wrote, otherwise you would have found it very very clear that I have done far more research on the car than you and have, and also have a clear understanding of its purpose and why I feel it has a distinct advantage (domestic energy usage, unlimited supply of energy generation, etc.).

I also never said the Volt was a cheap, I clearly said people don't buy it to "save gas"; it's more than obvious that it doesn't mathematically work - thanks for pointing it out several times though. And again - as I've already stated and you clearly didn't read - people buy it because they feel a personal responsibility or like what the car stands for - energy independence.

A burn off system for the VOLT makes perfect sense, except the part about NOT using the gasoline portion of the vehicle, which clearly many VOLT owners are claiming... If they're not adding any gasoline, the system must sit completely empty. That's about as useful as **** on a boar hog
To me, this means that they like the electrification system and are using it. The vast majority of owners, do drive their cars other places that are farther than 40miles, and therefore do use the gasoline system. When they say they are not using the gasoline system, I presume they mean during the course of the year they are mainly using the battery/electric system and seldom use the gasoline side unless necessary.

You've just rambled on about the same points you already addressed and added nothing more to the discussion; you don't like the car, don't understand it's purpose, don't like energy independence, and think your money is better spent on a Prius or other 4 cylinder car - got it.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BanditTA
^^Your clear intent is to hate the car and clearly do not understand a word of what I wrote.

It's more than obvious to me that you clearly didn't read what I wrote, otherwise you would have found it very very clear that I have done far more research on the car than you and have, and also have a clear understanding of its purpose and why I feel it has a distinct advantage (domestic energy usage, unlimited supply of energy generation, etc.).

I also never said the Volt was a cheap, I clearly said people don't buy it to "save gas"; it's more than obvious that it doesn't mathematically work - thanks for pointing it out several times though. And again - as I've already stated and you clearly didn't read - people buy it because they feel a personal responsibility or like what the car stands for - energy independence.

To me, this means that they like the electrification system and are using it. The vast majority of owners, do drive their cars other places that are farther than 40miles, and therefore do use the gasoline system. When they say they are not using the gasoline system, I presume they mean during the course of the year they are mainly using the battery/electric system and seldom use the gasoline side unless necessary.

You've just rambled on about the same points you already addressed and added nothing more to the discussion; you don't like the car, don't understand it's purpose, don't like energy independence, and think your money is better spent on a Prius or other 4 cylinder car - got it.
You have your opinion and you're entitled to it... You don't HAVE to be correct, and you've proved it here. You're not actually arguing against me, but the masses of Americans who simply WILL NOT purchase a VOLT(ELR, or any other 'green' car) because it simply doesn't make sense to have one, period. It's not about what you think is "neato" or special. It's about what the public at large is willing to spend their money on and all but a tiny percentage of people in America have apparently decided this type of car really isn't for them, end of story.

Those who buy them don't really bother me in general, but to me, most are utterly clueless as to what they're really buying. Most are like you, thinking they know what this really is, but having no real idea what it costs, not only in terms of wasted cash, but in terms if wasted fuel because, oddly enough, electricity doesn't simply fall from the sky. In America, about 80% of it is produced by BURNING COAL! The only "green" involved, is the color of money. I don't hate the car. I'm simply glad to be intelligent enough to NOT buy one. To each his own.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by It'llrun
You have your opinion and you're entitled to it... You don't HAVE to be correct, and you've proved it here. You're not actually arguing against me, but the masses of Americans who simply WILL NOT purchase a VOLT(ELR, or any other 'green' car) because it simply doesn't make sense to have one, period. It's not about what you think is "neato" or special. It's about what the public at large is willing to spend their money on and all but a tiny percentage of people in America have apparently decided this type of car really isn't for them, end of story.

Those who buy them don't really bother me in general, but to me, most are utterly clueless as to what they're really buying. Most are like you, thinking they know what this really is, but having no real idea what it costs, not only in terms of wasted cash, but in terms if wasted fuel because, oddly enough, electricity doesn't simply fall from the sky. In America, about 80% of it is produced by BURNING COAL! The only "green" involved, is the color of money. I don't hate the car. I'm simply glad to be intelligent enough to NOT buy one. To each his own.

Douchbag Alert!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It'd take you probably 10-15 years just to break even on purchasing one of these. Because a lot of people aren't even considering the up front cost on purchasing the vehicle. You have to pay that off, and then you can start working towards breaking even on fuel consumption/better mileage.

Until the power companies start charging 50 cents a KWH for electricity.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Not to get to intwined in the arguement here, but I believe Bandit is trying to say that he bought the car as a way to become U.S. energy dependant instead of foreign oil. Doesn't look like he was advocating any $$ savings or green peace by owning a Volt.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Again, my opinion, but the Volt is currently a niche car very similar to the Corvette; there is a specific demographic that has an interest, it will never be Impala or Camry. According to Bob Lutz GM is breaking even on selling the car, they sell the car for the same cost of building it, and while doing so are helping their brand/image by showing the public they don't just build Escalades and pickups. I look at this first gen Volt as a halo car (similar to the 94-96 Impala), it brings people to the website/dealership and possibly sells a Cruze or equal instead. GM has stated the next gen Volt (which tells me they are already working on the design and planning to continue with the technology) will cost substantially less, very similar to the first gen Prius that you've mentioned, it to was very costly at first but is now relatively cheap (nobody ever remembers this).

but in terms if wasted fuel because, oddly enough, electricity doesn't simply fall from the sky. In America, about 80% of it is produced by BURNING COAL! The only "green" involved, is the color of money
According to GM that is actually 51%, but ya, I agree, it isn't clean (although coal power generation has become substantially more clean and effective lately and the EPA is forcing them to do better). That is however where the Volt really shines. SolarPV has become very very cheap and in doing so allows the average consumer to charge their Volt using solar for basically nothing (upfront cost for small solarPV system is pretty cheap). There are also small hydro generators that people are using on the outfall of ponds and in streams to generate power. There are infinite ways of making power.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Launching!

A co-worker of mine has the nissan leaf ... he charges it every night on a timer, about $1 or $2 dollars to charge it each night... gets 75-80 miles per charge.

So if you lease one with unlimited miles, or buy one... if you drive enough, that right there will cover the cost of the car payment and insurance payment just not having to buy gas. I personally wouldn't want to drive one (ugly little things, plus its a nissan), but it seems like a no brainier to me.

If this Caddy version had 80 mile range on batteries I would be at interested
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Volt doesn't make financial sense or ecological sense (green-wise), but who cares? A Camaro doesn't make any financial sense, ecological sense, or have the practicality of a Cruze; yet it doesn't get the scathing opinions of the Volt. Seriously, what's the point of a Camaro if the Cruze can (legally) do the same things a Camaro can (driving point A to B) but for less up-front cost, more practicality, better fuel economy, and arguably the same maintenance cost.

Does anyone stop to think that some people might be buying the Volt because they think it's cool? Remember now, cool is a subjective term; its definition lies in the individual. Some individuals may covet technology over going fast and burning tires.

If the Volt has to make financial sense in order to be a viable automotive option then we really should only need one car maker, with a handful of models that only cater to the number of people and how much stuff you need to carry.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it... & Ive been seeing A LOT more Volts in my town lately. About time! Took people a little bit to catch onto the Volt
Old 06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
The Volt doesn't make financial sense or ecological sense (green-wise), but who cares? A Camaro doesn't make any financial sense, ecological sense, or have the practicality of a Cruze; yet it doesn't get the scathing opinions of the Volt. Seriously, what's the point of a Camaro if the Cruze can (legally) do the same things a Camaro can (driving point A to B) but for less up-front cost, more practicality, better fuel economy, and arguably the same maintenance cost.

Does anyone stop to think that some people might be buying the Volt because they think it's cool? Remember now, cool is a subjective term; its definition lies in the individual. Some individuals may covet technology over going fast and burning tires.

If the Volt has to make financial sense in order to be a viable automotive option then we really should only need one car maker, with a handful of models that only cater to the number of people and how much stuff you need to carry.
Most of us tend to think of specific vehicles based on the advertisement and whether or not we think it's true and/or correct.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Most of us tend to think of specific vehicles based on the advertisement and whether or not we think it's true and/or correct.
...ok
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

They market it as "green" fuel savings etc. etc. However a smart consumer can see that it is neither. 40K plus for the car, but all people think about is oh I don't have to fill it up for a month, yet they don't think they just spent 40 grand on a car. So really there are no savings until the break even point.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon5212
They market it as "green" fuel savings etc. etc. However a smart consumer can see that it is neither. 40K plus for the car, but all people think about is oh I don't have to fill it up for a month, yet they don't think they just spent 40 grand on a car. So really there are no savings until the break even point.
ok.

The Volt doesn't make financial sense or ecological sense (green-wise), but who cares?
...well

Does anyone stop to think that some people might be buying the Volt because they think it's cool?
apparently not.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

...ok
OK... So the answer to your question is, yes we think and therefore, we don't buy that kind of car because the majority of us are intelligent enough to know we're being fed a load of crap when it happens. Any car like the VOLT has the same issue. It's absolutely not "as advertised" in reality.

People who buy Camaro, conversely, have a rather strong understanding of what to expect. They may indeed be let down, but it won't be a gradual thing like with VOLT. They'll never have to concern themselves with whether or not their "cool" car will need a several thousand dollar battery replacement in the future, or whether or not they can get it to move in cold weather, or in any sort of hurry, for that matter.

Apparently most people don't buy the VOLT because they think it's cool(it isn't cool). Most who buy VOLT are just too stupid or ignorant to understand it's not what GM claims it is. They see the final product and decide it's "all that" and never realize what was WASTED to create the overpriced vehicle they like, or what will be wasted in the future on those vehicles. Since a person can buy a nearly identically performing vehicle for roughly $15,000 less, VOLT sales aren't good. With that being the case, sales never will be good. Since most people already know that our government is looking for ways to sabotage the entire coal industry out of existence, and they know it's by far the most popular source for the creation of electricity, they also know electricity PRICES will be going up, creating a bigger waste of money for the battery charging.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

OK... So the answer to your question is, yes we think and therefore, we don't buy that kind of car because the majority of us are intelligent enough to know we're being fed a load of crap when it happens. Any car like the VOLT has the same issue. It's absolutely not "as advertised" in reality.

People who buy Camaro, conversely, have a rather strong understanding of what to expect. They may indeed be let down, but it won't be a gradual thing like with VOLT. They'll never have to concern themselves with whether or not their "cool" car will need a several thousand dollar battery replacement in the future, or whether or not they can get it to move in cold weather, or in any sort of hurry, for that matter.

Apparently most people don't buy the VOLT because they think it's cool(it isn't cool). Most who buy VOLT are just too stupid or ignorant to understand it's not what GM claims it is. They see the final product and decide it's "all that" and never realize what was WASTED to create the overpriced vehicle they like, or what will be wasted in the future on those vehicles. Since a person can buy a nearly identically performing vehicle for roughly $15,000 less, VOLT sales aren't good. With that being the case, sales never will be good. Since most people already know that our government is looking for ways to sabotage the entire coal industry out of existence, and they know it's by far the most popular source for the creation of electricity, they also know electricity PRICES will be going up, creating a bigger waste of money for the battery charging.
So just to sum this up;

1. You hate the Volt

2. Cool is only what you say it is

3. You know exactly what everyone thinks when they buy a car, for every car.

4. Youre narrow-minded.

I'll bet you that 99% of Volt owners think it's a cool car. If you cant understand that cool means different things to different people, youre an idiot. Its a car thats different from practically any other car on the market and is an exercise in new technology in an attempt to curb our dependance on oil. It was never meant to make money or sell like hotcakes. Its a buzz car and all youre doing by talking about it is ensuring that it did its job.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

So just to sum this up;

1. You hate the Volt

2. Cool is only what you say it is

3. You know exactly what everyone thinks when they buy a car, for every car.

4. Youre narrow-minded.

I'll bet you that 99% of Volt owners think it's a cool car. If you cant understand that cool means different things to different people, youre an idiot. Its a car thats different from practically any other car on the market and is an exercise in new technology in an attempt to curb our dependance on oil. It was never meant to make money or sell like hotcakes. Its a buzz car and all youre doing by talking about it is ensuring that it did its job.
Summing this up, you're being an idiot who thinks that just because you disagree, I have to be wrong.

I don't hate the VOLT. Simply because I wouldn't waste my money on an overpriced car from GM doesn't mean I hate it. This idiocy would've never been what it is, were it not for our government and dummies running GM for the past 30yrs. It's an exercise in FUTILITY with its technology! Had they decided on Hydrogen, it might be considered new, even though Honda has been doing that for about a decade already. VOLT could be better, by all means.

Those who purchase the VOLT probably do think it's cool, but their objectivity is suspect, at best. The car is highly over-priced and will likely only be out-priced by it's twin wearing the Cadillac emblem, regarding similar vehicles. I'd personally rather several similar vehicles in its category, nearly all of which outsell VOLT, individually. Those are the prices you pay for technology.

If VOLT is trying to help cut our dependency on foreign oil, why does it use to much? After all, LEAF uses none once it's built... except to replace parts, all of which need oil for production on some level.

The narrow minded one is you, claiming I hate VOLT simply because I'm not stupid enough to fall in lock-step with you. We don't agree. GROW UP and realize it, then move on with your life. You've never even sat in a VOLT, have you? No, but it's awesome in your opinion... Whatever.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Summing this up, you're being an idiot who thinks that just because you disagree, I have to be wrong.

I don't hate the VOLT. Simply because I wouldn't waste my money on an overpriced car from GM doesn't mean I hate it. This idiocy would've never been what it is, were it not for our government and dummies running GM for the past 30yrs. It's an exercise in FUTILITY with its technology! Had they decided on Hydrogen, it might be considered new, even though Honda has been doing that for about a decade already. VOLT could be better, by all means.

Those who purchase the VOLT probably do think it's cool, but their objectivity is suspect, at best. The car is highly over-priced and will likely only be out-priced by it's twin wearing the Cadillac emblem, regarding similar vehicles. I'd personally rather several similar vehicles in its category, nearly all of which outsell VOLT, individually. Those are the prices you pay for technology.

If VOLT is trying to help cut our dependency on foreign oil, why does it use to much? After all, LEAF uses none once it's built... except to replace parts, all of which need oil for production on some level.

The narrow minded one is you, claiming I hate VOLT simply because I'm not stupid enough to fall in lock-step with you. We don't agree. GROW UP and realize it, then move on with your life. You've never even sat in a VOLT, have you? No, but it's awesome in your opinion... Whatever.
Agree to disagree, now you can go play kick the can or some ****.

Quick Reply: The Cadillac version of the Chevy Volt Appears